Week 1 Overreaction

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets are a bad football team. Everyone knew this whether they admitted it to themselves, or not. The upside for this season is finding the bright spots. And hopefully QB is one of them.

Isn’t it telling that the jags also looked terrible?

that said, if the jets had more imaginative play calling on that 4th at 1 we could have won the stupid game.

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets are a bad football team. Everyone knew this whether they admitted it to themselves, or not. The upside for this season is finding the bright spots. And hopefully QB is one of them.

Yes they are bad, but we knew that before yesterday. Anybody who had high expectations for this team was misguided.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

As long as you accept that we're not a good team I think it's fine to take the marathon vs. sprint approach. If you're holding out hope that we go 10-7 I think you're in for a rude awakening, because the team that played yesterday just won't win that many games.

The ideal scenario is that by the second half of the season Wilson and the offense have a groove and show significant improvement.

Nothing wrong with being the 2019 Dolphins.

The more winnable games are early but we will see 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Isn’t it telling that the jags also looked terrible?

that said, if the jets had more imaginative play calling on that 4th at 1 we could have won the stupid game.

You know… hate to play what ifs but with Carl Lawson Jets probably do win. You just know he would’ve forced a Darnold mistake or two.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes they are bad, but we knew that before yesterday. Anybody who had high expectations for this team was misguided.

When can we expect to have expectations? I didn’t have high hopes for this season but the line play yesterday was worse than anyone could have imagined.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Every year bro. Those that preach caution in August are pilloried but then come on smelling like roses in September. And guess what: it’ll be the same forever.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

When can we expect to have expectations? I didn’t have high hopes for this season but the line play yesterday was worse than anyone could have imagined.

Yeah that was even worse than my basement expectations I gotta admit that lol.

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The more winnable games are early but we will see 

Sure, but nobody would have penciled in the Rams as our first win of 2020 right? They might have been the best team/worst matchup for us in the second half last year. I was stunned we won that game -- I'm sure we'll win some we "shouldn't" this year too.

My comment is less about "which games we win" and more about how the team looks. Like, if we'd somehow pulled that game out of our @$$ yesterday I'm not sure I'd be feeling that much better about the team today. The first half offensive performance was pathetic.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here is how important week 1 is in the NFL.

In 2020, Tampa Bay lost and Jacksonville won.

In three of the last 4 seasons that the Jets advanced to the AFC Championship Game, the Jets lost in week 1.

I'm not saying the Jets are a playoff team (or are even close), but the season is a marathon and not a sprint and this team can look very different in December. Let's step away from the ledge and reserve judgement on, well just about everything, until the team plays a significant amount of games this season.  

They call it overreaction Monday for a reason and yet, every year, overreactions galore.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m willing to get on this excuse train for a few weeks but will the season be out of control by mid October? Again…..

This was always a 4-7 win team this season.What exactly does "out of control" mean?  I know you want to hang Douglas in effigy and start with the billboards and plane messages, but this is year 1 (game 1) of a 2-3 year rebuild.  Right now, the Jets are the 2019 Browns.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

We lost to a team led by Sam Darnold.  It's a dumpster fire.

Stop. Sam Darnold beat the Bills in 2019 and look what they became in 2020.  The Darnold Jets won some games in the prior 3 seasons against some good teams.  Anecdotal comments based on one game are just ridiculous.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

The next game will be telling. 2 rookie QB's going head to head in a divisional game.

Except the Pats have better personnel just about everywhere else, so what does it really tell us? These pronouncements about the importance of this game or that are ridiculous.  The NE game will tell us about as much as the Carolina game - that this team needs to grow and improve.  It's not a litmus test game.  Unreal.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This was always a 4-7 win team this season.What exactly does "out of control" mean?  I know you want to hang Douglas in effigy and start with the billboards and plane messages, but this is year 1 (game 1) of a 2-3 year rebuild.  Right now, the Jets are the 2019 Browns.  

Yesterday's team looked like a 1 to 2 win team that won't have a starting QB by game 4.  

Were not close to the 2017 Cleveland Browns.  We might be the 2015 Clevelan Browns.   

TBD...

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

1-5 or worse 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I'm cautious about not overreacting to week 1 but the OL concerns are legit.  That said, it's probably not that bad all year.  And it did get better when Becton went out, as suggested, they might be better served with Fant at LT and Moses at RT.  Sucks that Becton is a bust but it is what it is, could be a blessing in disguise at least for the season.  I really dont understand the approach to the interior of the OL.  They handed AVT the job with basically no competition yet he didnt have a preseason.  Dan Freeney was their big offseason move to beef up the IOL and you knew you were starting a rookie QB. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Yesterday's team looked like a 1 to 2 win team that won't have a starting QB by game 4.  

Were not close to the 2017 Cleveland Browns.  We might be the 2015 Clevelan Browns.   

TBD...

The 2020 Browns got blown out week 1. What did that mean for the 2020 season?  One game..............

If the Jets pulled that game out yesterday  by recovering the insides kick and scoring a last second TD( it was only a 1 score game), would that have changed everyone's view??

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm cautious about not overreacting to week 1 but the OL concerns are legit.  That said, it's probably not that bad all year.  And it did get better when Becton went out, as suggested, they might be better served with Fant at LT and Moses at RT.  Sucks that Becton is a bust but it is what it is, could be a blessing in disguise at least for the season.  I really dont understand the approach to the interior of the OL.  They handed AVT the job with basically no competition yet he didnt have a preseason.  Dan Freeney was their big offseason move to beef up the IOL and you knew you were starting a rookie QB. 

I think the staff didn’t put enough stock into live preseason reps. The two rookies Moore and AVT didn’t play at all in the preseason and didn’t practice much either. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yup.  16 teams are headed for the SB and the other 16 teams are toast.  

Like I said above, I understand the OL concerns but even so, I doubt it's consistently that bad all year long.  They'll get better.  It was their first game in a new system vs. a dangerous front 7.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

My God, it just never ends.  Becton and AVT are both busts based on yesterday??  This board is unreadable today.  

56 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here is how important week 1 is in the NFL.

In 2020, Tampa Bay lost and Jacksonville won.

In three of the last 4 seasons that the Jets advanced to the AFC Championship Game, the Jets lost in week 1.

I'm not saying the Jets are a playoff team (or are even close), but the season is a marathon and not a sprint and this team can look very different in December. Let's step away from the ledge and reserve judgement on, well just about everything, until the team plays a significant amount of games this season.  

Exactly my sentiment. Everyone chill. We're most likely not going to make the playoffs but I really think this team will come into its own and play good ball. We will see  R E L A X

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The 2020 Browns got blown out week 1. What did that mean for the 2020 season?  One game..............

If the Jets pulled that game out yesterday  by recovering the insides kick and scoring a last second TD( it was only a 1 score game), would that have changed everyone's view??

The Browns had one of the most talented rosters in football in 2020.   They blew chunks for years and drafted at the top of the draft for years.  

We don't remotely have a roster like the Browns.  Cleveland got blown out by the Ravens.  We got blown out by a team that's likely to be a 4 to 7 win team.