LaFleur in week 1

freestater

It's very hard to have offensive success when your line can't block in the run game or pass game.  They adjusted in the 2nd half by keeping an extra TE in to block and scrapped the run game for the most part. The Panthers were loading up to stop the run which, if given time, would have opened up a ton of opportunities for Wilson in the passing game.

When you already have no time to throw using play action will only make things worse bc it takes more time for the play to develop.  Going into shotgun and keeping an extra TE in was the right move. I do wish he utilized the WR screen have a lot more earlier on to counter the pressure. That would've been a good way to get Moore involved earlier

When he got time to throw Wilson looked better than any QB we've had here in a long time and this was his first game. I expect them to keep helping the line with the TE staying in to block going forward.  I wish they didn't have to but that's the situation at hand. Give this kid time to throw and we'll put up points. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It's very hard to have offensive success when your line can't block in the run game or pass game.  They adjusted in the 2nd half by keeping an extra TE in to block and scrapped the run game for the most part. The Panthers were loading up to stop the run which, if given time, would have opened up a ton of opportunities for Wilson in the passing game.

When you already have no time to throw using play action will only make things worse bc it takes more time for the play to develop.  Going into shotgun and keeping an extra TE in was the right move. I do wish he utilized the WR screen have a lot more earlier on to counter the pressure. That would've been a good way to get Moore involved earlier

When he got time to throw Wilson looked better than any QB we've had here in a long time and this was his first game. I expect them to keep helping the line with the TE staying in to block going forward.  I wish they didn't have to but that's the situation at hand. Give this kid time to throw and we'll put up points. 

If that is the case, Edoga should play TE

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Bad OL play has a lot of reasons. One of them is changing the blocking scheme to require a skillset that your lineman don't have. 

The only one that I would say doesn't fit this scheme naturally is Becton and he's the one who has struggled the most. He has the agility and quickness to be successful but he has to learn the system. Ideally this dude needs to come into camp next year at 335 lbs. He needs to take his job serious and get it done. I think we'll see better pass protection with him out and Fant over there. 

8 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I feel like execution was more to blame than the play calling. The 4th down run up the middle with Coleman was the one time I was really upset with it. 

Agreed. It seemed like the second he dropped back to pass he had pressure so any creative play Lafleur may have drawn up was blown up. Regardless, in a crappy game, with a crappy offensive line Wilson still managed 258 and 2. Zero chance Darnold does that for us last year in a similar game environment. 

The Panthers seemed to try to cut the field in half and not worry about deep plays which is why all the runs/short passes didn't work but when Wilson created time he found Moore deep (near huge play) , Davis deep (just missed Davis off of one hand) and Davis deep for a TD.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. It seemed like the second he dropped back to pass he had pressure so any creative play Lafleur may have drawn up was blown up. Regardless, in a crappy game, with a crappy offensive line Wilson still managed 258 and 2. Zero chance Darnold does that for us last year in a similar game environment. 

The Panthers seemed to try to cut the field in half and not worry about deep plays which is why all the runs/short passes didn't work but when Wilson created time he found Moore deep (near huge play) , Davis deep (just missed Davis off of one hand) and Davis deep for a TD.

Panthers d game plan was good, over stuff the run and confuse an OL that hasn’t played together all preseason.  Getting burned deep was a risk but a calculated one that nearly cost them the game if if weren’t for mccaffrey.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Kubiak and Shanny jr are really the only ones that run this system good wherever they coach. He’s going to have to figure things out - it’s silly to expect immediate greatness, but fair to expect steady improvement and learning.

Just thought I'd look this up...

Kyle Shanahan's first game as OC, the Texans scored 3 points entering the 4th quarter. Down 35-3 before tacking on two garbage-time TDs. A year later, in that system, Schaub was in the pro bowl, leading the NFL in passing yards. 

Kubiak inherited Elway (and Denver's veteran, chop-blocking OL), and it's hard to say exactly how much control he really had and how much Shannydaddy retained.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Gotta say, I wasn't impressed with much of his playcalling. 4th and short, and you try getting a push up the middle that you haven't gotten all game?

You hit the nail on the head!  How disappointing was that call?   So pathetic!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m praying this guy isn’t just riding a solid last name in the NFL. 

His play calling  was lame 

Just like another esteemed former Jet OC.  Little Schotty.   He got the gig because Woody wanted to hob-nob with big Schotty.   That's now a nobody feels big about themselves.  Invite the big names to their cocktail party. 

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just thought I'd look this up...

Kyle Shanahan's first game as OC, the Texans scored 3 points entering the 4th quarter. Down 35-3 before tacking on two garbage-time TDs. A year later, in that system, Schaub was in the pro bowl, leading the NFL in passing yards. 

Kubiak inherited Elway (and Denver's veteran, chop-blocking OL), and it's hard to say exactly how much control he really had and how much Shannydaddy retained.

So…what’d you learn?

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'd say lets give it some time, maybe?  It's Week 1 and it was the first game of his career. 

Specifically titled the thread week 1, just to clarify that its initial impressions. Sure, he has a chance to improve but initial results aren't positive. We've just been through 'practice doesn't matter', 'scrimmages don't matter',  'it's preseason so it doesn't matter ', just wondering how long into actual games we'll get before any stuff matters. 

Just now, freestater said:

Specifically titled the thread week 1, just to clarify that its initial impressions. Sure, he has a chance to improve but initial results aren't positive. We've just been through 'practice doesn't matter', 'scrimmages don't matter',  'it's preseason so it doesn't matter ', just wondering how long into actual games we'll get before any stuff matters. 

It matters in the sense that we're 0-1 and put up a measly 14 points but I dont know how you can make any long term determinations from this "first impression".  Again, it was his first ever game and his team is terrible and he has a rookie QB who was ineffective for 3 quarters and turned the ball over.  It's hard to make a great first impression under those conditions, is all I'm saying.

It sucks and it is a tired excuse but the reality is, this season really doesnt matter.  It's basically on the job training for all these dudes.

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It matters in the sense that we're 0-1 and put up a measly 14 points but I dont know how you can make any long term determinations from this "first impression".  Again, it was his first ever game and his team is terrible and he has a rookie QB who was ineffective for 3 quarters and turned the ball over.  It's hard to make a great first impression under those conditions, is all I'm saying.

It sucks and it is a tired excuse but the reality is, this season really doesnt matter.  It's basically on the job training for all these dudes.

I know. That's the reality of being a Jets fan.

Next year it'll be, "its really *rookie WR'S* first game, so it really doesn't matter." "Oh, so-and-so got hurt in camp, so it doesn't really matter"...ad infinitum

Just now, freestater said:

I know. That's the reality of being a Jets fan.

Next year it'll be, "its really *rookie WR'S* first game, so it really doesn't matter." "Oh, so-and-so got hurt in camp, so it doesn't really matter"...ad infinitum

Yeah but this season like, never matter.  It was always OTJT for this group.  You dont win with a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie DC and rookie QB w/ a bottom 3 roster.   Nobody ever has and truthfully, the only one that ever actually made it work long term was Jimmy Johnson and they won, what, 1 game his first season?  So we have that going for us! 

Just now, JiFapono said:

Yeah but this season like, never matter.  It was always OTJT for this group.  You dont win with a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie DC and rookie QB w/ a bottom 3 roster.   Nobody ever has and truthfully, the only one that ever actually made it work long term was Jimmy Johnson and they won, what, 1 game his first season?  So we have that going for us! 

Oh, I'm well aware it doesn't matter. After a decade of that though, it begins to get worn thin. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

...which is not to say that it was "Win OR eLsE!" for me this week. I just wanted to see certain things to say that our patience is warranted and reasoned. A competent offense was primary amongst those goals, imo. We got something very far from that, and despite individual failings, I think LaFleur's playcalling is right up there to be rightfully questioned. I want to see a playsheet that leans to the signal caller's strengths. I want to see blocking schemes that blow holes open for rushers. A-gap dives behind a line that's getting no push doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

3 hours ago, Barton said:

You kidding me? He was f'ing awful. And he looked like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines. 

Ist half was rough but the second half was pretty good. 2 long TD drives and a nice call on the first 2 point conversion. Definitely a mixed bag but I wouldn’t call it awful. 

3 hours ago, Wit said:

It seemed like they had planned to use speed in order to run to the outside but that was stifled and it seemed to stop the running attack. 

yeah ty was stopped everytime. Have to get someone to make that first block on the edge so our guy can get going. 

I am expecting the RB blcoking to get better but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Wilson was getting killed out there. tought kid but lets not ruin him Jets

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m praying this guy isn’t just riding a solid last name in the NFL. 

His play calling  was lame 

This is a scary thought.  Jet management  bamboozled again.  Was Peyton Manning involved in this signing?  :-) I grade him  F for the first week.  QB was almost killed in his first start of regular season.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Learn? Nothing, lol.

Except it seems that even Lil' Shanahan didn't have his Texans offense firing on all cylinders for the first 3/4 of his first game as OC.

Watch the Bucs Thursday, and the commentary about the full offense not really being installed last year until week 8-10, with Tom Brady, it kinda puts things into perspective imo

• Upvote 1