If we're being honest - are things going well? (Douglas era)

Paradis

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

stop it mims did not have a decent year-no tds no hundred yard games and could not stay on the field-berrios had 3 more tds than him

You are right, not exactly decent. He had 23 catches in 8 games for a 16 YPC. You can't blame the GM for injuries though. I still think Mims has talent and was a good pick in the 2nd round for a team looking for offensive help. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

It is becoming obvious that there are a lot of round holes being filled by square pegs and that is not the sign of a great NFL head coach or a great NFL general manager.

Players play the games and players win or lose the games. If we don’t have an offensive line that is agile, and if we have young WR talent that isn’t comfortable, then we shouldn’t be running these systems.

And even if the systems are the answer, there is no excuse for this lack of preparation.  It seems that everyone in the building, including the media, knows that our offensive line can’t pass protect. So it is irresponsible to start the season sticking to a strategy that isn’t working. Training camp is over. These games are for real.  

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Panthers laid down in the second half, everyone knows this. A 16 point lead at home against a rookie quarterback, rookie head coach, and the worst offensive line in the history of the league and the only way Rhule loses is if they turn the ball over.  

This team has been in a deep rebuild since they announced it in 2017.  We should be seeing results from the last five drafts and the last five free agency periods.  And we aren’t.  

Stop making excuses.   This isn’t Year 1 of anything.  

SAR I

Laid down at halftime in a 2 score game? Tell me you've never played the sport without telling me you've never played the sport. You can't rebuild if you trade away your assets like Maccagnan did to get Darnold is if they were a qb away from being competitive. And give out the insane contracts to Johnson, Enunwa, Mosley Bell. We've tried to take the easier route and fired coaches and GMs when things went south. Maybe we should try something different like giving these guys a chance to show us what they can do, no? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Re the oline, I have said this before and I'll say it again.  I hate the zone blocking scheme.  It turns checkers into chess.

Oline should be simple, you block or hold the guy in front of you.  In the running game you hammer his ass.

We take guys with good skill sets and make them think too much.

The zone schemes worked great for some teams when it first came out and the teams had no injuries and great continuity.

Part of the issue?  Our zone blocking guys get totally over powered at the point of attack.  Out big guys are not allowed to just road grade the guy in front of you.

When a guy in a man blocking scheme gets beat the other player has to at least go through your body.  with zone if you make a mistake a guy gets a 100% free trip to kill the QB.

This is interesting because it’s the foundation of the Shanny offense....but I’m not sure if we have the right personnel to do the job...notably Becton. He would be much better served in a gap, man to man scheme where he could just man handle the person in front of him. 

San Fran’s OL is really good with ZBS and they downright maul you in the running game. What do they have that we don’t? Better O Lineman.....better fits for the ZBS, or a combination of both? 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Panthers laid down in the second half, everyone knows this. A 16 point lead at home against a rookie quarterback, rookie head coach, and the worst offensive line in the history of the league and the only way Rhule loses is if they turn the ball over.  

This team has been in a deep rebuild since they announced it in 2017.  We should be seeing results from the last five drafts and the last five free agency periods.  And we aren’t.  

Stop making excuses.   This isn’t Year 1 of anything.  

SAR I

i can see your the half empty guy. 

you can look at things 2 ways. either we played better in the 2nd half. or they let up. 

no wonder your always negative on this team.

if they laid down then they would have sat CMC for a few plays and gave it to there RB2. CMC had EVERY carry minus a 14 yd end around by Moore.

so Wilson didnt play well?. those 2 TDs in the 2nd half were because they let him have it? 

i thought the defense played well  all game. especially the secondary. those young CBs didnt let those WRs kill them. .

but you think they laid down so they must have not played that well then, right?

and the comeback in the 2nd half wasnt because Saleh made adjustments right? nooooo cant be, he cant be a good HC. they let us play better

so when did the lay down end? or did they let us almost tie the game. was it the 2pt conversion? 

no NFL team, sits on a 16 pt lead at the half.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Very little. 

But what do you want to DO about it right now, exactly, apart from complain?

Rookie Head Coach - One game in, 0-1.  Hard to really evaluate at this point, 2nd half better than first, been a while since we saw that here, lol.

Rookie O-Co - One Game in, ranked 25th in points, 27th in Yards (with two teams yet to play, so could drop 2 more slots to 27 and 29).  Not so great, especially OL and Running game.  Still, slightly better than last year's 32nd/32nd rankings.

Rookie QB - One Game in, 54%, 258 Yards, 2 TD, 1 INT.  Not too shabby given how pressured he was.

So again, what do you want to DO one game in to 2021 under an entirely new staff, with a new QB, and much of a new roster?

I preach patience only because we're not going to do anything during the 2021 season.  No firings.  No cut prominent players.  No dumping JD.

We're going to have to evaluate the team and JD at year's end.  If, at that point, if all JD's moves prove to have sucked, by all means, demand his firing.  I doubt you'll get it from Woody, but demand away.

I preach patience because we have no choice, and judging JD's 2021 moves after one game seems, premature at best.

I'm a fan of complaining. If you keep doing it long enough, eventually other people start to get it and you avoid a decade of treading water in the basement. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, maury77 said:

I'm a fan of complaining. If you keep doing it long enough, eventually other people start to get it and you avoid a decade of treading water in the basement. 

You think?  I don't.  Your (and my) complaining is literally screaming at the void, sound and fury, accomplishing piss all.  Surely you know that, right?

Not in any way saying not to complain if you want to complain, but I truly hope you don't think it actually does something tangible.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

This is interesting because it’s the foundation of the Shanny offense....but I’m not sure if we have the right personnel to do the job...notably Becton. He would be much better served in a gap, man to man scheme where he could just man handle the person in front of him. 

San Fran’s OL is really good with ZBS and they downright maul you in the running game. What do they have that we don’t? Better O Lineman.....better fits for the ZBS, or a combination of both? 

That is part of the issue for me, you seem to need to have the perfect personnel for the scheme.  The scheme might also be part of the reason Becton was struggling this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

So you think a decade of bad drafts, bad contracts, Dysfunctional culture gets fixed in a year or 2? This is atleast a 3 year project. Want some reflection? Here's some reflection, The Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL and have the worst record since 2016. The Jets have been worst run team in the league for a decade. They currently have the youngest team in the league, a staff full of new first timers and they're all developing on the fly. They lost by 5 points and outscored Panthers 14-3 in the second half. But this place will have you thinking we lost 35-0

I think the efforts we've made haven't worked out since 2019 in about 2/3 of the case. 

Like @Lith @Chrebetfan80 @bostonmajet @sourceworx pointed out, there's a lot happening here. Your response like many others is too much "status green or red" threshold... I think Lith articulated the struggle well -- it's not as though he's not trying. The approach is sound, but he's missing the mark too often, or at least not hitting the bullseye enough. The oline is worse than it was when he got here somehow.

I'm starting look over Joe's shoulder at Mike. You scheme to talent, not the other way around when you first arrive 

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think the efforts we've made haven't worked out since 2019 in about 2/3 of the case. 

Like @Lith @Chrebetfan80 @bostonmajet @sourceworx pointed out, there's a lot happening here. Your response like many others is too much "status green or red" threshold... I think Lith articulated the struggle well -- it's not as though he's not trying. The approach is sound, but he's missing the mark too often, or at least not hitting the bullseye enough. The oline is worse than it was when he got here somehow.

I'm starting look over Joe's shoulder at Mike. You scheme to talent, not the other way around when you first arrive 

Bruh it's WEEK 1! Its way too premature to say weather hes hit or missed. They played 7 rookies and 3 second year players, Most of which just got their first real nfl offseason given the restrictions, In a new scheme with first time play callers. Are there moves you can critique? Sure, Always thought you were one of the more level headed people on these forums. But clearly this place has gotten to you. 

2 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Bruh it's WEEK 1! Its way too premature to say weather hes hit or missed. They played 7 rookies and 3 second year players, Most of which just got their first real nfl offseason given the restrictions, In a new scheme with first time play callers. Are there moves you can critique? Sure, Always thought you were one of the more level headed people on these forums. But clearly this place has gotten to you. 

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm mostly just asking for people's thoughts about the topic "are we really doing ok"... Seeing how dysfunctional the offense was week 1 was definitely concerning. And lots of posts in here are reminding me that it's early. Yes... agree.  I'm getting pulled into too many black/white posts though... 

imo one of the things that people tend to forget about douglas is that he had gase for the first two years of his tenure and a single draft.  gase essentially set the team back at least a season because last season was just so bad.  i don't think he felt, when hired, that gase was a terrible coach but knew full well about the players.  i think he probably also felt that darnold could be a cornerstone of the team.  it didn't work out and so now we have saleh at hc with his own staff.

give it time.  what else should people expect with a new coach and staff, rookie qb, young players all around and a new system?

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo one of the things that people tend to forget about douglas is that he had gase for the first two years of his tenure and a single draft.  gase essentially set the team back at least a season because last season was just so bad.  i don't think he felt, when hired, that gase was a terrible coach but knew full well about the players.  i think he probably also felt that darnold could be a cornerstone of the team.  it didn't work out and so now we have saleh at hc with his own staff.

give it time.  what else should people expect with a new coach and staff, rookie qb, young players all around and a new system?

i was thinking this about the 2020 draft. 

i believe we were in Covid restrictions by then. i think all the pre draft events were canceled. or the GMs had to watch from the stands. i remember how JD said that this year he was happy to get on the field net to the players. he had to watch them up close. 

i remember especially for Wilson. we didnt decide on Wilson and trade Sam till late because Wilsons Pro day was late in March and JD even though he watched all the tape he had to stand next to him and watch his throws from up close.

maybe thats why the 2020 draft class has so many busts. i am giving them this season but  Zuniga, Clark, Morgan are busts. the others could change that.

we will see by December, but we might look back 5 years from now and look at 2020 and compare it to the rest of JDs drafts and give him a Mulligan for it.

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

agree.  the blocking scheme they are using is not a good fit for the talent, or lack of talent that they have for the line, especially "big ticket" once he gets back

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

You think?  I don't.  Your (and my) complaining is literally screaming at the void, sound and fury, accomplishing piss all.  Surely you know that, right?

Not in any way saying not to complain if you want to complain, but I truly hope you don't think it actually does something tangible.

Its not the specific reason I do it nor is it my purpose in doing it. That being said, planting a seed of thought in a person's head always has the ability to bear fruit down the road. 

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The consistent defense by fewer and fewer of the 2020 draft is making folks sound like Baghdad bob. 5 years now??? 

Even JD has cut/essentially eliminated via roster moves his own picks. 

If you can’t admit 2020 draft didn’t work out well we aren’t even talking reality. 

wow - didn't know that you were in charge of reality - good to know.

Yes, you can't just lean on that talk after 3-5 years, but the next year - with no OTAs - i already said that I didn't like the Morgan pick - but to call Becton a bust after a year and 1 game with only one full OTA and training camp; Mims who half the fans call a bum but the other half wants to fire the coaches for not playing him enough - Hall and Mann - but sure he is the worst drafter in jets history for missing on a few players - also without normal pre-draft combines and his first draft I am willing to give him a pass even if rest of picks are gone next week - but i guess i am living in a less knee-jerk multiverse.