Why Jets barely played Denzel Mims in Week 1 surprise

joewilly12

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I find the logic a bit odd on this. 

"hey you're having some trouble with the playbook, so we're not gonna have you be a starter"

"As a guy coming off the bench you theoretically now need to know more positions than the starters know"

It sounds nice that he should be able to start at all three positions. But given his obvious natural talent why not let him play one spot and learn that well. Truth is outside of Corey Davis he offers something no other wide receiver on our team does with regard to size/speed mismatch potential. And it's not like Stephen Hill, dude can catch and fundamentally play the position. 

Sounded to me like he only knows one position and can really only sub for that spot. He finally got in the game when we had longer drives but we barely had any. 

I get it and it sucks cause Mims is good but we had no one in front of him last year. This year there's more competition so he needs to do something he hasn't been doing. I'd be really disappointed if he's deactivated this week because he does deserve to get on the field. 

Just now, Drums said:

Sounded to me like he only knows one position and can really only sub for that spot. He finally got in the game when we had longer drives but we barely had any. 

I get it and it sucks cause Mims is good but we had no one in front of him last year. This year there's more competition so he needs to do something he hasn't been doing. I'd be really disappointed if he's deactivated this week because he does deserve to get on the field. 

Saleh all but said that he’s going to be inactive this week.  Pressure is on this offense now.  The OL sucked.  The running game sucked.  Moore sucked.  If they play Cole and crowder over mims and they still can’t score, it will be even worse to hear the excuses why mims can’t play.

Just now, Drums said:

Agree and maybe I'm misunderstanding Saleh here. But if berrios only has to learn the slot while the more talented mims is off the field because he only knows the Y spot it just seems like the system they use to teach is foolish. Let's even say Moore is better than Mims at the only spot Mims knows. But Moore can easily fit in the slot. It becomes about whether Moore is better than berrios when you consider total talent on the field. The only thing I can think is that Corey Davis and Mims can both only play one spot. At which point I look at JD with regard to resource management. He might just as well turn around give me the finger and say "depth you twat" lol. With Mims and Davis not having a clean history he might have been hedging to make sure Wilson never got the darnold dudes off the trash heap treatment at WR from last year. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TheMo said:

"hey you're having some trouble with the playbook, so we're not gonna have you be a starter"

"As a guy coming off the bench you theoretically now need to know more positions than the starters know"

It sounds nice that he should be able to start at all three positions. But given his obvious natural talent why not let him play one spot and learn that well. Truth is outside of Corey Davis he offers something no other wide receiver on our team does with regard to size/speed mismatch potential. And it's not like Stephen Hill, dude can catch and fundamentally play the position. 

100%, my first thoughts as well, do Berrios and Wilson know how to play every position?  And it also somewhat concerning because it sounds like they're not willing to adapt to the strength of their players.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

So, the fans are upset that the coach held him accountable to being ready to do his entire job?

Feels like irony, based on the themes fans usually complain about. 

I'm upset because I think Mims would be a better option on the outside than Tyler Kroft.  

If you're asking Mims to learn three spots and he's a little slow on the uptake it doesn't mean you can't make an effort to get him on the field at some point in a limited role as a guy who is physically gifted and can create mismatches.

Now if it's an effort thing and he's just not putting in the work, you dump him this doesn't light a fire under him.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh all but said that he’s going to be inactive this week.  Pressure is on this offense now.  The OL sucked.  The running game sucked.  Moore sucked.  If they play Cole and crowder over mims and they still can’t score, it will be even worse to hear the excuses why mims can’t play.

If he gets deactivated, that's bullsh*t 

• Upvote 1

Part of coaching is finding ways to reach out to your players: the kid is obviously talented, if he’s willing to learn but has a difficulty, that’s on the coaches. If he’s just lazy and won’t, that’s on him. You can’t have him in the wrong places for a young QB, but it’s hard to believe that can’t find a way to get this kid on the field. 

• Upvote 1

I'm amazed how many people are taking the position stuff at face value.

The Jets aren't upset that Mims can't play every position so much as they don't feel he's putting in the effort in to do as much. They don't want to give him a spot that they could to a player giving everything. I mean I've been lower on Mims than most but there's no f*cking way in the world you don't figure a way out to get him on the field before Jeff Smith unless there's issues elsewhere. 

This is clearly a thinly veiled shot at a player they're not happy with.

Could have had Claypool. Laugh until cry. 

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

The problem is that the position he’s best at is the position Corey Davis plays.  So the coaching staff has decide whether playing Corey Davis out of position in order to Mims on the field is better than playing Mims out of position.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The problem is that the position he’s best at is the position Corey Davis plays.  So the coaching staff has decide whether playing Corey Davis out of position in order to Mims on the field is better than playing Mims out of position.

I ended up walking myself to that conclusion as I talked it through with you all. Not my brightest moment lol. But yea I am thinking that's the issue. But then I also have to ask why JD isn't planning this better. I do wonder though why he can't play opposite Corey Davis. I always thought the two outside spots were for the stereotypical boldin/Fitzgerald types. But that is something I can't claim to feel very knowledgeable about so maybe you or someone else can elucidate that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'm upset because I think Mims would be a better option on the outside than Tyler Kroft.  

If you're asking Mims to learn three spots and he's a little slow on the uptake it doesn't mean you can't make an effort to get him on the field at some point in a limited role as a guy who is physically gifted and can create mismatches.

Now if it's an effort thing and he's just not putting in the work, you dump him this doesn't light a fire under him.

I suspect the coaches have better reasons for him not getting play, based on what they see daily, than all the fun hypothetical reasons that fans imagine are being used to screw him.

The overall point being many of the same folks here who believe in hard work, earning it, etc. love to contradict those edicts when reality conflicts with their delusions about players.

Mins will have his time when he earns it. I trust the coaches.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

I suspect the coaches have better reasons for him not getting play, based on what they see daily, than all the fun hypothetical reasons that fans imagine are being used to screw him.

The overall point being many of the same folks here who believe in hard work, earning it, etc. love to contradict those edicts when reality conflicts with their delusions about players.

Mins will have his time when he earns it. I trust the coaches.

The coach gave that as a reason for him not playing.  But sure...hypothetical.

10 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

I think you’re misreading my post.

There have been threads here by fans going back weeks making up reasons why he’s not getting play - I’m referencing that.

Oh, well I wasn't addressing those posts on what I said.  I was talking about the coach saying he's not playing because he doesn't know the play book for every receiver spot on the field.

They could always give him a package of plays to get him out there while he learns the other 2,000 plays or so.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Oh, well I wasn't addressing those posts on what I said.  I was talking about the coach saying he's not playing because he doesn't know the play book for every receiver spot on the field.

They could always give him a package of plays to get him out there while he learns the other 2,000 plays or so.

They could.

Who is to say they haven’t tried that? 

They are NFL coaches. I have to believe they’ve considered most if not all of the things fans have - and yet, he’s still not making progress.

Maybe he’s just going to take more time.

In the meantime… they could get this OL to give our QB the time to deliver the ball to the WRs who are starting.

1 minute ago, Turd Ferguson said:

They could.

Who is to say they haven’t tried that? 

They are NFL coaches. I have to believe they’ve considered most if not all of the things fans have - and yet, he’s still not making progress.

Maybe he’s just going to take more time.

In the meantime… they could get this OL to give our QB the time to deliver the ball to the WRs who are starting.

And sometimes coaches, even at the pro level, get it wrong.  They may think the team is better off with Tyler Kroft or Jeff Smith split out wide.  In time I think we'll see that is incorrect.  

5 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

So, the fans are upset that the coach held him accountable to being ready to do his entire job?

Feels like irony, based on the themes fans usually complain about. 

Yea, i remember when CIN held out AJ Green for not knowing the slot. Or Rondale Moore currently for not having his X/Z down perfectly. Or when DET gave Calvin Johnson one look at WR6 b/c he didn't know all the nuances of the inside/slot route tree.

Mike Lafleur can blow me.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

And sometimes coaches, even at the pro level, get it wrong.  They may think the team is better off with Tyler Kroft or Jeff Smith split out wide.  In time I think we'll see that is incorrect.  

Well, given time, I’d expect Mims to learn his job. If at that time he produces, it’ll be because he learned his job. He’s obviously a better athlete than those guys. 

Shanahan Jr held back Aiyuk and Trey Sermon for similar reasons. Bill Belichik had built his entire culture around these principles.

In a sense, both things can be true. Mims is definitely the ‘better’ option for us, but only if he knows his assignment. Not knowing your assignment hurts the tram - and being held to a standard of not hurting the team is a good thing.

Hopefully, Mims is just learning slow and he’ll carve out a role soon. In the meantime, I don’t want a head coach that abandons his principles after 1 game.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yea, i remember when CIN held out AJ Green for not knowing the slot. Or Rondale Moore currently for not having his X/Z down perfectly. Or when DET gave Calvin Johnson one look at WR6 b/c he didn't know all the nuances of the inside/slot route tree.

Mike Lafleur can blow me.

apples, oranges and … bananas