Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity

JetNation

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's good to see all of the elite athletes weighing in on what Mims shoulda done, and what they would have done in his place....

I would've leapt over the defender, doing three separate triple pirouettes and soared right into the endzone where I slam dunk the football on the field goal post, knocking it down and causing all the lights in Bank of America Stadium to explode.

But that's just me.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh was asked why Mims didnt play in his press conference today.  Now he threw out some nonsense about the guys ahead of him werent tired and didnt need to come out but then he let it slip.  He mentioned that mims doesnt know all the receiving positions.  It was a nice way of saying that Mims isnt bright and just cant pick up this playbook.

If he’s behind Berrios he probably won’t dress when Crowder and Cole come back.

8 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Mims did something to piss off the new coaching staff.  He’s in their doghouse clearly

yea? and who gets to own that? the kid who stayed up past his bed time, or the parents that run the house. You can't crucify a guy forever some fkcing vague ambiguous sh*t..... CS have learn how to lead better. 

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh was asked why Mims didnt play in his press conference today.  Now he threw out some nonsense about the guys ahead of him werent tired and didnt need to come out but then he let it slip.  He mentioned that mims doesnt know all the receiving positions.  It was a nice way of saying that Mims isnt bright and just cant pick up this playbook.

Finally some clarity.  Thanks for this, J W. N.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And finally? 

We have the answer to what is “off” about Denzel Mims?  

I doubt that he isn’t bright enough.  There are some not too bright guys that play in the NFL, including WR.

I think, probably, he is just lazy and won’t learn all the positions.  This isn’t nuclear chemistry.  It’s study and memory.  

He needs a library session with Coach Carter.

9A6483B8-6F4B-403D-B9A6-C01453625AED.jpeg.3f4914164b23120cc9aafceab27a7447.jpeg

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

He made a nice catch when he was wide open.  Made zero effort to get into the end zone.  I thought the guy looked like he dogged it on his one big catch. 

Dude seriously? What, you want him to fluff your pillows too? Maybe he will read your horoscope as well. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Great post, I agree totally.  On one hand, you didnt want veterans around on certain positions for reps and on the other, you sign Davis, restructure Crowder, sign Cole, keep Smith and Berrios who all takes reps from Mims and Moore.  Then you have Tevin Coleman starting asking him to do things he can not do taking reps from Carter, Perrine, Johnson.  Confusing, to say the least. 

Is Coleman some elite pass blocker? I didn’t see it but I can’t figure any other reason he sniffs the field. He is bad. Ty Johnson must have missed some blocks or something because wtf

What??? How can I play you if you don't know what you're doing ? That's why he's buried in the depth chart ,,he's lucky he still is on the team .

yea? and who gets to own that? the kid who stayed up past his bed time, or the parents that run the house. You can't crucify a guy forever some fkcing vague ambiguous sh*t..... CS have learn how to lead better. 

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

Is Coleman some elite pass blocker? I didn’t see it but I can’t figure any other reason he sniffs the field. He is bad. Ty Johnson must have missed some blocks or something because wtf

There was a play where Ty released into the right flat, ran right by a free rusher, I mean like inches from the backer, and Wilson got blasted in the back from the blind side.  I don’t know if Johnson was supposed to pick him up, or Wilson was supposed to recognize it was coming.    They did put Johnson back in the game after that… 

I have heard color guys mention sometimes the QB or RB can be at fault in a situation like that.  Beyond my Xs and Os understanding but it looked bad.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If he’s behind Berrios he probably won’t dress when Crowder and Cole come back.

But this isn’t a college team.  Mims makes big plays.  At what point are they simply cutting their nose to spite their face by not playing him?  Instead of harping on what mims can’t do, why not exploit what he can do?  He’s 6’4” with an incredible wingspan.  If this coaching staff can’t figure out how to get this guy the ball and help wilson, i have little faith in them.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

He made a nice catch when he was wide open.  Made zero effort to get into the end zone.  I thought the guy looked like he dogged it on his one big catch. 

This is wrong. 

People keep saying it and it’s just not true. Go watch it again, he dropped his shoulder and tried - what y’all keep talking about was after his foot as out of bounce.  Watch it again, you’ll see him step out and that’s when he let up.  

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I would've leapt over the defender, doing three separate triple pirouettes and soared right into the endzone where I slam dunk the football on the field goal post, knocking it down and causing all the lights in Bank of America Stadium to explode.

But that's just me.

Yeah, hung over and smoking a Marlboro Red.

Psshh

• Haha 2

I’m not ready to panic on this coaching staff yet but Mims’s usage/playing time and then Fant getting the start over Moses are two decisions that don’t really make any sense. What do Jeff Smith and Braxton Berrios do better than Mims? Moses has been a top 12-15 right tackle the last like four year why isn’t he starting? I don’t know what they’re seeing in camp but it definitely didn’t translate to yesterday’s game. 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I’m not ready to panic on this coaching staff yet but Mims’s usage/playing time and then Fant getting the start over Moses are two decisions that don’t really make any sense. What do Jeff Smith and Braxton Berrios do better than Mims? Moses has been a top 12-15 right tackle the last like four year why isn’t he starting? I don’t know what they’re seeing in camp but it definitely didn’t translate to yesterday’s game. 

Well you know what, they got their asses kicked in the first half on offense.  No points.  No red zone and only a few plays in carolina territory.  If the coaching staff wants to hand out gold stars to who learns every wr position and that dictates playing time, well, they better produce.  Nobody cares about how many positions mims knows.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Well you know what, they got their asses kicked in the first half on offense.  No points.  No red zone and only a few plays in carolina territory.  If the coaching staff wants to hand out gold stars to who learns every wr position and that dictates playing time, well, they better produce.  Nobody cares about how many positions mims knows.

All Mims needs to know or how I would communicate it to him:  Line up, don't false start or go off sides, run, get open, catch the ball, run some more until you get tackled or pass the big white line.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

All Mims needs to know or how I would communicate it to him:  Line up, don't false start or go off sides, run, get open, catch the ball, run some more until you get tackled or pass the big white line.

I know, and that’s what it seems he does.  Surely the coaching staff has to be in defensive mode when they keep this guy glued to the bench all game when the offense is struggling, he gets 3 snaps and one is a 40 yard completion.  These coaches are still in the honeymoon phase, but if the offense starts out with another goose in the first half vs NE and mims ain’t playing, it’s going to get tougher for these guys to justify.  

They cut bless saying they wanted to give the young guys a chance.  If they bench mims in favor of other wrs and they’re not producing, that’s a problem.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is wrong. 

People keep saying it and it’s just not true. Go watch it again, he dropped his shoulder and tried - what y’all keep talking about was after his foot as out of bounce.  Watch it again, you’ll see him step out and that’s when he let up.  

I watched it again.  Disagree with you.  Would love to see him step up.  There’s obviously something wrong between him and the staff.  Would love to see him developer into something special.  He clearly has tools.  Might have low T.  

46 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I watched it again.  Disagree with you.  Would love to see him step up.  There’s obviously something wrong between him and the staff.  Would love to see him developer into something special.  He clearly has tools.  Might have low T.  

It not sure how you can disagree with me. It’s not opinion based. His foot was out our bounds before that little spinny thing he did. 

but otherwise I agree with your second point. We don’t know what it is, the coaches aren’t telling us but something’s up.

My guess, with the fan uproar over him not playing you‘ll hear a “ leak” as to what’s going on.  

• Upvote 2

there is no doubt mims is having issues somewhere - i’d guess he’s not prepared in meetings and/or on the practice field - my problem is some guys don’t show up until game day - he may be one of them - i hope he shows progress and the coaching staff some flexibility- otherwise he’s a total goner

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh just told us why Mims isn’t playing.  He doesn’t know the routes for all the WR positions.

He had months to learn it.   Possibly, the unfortunate loss of Knapp might have affected Mims.  But all the others seem to grasp the playbook.

We shouldn’t be criticizing the CS for not playing Mims.  They deserve praise for two reasons. (1) A bad precedent to play a guy that doesn’t know his assignments. (2) It might push Mims to play to his potential, and he has plenty of talent.  

They are giving him more time to get it right…

This is good insight. While I agree that’s the reason I still find it kind of dumb to keep him off the field. Luckily we’ve got 16 games to see it get better though 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Saleh just told us why Mims isn’t playing.  He doesn’t know the routes for all the WR positions.

He had months to learn it.   Possibly, the unfortunate loss of Knapp might have affected Mims.  But all the others seem to grasp the playbook.

We shouldn’t be criticizing the CS for not playing Mims.  They deserve praise for two reasons. (1) A bad precedent to play a guy that doesn’t know his assignments. (2) It might push Mims to play to his potential, and he has plenty of talent.  

They are giving him more time to get it right…

This is a classic example of overcoaching.

Do these coaches want to win games?  Find a way to make it work and get your talent on the damn field.  We aren't winning with Braxton Berrios out there, even though I like Berrios.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1