Becton Suffered A Dislocated Knee Cap

BroadwayRay

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Our two free agent WR signings, Corey Davis and Keenan Cole, are not small and shifty. Surely those are moves that Saleh and LaFleur fully endorsed. 

Mims is a slacker man. Saleh wants to build a culture and he’s not going to play Mims when other players are working harder. He needs to know the playbook and give max effort every single play, even in practice. 

Hopefully Mims gets the message, or he’ll be on his way out following the season. 

I mean, as fans, do we actually know this?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

One of the most important abilities is availability. Becton is like the anti-D'Brickashaw, because he can't stay healthy.

We were spoiled with Brick and hopefully now we see that....

but yes would be nice for our hopefully franchise LT to string some games together and be dependable 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The NFL in general is weak at requiring the necessary protective gear. They will change any rule under the guise of "player safety:" but they refuse to require gear that will protect all players. BB is helped by the NFL allowing his teams to hold.

I believe most of the lineman who refuse to wear it, do so because of fears it will diminish mobility and their performance thereby diminishing their ultimate earning power. Thesee are grown men making a conscious decision as to risks and benefits. I think I would wear them, but everyone has a different amount of risk they are willing to take on.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I mean, as fans, do we actually know this?

Well he’s definitely not achieving his potential.

But as far as actual evidence, there were camp reports that he was lining up in the wrong spot more than once. That’s just a function of not knowing the playbook. 

And it sure looked like he unnecessarily went out of bounds on his catch yesterday. 

I would guess that he is in the coach’s doghouse for multiple reasons, all related to effort. That’s why Berrios is out there over Mims. 

43 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yeah please do, lets trade Mims so he can go to another team who ACTUALLY GETS HIM THE BALL and becomes a pro bowl wide receiver and yet another drafted player we mishandle and let go way too soon. Some of you really don't deserve to have a winning team.   Mims is potentially the best receiver on this team and you are ready to give up.   Maybe you should read this before you trade him - https://www.jetnation.com/2021/09/13/jets-handling-of-denzel-mims-reaches-point-of-absurdity/

It really is strange why they aren't using him, especially yesterday when Cole and Crowder were out. He looked good in pre-season. I don't get it. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

If they're still refusing to play him by the end of the season, then I'll assume it's because there's something the coaches see, that we can't. But, I agree, when he's actually on the field, he seems able to be productive. Maybe after Moore's tough day, we'll see a bit more Mims over him.

Agreed.  There may be something going on that we don't see.  And admittedly I am a Mims fan.  I loved him coming out of Baylor.  Was thrilled when we got him late 2 last year.  I would like to see him get a chance here.  

And I would like to be right about a player for once.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Well he’s definitely not achieving his potential.

But as far as actual evidence, there were camp reports that he was lining up in the wrong spot more than once. That’s just a function of not knowing the playbook. 

And it sure looked like he unnecessarily went out of bounds on his catch yesterday. 

I would guess that he is in the coach’s doghouse for multiple reasons, all related to effort. That’s why Berrios is out there over Mims. 

That doesn't mean he's a slacker. He could just be stupid.

I agree, though, I figure his lack of play time has more to do with something going on behind the scenes we can't see, such as a limited route tree in his repertoire right now. That doesn't mean he's not going to put it together. Hell, the biggest knock on Robby Anderson when he was here was "he could only run in a straight line", and now most people lament letting him walk (I, myself, didn't want him to leave). I also recall when Mims was drafted that he didn't look overly thrilled when we selected him, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. If by the end of the season he still can't get on the field regularly, or he fails to produce when he's on the field, then I'll start to concede that it may be time to move on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I actually saw this happen to a guy playing ping pong at the rec center back in college.  Was gruesome.  Kneecap was sticking out the side of his leg.

Guy never played a snap in the NFL after that.

More seriously, Wendell Davis's career ended when the veterans stadium turf caused him to dislocated both kneecaps at once

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I actually saw this happen to a guy playing ping pong at the rec center back in college.  Was gruesome.  Kneecap was sticking out the side of his leg.

Guy never played a snap in the NFL after that.

A similar thing happened to me. I once jammed my finger catching a Frisbee so bad it was stiff for 3 months.

Haven't played Madden since.

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Enough with the brainless blabbering about draft picks getting injured. Who cares? The endless whining about this is a bunch of hot air. This is something no GM has control over. Nobody can predict who is going to be injured and how frequently unless the person being drafted suffered a lot of injuries in college. None of the players listed fit in that category. 

So really, what's your point? That JD should have a crystal ball stashed away in his desk so he knows who is going to be injured?

What does this have to do with Joe Douglas drafting injury prone players and signing players who never make it to the field?

39 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Herndon was traded after 3 full seasons.

You want to trade Mims after 1 season and 1 game.

Hillary Clinton Nod GIF

You are making my argument.  Other than the most deluded, most of us spent those three years seeing clearly that Herndon didn't have it.   So now you're prepared to waste one/two more years on the hope that Mims will emerge?   Good luck.  Not me.

I'm no player savant, but Mims has never looked right.  And not just me; Saleh and his OC appear to see the same thing.  He had a clean slate with the new coaching staff but wound up "salmon mousse challenged" and number 246 on the receiver depth chart.  In your heart, you know something is up with this kid.

Other than when he's released or traded (or when he takes the league by storm), that's the last comment from me on Mims.   I'll stand by my opinion of the guy.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You are making my argument.  Other than the most deluded, most of us spent those three years seeing clearly that Herndon didn't have it.   So now you're prepared to waste one/two more years on the hope that Mims will emerge?   Good luck.  Not me.

I'm no player savant, but Mims has never looked right.  And not just me; Saleh and his OC appear to see the same thing.  He had a clean slate with the new coaching staff but wound up "salmon mousse challenged" and number 246 on the receiver depth chart.  In your heart, you know something is up with this kid.

Other than when he's released or traded (or when he takes the league by storm), that's the last comment from me on Mims.   I'll stand by my opinion of the guy.

Fair enough. Like I've said before, I'll give Mims at least to the end of this season before I give up on him. It's not like he's out there constantly dropping balls like Herndon.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

The tears were likely frustration. It obviously can’t feel good and must also be a very scary sensation. 

“softees “ get weeded out between high school and D1, no chance they get to the NFL. 

just sucks all around 

I read that Becton's tears were related to some idiot in the medical tent telling him this will be the last season of Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Someone rolls into his knee.. The board "He's injury prone" I love this site 

It isn't just bad luck. Guys who keep getting hurt are getting hurt because they're just not built right. Bottom line Becton is too big for his frame and not in peak shape. He will not be a great left tackle in this league if he keeps missing large chunks of the season due to injuries. Mekhi Becton is basically the Andrew Bynum of LT's - a big disappointment.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I dislocated my right knee cap and it popped back in after 30 seconds or so.

First day i had a huge needle drain the knee of blood and then the knee was put in a cast from my ankle to my thigh for 3 weeks.

Once the cast came off the hard work started. The knee joint literally seizes up so just getting it to bend requires 2-3 weeks of physio. The other weird aspect is just how fast i lost muscle mass in my thigh. Took me a few months to get that back.

Obviously Becton has the best medical staff and advice available plus he's an athlete with the time and motivation to fast track his physiotherapy but i''d be amazed if he wasn't out for 8-10 weeks.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZakkAttak said:

I dislocated my right knee cap and it popped back in after 30 seconds or so.

First day i had a huge needle drain the knee of blood and then the knee was put in a cast from my ankle to my thigh for 3 weeks.

Once the cast came off the hard work started. The knee joint literally seizes up so just getting it to bend requires 2-3 weeks of physio. The other weird aspect is just how fast i lost muscle mass in my thigh. Took me a few months to get that back.

Obviously Becton has the best medical staff and advice available plus he's an athlete with the time and motivation to fast track his physiotherapy but i''d be amazed if he wasn't out for 8-10 weeks.

I would bet even $ that we don't see him again this season.   I hope he uses the rehab and time away to shed 30-50 lb's otherwise this is going to be a wash, rinse, repeat with him.