Becton Game 1 Performance

HessStation

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Big ticket playing like free admission right now. 

Right now, my impressions of Becton are him coming off the field several times last year for "a cold"/getting winded, looking out of shape, getting blown up consistently by Carl Lawson during this Summer's camp, going full turnstile yesterday and almost getting Zack killed, and what will almost assuredly be a season ending injury.

• Upvote 2

Just now, munchmemory said:

Right now, my impressions of Becton are him coming off the field several times last year for "a cold"/getting winded, looking out of shape, getting blown up consistently by Carl Lawson during this Summer's camp, going full turnstile yesterday and almost getting Zack killed, and what will almost assuredly be a season ending injury.

Have you had breakfast yet brother? I just finished my third, it helped. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Have you had breakfast yet brother? I just finished my third, it helped. 

So far, only coffee.  All I will say is that I have not had a good feeling about the guy since the pick.   WTF do I know anyway?  Just commenting from what has been a unimpressive start to the Becton Era.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

AVT played like a rookie  who missed 2/3rds of training camp. Honestly I think these guys will Improve as they learn the system and gel. We should have as much if not more concern for the D line. That was the supposed strength of this team and are marquee guy Q was a no show for the most part. A lot to work on. For sure. 

New system, hard to learn, the starting 5 took 0 snaps together in preseason.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So I rewatched Youtube “every Wilson pass” and think there’s an overreaction on Becton’s game. I saw him get beat twice on an inside spin move for a pressure (which was still a completion) and the sack in the 2nd quarter….which if there was a pocket for Wilson to step into, wouldn’t have happened. 

-The inside pressure (throw away) in the 1st quarter was ? on Vera-Tucker. (I was hearing people blame Becton at the time)
-In the 2nd quarter he missed on one inside spin move/ pressure which btw was a completion to the flat on the other side. 
-Last pass play of the 2nd, on the sack, Wilson did hold the ball for a long time and kept moving back instead of stepping into the pocket... Mostly Bc the interior OL was getting pushed 
-2nd half (and pretty much the entire 1st half minus two plays) he was looking great including on the play he was injured. 
-Side note: it was Van Roten (who stinks) + defender who rolled into him on the injury….it wasn’t AVT or McGovern getting abused (like some, including myself, initially thought) ??

This is consistent with what I saw and was arguing yesterday. Was he phenomenal? No, but I think some will clean up with better communication. For those saying he was horrible, again, please convince me. Clearly the running game needs some work, maybe in that aspect?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Becton's biggest problem isn't that he's getting beat on occasion (although it's not good)

It's that he can't stay healthy.  

Give me a break. A player rolled up the back of his leg. Anybody would have been hurt if that happened to them.

People around here love ragging on Becton. It's a new passtime.

PFF grades from the Carolina game:

caolinagrades.PNG.90a3bf9a05260852920e466f1760ce3a.PNG

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I watched every pass as well and I came to a different conclusion.  The  pressure came from the right side of the line on most pass attempts (from 53 and 43 - Reddick and Burns) . In addition, there was some inside pressure as well, which did not enable Wilson to step up. Becton was not that bad.  AVT got pushed around quite a bit. He looked like a player who had missed camp.  But Becton playing ok does not fit the agenda of the SOJ "chicken little" chronic complainers - that JD is a bad GM and/or Wilson is inferior to Darnold and/or Saleh/Lafleur can't coach.  These people would have us change GMs and Coaches every season unless and until the team has a long playoff run, which ensures that the Jets never will.  And it satisfies their never ending need to  be able to say "I was right," which to them is perversely more enjoyable than the Jets having any success.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

So I rewatched Youtube “every Wilson pass” and think there’s an overreaction on Becton’s game. I saw him get beat twice on an inside spin move for a pressure (which was still a completion) and the sack in the 2nd quarter….which if there was a pocket for Wilson to step into, wouldn’t have happened. 

-The inside pressure (throw away) in the 1st quarter was ? on Vera-Tucker. (I was hearing people blame Becton at the time)
-In the 2nd quarter he missed on one inside spin move/ pressure which btw was a completion to the flat on the other side. 
-Last pass play of the 2nd, on the sack, Wilson did hold the ball for a long time and kept moving back instead of stepping into the pocket... Mostly Bc the interior OL was getting pushed 
-2nd half (and pretty much the entire 1st half minus two plays) he was looking great including on the play he was injured. 
-Side note: it was Van Roten (who stinks) + defender who rolled into him on the injury….it wasn’t AVT or McGovern getting abused (like some, including myself, initially thought) ??

Okay Hess ,,,but here's the thing he has issues with speed rushers and he cant stay healthy hes just too damn big and the pressure on his knees and ankles and feet has to be off the charts. So you are talking Pass Protection but his run blocking was non existent something you would think would be his strength. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

AVT played like a rookie  who missed 2/3rds of training camp. Honestly I think these guys will Improve as they learn the system and gel. We should have as much if not more concern for the D line. That was the supposed strength of this team and are marquee guy Q was a no show for the most part. A lot to work on. For sure. 

Yep the AVT issues looked more like him missing assignments than getting beat or not being able to play

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Becton's biggest problem isn't that he's getting beat on occasion (although it's not good)

It's that he can't stay healthy.  

Thank you. We all think Becton is talented. 

But for a high first round pick you expect more, and he seems more like a project, then an immediate impact. 

Finally, as Fedlio points out the guy cant stay healthy. That turns great football players in to mediocre guys team roll the dice on in a jam, not a consistent starter like we need. 

5 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

So, how long is Becton going to be out for? They might as well draft another left tackle since Becton only plays partial seasons anyway. 

Been 1 season and 1 game man. He played almost every game last year.

Step off the ledge.

Lots of other guys are flying under the hurt all the time radar. Lawson and mosley come to mind. Why do they get passes?

• Upvote 1