5 Positive Observations from Game

JohnnyLV

42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

1. Zach Wilson was impressive. He was clearly nervous in first quarter, but showed poise and clearly and definitively improved as game went on. Huge victim of drops. If EM catches that bomb whole game might be different. Zach showed tremendous amounts of athleticism and manouverability in the pocket. He could have easily been sacked 5 or 6 more times. When he had a clean pocket he was deadly accurate. His arm is so underrated. The speed at which he gets balls to players when needed is remarkable. 2nd touchdown to Davis was against perfect coverage. The ball got to Mims so fast TV coverage did not really catch it.  He floated the pick. If he rifles that he might make the completion but still an iffy decision.He made some mistakes, threw by my count 3 interceptable balls but he looked like the best player on the Jets. Plus he showed he is really tough. But he cant get sacked 6 times a game and last.

2. Half time adjustments Good teams adjust well in games especially in the 2nd half. Our adjustments were good on both sides of the ball. That is a great sign. We have not had this  capability in a very long time.

3. Corey Davis looks like a #1 receiver and has great chemistry with Zach. The others need to step up.

4. Denzel Mims He got limited snaps but he looked like our second best receiver when in. His run blocking was good and he made the most of his one target. He needs to play more and our coaching staff needs to get over whatever issue they have with him.

5. Ammendola Not only did he fill in well at punter, he actually looked better than Mann. And he was consistent and accurate. I have seen kickers punt after the punter goes down and usually they are OK-ish to a liability. Ammendola was a strength. He has a huge leg. If he fails as a kicker he would probably get looks as a punter now. If Mann is out for any time I think we just roll with him in a dual role.

1. Given what he faces and the support he got, I too was impressed with Wilson.  Or, if not "impressed", at least happy with his effort and quality of play.  Looking forward to seeing him in week 2.

2. Not sure I agree as yet, too early to tell.

3. Davis looked good, and he does seem to have chemistry with Zack, agreed.

4. Again, premature.  1 catch is still just 1 catch.  Mims needs to earn himself playing time and start making 3-5 catches/game before I'm going to be impressed with him.  I want to see Zack with Davis & Crowder, and see how that works.

5. Ammendola was very impressive.  But no, he can't play dual role, for one simple reason....if HE gets rolled on like Mann did and is hurt, who on our roster then handles kickoffs, field goals AND punting for us the rest of that game?  That is why literally no one runs with just one kicker on their active roster.  The loss would be fatal to that game.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

1. Zach Wilson was impressive. He was clearly nervous in first quarter, but showed poise and clearly and definitively improved as game went on. Huge victim of drops. If EM catches that bomb whole game might be different. Zach showed tremendous amounts of athleticism and manouverability in the pocket. He could have easily been sacked 5 or 6 more times. When he had a clean pocket he was deadly accurate. His arm is so underrated. The speed at which he gets balls to players when needed is remarkable. 2nd touchdown to Davis was against perfect coverage. The ball got to Mims so fast TV coverage did not really catch it.  He floated the pick. If he rifles that he might make the completion but still an iffy decision.He made some mistakes, threw by my count 3 interceptable balls but he looked like the best player on the Jets. Plus he showed he is really tough. But he cant get sacked 6 times a game and last.

2. Half time adjustments Good teams adjust well in games especially in the 2nd half. Our adjustments were good on both sides of the ball. That is a great sign. We have not had this  capability in a very long time.

3. Corey Davis looks like a #1 receiver and has great chemistry with Zach. The others need to step up.

4. Denzel Mims He got limited snaps but he looked like our second best receiver when in. His run blocking was good and he made the most of his one target. He needs to play more and our coaching staff needs to get over whatever issue they have with him.

5. Ammendola Not only did he fill in well at punter, he actually looked better than Mann. And he was consistent and accurate. I have seen kickers punt after the punter goes down and usually they are OK-ish to a liability. Ammendola was a strength. He has a huge leg. If he fails as a kicker he would probably get looks as a punter now. If Mann is out for any time I think we just roll with him in a dual role.

all good points.  it's too bad becton went down and will be out for a time but the good news is fant and moses filled pretty well.  i think this oline will improve greatly as they get more reps together.  i was a little surprised moore didn't contribute considering the good press he got during training camp.

11 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

My thing is, early on the line looks worse than last year and this makes little sense. It almost has to be related to, at least in part , the new scheme and new moving parts.   They have to demand better 

New scheme, a unit that took 0 snaps together in the preseason, a 2nd year LT and rookie LG who are having communication issues.

Overall, given the injuries and the completely inept offense in the first half, I thought the defense was solid. Got some push/pressure, weren't gashed too bad by CMC all things considered. It's not a good group but I actually thought they exceeded my expectations and kept us in it. This is a game that easily could have gotten out of hand so to keep the other team under 20 points is a win.

The offense was generally awful -- in the first half they looked as bad as they ever did under Gase last year. The lack of improvement on the offensive line was glaring. They didn't get much push in the run game, allowed penetration regularly and didn't pass protect well at all.

LaFleur seemed stubborn and uncreative early on. Really wanted to establish the run and because we couldn't Zach was in tough spots on 2nd and 3rd down. Didn't do enough to give Zach easy throws and get into a rhythm. If it's news to this staff that teams are going to load up against the run early on, that's not encouraging.

Zach was pretty solid overall. He was under siege for much of the game and I thought the receivers didn't really help him out especially in the first half. He's a gamer though -- it's encouraging that he stuck with it and made some plays in the second half rather than going into a "seeing ghosts" shell where he couldn't do anything all game.

That said, if we don't pass protect better he won't last 17 games. He took a beating.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

My thing is, early on the line looks worse than last year and this makes little sense. It almost has to be related to, at least in part , the new scheme and new moving parts.   They have to demand better 

This was really quite alarming. The one thing going into this game was the anticipation of the OL playing well. Protecting Wilson and creating space for our rb by committee was the one thing we had hoped to build off.  Instead, it was a huge disability leaving us looking unprepared, outclassed and like an expansion team. That first half was as brutal as it gets.  We played much better the 2nd half but this is a long season and we will be playing better teams than the Panthers.  The OL needs to get straightened out and quick. Protecting Wilson must be the first priority even if it means changing the offensive schemes. We all saw what happened to Burrows last year. We cannot afford to put Wilson in compromising positions. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Given what he faces and the support he got, I too was impressed with Wilson.  Or, if not "impressed", at least happy with his effort and quality of play.  Looking forward to seeing him in week 2.

2. Not sure I agree as yet, too early to tell.

3. Davis looked good, and he does seem to have chemistry with Zack, agreed.

4. Again, premature.  1 catch is still just 1 catch.  Mims needs to earn himself playing time and start making 3-5 catches/game before I'm going to be impressed with him.  I want to see Zack with Davis & Crowder, and see how that works.

5. Ammendola was very impressive.  But no, he can't play dual role, for one simple reason....if HE gets rolled on like Mann did and is hurt, who on our roster then handles kickoffs, field goals AND punting for us the rest of that game?  That is why literally no one runs with just one kicker on their active roster.  The loss would be fatal to that game.

We sign a punter this week if Mann is still out. Isn’t what’s his name available-Edwards? He was our kicker for a bit.

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I appreciate the optimism, but c'mon.  The guy played 3 ******* snaps.  How did you get in depth analysis of his run blocking? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

One other positive from coaching staff was going for it on 4th down deep in our own end with 3 minutes to go on the second td drive. Obviously the right call but how many times did Bowles or Gase punt in similar situations? That was like a breath of fresh air especially when Zach converted it. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Overall, given the injuries and the completely inept offense in the first half, I thought the defense was solid. Got some push/pressure, weren't gashed to bad by CMC all things considered. It's not a good group but I actually thought they exceeded my expectations and kept us in it. This is a game that easily could have gotten out of hand so to keep the other team under 20 points is a win.

The offense was generally awful -- in the first half they looked as bad as they ever did under Gase last year. The lack of improvement on the offensive line was glaring. They didn't get much push in the run game, allowed penetration regularly and didn't pass protect well at all.

LaFleur seemed stubborn and uncreative early on. Really wanted to establish the run and because we couldn't Zach was in tough spots on 2nd and 3rd down. Didn't do enough to give Zach easy throws and get into a rhythm. If it's news to this staff that teams are going to load up against the run early on, that's not encouraging.

Zach was pretty solid overall. He was under siege for much of the game and I thought the receivers didn't really help him out especially in the first half. He's a gamer though -- it's encouraging that he stuck with it and made some plays in the second half rather than going into a "seeing ghosts" shell where he couldn't do anything all game.

That said, if we don't pass protect better he won't last 17 games. He took a beating.

Elijah Moore had a disappointing debut with that missed deep ball and was overall extremely quiet.  First game, missed preseason, WR is a notoriously tough transition to the pros.  He should improve.  Get Crowder and Cole back soon, can only help.  Hopefully Mims gets out of the dog house.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The most important thing is that Wilson didn’t implode despite having no support and getting the absolute sh*t knocked out of him. That fourth-quarter TD drive was awesome. I also thought Saleh was good with in-game stuff, which is always a crapshoot with young coaches (especially from the defensive side).

On the other hand, we now have to play the Pats and then the Broncos (in Denver), so we’re almost certainly looking at 0-3, which is depressing

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, docdhc said:

One other positive from coaching staff was going for it on 4th down deep in our own end with 3 minutes to go on the second td drive. Obviously the right call but how many times did Bowles or Gase punt in similar situations? That was like a breath of fresh air especially when Zach converted it. 

Bowles punted I think 95% of the time in that situation. Late in his last season I think he did it once.

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Hard to know if the Titans are as bad as they looked yesterday, but the Falcons London game looks like our best shot at a W before the BYE.

The first game is usually a complete outlier relative to what the team will actually be. Every year teams look like champions week 1 and then are terrible in week 2 and vice versa. It will take a few games to see what we are. How we react and adapt to this loss is what we need to see. We could go out and dominate NE next week and everyone will be thinking SB

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I keep having to mention the tackling in these “positive” threads.

The defense was hitting hard and wrapping up.  Best tackling from a Jets team in a long time.

True. Guidry's tackle especially stood out. Going in we all thought the strength of our team was at the DL and I am sure it will be in the end just on talent, but the issue with our defense yesterday was mostly no cohesion at all in the DL.  I need to watch again but it seemed like QW in his first game was a liability.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The first game is usually a complete outlier relative to what the team will actually be. Every year teams look like champions week 1 and then are terrible in week 2 and vice versa. It will take a few games to see what we are. How we react and adapt to this loss is what we need to see. We could go out and dominate NE next week and everyone will be thinking SB

I don't disagree in principle but I felt like some of our issues yesterday were clear-cut talent issues that will plague us all season.