Astyn Davis

More Cowbell

Does anyone know when Davis can start to practice?

At this point, he is an extremely valuable player considering what we trotted out at safety once Joyner went down.  Davis can play in the box and allow Maye to go back to being a centerfielder which should help eliminate the big plays like the Robby TD.

I also really think the coaching staff needs to figure out what happened to Mosley because he was invisible against carolina.  Im sure hes rusty but we need him to produce in order for the defense to continue playing at a good level.

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Does anyone know when Davis can start to practice?

At this point, he is an extremely valuable player considering what we trotted out at safety once Joyner went down.  Davis can play in the box and allow Maye to go back to being a centerfielder which should help eliminate the big plays like the Robby TD.

I also really think the coaching staff needs to figure out what happened to Mosley because he was invisible against carolina.  Im sure hes rusty but we need him to produce in order for the defense to continue playing at a good level.

He can return to practice after week 3, then the Jets have 21 days to put him back on the active roster.   

• Upvote 4

What is really going on with Aston Davis? There were talk earlier that he might play this coming Sunday. He showed up at practice a few weeks ago and now he is back on IR. The draft class that once looked promising has almost become invisible due to either injuries or ineptitude. There always seem to be issues with Becton after a very promising start. Maybe too much hype early on? Not his own doing but still concerning. Zuniga has been a colossal disappointment. Morgan was a wasted pick, Perine
hasn’t shown much. Clark and A. Davis, due to long lasting injuries are huge question marks, Mims, a talented 2nd round pick, is
for unknown reasons way down on the depth chart. Now our promising punter is out 5 to six weeks. Hall our 5th round cb, is still standing and playing well. Maybe it will all turn around, but for now not much to be happy about with that draft class.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vic said:

What is really going on with Aston Davis? There were talk earlier that he might play this coming Sunday. He showed up at practice a few weeks ago and now he is back on IR. The draft class that once looked promising has almost become invisible due to either injuries or ineptitude. There always seem to be issues with Becton after a very promising start. Maybe too much hype early on? Not his own doing but still concerning. Zuniga has been a colossal disappointment. Morgan was a wasted pick, Perine
hasn’t shown much. Clark and A. Davis, due to long lasting injuries are huge question marks, Mims, a talented 2nd round pick, is
for unknown reasons way down on the depth chart. Now our promising punter is out 5 to six weeks. Hall our 5th round cb, is still standing and playing well. Maybe it will all turn around, but for now not much to be happy about with that draft class.

No, there weren’t.

• Upvote 2

On 9/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, jetscrazey said:

Joe Douglas continuing the Jets 2nd and 3rd round draft curse.  Davis and Mims won't be on this team next year at this rate.

Davis will have a chance to show us something so he might make it next year.

if Mims was WR4 last week, he will be WR6 with Crowder and Cole back. he will never play except for injuries.

i wonder what the real reason Mims has sat last week and not the BS excuse Saleh gave us.

2 hours ago, vic said:

i think the Covid restrictions hurt JDs ability to scout the 2020 draft 

there was no combine, i there were no pro days 

i remember JD saying he didn't decide on Zach until his pro day cause he had to stand next to him to see him throw. maybe he does that to all the players not just QBs.

these GMs are use to scouting players a certain way. Covid canceled all the pre draft workouts. could have hurt JD.

we will know by December. if the 2021 class looks good and 2020 still looks really bad then there can be some truth to that.

• Upvote 1

I get the strong impression that certain glass half-full posters desperately desire Ashtyn Davis to prove himself a starting caliber safety because it would, in their minds, vindicate Joe Douglas and/or vindicate the decision to part ways with former starting curmudgeon Jamal Adams.  The other posters desire Ashtyn Davis to fail because it would vindicate their negative assessment of Joe Douglas.  In truth Ashtyn Davis does have impressive physical traits, e.g., speed, and its easy to see why he was a decent draft pick.  He simply has not proven himself to be good in coverage, or really anything else that a Starting Safety in the National Football League is expected to do.

In short, you all are on a quest for a pyric victory.  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will prove himself to be a poor player in the NFL, but will probably stick on rosters for ~6 years.  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will at some juncture even start against the Jets and maybe get an interception.  Yes, you will have an opportunity to say, "I knew Ashtyn Davis would be better in a different scheme" or "why can't Robert Saleh properly utilize the talent he's given."  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will get injured during his Jets tenure and you will get a chance to say "why is Joe Douglas so adverse to consulting physicians in the course of preparing his Draft Board."  All of these things are true, but you will not find happiness from any of it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Davis will have a chance to show us something so he might make it next year.
if Mims was WR4 last week, he will be WR6 with Crowder and Cole back. he will never play except for injuries.
i wonder what the real reason Mims has sat last week and not the BS excuse Saleh gave us.

He has not learned the play book and he dropped a sh*t-ton of passes in training camp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I get the strong impression that certain glass half-full posters desperately desire Ashtyn Davis to prove himself a starting caliber safety because it would, in their minds, vindicate Joe Douglas and/or vindicate the decision to part ways with former starting curmudgeon Jamal Adams.  The other posters desire Ashtyn Davis to fail because it would vindicate their negative assessment of Joe Douglas.  In truth Ashtyn Davis does have impressive physical traits, e.g., speed, and its easy to see why he was a decent draft pick.  He simply has not proven himself to be good in coverage, or really anything else that a Starting Safety in the National Football League is expected to do.

In short, you all are on a quest for a pyric victory.  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will prove himself to be a poor player in the NFL, but will probably stick on rosters for ~6 years.  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will at some juncture even start against the Jets and maybe get an interception.  Yes, you will have an opportunity to say, "I knew Ashtyn Davis would be better in a different scheme" or "why can't Robert Saleh properly utilize the talent he's given."  Yes, Ashtyn Davis will get injured during his Jets tenure and you will get a chance to say "why is Joe Douglas so adverse to consulting physicians in the course of preparing his Draft Board."  All of these things are true, but you will not find happiness from any of it.  

but that is human nature, we all want to be right. and then brag about it. even me.

but thats why i wont jump ship on JD. its too early.

yeah were taking on a little water, but its still early. plenty of time to clog the leaks. but as i look out on the horizon there are a good amount of people on this board already on the life boats. 

problem is like you said, now they have to root against anything JD did. cause that will get them what they want. JD fired. its pretty sad when you secretly root against your team or its players.