Jets Handling of Denzel Mims Reaches Point of Absurdity

JetNation

Saleh basically said he doesn't know the assignments for all three WR positions. They clearly don't think he's committed/works hard enough.

More and more it feels like instead of "Joe Douglas made a masterful trade down and still landed the best receiver on the board" it's "Joe Douglas got too cute thinking it could still get Van Jefferson while trading down and got stuck with the lazy WR everyone else passed on."

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

Maybe I overreacted. But all the negative hate speech after the CAR game really chaps my ass. I could understand if it was quarter/mid way of the season and they are looking like Crazy Eyes Jets but its only 1st game. I have faith in the CS that they will readjust and figure out how to strengthen the OL. Maybe Becton going down is blessing in disguise and the whole unit plays better Sunday.

I get it, but that's what this place is.  

Take it for what it is.  Come after a victory and JD should be put in the HOF.

and more often than not - it's a handful of vocal fans that drive the over reactions.  While certainly there's a lot of ups and downs, most people are relatively sane.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, you're 58 posts and you feel like it's your right to come on here and yell at the rest of us for having the courage to express our opinions?

Well, guess what???  I only have one post and seriously thought about yelling at some of you.  So what?

I enjoy discovering good information about my beloved team, and quite frankly learn a lot from opinions of many knowledgeable posters here.  Obviously we all want Jets to play well; but we also knew this year will be a difficult year with many growing pains.  Let's give the team some time to gel.  If they still play like last week in Nov/Dec timeframe, yeah I'll gladly join you yelling at the players, JD and coaching staffs.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sweetjoe said:

Well, guess what???  I only have one post and seriously thought about yelling at some of you.  So what?

I enjoy discovering good information about my beloved team, and quite frankly learn a lot from opinions of many knowledgeable posters here.  Obviously we all want Jets to play well; but we also knew this year will be a difficult year with many growing pains.  Let's give the team some time to gel.  If they still play like last week in Nov/Dec timeframe, yeah I'll gladly join you yelling at the players, JD and coaching staffs.

I'm sorry.  I can't hear you.  I only listen to posters with 10,000 or more posts.

**** these guys.  I have been here for 15 years and I think my first post was complaining about people. They were probably the same people I was complaining about at the other place.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Saleh basically said he doesn't know the assignments for all three WR positions. They clearly don't think he's committed/works hard enough.

More and more it feels like instead of "Joe Douglas made a masterful trade down and still landed the best receiver on the board" it's "Joe Douglas got too cute thinking it could still get Van Jefferson while trading down and got stuck with the lazy WR everyone else passed on."

This is the fear I have. I'm hoping he picks it up and gets more reps. 

The problem is, our WR room is deep. There is no guarantee he gets meaningful playing time this year behind Davis, Cole, Crowder, Moore, and even Berrios. I imagine some of those guys will get hurt - our WRs always do, but him being so low on the depth chart in his second season is concerning because we all see the physical talent. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sweetjoe said:

"Let's give the team time to gel."  First uttered by Jet fans, Fall 1969.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

"Let's give the team time to gel."  First uttered by Jet fans, Fall 1969.

I've been a Jets fan since '77 so I know enough about disappointments and pains.  Maybe I'm set for another blow but I'm cautiously optimistic where the team is headed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

why do you think this wasn't what he wanted to get?

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is the fear I have. I'm hoping he picks it up and gets more reps. 

The problem is, our WR room is deep. There is no guarantee he gets meaningful playing time this year behind Davis, Cole, Crowder, Moore, and even Berrios. I imagine some of those guys will get hurt - our WRs always do, but him being so low on the depth chart in his second season is concerning because we all see the physical talent. 

I wonder how much the jets coaching staff thinks that not having crowder and Cole hurt the offense vs carolina.  Saleh is setting it up to have mims inactive this Sunday, and they know the OL must be better or else they’re going to get railed.  After not scoring for nearly 3 quarters though, the offense needs to start scoring early.  

2 minutes ago, Sweetjoe said:

I've been a Jets fan since '77 so I know enough about disappointments and pains.  Maybe I'm set for another blow but I'm cautiously optimistic where the team is headed.

'65 for me.  Just busting balls.  

Great username.  Welcome to the board.  No matter how many posts, feel free to bust balls at will.  Especially with Crusher.

34 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

why do you think this wasn't what he wanted to get?

Obviously I don't know for sure. 

But if he really wanted Mims I think he takes him without trading down. He inherently passed on him. There were rumors the Jets liked Van Jefferson (his dad was on Gase's staff.)

So, I'm not pretending to have true inside info here, just observing that what was arguably a stroke of brilliance (or good fortune) is looking more and more like possibly a mistake.

• Upvote 3

On 9/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, FidelioJet said:

Yes. 
They would find a way to get their best players in the field.

The Dolphins don’t seem to be interested in getting Will Fuller on the field.

Even guys as special as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss wore out their welcome.   

If Mims is not acting like a professional, he belongs on the bench.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

They were never benched, never made third string.

They eventually got traded - quite a bit different than leaving your talent on the sideline.

The absurdity of backing a player who doesn't know the route tree,or even where he's supposed to line up at ,but because he has a little talent he should be starting or getting much more run than he is ,,is crazy. 1 40 yard catch makes it all justified ,,lol Maybe he's entitled to start because if that extraordinary 23 catches in 10 games season he had .

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They were never benched, never made third string.

They eventually got traded - quite a bit different than leaving your talent on the sideline.

You’re just not thinking big picture.  Put Mims on the field, give him a nine route, fling it up and see what happens.  That is exactly what the opponent will expect if he plays limited snaps.

The Broncos moved on from Phillip Lindsay b/c he was a below average pass blocker and nearly as useless as a receiver and it became predictable that if he was in… running play.

Mims runs a wrong route?  Then what?  Turnovers, turnovers that might look bad on ZW in a New York market.

What else?  How about ZW hesitating because Mims takes a couple of steps the wrong way?   Wilson gets drilled an extra time or two during a game.

It sets a horrible precedent if everyone else on the roster that plays regularly knows what they’re doing… and Mims doesn’t.

I have no idea what else I can say to convince you from an organizational standpoint with a new Head Coach… 

you are 100% wrong on this one.

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You’re just not thinking big picture.  Put Mims on the field, give him a nine route, fling it up and see what happens.  That is exactly what the opponent will expect if he plays limited snaps.

The Broncos moved on from Phillip Lindsay b/c he was a below average pass blocker and nearly as useless as a receiver and it became predictable that if he was in… running play.

Mims runs a wrong route?  Then what?  Turnovers, turnovers that might look bad on ZW in a New York market.

What else?  How about ZW hesitating because Mims takes a couple of steps the wrong way?   Wilson gets drilled an extra time or two during a game.

It sets a horrible precedent if everyone else on the roster that plays regularly knows what they’re doing… and Mims doesn’t.

I have no idea what else I can say to convince you from an organizational standpoint with a new Head Coach… 

the points you're making isn't lost on me.  I get it.

I get it's a complicated offense where receivers have to adjust the routes based on coverages and timing is everyrthing.  So, I do get it.

Find routes for him, make it simple, make ZW's read simple - the guy needs to be on the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:48 PM, RoadFan said:

Even if he's very limited in the routes he can run at the moment, he can at least get more than 2 snaps, no?  I get that it sets a terrible precedent to put him on the field a bunch when he doesn't understand the playbook or what all the WR spots need to do, but we're not talking about starting him or anything.  Just that he can at minimum be an important deep threat or decoy for Wilson on occasion.  He can serve a purpose. 

Sprinkle him in and I doubt anyone would be upset.  There's plenty of snaps to go around to the other WR's that are ahead of him on the depth chart.  And certainly they can still drive it into him in practice each week that he needs to do better and learn his position before he gets more snaps.

• Sympathy 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, RoadFan said:

Kind of a wierd comparison.  Fuller is coming off suspension for PEDs and the dolphins have depth at WR.  We have Elijah Moore and his -3 yards receiving for his career

He'll go to the Chiefs next year and be their number 2 reciever, putting up big numbers and making the pro bowl. Then Jets fans will be bitching about how come we don't have talent like that but at the same time praising Douglas for being such a brilliant GM who's leading this team in the right direction.

• Sympathy 1