If we're being honest - are things going well? (Douglas era)

2 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

As long as woody is doing the picking we are going nowhere 

I’m always curious when people say this, and it’s something a lot of Jet fans say. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but let me ask you a question.

If you truly believe that, why torture yourself? You know the Johnsons aren’t selling, so what’s your upside rooting the way you do, and posting on a Jets board? I honestly don’t get it. I’d either stop caring, or move on to another team.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow wow wow calm down pal.  Jabari Zuniga is ready to breakout

Was about to start ranting before i saw this post - and thought I can just borrow it      But for those preaching patience -- why don't you list WHAT has been going well... Tr

- Traded Jamal instead of compounding Mac's error.  - Cut bait on Sam once it became apparent he wasn't the guy, as opposed to continuing to trot him out there in hopes of him figuring it out.

Posted Images

This is a fair challenge. Ironically, this is the first year JD will really be held responsible, and he is highly dependent on the performance of a rookie HC/OC combination. 

While there is more than a little to worry about - we looked to be improving as the game progressed yesterday. I'm going to hope that trend continues and that there is something to Saleh and Lafleur. 

I loved his draft this year and I have to think once AVT gets his feet our OL (at least on the left) will improve. I loved the Elijah pick and I believe he will be a stud. I really loved the Mims pick last year and don't understand what's happening with him. 

All this to say I'm super worried, but I have hope. I'm a Jets fan...

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Gase—who was a bad, absentee coach—was able to get production from three high draft picks who, under Saleh, apparently treated the last eight months like an extended stay at Hedonism, it’s worth noting, I think. 

Saleh’s not getting production out of Becton because Becton is hurt, which is becoming a pattern and which is a Douglas issue, if anything. He’s not getting production out of Mims because he’s not giving snaps to Mims because Mims hasn’t earned them, which would seem to cut against what you’re arguing. He didn’t get production out of Williams in the single game in which he’s coached him, which isn’t evidence of anything to me. I know this is National Jump To Conclusions Week, but 6BDF3443-0139-4CBF-AED7-3E744ED598CA.jpeg.bb4541d7524d2edded7d07edb6040abd.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m always curious when people say this, and it’s something a lot of Jet fans say. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but let me ask you a question.

If you truly believe that, why torture yourself? You know the Johnsons aren’t selling, so what’s your upside rooting the way you do, and posting on a Jets board? I honestly don’t get it. I’d either stop caring, or move on to another team.

I can’t root for the giants.  Their fans are lame.  Plus I’ve been a Jets fan my entire life I lived through the Kotite years

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Saleh’s not getting production out of Becton because Becton is hurt, which is becoming a pattern and which is a Douglas issue, if anything. He’s not getting production out of Mims because he’s not giving snaps to Mims because Mims hasn’t earned them, which would seem to cut against what you’re arguing. He didn’t get production out of Williams in the single game in which he’s coached him, which isn’t evidence of anything to me. I know this is National Jump To Conclusions Week, but 6BDF3443-0139-4CBF-AED7-3E744ED598CA.jpeg.bb4541d7524d2edded7d07edb6040abd.jpeg

Becton has been bad and disinterested all summer. Mims is apparently being punished because he didn’t or wouldn’t learn to play every receiver position. Williams hasn’t deigned to practice at all this summer. Yes, it’s one game, but it was the opener, after an entire training camp together. Seems portentous that your core players were no-shows for the first game of the new coach’s tenure. Obviously it’s early, but it’s something worth watching. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

I can’t root for the giants.  Their fans are lame.  Plus I’ve been a Jets fan my entire life I lived through the Kotite years

I’ll tell you a secret.

I live in a golf community. Rich Kotite lives down the street from me. He’s a nice guy, and can golf very well. 😉

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t tell anyone here, it’s a secret. I live in a golf community. Rich Kotite lives down the street from me. He’s a nice guy, and can golf very well.

😉

That’s how he got hired.  Kotite was a nice guy who charmed Leon Hess

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Was about to start ranting before i saw this post - and thought I can just borrow it

But for those preaching patience -- why don't you list WHAT has been going well...

• Trades

That's all I got. Certainly hasn't been his "Oline" prowess. Fcking disaster actually. The players seem engaged, but is that the coaching staff? How well is the staff doing, really... I think they like Saleh, but how long does that keep oil flowing.... 

I'm genuinely looking for some reflection -- is Douglas managing this team well, or do we just really really really want to believe he is.? 

Indiferencia Shrug GIF

Well his top 2 picks in 2020 no longer fit the coaching scheme so there is that.

The last time I saw the New York Jets succeed in transitioning from a disciplinarian coach to a players coach was when they replaced Eric Mangini with Rex Ryan.  In that transition, Eric Mangini had largely developed a disciplined younger team with core veterans and Rex Ryan, for lack of a better term, unleashed them and better utilized them with an innovative defensive scheme.  The current iteration of the New York Jets have done a Costco brand version of the same transition - i.e., they went from a less impressive disciplinarian in Adam Gase to a less innovator players coach in Robert Saleh.  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that New York Jets brass are attempting to replicate something that worked in the past without thinking about why it worked in the past.  

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Re the oline, I have said this before and I'll say it again.  I hate the zone blocking scheme.  It turns checkers into chess.

Oline should be simple, you block or hold the guy in front of you.  In the running game you hammer his ass.

We take guys with good skill sets and make them think too much.

The zone schemes worked great for some teams when it first came out and the teams had no injuries and great continuity.

Part of the issue?  Our zone blocking guys get totally over powered at the point of attack.  Out big guys are not allowed to just road grade the guy in front of you.

When a guy in a man blocking scheme gets beat the other player has to at least go through your body.  with zone if you make a mistake a guy gets a 100% free trip to kill the QB.

Agree with you 100% on the zone blocking. I don't like it one bit. It takes time for the line to gel especially with only 3 pre-season games and limited reps and a rookie. Somebody needs to explain to me why this is seen as an advantage over man to man blocking. They were atrocious. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Was about to start ranting before i saw this post - and thought I can just borrow it

But for those preaching patience -- why don't you list WHAT has been going well...

• Trades

That's all I got. Certainly hasn't been his "Oline" prowess. Fcking disaster actually. The players seem engaged, but is that the coaching staff? How well is the staff doing, really... I think they like Saleh, but how long does that keep oil flowing.... 

I'm genuinely looking for some reflection -- is Douglas managing this team well, or do we just really really really want to believe he is.? 

Indiferencia Shrug GIF

So you think a decade of bad drafts, bad contracts, Dysfunctional culture gets fixed in a year or 2? This is atleast a 3 year project. Want some reflection? Here's some reflection, The Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL and have the worst record since 2016. The Jets have been worst run team in the league for a decade. They currently have the youngest team in the league, a staff full of new first timers and they're all developing on the fly. They lost by 5 points and outscored Panthers 14-3 in the second half. But this place will have you thinking we lost 35-0

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3
7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This little spot of rhetorical sleight of hand is one of the best running bits on the board. As if thinking Gase is terrible is some fringe belief that’s constantly being confounded by the evidence 

Gase was certainly terrible, the point being that there should have been a dramatic and obvious change in output from players who were supposedly held back by his coaching.

All it took was one training camp for Kotite’s Jets to turn from imbeciles to productive starting players under Parcells.  And here we are, exciting new head coach, fantastic T-shirt slogan, and the team looks no different than it used to.  So either Adam Gase wasn’t so bad, or Robert Saleh is bad, or Joe Douglas picked some god-awful players. I’m putting my money on the latter.

SAR I

3 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

So you think a decade of bad drafts, bad contracts, Dysfunctional culture gets fixed in a year or 2? This is atleast a 3 year project. Want some reflection? Here's some reflection, The Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL and have the worst record since 2016. The Jets have been worst run team in the league for a decade. They currently have the youngest team in the league, a staff full of new first timers and they're all developing on the fly. They lost by 5 points and outscored Panthers 14-3 in the second half. But this place will have you thinking we lost 35-0

The Panthers laid down in the second half, everyone knows this. A 16 point lead at home against a rookie quarterback, rookie head coach, and the worst offensive line in the history of the league and the only way Rhule loses is if they turn the ball over.  

This team has been in a deep rebuild since they announced it in 2017.  We should be seeing results from the last five drafts and the last five free agency periods.  And we aren’t.  

Stop making excuses.   This isn’t Year 1 of anything.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, PLO said:

Most of our draftees from the recent draft got game time on the weekend; for the defensive players that's pretty good given where they were picked. 

Meaning most of our top picks in the last few years aren’t playing.    sad that our number 1 picks from Sam back are all gone…..   we seem to have good coaching etc.. need better draft results.  I’d like to see stats on the number one picks of other teams going back say 6 years.  

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What’s the evidence that Becton was disinterested? That Carl Lawson kicked his ass up and down the field every day? That could just mean he’s bad, which, again, is a Douglas issue. The Mims thing, again, seems to contradict everything else you’re saying—the coaches gave him a job, he didn’t do it, so now he doesn’t get the ball, and somehow this means Saleh is too soft on players (?). I was disappointed in Williams yesterday, but it was only one game and he’s been kind of a flake since he got here. 

I’m not stanning for Saleh. He wasn’t my first choice and I think skepticism of new coaches is always healthy, especially when they come with a bunch of media hype, and especially especially when they get hired by the Jets. But this feels a little like an answer in search of a question.

It is becoming obvious that there are a lot of round holes being filled by square pegs and that is not the sign of a great NFL head coach or a great NFL general manager.

Players play the games and players win or lose the games. If we don’t have an offensive line that is agile, and if we have young WR talent that isn’t comfortable, then we shouldn’t be running these systems.

And even if the systems are the answer, there is no excuse for this lack of preparation.  It seems that everyone in the building, including the media, knows that our offensive line can’t pass protect. So it is irresponsible to start the season sticking to a strategy that isn’t working. Training camp is over. These games are for real.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

I think the real issue is that a bunch of people sit around saying "anyone would be better than this.  Every change is seen as an upgrade.  Gase was the worst coach ever.  Having Saleh is a huge upgrade.  Darnold is horrible how can he beat us?  Picking up a guy like Morgan Moses is looked at like it will be a two game swing.  Newsflash:  I lived in DC for most of the last decade.   They had Morgan Moses and Trent Williams.   For the most part they have been atrocious.

Football is the ultimate team game.  Everything depends on the guys around you.   This is particularly true on the O line and even more so with a ZBS.  I get the complaints about using too much ZBS making things difficult, but the fact is all teams do it.  DWC had a big post calling me stupid because I said the Jets were more power scheme under Callahan and he had an article about them implementing some ZBS plays with great success in 2009.  Fact is that everybody does some of both.  It will take time to gel.

More importantly everybody admits that we went young.  We had a rough camp and are integrating things that these guys will take time to learn.  We knew there would be growing pains, but now that we see them we are acting surprised?  More importantly I think a bunch of people had inflated ideas of what the "worst case scenario" could be.  Who were our best players on D?  Q, Lawson and Mosley.   Q has been out and looked bad.  Mosley looked terrible, which everybody figured was a possibility since he hasn't played in 2 years.  Like Le'veon Bell looking like sh*t.  Surprising?  Maybe, but not particularly.  Lawson is out.  Becton is a big dude that might struggle with health and the concepts, but half the board is putting him in the pro bowl and saying how we were so much smarter than the Bucs taking Wirfs.  Moore missed most of camp, are people surprised he was uneven?

There was every reason to expect this kind of performance without it meaning we are headed in the wrong direction.  Maybe the first game is a anomaly.  Maybe the Panthers D is really good.  They certainly think it might be.  Same goes for the Giants running into Denver.  Does any of this mean we are going to be serious playoff contenders next year?  Certainly not, but the game sure doesn't preclude it. 

Yeesh that was long.  I feel like a cross between sperm and bleedin'  I am going to get some coffee.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You ( and @Green Ghost ) hit it right down the middle of the fairway here.  Mims needs playing time and unless there's a true medical or disciplinary reason he's being held out then there is serious mismanagement going on.  If JD drafted a player like Mims knowing that he can't play in the NFL's second or third most utilized system then that's a really, really bad use of a 2nd round draft choice.  WRs run routes and occasionally need to block, maybe moreso in this outside/wide zone offense.  But man, get the guy some reps!  The hard part to stomach here (salmon joke not intended) is that Mims is emblematic of the 2020 Draft class but is really one of the guys who seems to have actually earned more opportunities.

The 2020 Draft is looking worse by the day unfortunately.  Injuries are an unfortunate part of football but just about every single player drafted has had significant injury problems to go along with questionable performance.  I'm not just talking about missing a game or two... or three.  Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Clark, etc. have all missed (or will miss) what?  20%, 40% or more of this season or last season?  Heck, even the damn punter is getting hurt and Perine was out yesterday too.

With all of this said, I actually do think this offensive scheme is going to be something that takes a few weeks (maybe half the season) to find it's groove.  The footwork, timing, cadence and rhythm of the OL has to be damn near perfect for this thing to look good.  It's the biggest factor in the outside/wide zone blocking scheme.  And, the timing and understanding of the "one cut" RB has to be synchronized as well.  All of this takes lots of reps.

I don't think the personnel is horrible on the OL.  I just don't know if it's very good.  Hard to tell at this point.  But I'm questioning LaFleur and the rest of the coaches on O right now.  Zach seemed ready and prepared and there were some bright spots from Corey Davis, etc.  But everyone else seemed unprepared, Moore was dropping passes, Michael Carter dropped a pass, etc.  The OL couldn't handle stunts, twists or the internal "games" that pass rushers play.  I just don't know if that's because of the scheme or not.  But none of it is an excuse for the use of Mims which I still don't understand.

Not directing this at you saying this is your thoughts but mostly just in general, criticizing scheme after 1 game is absurd.  Like you said it takes time, zone especially takes a lot of chemistry, on double teams when to come off, where to step, everything must be in unison, also the angle of the steps.  You have guys like AVT who havent played a snap all year so far until game one and hes got Brown (who is a massive human) lined up all over him in run plays and they're blitzing delayed right in his gap on others.  Its a lot to handle.  

Bottom line is this, watch a lot of the nfl this week and there are a lot of teams struggling right now to get some consistency.. We saw this last year too with the lack of preseason how teams started sloppy.  While we had one this year a lot of guys were out, and that is the challenge now.  I will hold all real criticism until after the year is over and we have an adequate sample size for which to judge the coaching staff.  

As a coach there are so many times when we put concepts in that we love that look like absolute crap for the first few weeks.  It's easy to get frustrated and say scrap it! but thats the wrong way to do things.  If you truly believe in what youre doing and know the players can get it done then you rep it, take your lumps, then when it pays off its so much better than you think.  

Football takes time, this is a young team, a young staff.. It will come together.  If it doesnt by middle of the season and looks worse, then criticism is warranted. 

In regards to mims i also would like to see him get more work but salehs press conference yesterday perhaps gave a glimpse into why he has been lacking in that department.  Saleh mentioned that he is behind other guys and for him to be able to know inside and out every position (Z, X, F) at a high level then he could get more playing time.  Sounds like he hasnt mastered the offense yet to the point where they feel comfortable subbing him in at every position.  It may be he only really knows the X well and with the offense not sustaining drives yesterday there wasnt a need to have him subbed in.   This is not the first time this has been alluded to also, we've heard rumblings now a few times that he may not be putting it together mentally yet. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Some of you, please don't be twitter wives. It's not as simple as Joe sucks or he's awesome. Or it's amazing or the worst.

I simply asked -- are we doing ok?...or area we telling ourselves we're doing ok... there's some things to wince at. 

its a nuanced point but i think it comes down to how you believe Becton and AVT will be as players.  If you believe they will stink, well then JD has done an awful job.  If you believe they will be good, then time will show he's done alright.  They tried to get aggressive for some FA's that understandably chose better situations which I think also has hurt this line rebuild but we have to rock with the guys we have right now until a better alternative presents itself.  

Are we doing ok?  I believe yes. if you asked if we were doing great id say no. but OK? yea I think we are.  But again time will tell, its so hard to answer this point right now. 

What we can say is that Douglas's first draft right now looks shotty.  Davis has barely played, Zuniga is a bust, Clarke had an unfortunate injury, morgan gone, and Becton the jury is out on.  Mims we like but it really sounds like he's struggling to learn the system mentally, so we'll see where that comes into play.   The lone spots I think we've been ok with has been Hall who looks good and Mann who had improved in Preaseason but is now out. 

I have much higher hopes for this draft class, so we'll see where it goes.  Obviously week 1 has shaken everyones faith in everything, but I really do believe as the year goes on and players get more experience things will clean up and we'll all settle down. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Becton has been bad and disinterested all summer. Mims is apparently being punished because he didn’t or wouldn’t learn to play every receiver position. Williams hasn’t deigned to practice at all this summer. Yes, it’s one game, but it was the opener, after an entire training camp together. Seems portentous that your core players were no-shows for the first game of the new coach’s tenure. Obviously it’s early, but it’s something worth watching. 

Williams and Mims missed a bulk of camp because of bad salmon and injuries. At Philly joint practices Quinnen said he’s at about 20%, take it for what it’s worth. So I wouldn’t say entire training camp together when both were spent on the sidelines rehabbing. 
Becton is exactly what he is. Lazy, reads about himself, and gets away with being soft because he can play well based just off his size. 

IMHO, things are going great because the two most important people to an NFL team's success are the QB and the HC. I truly believe we finally hit pay dirt on the QB and I still feel real good about Saleh. So, I'm psyched about the team right now. As for JD, I disagree with some of his decisions, but I do feel that unlike, Mac, JD learns from mistakes. 

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Well his top 2 picks in 2020 no longer fit the coaching scheme so there is that.

If this is the case, he needs to ship them ASAP. Saleh and LaFleur's scheme isn't changing, and they aren't going anywhere soon. I would not be against trading Becton and Mims if they are not fits for the current schemes. 

There was no way of JD knowing that his two picks were not going to fit in with the HC of the following season. I can't bang him on that. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase was certainly terrible, the point being that there should have been a dramatic and obvious change in output from players who were supposedly held back by his coaching.

All it took was one training camp for Kotite’s Jets to turn from imbeciles to productive starting players under Parcells.  And here we are, exciting new head coach, fantastic T-shirt slogan, and the team looks no different than it used to.  So either Adam Gase wasn’t so bad, or Robert Saleh is bad, or Joe Douglas picked some god-awful players. I’m putting my money on the latter.

SAR I

Your takes are simply horrible. You spent 2 years vehemently defending the idiot Gase who was arguably the worst coach this team ever had. Now you are all over Saleh after 1 game. A game in which they played a ton of rookies and some of those rookies had very limited reps in pre-season due to injuries. They actually made some halftime adjustments, something that hasn't been done since Parcells, and only lost by 5 on the road. It's laughable that you say the Panthers laid done after being up by only 2 scores at halftime. Another brilliant take of yours. The facts are the Jets have new coach with a new staff, a new offense, a new QB, a bunch of rookies and a roster that isn't great. If you thought they were going to look sharp in game 1 that's on you. It's going to be an up and down year with anywhere between 4 and 6 wins. I'm looking for them to get better as the season moves along and for growth and progress from a young team. It's all about next year and beyond if you care to open your eyes and see what they are doing. 

Anything over 5 wins and Zach getting out healthy would be fine.  If we have another 2 win season or Zach goes down with a major injury things with the Jets will not be going well. 

5 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Your takes are simply horrible. You spent 2 years vehemently defending the idiot Gase who was arguably the worst coach this team ever had. Now you are all over Saleh after 1 game. A game in which they played a ton of rookies and some of those rookies had very limited reps in pre-season due to injuries. They actually made some halftime adjustments, something that hasn't been done since Parcells, and only lost by 5 on the road. It's laughable that you say the Panthers laid done after being up by only 2 scores at halftime. Another brilliant take of yours. The facts are the Jets have new coach with a new staff, a new offense, a new QB, a bunch of rookies and a roster that isn't great. If you thought they were going to look sharp in game 1 that's on you. It's going to be an up and down year with anywhere between 4 and 6 wins. I'm looking for them to get better as the season moves along and for growth and progress from a young team. It's all about next year and beyond if you care to open your eyes and see what they are doing. 

Wilson looking good is the most important thing. But this isnt truly year 1. Douglas had a ton of picks last year and they’re all not contributing. He took over a team with little talent and the players he picked can’t even get on the field. Just a massive swing and a miss.

I think there's reason for optimism, but certainly reason for skepticism. I'm a Joe Douglas believer but have been disappointed in several things, most notably the 2020 draft class.

One thing I'll say is this -- we had basically sucked at drafting for ten years before his arrival. Idzik and Maccagnan were absolutely terrible. The reason Douglas was able to negotiate a 6 year deal was because he was desired and had leverage and everyone in the league knew how bad our roster was.

This wasn't going to be an overnight fix. I think we all want to see tangible progress and I'm concerned we haven't seen more, specifically on the offensive line. But the idea that we should be looking to make a change at this point is the absolute worst thing we could possibly do. We need to give Saleh and Douglas free reign to turn this thing around. They are tied at the hip through (at a minimum) the end of the 2023 season.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson looking good is the most important thing. But this isnt truly year 1. Douglas had a ton of picks last year and they’re all not contributing. He took over a team with little talent and the players he picked can’t even get on the field. Just a massive swing and a miss.

Let me know how many teams have all of their draft picks playing for the team. For 2020 draft: Becton had a good rookie season and was being touted as a top LT. Just because he had a rough 1st game and got injured does not change this. Everybody was doing cartwheels when we got Mims in the 2nd and he had a decent year as well. I don't know what is going on with him and the coaching staff but the kid has talent and does make plays when targeted. Davis has a high ceiling but has been often injured, not something that the GM can be faulted for. Zuniga looks like a bust right now. The jury is still on Perrine but not great so far. James Morgan was a wasted pick. Clark could be a decent pick but has been injured but again can't blame GM for this. Bryce Hall looks to be a very good 5th rounder and Mann was a good 6th rounder as well. The 2021 draft looks even better. Wilson, AVT, Moore, and Carter could be a great top 4 picks and the rest of the draft doesn't look too shabby either. Time will tell. 

u are what your record says you are -bill parcells

right now Joe is a guy that took over a team and made it worse-his resume includes GM of the second worst team in football at the end of last year

This year -his team is 0-1

The results under Joe so far have been terrible and will remain terrible until the team actually competes and wins games

some how fans think this is year one of the rebuild because there is  new coach and a new qb-that is false-Joe's rebuild started the day he got a pay check from the Jets

5 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Let me know how many teams have all of their draft picks playing for the team. Becton had a good rookie season and was being touted as a top LT. Just because he had a rough 1st game and got injured does not change this. Everybody was doing cartwheels when we got Mims in the 2nd and he had a decent year as well. I don't know what is going on with him and the coaching staff but the kid has talent and does make plays when targeted. Davis has a high ceiling but has been often injured, not something that the GM can be faulted for. Zuniga looks like a bust right now. The jury is still on Perrine but not great so far. James Morgan was a wasted pick. Clark could be a decent pick but has been injured but again can't blame GM for this. Bryce Hall looks to be a very good 5th rounder and Mann was a good 6th rounder as well. The draft right now is a mixed bag and not a massive swing and miss as you say. 

stop it mims did not have a decent year-no tds no hundred yard games and could not stay on the field-berrios had 3 more tds than him

• Upvote 1

I think one thing that’s going well is allocating draft assets...i think Douglas has “wheeled and dealed” well. Has been willing to cut his losses and obtain picks for players who haven’t worked out. 

Everything else is still a work in progress/performance yet to be seen.....that’s not an indictment or vote of confidence either way. You might ask when do we start holding JD accountable for poor performance? For me that happens next year if we don’t at least start to approach a winning record. Also the OL situation. It needs to be figured out.......point blank period. We can’t ruin yet another young QB because we can’t protect him. The play action shots wont work without establishing a running game either! 

I think the overall philosophy he’s utilizing is intelligent.

Execution has left something to be desired thus far. It’s too early to definitively label it as poor but we absolutely can’t call it good either.

Maccagnan was probably the worst GM we’ve seen the Jets have in some time. Not a terribly tough act to follow.

At this point Douglas is basically Idzik with moderately better execution during the draft.

Watching this year progress is going to be really, really interesting. I love the way they attacked the back seven of the defense day three and curious to see if the defense was okay because they were playing Darnold and Carolina didn’t have to press offensively or if they’re building something there without investing a whole lot, before really having a pass rush, and minus arguably the most important player.

Offense has been ugly though. Davis was a nice acquisition. Need Moore to emerge. Obviously Wilson is important. 

The FA OL acquisitions have been mediocre at best. Draft picks too honestly. Clark hasn’t done much. Becton was a high risk high reward pick and all he’s done is confirm his status as a high risk high reward player which is fine for a little but eventually no good. With what they gave up for AVT he needs to be a Pro Bowl guard.

There was a ton to do when he started and he’s basically turned the team over without mortgaging the future but the cost of not mortgaging the future is you really don’t see those short term bumps in team quality.

I’m fine giving him more time because I agree with the philosophy but the flaws need to be acknowledged as well.

• Upvote 2