Jump to content

Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Denzel Mims’ relationship with the New York Jets has been a strange one through his first season-plus as a pro, and it took another turn for the worse in the Jets season-opening 19-14 loss to the Caro

I agree completely with this post, however its not necessarily because of the ball Mims caught as it was a broken play. Im much more concerned with the general theme of how can we not figure out

He made a nice catch when he was wide open.  Made zero effort to get into the end zone.  I thought the guy looked like he dogged it on his one big catch. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty ridiculous to suggest Moore isn't good after 1 game. But then again, pretty standard nonsense from this board. 

And maybe Berrios is better than Mims, just like Mitchell is better than Sermon. 

Berrios had a good game.  Moore sucked 

 

Mims is riding pine because he said the wrong thing to an assistant coach during the summer 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t suggesting giving it to him to placate anyone, Im convinced coaching staffs don't even know fans exist, unless of course the billboards and planes start flying. 
 

Moore coming out flat was certainly telling, it suggest rookie wideouts no matter how much potential need a full training camp. That and nerves is a fine assumption at this point. That being said, Mims came out and caught the ball, so give him more chances to come out and catch the ball? It’s not that hard, I thought double secret probation was just a thing from Animal House. He’s a receiver, he caught the ball! Let him catch more balls, at least until someone else is ready to catch more balls. We need ball catching!! 
 

I agree most NFL coaches will play the player they deemed most ready. Ego, scheme fit, perceived lack of preparation or just simply not believing in a guy also happens. They thought Moore was more prepared than Mims likely. They were obviously wrong as far as last game. If Moore isn’t ready against the Pats? I just hope they go to Mims sooner. I’m not saying bench Moore and give Mims every snap, I’m just saying Mims should be an earlier consideration if needed. 

 

They may think Mims is  not the best player at the position right now and he will never be a player at any position for them if they don’t give him a chance. Don’t have to start him, just put him in the game sooner if nobody else  is catching the ball. I’m not criticizing them for not starting  him, I’m criticizing them for waiting so long to get him in there. 
 

I don’t give a crap if Mims sucks in practice. Not my concern, I’m concerned when the receivers they deem  deserving to play Sunday suck ass, drop passes and fail the young QB trying to stay on the field. Mims came in, caught a pass, he should come in again to catch passes if needed. If everyone else plays lights out? Sure sit him, don’t care, if they drop balls? Play Mims!

100% agreed Homeboy. Let Moore earn it and show Mims if he catches balls he can play more than Moore until Moor does more! 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Moore coming out flat was certainly telling, it suggest rookie wideouts no matter how much potential need a full training camp. That and nerves is a fine assumption at this point. That being said, Mims came out and caught the ball, so give him more chances to come out and catch the ball? It’s not that hard, I thought double secret probation was just a thing from Animal House. He’s a receiver, he caught the ball! Let him catch more balls, at least until someone else is ready to catch more balls. We need ball catching!! 

Perfectly stated.  Unless you have better alternatives who can make plays, who gives a sh*t if Mims is struggling to learn the Z, F and X route trees

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Gotta love the presumption that Mims is "one of our best players" and is a "gamebreaker" without any actual evidence as-yet to prove that out.

Fans gonna Fan, he caught one pass, he must be an All-Pro and only the stupid Coaches (probably that horrible Owner!) is holding him back.

Somehow it never occurs to you that he is where he has earned so far under Saleh/LaFleur.  That he hasn't earned more playing time, and was beaten out by other players in camp and practice and preseason.

But sure, I get it, you know more than the Coaching staff.  It's a shock we didn't just hire you, eh?

 

I get that he might not know the playbook well, I’ve seen him slow plays down at camp and it was bad.

But every time he did get an opportunity he made a play. Every chance in preseason he made the most of it. 
 

Im just more mad that Jeff fn Smith is getting more reps. He’s awful and has never done anything. Berrios? Fine. But Jeff Smith? Nah. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

....who gives a sh*t if Mims is struggling to learn the Z, F and X route trees

Clearly, the actual NFL Coaches in charge of the team give a sh*t.

Do you think you know better?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, More Cowbell said:

What os absurd is the notion that Mims is not part of this problem. I'm not sure what it is keeping him off the field but my guess is Mims is just a big dumb athlete that is not buying into what the Jets are asking the WR's to do. 

LET'S GIVE HIM MORE PLAYING TIME!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Clearly, the actual NFL Coaches in charge of the team give a sh*t.

Do you think you know better?  

I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the coaches aren't can't put a player in the game if he doesn't know all of his responsibilities. If Mims really doesn't know whatever he is supposed to know, that is a huge problem that only Mims can fix. 

On the other hand, how many times have we all seen a talented young player get in a coaching staff's doghouse, get traded or cut, and end up shining somewhere else? And not only in the NFL. This happens in all sports. I think the coaches need to take some responsibility here and get this guy motivated and engaged in his role with the team. He's too talented to be on the bench the entire game. 

Mims definitely has legit physical talent and he can catch. I'd love to see him on the field with Davis and Moore or Davis and Crowder at the same time and I'd love to see him get a couple of deep shots every game. I feel like he has the physical talent to be a difference-maker. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the coaches aren't can't put a player in the game if he doesn't know all of his responsibilities. If Mims really doesn't know whatever he is supposed to know, that is a huge problem that only Mims can fix. 

On the other hand, how many times have we all seen a talented young player get in a coaching staff's doghouse, get traded or cut, and end up shining somewhere else? And not only in the NFL. This happens in all sports. I think the coaches need to take some responsibility here and get this guy motivated and engaged in his role with the team. He's too talented to be on the bench the entire game. 

Mims definitely has legit physical talent and he can catch. I'd love to see him on the field with Davis and Moore or Davis and Crowder at the same time and I'd love to see him get a couple of deep shots every game. I feel like he has the physical talent to be a difference-maker. 

Sometimes you get these new, young coaching staffs who are so intent on implementing their culture and their systems, that they’re too inflexible to adapt to a guy like mims who may not be an ideal fit in their offense, but can nevertheless produce.  I think it will be telling how they proceed with mims, as well as with the offensive philosophy of pounding the run even though they’re not getting yards and putting wilson in 2nd and long situations.  It’s kind of like the Mangini syndrome, every belichick disciple wants to be like him but there isn’t anyone else like him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Sometimes you get these new, young coaching staffs who are so intent on implementing their culture and their systems, that they’re too inflexible to adapt to a guy like mims who may not be an ideal fit in their offense, but can nevertheless produce.  I think it will be telling how they proceed with mims, as well as with the offensive philosophy of pounding the run even though they’re not getting yards and putting wilson in 2nd and long situations.  It’s kind of like the Mangini syndrome, every belichick disciple wants to be like him but there isn’t anyone else like him.  

Yep, this is my fear with Mims. The best coaches know when to bend to accommodate a talented player. The "system" should always come second to getting the most out of the talent you have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Paradis said:

yea? and who gets to own that? the kid who stayed up past his bed time, or the parents that run the house. You can't crucify a guy forever some fkcing vague ambiguous sh*t..... CS have learn how to lead better. 

seems to be less about the pissing people off and more about not knowing enough of the positions and plays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone watch Saleh yesterday?! He was honest as I have seen a coach been since LaFlauer saying Becton was "going through things" at camp when he was getting beat like a drum each day. 

Saleh basically said the kid isn't bright. He must be not picking up the playbook. I don't know how else to interpret the XO comment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, this is my fear with Mims. The best coaches know when to bend to accommodate a talented player. The "system" should always come second to getting the most out of the talent you have. 

I think things are going to come to a head sooner than later with mims because of how wilson looks and plays.  Regardless of what saleh, lefleur and the offensive coaching staff wants, this is not destined to be a run heavy run first offense this season.  Wilson can sling it with accuracy downfield and that’s what’s going to open up the run game.  They need an attacking style offense that allows wilson to roll out and create more time and use the rbs more in the passing game rather than running tevin Coleman up the middle.  Mims is actually great for this since his height and length produces a big target who can get open when wilson is running around.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Perfectly stated.  Unless you have better alternatives who can make plays, who gives a sh*t if Mims is struggling to learn the Z, F and X route trees

Zach probably cares, especially when he looks to throw Mimzy the ball and he's not where he is supposed to be.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

your fear is founded in sound logic unfortunately.  Saleh confirmed as much yesterday in his presser. 

I read those comments and it reinforces what I was seeing in camp regarding Mims.   Seeing him line up in the wrong positions during walk through was damning.   Doing it multiple times in the same session and LaFleur yelling at him for that was even more damning.  
 

At this point he can either commit to the process or he’ll find himself on the street next season.  I would hope the staff at least gives him a chance to dig himself out of this hole and just doesn’t bury him on the bench, especially when Cole and Crowder return.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

seems to be less about the pissing people off and more about not knowing enough of the positions and plays. 

Easiest "swat away the media" reply possible. "We like our WRs to know all 3 positions..." 

The FCK does that mean? So every WR you draft from the rest of time is going to need to learn how to play everything? You gonna draft Calvin johnson and keep him off the field until he learns to play the slot? 

Horsesh*t

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Easiest "swat away the media" reply possible. "We like our WRs to know all 3 positions..." 

The FCK does that mean? So every WR you draft from the rest of time is going to need to learn how to play everything? You gonna draft Calvin johnson and keep him off the field until he learns to play the slot? 

Horsesh*t

Would you prefer he came out and said "Mims is the dumbest sack of rocks with the worst work ethic I, personally, have ever seen.  There is no way I can start him and keep the locker room given how stupid and lazy he is".

Would you be happier then?

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Would you prefer he came out and said "Mims is the dumbest sack of rocks with the worst work ethic I, personally, have ever seen.  There is no way I can start him and keep the locker room given how stupid and lazy he is".

Would you be happier then?

I would prefer if LaFleur and his staff show some signs of knowing how to the do their job - over pointing the figure at players and saying he's still  putting it together.... Uh, you're being paid to figure that issue out LaFleur.

The majority of our players on offense are struggling. Everywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Would you prefer he came out and said "Mims is the dumbest sack of rocks with the worst work ethic I, personally, have ever seen.  There is no way I can start him and keep the locker room given how stupid and lazy he is".

Would you be happier then?

None of this matters if wilson is always running for his life and slinging it downfield because guys like mims are big targets and as long as he can catch, he should play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this right here. .. Like he set the football world on fire last year . New coaching staff says not so fast!!!

Gotta love the presumption that Mims is "one of our best players" and is a "gamebreaker" without any actual evidence as-yet to prove that out.
Fans gonna Fan, he caught one pass, he must be an All-Pro and only the stupid Coaches (probably that horrible Owner!) is holding him back.
Somehow it never occurs to you that he is where he has earned so far under Saleh/LaFleur.  That he hasn't earned more playing time, and was beaten out by other players in camp and practice and preseason.
But sure, I get it, you know more than the Coaching staff.  It's a shock we didn't just hire you, eh?
 


Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

All this right here. .. Like he set the football world on fire last year . New coaching staff says not so fast!!!

 


Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app
 

 

Well--

  • our LT has regressed immensely under LaFleur
  • I've pretty much forgotten AVT exists
  • Mims has become a circus of vagueness
  • Wilson is surviving on instinct
  • Running Game is anemic
  • Playcalling was sh*t for adjustment
  • We largely moved the ball via Wilson making something out of nothing 

So yea, there's merit in questioning some of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this and guess what ,,,, we've played 1 game ,,,, let's spell it out ,,ONE .

Well--
  • our LT has regressed immensely under LaFleur
  • I've pretty much forgotten AVT exists
  • Mims has become a circus of vagueness
  • Wilson is surviving on instinct
  • Running Game is anemic
  • Playcalling was sh*t for adjustment
  • We largely moved the ball via Wilson making something out of nothing 
So yea, there's merit in questioning some of this.


Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

All this and guess what ,,,, we've played 1 game ,,,, let's spell it out ,,ONE .

 


Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app
 

 

nope, this is the report card from the last 3-4 months. That was first semester exam, and we came away with C-

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's going on with Mims doesn't make a ton of sense. He played like 3 snaps and put up 1 catch for 40+ yards. The only thing that would make any sense at all is if he's not a fit in the locker room or culture wise

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Clearly, the actual NFL Coaches in charge of the team give a sh*t.

Do you think you know better?  

Calling out posters on this site for knowing more than the coaches?  That's rich.  Get back to me in Week 8...

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I would prefer if LaFleur and his staff show some signs of knowing how to the do their job - over pointing the figure at players and saying he's still  putting it together.... Uh, you're being paid to figure that issue out LaFleur.

The majority of our players on offense are struggling. Everywhere. 

What an empty "fan answer" that is, lol.  

Mims has shown himself either dumb or lazy or both.  Those are the reasons, in plain language, why a guy with physical talent superior to others is behind those others on the depth chart.  One catch doesn't make him a starter.  He's exactly where he's earned being, in the eyes of our new Coaches. 

And one week in, either you as a fan trust the Coaches to make this team theirs and make personnel calls, their way, or you don't.  And if you don't even trust them to make starter decisions, well, you simply don't trust them at all and must want them gone.  Hard to see a middle ground here, logically.

So far, Mims is mostly fan hype, little actual performance.  If I'm gonna defer, it's to Saleh right now (till he proves he is unworthy of it), not hype-filled fans.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Zach probably cares, especially when he looks to throw Mimzy the ball and he's not where he is supposed to be.

Well, he threw him one pass on Sunday and that seemed to work, so, what's your point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Easiest "swat away the media" reply possible. "We like our WRs to know all 3 positions..." 

The FCK does that mean? So every WR you draft from the rest of time is going to need to learn how to play everything? You gonna draft Calvin johnson and keep him off the field until he learns to play the slot? 

Horsesh*t

Ehhh i think im gonna diverge from you on this one.  I also ask my guys to know every position because rotationally its very hard to make subs when only certian guys know certain things.  Can he still get on the field?  yea sure, but its much easier to get on the field the more you know because you can sub in for anyone not just one specific spot. 

 

Say he was only subbing in for Davis.  With the length of the offensive drives we were having how many times do you think davis needed a blow? If mims could only go to that spot it limits his ability to play more snaps, unless you shift davis over to another spot for a substitution to get mims in, not a crazy notion, just gets complicated sometimes.

I get what youre saying, and theres value in it for sure, but also as a coach, one that specifically coaches WR's I can tell you that salehs comments have merrit. 

And this is coming from someone who wants mims to succeed.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

Ehhh i think im gonna diverge from you on this one.  I also ask my guys to know every position because rotationally its very hard to make subs when only certian guys know certain things.  Can he still get on the field?  yea sure, but its much easier to get on the field the more you know because you can sub in for anyone not just one specific spot. 

 

Say he was only subbing in for Davis.  With the length of the offensive drives we were having how many times do you think davis needed a blow? If mims could only go to that spot it limits his ability to play more snaps, unless you shift davis over to another spot for a substitution to get mims in, not a crazy notion, just gets complicated sometimes.

I get what youre saying, and theres value in it for sure, but also as a coach, one that specifically coaches WR's I can tell you that salehs comments have merrit. 

And this is coming from someone who wants mims to succeed.

Every play guys are subbing in and out, it’s hard to believe they can’t figure out how to keep mims in a position where he can function.  I imagine that the good offensive teams would get him on the field and use what he can do best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...