My Grades from Week 1 vs Panthers

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

2 years of resources:

Signing McGovern

Signing Van Roton

Signing Fant

Signing Lewis

Signing Moses

Were these guys top of the market? Serious question. I think we wanted to believe it would be better, but the line was already bad with the first 4 guys. There was no real reason to believe that suddenly those 4 guys that sucked last year world be good this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

2 years of resources:

Signing McGovern

Signing Van Roton

Signing Fant

Signing Lewis

Drafting Becton

Trading up to take AVT

Signing Moses

Given the resources we've put into this unit it should be far better.

Writing up like that makes it worst ngl.

JD free agents suck, we had no RT on the roster he passed up on Conklin (who went to the browns and got 1st team allpro) to sign a seattle backup for 12m a year.

His clock is ticking

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yes

McGovern was a top 10 Center

Moses was a top 10 RT last year

Becton was the 11th pick in the draft

AVT was the 14th pick in the draft

I didn't ask you about Becton and AVT.

When was the last time McGovern was top 10?

What was GVR grading last year?

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yes

McGovern was a top 10 Center

Moses was a top 10 RT last year

Becton was the 11th pick in the draft

AVT was the 14th pick in the draft

Mcgovern was the 3rd option after he strike out on every good free agent that year.

Moses is not that good, he's ok at best. He was cut and signed a 3m deal with a 2-14 team, that shows you what the league thinks of him.

Being the 11 or 14th pick in the draft doesn't make you good, im not a AVT believer was fuming after we traded up for him, but i will not give up on him. Becton has to get his sh*t straight, too much talk hype him up got him slopy with his technique.  

Stop arguing over pennies and get this oline fixed up, stop with the DAN FEENEYS of the world.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
29 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

2 years of resources:

Signing McGovern

Signing Van Roton

Signing Fant

Signing Lewis

Drafting Becton

Trading up to take AVT

Signing Moses

Dont forget giving khalil $10M to play like UDFA

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I said the Jets used a lot of resources on OL, you said its the same line plus a rookie and an old man. The resources we've used have been over the course of 2 years. McGovern was a top 10 center in Denver the year before we got him.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Mcgovern was the 3rd option after he strike out on every good free agent that year.

Moses is not that good, he's ok at best. He was cut and signed a 3m deal with a 2-14 team, that shows you what the league thinks of him.

Being the 11 or 14th pick in the draft doesn't make you good, im not a AVT believer was fuming after we traded up for him, but i will not give up on him. Becton has to get his sh*t straight, too much talk hype him up got him slopy with his technique.  

Stop arguing over pennies and get this oline fixed up, stop with the DAN FEENEYS of the world.

All I'm saying is the amount of resources we've used towards the OL should have produced better results than what we got so far.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

2 years of resources:

Signing McGovern

Signing Van Roton

Signing Fant

Signing Lewis

Drafting Becton

Trading up to take AVT

Signing Moses

c'mon.  even you knows good olines just don't happen overnight.  you watch, by the break this oline will be pretty darn good.  they may surprise and play pretty well against the patsies.    and let's be clear about mims.  he had one catch, albeit a good one.  does that warrant starting over the other guys?  maybe.  i was a little surprised moore didn't do as well he was touted.

• Upvote 1
Just now, rangerous said:

c'mon.  even you knows good olines just don't happen overnight.  you watch, by the break this oline will be pretty darn good.  they may surprise and play pretty well against the patsies.    and let's be clear about mims.  he had one catch, albeit a good one.  does that warrant starting over the other guys?  maybe.  i was a little surprised moore didn't do as well he was touted.

Oo 100% the OL is not a finished product. They will get better as the season rolls on. I didn't expect the type of effort we got today after seeing them push guys around all preseason. (I know vanilla D but Zach was kept clean)

As for Mims, we saw him play well last year in his limited opportunities. I have no problem with him being behind Keelan Cole when healthy but Cole wasn't in yesterday. In that situation I'd like to see Mims over Jeff Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

All I'm saying is the amount of resources we've used towards the OL should have produced better results than what we got so far.

we just gotta give it a chance.  even the olines of the past two seasons looked much better after a few games.  granted this oline has more paper talent and i would expect it to come around faster but even so it's a new system for 4/5 of the line.

• Upvote 2

Mims not being used is hard to fathom especially with Crowder and Coles out. I had the same feeling about Josh Adams who, when used always produced -Not that it mattered in this game: Barry Sanders, as a fan rightfully observed, would not have made many yards behind our O- line. Adjustments were made in halftime, but should have been made earlier. Both lines were bad, d- line did not push Darnold at all in the first half and allowed Mc Caffrey to run wild. They improved in the second half but it was too late. Was impressed with Wilson though, despite some early miscues. He has star written all over him if only we could protect him. Wilson, Davis and Ammendola were impressive. The defensive backs held up better than expected. The team is work in progress and the lack of depth is worrisome. Play calling also, lacked creativity.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

The OL is really pretty patchwork outside of the 2 high draft picks. You've got 3 positions with "looking to upgrade" status.
14 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Zach tossed that idiotic INT.

Other than that, kid looked real good.

He got his ass whooped out there for a while, yet still played well.

I wanted to keep Sam, but I'll admit we upgraded with Zach.  

Let this oline learn, and we'll have something.  Give it another game or 2.  I think Zach is legit.

Zach is definitely an upgrade over Darnold.  Like you, I wanted to keep Sam.  

I was wrong, and at least we both can admit it now. 

Sam took advantage of his opportunities, just like he would have done if he remained a Jet.  Nothing has changed in that regard.  If the QB's had switched sides before the game, the Jets would have gotten beaten much worse than they ultimately did.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, isired said:
8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The OL is really pretty patchwork outside of the 2 high draft picks. You've got 3 positions with "looking to upgrade" status.

Sure, I think we take a Center in the first this year, kid from Iowa looking good. RT I think we let Fant and Moses duke it out and bring 1 back. We gotta solve RG in the worst way.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch

Special Teams - A

- This is purely because of the way Ammendola stepped up. Didn't have an opportunity to get points today but was impressed with his punts

Defense

DL - D

- Got zero push against a suspect OL. Did play better in the 2nd half but the damage was done.

LB - F

- McCaffrey went off - 21 Rush for 98 yards, 9 rec for 89 yards. He was the X Factor and we didn't have an answer

- Good to see Mosley in action, he's the only semi bright spot from this unit

Secondary - C

- Thought this was going to be the weak spot. Redwine getting roasted by Robby was the only real glaring issue but there is a reason he's 3rd on the depth chart. Need Joyner and Davis back.

Offense

OL - F

- Whole unit looked like garbage. Becton goes down with the sprain hopefully he gets back before too long. Right side of the line damn near got Wilson killed today. Completely unacceptable give the resources used on this unit.

RB - D

- Only reason this unit doesn't get an F is because of how poorly the OL played. 2.6 ypc is never going to go well. Our blitz pick up was atrocious today, need to get better.

WR - B

- Let's be serious, Corey Davis saves this grade. Too many drops and too many targets going to the wrong players. Mims needs to be in the starting lineup.

QB - B+

- Zach finishes 20/37 54% | 258 Yards | 2 TD | 1 INT - 5ish drops & Sacked 6 times. Kid is tough, didn't look rattled, fought back. We need to protect him, he looks special when he has time.

Coaching - B

- Saleh - team didn't quit, loved seeing some 2nd half adjustments. 

- Lafleur - Why so much Berrios and no Mims? We needed to see some screen passes to neutralize the pass rush.

I will say that it has been a while since they panned to a coach on the sideline and he didn’t seem clueless or incompetent. Bowles did the statue thing, and Gase… Oy vey.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, rangerous said:

Why are people not realizing that Moore missed the entire preseason, scrimmages and part of training camp????   This is his very first real NFL action in pads; give him a little time.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Rewatching the passing plays, it looks like switches REALLY created havoc for us with pressure up the middle - AVT and McGovern need to improve communication (aside from that AVT was least egregious on line). Meanwhile, Fant and GVR just got overwhelmed on the right. We seemed much more clean after Becton's injury not because Fant did any better on left but because Moses held his own more. 

On Lafleur - I think it's a mixed bag. His OL looked unprepared for switches and overloads (he was too slow to make adjustments) and yet it was first game ever calling plays and he had a rookie QB out there getting killed. He was really engaged with Zach whenever Wilson was off the field and it looked so different with how Sam and other QBs have been handled - that could also be Zach's curiosity. Either way, Zach didn't fold and he got stronger as the game went on - I'd like to think there is some coaching there, esp as I've often blamed a lack of coaching when our young qbs have folded. 

If Mims did have his best practice of the season on Friday as Lafleur allegedly told the cbs guys, I really can't explain why he didn't play. 

Lastly, such a shame Moore missed preseason. We needed him today and he was a total non factor. 

Great post. I was pretty disappointed with Moore— probably one of my biggest disappointments. I believe he will get there, but I had a lot of hope in him and was super excited to see him yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

- Good to see Mosley in action, he's the only semi bright spot from this unit

You lost me here, Mosely was brutal, he was constantly caught out of position and missed many tackles. He had me missing Neville Hewitt.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

For any younger player attempting to learn the new offense and who ended up missing a chunk of time during training camp through injury, the chances are they were never going to impress in their first game.

That goes for rookies Elijah Moore, AVT and second year boy Mekhi Becton.

Joe Douglas is going to have to shut us up this season with gradually improving oline play.    I have faith in Morgan Moses being serviceable at right tackle. I'm skeptical about GVR, Fant and McGovern... but yes, it's early. His mediocre collection of talent better not get boy wonder killed back there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Sure, I think we take a Center in the first this year, kid from Iowa looking good. RT I think we let Fant and Moses duke it out and bring 1 back. We gotta solve RG in the worst way.

Running GVR out there again as a starter was full on neglect by the GM.  
What did he expect was going to happen?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, vic said:

-Not that it mattered in this game: Barry Sanders, as a fan rightfully observed, would not have made many yards behind our O- line.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

On the contrary.  Barry Sanders would have produced just fine behind our OL.  Never in his entire career did he have a decent offensive line or a passing attack.  It was kill the guy with the ball and led to some of the most entertaining play since Ollie Matson showed how it was done back in the 1950s.  Barry finally tired of it and retired long before he was done.

Next to Terrell Davis, Sanders is the best I ever saw (honorable mention Bo Jackson).

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

When do quality OL hit free agency, AND want to sign here?  Sure, I guess Douglas could have make a market-setting offer to Conklin but he opted to devote higher resources towards OL in the draft. 

Becton and AVT are obviously question marks who need to work out for Douglas in the long run.  But free agency was never really going to be where this OL was fixed.

3 hours ago, clayton163v said:

On the contrary.  Barry Sanders would have produced just fine behind our OL.  Never in his entire career did he have a decent offensive line or a passing attack.  It was kill the guy with the ball and led to some of the most entertaining play since Ollie Matson showed how it was done back in the 1950s.  Barry finally tired of it and retired long before he was done.

Next to Terrell Davis, Sanders is the best I ever saw (honorable mention Bo Jackson).

Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers for me. Brown is the goat. Sayers was the craziest, Sanders 3rd place. OJ 4th.