What did we expect ?

Big Snell

I know that there were a lot of things to not like about yesterdays' game from an impatient fan standpoint, but what did we expect when you look at the big picture:

1) New head coach

2) New Coaching staff

3) New System both sides of the ball

4) Rookie QB

5) O-line that's never played together in a new system

6) 1 Lawson out ,1Lawson in

7) New kicker

8)Punter gets hurt

9) Youngest roster in the league, full of rookies getting reps

10) Playing against guys that have something to prove to their old team and an MVP back that can kill you every which way

I may have missed one or two, but that's not my point.

What we got:

In spite of all this, we were right there in the 4th quarter with a chance to win.

I don't like losing just like everyone else on this board, but when it comes down to hard facts, this wasn't an embarrassment. This wasn't even a horrible game. This was a close game with some bright spots and some opportunities to improve, but about what I expected to see of this very young team whether they lost or even if they pulled out a victory. We are definitely a better team moving forward.

What were  your expectations for game 1, and what would you "seriously" like to see for game 2 as a reasonable and acceptable improvement ?

I'll start : I'd like to see Zack comfortable with what Belechik is going to show him defensively, and an improved running game

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Good stuff Snell, What I expected was pretty close to what we got except, I thought the O-Line would at least be functional-it wasn't until (curiously) Becton went out . I felt that we are watching a team like the one that Mark Sanchez led when he had a group of WRs around him, a team that will be 'in' most games and with a chance to win each one. I think that this team has the ability, with this HC to make the playoffs and I feel we are watching a team that is going to run off on a winning streak by the time the cold weather arrives.

• Upvote 1

My expectation was finishing last in the AFCe, despite the fact that I really like what they’re trying to do and how they’re going about it. Youngest team in the league, starting fifth and sixth round rookies. This season is going to be one long learning/evaluation process. That’s what it was always going to be, for the players and coaches alike. We’ll get some good moments and a couple wins along the way, but it’s mostly gonna be pretty ugly. I understand the impatience, but that doesn’t change this team’s current circumstance: this is a young team with a young coaching staff who are all learning on the job together. As long as Saleh can keep them all together, I expect it to eventually pay dividends. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

) O-line that's never played together in a new system

This isnt an excuse, it's a problem. I killed Gase for doing this and now Saleh is doing it too. I get that the o-line needs time playing together to gel, I dont understand why that eludes jets HCs. They exposed Zach to more problems by putting him behind an uncoordinated line without experience with each other, for his first exposure to a real nfl defense. To exacerbate that fact, they still trot out the guys who sucked last year at C and RG and *huge shock* they continued to suck week 1. 

• Upvote 2

I wasn't ready for Elijah Moore to be the guy that killed us.  I thought he  would be one of the guys to lift us.  It's early but the guy stunk and was in position to take a lot of pressure off Zach with 2 early catches that went right through his hands.  Hope he was just nervous and gets it together.  He's one of the linchpins to this years draft.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I expected WR's to catch the ball - I honestly can't recall a game with so many drops.

and

I expected the OL to play better than it did.  Not great but better than it did.

Otherwise, I agree - under the circumstances we really shouldn't have expected much.

Exactly what you been saying all week. We have to be patient, but honestly almost impossible on game day. I feel better about it this morning after 3rd breakfast. I’m also little shocked at how out of tune Moore was, I’m sure it’s just nerves and lack of reps. Sometimes these highly driven guys can be their own worst enemies until they get going. Someone on the staff will need to coach him up on that. 

• Upvote 2

the o-line and d-line were the biggest disappointments to me.  all I kept hearing all week was how awful the panthers o-line was and how Q and co. were going to feast......1 sack???  

and Zach running for his life certainly reminded me of Sam from the last three years.  the difference:  Zach didn't buckle and turn the ball over in crunch time.  In fact that's when he got BETTER and led two TD scoring drives.  lots of hope, but man that o-line better get fixed and fast.

• Upvote 1

What did I expect?  

This is the Season of Joe Douglas.  This is the season where, after 2 drafts and 2.5 free agent periods, we're supposed to start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We don't sniff the playoffs, we aren't considered a good team, but we are showing solid improvements in personnel and aren't embarrassing ourselves in games.

That starts with the offensive line, the supposed area of Joe Douglas' expertise.  And yesterday was an utter humiliation and something that should have been addressed and corrected after hearing all July and August how Becton was getting whipped like a turnstile and how Wilson was getting sacked 5-7 times per day at camp.

All that cap room, all that draft capital, for what?  To be told we have to wait another 2 years to fix something that he's been working on for 2.5?

Reminder:  This is the OL we put on the field when we went on a 6-2 run in 2019:

Alex Lewis
Jonothan Harrison
Kelvin Beachum
Brandon Shell
Tom Compton

We'd be better off if he left it alone.  Joe Douglas is no good.  This isn't a rebuild by a competent GM.  This is a teardown by a rank amateur who wasn't qualified for the job to begin with.  The Jets are an expansion team without the benefit of an expansion draft.  And it wasn't necessary.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What did I expect?  

This is the Season of Joe Douglas.  This is the season where, after 2 drafts and 2.5 free agent periods, we're supposed to start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We don't sniff the playoffs, we aren't considered a good team, but we are showing solid improvements in personnel and aren't embarrassing ourselves in games.

That starts with the offensive line, the supposed area of Joe Douglas' expertise.  And yesterday was an utter humiliation and something that should have been addressed and corrected after hearing all July and August how Becton was getting whipped like a turnstile and how Wilson was getting sacked 5-7 times per day at camp.

All that cap room, all that draft capital, for what?  To be told we have to wait another 2 years to fix something that he's been working on for 2.5?

Reminder:  This is the OL we put on the field when we went on a 6-2 run in 2019:

Alex Lewis
Jonothan Harrison
Kelvin Beachum
Brandon Shell
Tom Compton

We'd be better off if he left it alone.  Joe Douglas is no good.  This isn't a rebuild by a competent GM.  This is a teardown by a rank amateur who wasn't qualified for the job to begin with.  The Jets are an expansion team without the benefit of an expansion draft.  And it wasn't necessary.

SAR I

We at least you are meeting expectations. Exactly what I expected to read when I saw you just posted here. Almost like I’ve read  it someplace else already. Spooky. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What did I expect?  

Alex Lewis
Jonothan Harrison
Kelvin Beachum
Brandon Shell
Tom Compton

SAR I

Give it a ****in rest man

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I wasn't ready for Elijah Moore to be the guy that killed us.  I thought he  would be one of the guys to lift us.  It's early but the guy stunk and was in position to take a lot of pressure off Zach with 2 early catches that went right through his hands.  Hope he was just nervous and gets it together.  He's one of the linchpins to this years draft.

I think the WRs dropped 5 passes yesterday, Zach's numbers would have looked a lot better and maybe they could have even had a shot at winning that game had they made 4 of those 5 dropped passes

1 hour ago, freestater said:

This isnt an excuse, it's a problem. I killed Gase for doing this and now Saleh is doing it too. I get that the o-line needs time playing together to gel, I dont understand why that eludes jets HCs. They exposed Zach to more problems by putting him behind an uncoordinated line without experience with each other, for his first exposure to a real nfl defense. To exacerbate that fact, they still trot out the guys who sucked last year at C and RG and *huge shock* they continued to suck week 1. 

Hey no argument from me that yesterday they often looked like they'd just met in the parking lot before the game, but this just isn't true.

The only new player they started on the OL was AVT. The other starting 4/5 was carried over from the last half of last season (since Lewis last left the field):

• LT Becton
  • C McGovern
  • RG van Roten
  • RT Fant

That might even be the reason Fant got the starting nod over Moses (in addition to his being thought of as the better pass blocker with Moses the better run blocker; understandable for a rookie QB's 1st game, even if it didn't work out). 

1-2 new starting OLmen each season is quite common, even among playoff teams. I think it's less common for all 5 to return each year; it happens now & then, but it's not the norm. 

What they did last year, with 4 new starters, was inviting what we saw in the first month or two last year (especially following an abbreviated summer due to covid).

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hey no argument from me that yesterday they often looked like they'd just met in the parking lot before the game, but this just isn't true.

The only new player they started on the OL was AVT. The other starting 4/5 was carried over from the last half of last season (since Lewis last left the field):

• LT Becton
  • C McGovern
  • RG van Roten
  • RT Fant

That might even be the reason Fant got the starting nod over Moses (in addition to his being thought of as the better pass blocker with Moses the better run blocker; understandable for a rookie QB's 1st game, even if it didn't work out). 

1-2 new starting OLmen each season is quite common, even among playoff teams. I think it's less common for all 5 to return each year; it happens now & then, but it's not the norm. 

What they did last year, with 4 new starters, was inviting what we saw in the first month or two last year (especially following an abbreviated summer due to covid).

and even though Fant isn't thought too highly of around here, what I saw from him was a good move to the outside which finally gave Wilson time to set his two feet and make a great throw. He at least seems to know how to use his brains to make an adjustment , something that Becton isn't capable of doing or so it seems. Why keep doing the same things that are getting your QB killed play after play? Also, a big chunk of blame falls right on the new OC's shoulders, any one of us would know what kind of plays that can be called to offset a strong pass rush, being a first time OC is no excuse for bad football sense