Game Observations (CAR)

KRL

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

don't underestimate how much respect Wilson gained
in the locker room from the beating he took.  Now let's make sure it never happens again.

Very important component to move forward as a team. Zach knows he's capable and just proved it. Once/if he gets some semblance of protection, we will put some points on the board.

• Upvote 2

The oline play was the biggest issue in the game. Shaky to terrible pass protection and the run game was non-existent. The only sliver of hope is that AVT is a rookie and the line needs more time to gel.

Zach showed a lot of potential and toughness, very encouraging.

Elijah Moore, 1 catch for -3 yards?!? Really?!! He has to get at least a few touches a game somehow. WR screen, short crosser, slants, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Hard to believe that this roster is a couple injuries from disaster. Guy’s signed Wednesday playing lol  

watching the better teams with loaded rosters yesterday was depressing. 

Sherwood should be waived and put on the PS  

Starting to see JD put more of an emphasis on his guys playing than putting the best players out there 

• Upvote 1

Agreed on the QB take. Darnold in the same situation and tis a 30-3 game, not 19-14. 

However, Zach will never reach his potential without drastically improving this roster. The play "the young kids" approach sounds sexy, but I hope at some point the staff will be mature enough to realize if its not working. Yes, we may have to pay a vet or two. By the way who was the biggest player for us yesterday besides Zach? Young kids or picks? No, a FA vet signing in Corey Davis. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree that LaFluer did a bad job of getting guys involved in the first half.  Getting easy throws to the TEs was OK, but our TEs are so unathletic that they can’t do much with them.  I thought he went there too much.  

During the handful of practices I went to I must have watched them run that slot WR screen play 20 different times, I don’t think I saw it once yesterday.   What a simple way to get Moore an easy touch.  Even if Moore had a drop, you need to keep going back to him, he’s too valuable to ignore in this offense.  Davis wasn’t involved early either, LaFluer looked like a first time OC calling plays.   

I'm fairly certain I saw a slot screen to Moore which he dropped early in the game. I think they also tried one to MC3 which was dropped. I thought LaFluer could be better, but overall I'm not putting the first half on him. He called relatively good plays where the WRs and OL didn't hold up their end.

I've been saying all offseason that I'm super excited with every aspect of the team (specifically OL, Mims, Moore, and MC3) except QB as I didn't feel for Wilson what others felt. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but after yesterday's game, it's the complete opposite.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Let's be honest, Sam Darnold was under siege multiple times when he was with the Jets but he never was able to stabilize a game and rally the team like Wilson displayed yesterday.  

I'm happy with the direction the team took in trading Darnold, but if you're asking for honesty, let's take it all the way. Darnold also didn't have multiple 1st round OL and Corey Davis, and had one of the worst HC of all time with a no name OC and no QB coach. All of that plays a part in one's ability to stabilize a game.

• Post of the Week 1

Got to get the run game working. Can't be one dimensional vs the Pats.

Zach really showed grit and Corey Davis is legit. Seemed to settle down as the game went along. Made some clutch throws, especially 4th down to Berrios. Really hope Cole can go next week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

As I brought up the lack of touches for Elijah Moore, I forgot to mention
that he also had a drop on a 40+ yard "off script" throw from Wilson.
How much would that have changed the outcome of the game?

That was huge. Would have switched the momentum of the game. 

One other little thing I noticed about Zach: He went and thanked every player on offense after we failed to stop Car on their last drive. (We win by the way if Zach gets the ball back) That will go a long way with the team after they sucked balls in the game.

I'd also like to add to the folks questioning the Berriosl / Mims situation, I think Robert Saleh is old school. Your best ability is availability. I think he rewarded the kid for giving it his all through training camp. In my opinion he's a really good player.

The offense is obviously a little behind and still trying to get in sync. I believe it will happen sooner rather than later.

Listen this was their first gig. Everything is different when you get on stage under the lights.

Also let me reiterate and I've said this for a while now, I really like Zack in his interviews and press conferences. The first time I really think we have a guy who can handle New York.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Agreed on the QB take. Darnold in the same situation and tis a 30-3 game, not 19-14. 

However, Zach will never reach his potential without drastically improving this roster. The play "the young kids" approach sounds sexy, but I hope at some point the staff will be mature enough to realize if its not working. Yes, we may have to pay a vet or two. By the way who was the biggest player for us yesterday besides Zach? Young kids or picks? No, a FA vet signing in Corey Davis. 

Agree with you 100% 

I think they’ll invest more in vets next offseason. Really think they wanted to maximize their draft capital this 2 years with all the picks and set a foundation of young players to build around. If I’m wrong and they don’t bring in a few more vets then I’ll start to shake my head at JD.....because going full out Sam Heinkie in the NFL is a tough sled! 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

As I brought up the lack of touches for Elijah Moore, I forgot to mention
that he also had a drop on a 40+ yard "off script" throw from Wilson.
How much would that have changed the outcome of the game?

An obvious pass interference call there would have helped too.

• Upvote 1

Something I saw from Zach yesterday that I never saw from Darnold (or most of his predecessors) - that real zip on the ball that means the DBs have far less time to react. Watching the two TDs to Davis you could never see Darnold making those fastball throws. Especially the first where he was on the run at the time.

• Upvote 1

On the field the OL sucked. Off the field LaFleur's game plan sucked--especially in the first half. 

I want to give LaFleur the benefit of the doubt that he's a brand new OC with a bunch of new players and wanted to give them a simplified game plan and let people make mistakes in their roles to develop. That certainly explains a lot about the offense yesterday, especially in the first half. 

Wilson is going to get killed this season if they keep the same offensive scheme without the OL getting better. LaFleur needs to add blocking help and run more short pass designs. There are all these young guys, take advantage of that by running a faster offense and wear down the defenders. 

Agreed.  That was such a great play by Zach, avoiding the rush and with a seeming flick of the wrist he got it 40+ yards downfield.  Not perfect placement, but certainly catchable.  I hate losing, but there certainly were moments where you saw Wilson's potential. 
Now, they just have to figure out how to protect him next week.  Cause it is not going to get any easier going up against Belichick's defense.

Belli’s D/rook qb
Who you gonna call?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Quinnen Williams and Sheldon Rankins only generated 3 Tackles and 2
QB Hits between them.

This is totally baffling to me.  These 2 guys were supposed to raise mayhem on the offense, especially since the offensive linemen facing them on the other side of the ball were supposed to be "average" at best.  Not only was this performance disappointing, but I question how the coaches are going to address this going forward.  

I'm beginning to feel that the "all gas, no brake" mantra is hollow and meaningless.  I would sit both Quinnen and Rankins and let them watch the next game from the sidelines.  They need to be held accountable, but I know the coaches have no backbone to do that.  

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Hard to believe that this roster is a couple injuries from disaster. Guy’s signed Wednesday playing lol  

watching the better teams with loaded rosters yesterday was depressing. 

Sherwood should be waived and put on the PS  

Starting to see JD put more of an emphasis on his guys playing than putting the best players out there

I think it's Saleh's call who gets play time, no? And hasn't he already stated that he prefers young players that he can mold? And who do we have that is better who's getting passed over by Sherwood?

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

I think it's Saleh's call who gets play time, no? And hasn't he already stated that he prefers young players that he can mold? And who do we have that is better who's getting passed over by Sherwood?

What do you mold a 25 off rating into ?  55?

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is totally baffling to me.  These 2 guys were supposed to raise mayhem on the offense, especially since the offensive linemen facing them on the other side of the ball were supposed to be "average" at best.  Not only was this performance disappointing, but I question how the coaches are going to address this going forward.  

I'm beginning to feel that the "all gas, no brake" mantra is hollow and meaningless.  I would sit both Quinnen and Rankins and let them watch the next game from the sidelines.  They need to be held accountable, but I know the coaches have no backbone to do that.  

I am a little baffled that Quinnen didn't impact the game at all, BUT calling for Quinnen to be benched is pretty ridiculous.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am a little baffled that Quinnen didn't impact the game at all, BUT calling for Quinnen to be benched is pretty ridiculous.  

If the shoe fits, I say "wear it".   You should never bench your best defensive player, except when they are no longer playing anywhere up to the level you expect from them.  I would bench him, and send a message to the team, that no matter who you are, if you don't play with "all gas, no brake", you will be held accountable.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm not a coach. That's for Saleh to decide what to do with. Not JD.

Didn't CJ Mosley also have a low rating? I guess those all-pro seasons never happened.

Im not a coach.  Sherwood is worse than polite. He has no business being on the field. It doesn’t matter if it’s JDs failure or Saleh  at the end of the day does it?

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

Im not a coach.  Sherwood is worse than polite. He has no business being on the field. It doesn’t matter if it’s JDs failure or Saleh  at the end of the day does it?

Move the goalpost much?

Your original point was that the only reason Sherwood was playing was because JD was showing favoritism for his draft picks, rather than putting the best man on the field.

1. Coaches usually decide who plays and how much, not GMs.

2. You failed to give a name of the better player who should've been playing over Sherwood.

I didn't really focus on Sherwood, but if you want to rail on JD and his 5th round draft pick for having a bad game in his first ever start, well that's insanity, but... you do you. Just don't make faulty arguments to do so.