Week 1 Overreaction

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here is how important week 1 is in the NFL.

In 2020, Tampa Bay lost and Jacksonville won.

In three of the last 4 seasons that the Jets advanced to the AFC Championship Game, the Jets lost in week 1.

I'm not saying the Jets are a playoff team (or are even close), but the season is a marathon and not a sprint and this team can look very different in December. Let's step away from the ledge and reserve judgement on, well just about everything, until the team plays a significant amount of games this season.  

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Did Q actually play yesterday? I'll have to check the stats. I do remember Fatukasi making some noise and John The-Hyphen. Actually, I do remember one play Q made.

I see a definite possible win. The Pats have nobody. And are starting Mac Jones, not Tom Brady. He just lost to TagaSpelling. Not the Pats of yesteryear.

I can’t say for sure, but I figure he may have been the focus of the panthers blocking scheme. That will continue. That’s the ripple effect of the Lawson injury.  You look at this Jets front and there is only one guy to account for. 

ive been a Jets fan long enough to know how the Jones/ Wilson showdown is going to go 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

The Browns had one of the most talented rosters in football in 2020.   They blew chunks for years and drafted at the top of the draft for years.  

We don't remotely have a roster like the Browns.  Cleveland got blown out by the Ravens.  We got blown out by a team that's likely to be a 4 to 7 win team.

Ok, I would not call losing by 5 points getting blown out. 

2 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

The reaction to the OLine isn't an overreaction, but it's week 1.  That was horrid and very concerning.  The lack of adjustments in protection was equally concerning.  

It's early.  They will need to fix that to have a successful season.  Getting the new QB killed hits the rebuild reset button. 

I would say the reaction to the amount of pressure generated is not an "overreaction" per se.  Nonetheless, I get the sense there has been an overemphasis on the Offensive Line personnel of the New York Jets.  One of the first rules I was taught by my mentor in journalism school is to avoid clinging to the easy narrative -- e.g., our offensive line players are awful or soft -- and strive for a deeper comprehension of the multitude of factors at work.  Based on the New York Jets v. Carolina Panthers season opening game, it seems apparent that the Jets struggled with getting adequate protection against run blitzes, failed to get any push in front when taking on extra linebackers, and could not handle edge rush speed.  Part of the issue was that the playcalling was somewhat predictable, e.g., they anticipated short throws and outside runs to start the game.  Part of the issue was a failure to bring extra protection when calling late-developing passing plays (for example the unblocked sack in the first quarter).  Part of the issue was Zach Wilson running around to buy extra time rather than giving up on the play and throwing it away (that happened at least twice).  Part of the issue is miscommunication at the line, it seemed like some of the linemen did not know their assignment on plays.  Part of the issue was likely conditioning, the players seemed fatigued by the heat.  

So in short, I conclude that your statement that "The reaction to the OLine isn't an overaction" is only partially accurate and misleading by omission of detail.  

35 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Did Q actually play yesterday? I'll have to check the stats. I do remember Fatukasi making some noise and John The-Hyphen. Actually, I do remember one play Q made.

I see a definite possible win. The Pats have nobody. And are starting Mac Jones, not Tom Brady. He just lost to TagaSpelling. Not the Pats of yesteryear.

Mac Jones is the second coming of Chad Pennington.  Good touch, dink dunk passes. Occasionally throws a few over 20 yards but does not have a strong arm. But the Pats spent a fortune in FA and have Belicheat who is a master with screwing up a young QB’s head. At this point, after that 1st half fiasco, I just want to see Wilson protected at all costs. Run run run run run run, play action, run run run. 

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Mac Jones is the second coming of Chad Pennington.  Good touch, dink dunk passes. Occasionally throws a few over 20 yards but does not have a strong arm. But the Pats spent a fortune in FA and have Belicheat who is a master with screwing up a young QB’s head. At this point, after that 1st half fiasco, I just want to see Wilson protected at all costs. Run run run run run run, play action, run run run. 

They lost to Miami, not the Chiefs, not the Bills, Miami.

It's a winnable game. And I think Carolina's front four is better than the Pats front seven. 

I think "seeing ghosts" happens when your OL is way worse than ours currently is and your QB is dumber than our current guy is.

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes they are bad, but we knew that before yesterday. Anybody who had high expectations for this team was misguided.

for me it's not that i expected them to win much. my disappointment was just how totally inept the oline looked. that's the thing that was disheartening. the oline being a complete piece of sh*t is a problem that i didnt expect. it's hard to look that bad and yet, somehow, the jets looked like they have a historically bad oline. 

20 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

for me it's not that i expected them to win much. my disappointment was just how totally inept the oline looked. that's the thing that was disheartening. the oline being a complete piece of sh*t is a problem that i didnt expect. it's hard to look that bad and yet, somehow, the jets looked like they have a historically bad oline. 

This is the basic thing, there are style points to be had in losses in the nfl, especially for young rebuilding teams.  For the bills, losing to the Steelers when you’re up 10-0 at home and you’re a super bowl contender, that sucks and there’s no consolation prize.  The jets could have lost to carolina in many different ways, and we could all be pretty happy with it here and feel good about the future.  Instead, we came away wondering if douglas can ever really fix the offensive line, whether bechton or mims will pan out or will the 2020 draft class be another epic fail.  

Yet, watching wilson play was a pleasure, even some of those long throws that went incomplete were on the money.  The secondary seems promising.  I have faith these coaches will fix the defense first, especially after next year’s draft when they focus on pass rushers.  

But yeah, that offensive line.  Couldn’t run block or pass block and worse, they all seemed confused, like they never played together.  It was merely that they couldn’t block anyone, they were getting fooled, and weren’t picking up blitzers.  Looked like a preseason game for the jets in the first half and that’s the best way i can describe it. 

• Upvote 1

the key word is team.  i'm still at 10-7.  it's a matter of how soon they start playing as a team, especially the oline.  they just haven't had the continuity they've needed this season.  oh i suppose you can point fingers at any one of those guys but the truth is if they don't play as a unit they all look bad.  the way this team was able to recover after a miserable first half speaks volumes.

3 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Tackles I think will be fine.  The interior of the OL totally sucks I would use a lot of two back sets including even Wesco so on 3rd down we have a chip blocker to help out up the middle with interior rush

My two cents

20 hours ago, Ben Had said:

The Pats brought is a ton of new players in free agency just like the Jets did!  What I'm saying isn't ridiculous...it comes down to coaching and it's a divisional game.

From the Dolphins fan who’s team  barley one a game if it wasn’t for last minute fumble after Tua threw a pick trying to throw it out of bounds. Why, why do Fins fan always feel the need to obsess about the Jets? You should worry about Buffalo and NE. It really is like a sickness with these Dolphins fans.

23 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure, but nobody would have penciled in the Rams as our first win of 2020 right? They might have been the best team/worst matchup for us in the second half last year. I was stunned we won that game -- I'm sure we'll win some we "shouldn't" this year too.

My comment is less about "which games we win" and more about how the team looks. Like, if we'd somehow pulled that game out of our @$$ yesterday I'm not sure I'd be feeling that much better about the team today. The first half offensive performance was pathetic.

That was Sam's best game as a Jet that season, too.    Of course we did not appreciate that as we were tanking HARD for Trevor Lawrence.....LOL! 

21 hours ago, phill1c said:

BUT, we already bested our average points per game by 2. 

This was a very encouraging Game One IMO. Started off sh!tty, like the offense of the last few coach's offenses did. BUT then, unlike other coach's offenses, it got better. And so did the defense.

Yeah, it was against Sam Darnold. And, yeah, Robbie Anderson had his little Jets dance after being covered by nobody. But, to me, the Panthers looked like the Jets except I liked the way MY GUY Zach Wilson played.

That little Mormon Negro sure plays a mean QB. He's The Man! Put me in his camp like I've never been since Ken O'Brien.

How is that "word" not Censored?    WTF???

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

From the Dolphins fan who’s team  barley one a game if it wasn’t for last minute fumble after Tua threw a pick trying to throw it out of bounds. Why, why do Fins fan always feel the need to obsess about the Jets? You should worry about Buffalo and NE. It really is like a sickness with these Dolphins fans.

I follow all AFCE teams but I really enjoy this forum because of the personalities here...but I have a special place in my heart for the Jets. As a child I learned so many new words listening to my drunk uncle johnny from Brooklyn... screaming at his 19" black and white TV as he cheered for his Jets.

21 hours ago, Biggs said:

There wasn't a point in that game that I felt we had a chance to win.  We were blown out.  Carolina costed in the second half to an easy win.  

Eh, I don't think you can call it a "blow out" when you lose by 5 points. I definitely never thought we were going to win, but I guarantee you that every Panther fan in the world got a little nervous when we cut it to 5. I would have loved to see Zach get the ball back one more time - he clearly got into a nice rythm in that 4th quarter. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, I don't think you can call it a "blow out" when you lose by 5 points. I definitely never thought we were going to win, but I guarantee you that every Panther fan in the world got a little nervous when we cut it to 5. I would have loved to see Zach get the ball back one more time - he clearly got into a nice rythm in that 4th quarter. 

We scored with 1:56 left in the game and were down by more than a FG and I think we had 2 TO left.   Very tough spot.  You almost have to get the onside kick which is almost impossible unless they don't know it's coming.  

The fact that we went for the On side kick was pretty much an indicator that the coaching staff thought we were done.  

I just never felt like we were in position to win the game.  

It wasn't a blow out but by NFL standards a pretty comfortable win.  

Had we had 3 time outs and gotten the 2 point conversion you have a shot to kick off and play for a tie.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We scored with 1:56 left in the game and were down by more than a FG and I think we had 2 TO left.   Very tough spot.  You almost have to get the onside kick which is almost impossible unless they don't know it's coming.  

The fact that we went for the On side kick was pretty much an indicator that the coaching staff thought we were done.  

Had we had 3 time outs and gotten the 2 point conversion you have a shot to kick off and play for a tie.  

What is ignored here is the 2-point Conversion attempt by Zach.   

Did he short-arm that throw?   Didn't look like any Panthers player got a hand on it......

2 minutes ago, Vin said:

What is ignored here is the 2-point Conversion attempt by Zach.   

Did he short-arm that throw?   Didn't look like any Panthers player got a hand on it......

I think it was knocked down.  Live it looked like a short arm but the annoucer indicated it was knoced down.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yea, I mean the fact that we are talking about a 2 point conversion, having 3 timeouts instead of 2 timeouts, and an onside kick attempt, sort of confirms it wasn't a blow out, which was my only point. 

I agree that Carolina was clearly the superior team and deserved to win. 

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think this is right.

They made a valiant effort - and sometimes the better team loses (i.e. getting that flukish on-side kick) - but as a fan, watching that game - I never once felt like the Jets were going to win it.

It was, as you stated, by NFL standards a comfortable win for Carolina.

I'm ok with losing the first game. So many Jets coaches win their first game...and suck for the rest of their tenure.

To be honest, I wasn't even concerned with winning. I was concerned with offensive execution. And defensive execution. And they did better in the 2nd half. Now, was Carolina really trying? I think so. 

Anyway, hardly a gloom and doom situation: the game became entertaining once the jitters went away. I like their personnel and weapons on offense. Defense 'held' the opponent to 19 points at their home. Not terrible.