What "adjustments at the half" actually look like per the Manning brothers

JustInFudge

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night and chose the Manning's broadcast over the regular one but I thought it was quite enjoyable.  It gave a very unique perspective and it was like sitting with a bunch of HOF'ers talking shop while a game was on.  There were times it would fizzle out and get a little lame but loved the break down of plays, what a QB is looking at pre-snap, what they saw from an eyes perspective, looking off defenders flash backs on games and situations, lots of making fun of each other, etc.   Just really cool look into how a HOF watches a game.

That said, at one point during the broadcast, the Manning talked about the ever so important, "half time adjustments".  Peyton basically laughed at the notion that the coaches had some epiphany at the half and roll out a whole 2nd half game plan.  He basically said, by the time you get to the locker, go the training room, go to the locker, use the bathroom and then finally find the coaching staff, there is 2 minutes left in the half and all you get from the coaching staff is, "You're playing great, here is 2 plays I want to run, now get out there and warm up"! and that was the extent of a typical "half time adjustment" and basically Eli agreed and laughed at the idea that there was any type of real coaching going on during half time.

I found this to be a very interesting conversation considering that one of JN's favorite topics (week 1 for example) is how the coaches adjust at half time.  

Well I’d guess halftime adjustments are a coach thing like changing up play calls that are not something new just ones you need to use that you may not have game planned to use IE we want you to run these 2 plays.  Maybe adjustment is wrong word maybe something like tweak instead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Always disliked Eli but I ended up watching the broadcast and it was great, especially when Ray Lewis phoned in. Manning would predict what the defense would do as they lined up. 

The Ray stuff was great.  I loved him talking about they used to free lance their blitzing schemes.  Keys based on formation and motion, that way the QB never knew who was coming.   I also loved the flash back on the first time Manning played the Ravens and he called Ray out as the "mike" and Ray was like "i'm not the mike, he is" and Peyton was like "yep, he's right,  58 is the mike"  lmfao

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Barkus said:

I look at halftime adjustments more as  how coaches are changing calling the plays.  For example, seeing what worked and didn’t work and adjusting the calls. 

44 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well I’d guess halftime adjustments are a coach thing like changing up play calls that are not something new just ones you need to use that you may not have game planned to use IE we want you to run these 2 plays.  Maybe adjustment is wrong word maybe something like tweak instead.

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It makes sense. It also implies that “halftime adjustments” are actually being made on the fly during the game, which is even more impressive and explains why so many coaches aren’t capable of doing it

My biggest takeaway from the conversation is it seems much more fluid then sitting there waiting for half time to have a sit down meeting about what they want to do in the 2nd half. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

My biggest takeaway from the conversation is it seems much more fluid then sitting there waiting for half time to have a sit down meeting about what they want to do in the 2nd half. 

Basically. There’s no Plan B they’re going to. Maybe hey, let me try blitzing more or doing some more quick throws. But there’s never gonna be anything major. 

Kinda bummed we won’t see them commentating on a Jets game this year since we don’t play Monday night. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Not sure how many of you watched the game last night and chose the Manning's broadcast over the regular one but I thought it was quite enjoyable.  It gave a very unique perspective and it was like sitting with a bunch of HOF'ers talking shop while a game was on.  There were times it would fizzle out and get a little lame but loved the break down of plays, what a QB is looking at pre-snap, what they saw from an eyes perspective, looking off defenders flash backs on games and situations, lots of making fun of each other, etc.   Just really cool look into how a HOF watches a game.

That said, at one point during the broadcast, the Manning talked about the ever so important, "half time adjustments".  Peyton basically laughed at the notion that the coaches had some epiphany at the half and roll out a whole 2nd half game plan.  He basically said, by the time you get to the locker, go the training room, go to the locker, use the bathroom and then finally find the coaching staff, there is 2 minutes left in the half and all you get from the coaching staff is, "You're playing great, here is 2 plays I want to run, now get out there and warm up"! and that was the extent of a typical "half time adjustment" and basically Eli agreed and laughed at the idea that there was any type of real coaching going on during half time.

I found this to be a very interesting conversation considering that one of JN's favorite topics (week 1 for example) is how the coaches adjust at half time.  

That's because halftime adjustments are to the plays called by the coaches, not in what they're coaching the players to do. It's not going up to players at halftime and saying "adjust your technique on reach blocks" - it's calling plays that address and take advantage of what the opponent is doing on the field that is perhaps different from what you prepared for, and getting away from calls you thought would work but haven't

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

what network was this on?

ESPN 2...It was good!  As someone else stated I always think the adjustments at halftime are primarily the coaches getting together and discussing changes to the game plan.  

Over the next three seasons, Peyton and Eli Manning will host an alternate broadcast of Monday Night Football titled “Monday Night Football with Peyton and Eli,” which will air on ESPN2 and ESPN+. The brothers will broadcast 10 games in each of those years for a total of 30. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/peyton-eli-manning-monday-night-football-megacast/161u4s8vxsd6o16ws83xzhgezo

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

That's because halftime adjustments are to the plays called by the coaches, not in what they're coaching the players to do. It's not going up to players at halftime and saying "adjust your technique on reach blocks" - it's calling plays that address and take advantage of what the opponent is doing on the field that is perhaps different from what you prepared for, and getting away from calls you thought would work but haven't

Right, but the point is simply that there isnt some meeting of the minds that happens at the half.  Those adjustments are immediate and happen more fluid based on necessity throughout the game.   You hear it all the time "the coaches really made some adjustments at the half" so I think the fan assumption is that there is the strategy meeting and half time speech that gets the team right.  So it was just interesting to hear they basically dont interact at half time, the adjustments really happen on the sidelines where they're spending more time with position coaches.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Right, but the point is simply that there isnt some meeting of the minds that happens at the half.  Those adjustments are immediate and happen more fluid based on necessity throughout the game.   You hear it all the time "the coaches really made some adjustments at the half" so I think the fan assumption is that there is the strategy meeting and half time speech that gets the team right.  So it was just interesting to hear they basically dont interact at half time, the adjustments really happen on the sidelines where they're spending more time with position coaches.

Yet good coaches make adjustments at the half and even during games that help their teams.  Bad coaches don’t.  

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet good coaches make adjustments at the half and even during games that help their teams.  Bad coaches don’t.  

Right, that's the point of the thread, the adjustments happen as soon as necessary and it's more fluid throughout the game rather then one big half time adjustment/meeting/hoorah/go get'em moment.  We've seen the stick to the game plan coaches with both and Bowles and Gase, extremely frustrating.  Here's hoping Saleh is different!

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I checked in a few minutes later and they had Charles Barkley as a guest.  What?  Why?   And am I the only one who doesn't find Eli & Peyton's opinions at all interesting/relevant?   

Every quarter they had a different guest.

Ray Lewis and Travis Kelce were both good.

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

sometimes there's a speech. we all heard a coach in a interview after the half say he told his team to keep there heads up or something.

but i definitely believe the coaches meet to discuss whats working and what changes they want to make. 

you didnt notice the change in our game?

we were running the ball so much for 2 yds i had to check to see if Frank Gore was still here. we started to become predicable. then in the 2nd half i saw more 1st and 2nd down passes. 

maybe Peyton and Eli were special but i found this from a old LA Times article.

A typical NFL halftime is 13 minutes. That’s enough time for, well, not a lot.

“You’ll use the bathroom,” former All-Pro center Matt Birk said. “Some guys will retape their hands. Some guys will grab a protein bar or orange slices or whatever. The coaches have a five-minute meeting on the fly, then come out and say, ‘OK guys, here’s what we like.’ It’s not like it’s specific, like, ‘Here’s the three plays that are going to win the game.’ But it’s like, ‘We like this formation. We like to run it out of this. Be alert for these calls.’ Then your head coach calls you up [in a team huddle] and you’re gone.”

so it does happen. 

i found this that i thought was interesting you guys might like...

Every football fan remembers Dennis Green coaching the Cardinals in 2006 screaming at the podium after a loss to the Bears: "They are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!"

Green's rant was an all-time classic and spawned memes and commercials. Seriously, it's tremendous, and now nearly 15 years later we learn that Washington Football Team head coach Ron Rivera played a major role in the finish. 

At the time Rivera was the Chicago defensive coordinator with the NFL's best defense going into a Week 6 showdown against Arizona on Monday Night Football. The Bears had a 5-0 record and were heavy favorites to win the game over the 1-4 Cardinals. 

Well, at halftime the score was 20-0 Arizona.

The Bears defense played lousy for the first 30 minutes, and at halftime, Rivera let them hear about it. 

"We were in Arizona; it was 2006 on Monday Night Football and we did not play really good football in the first half. Ron came in there and he let it be known," new Washington defensive backs coach Chris Harris said.

Harris played cornerback for that Bears team and said that halftime speech was when he knew without a doubt that Rivera would eventually become a head coach. 

"He told everyone to man up and said, 'I don't want to see anyone pointing any fingers. You turnaround and point that finger at yourself. You do your job. If you do your job, then we will win this football game.' And he came in and just laid it out there and he is a very blunt person and he is going to tell you exactly like it."

In the second half Chicago only allowed three more points and eventually the Bears offense put up enough points to win the game 24-23. That loss drove Green to his infamous postgame tirade, and it was Rivera's speech that put his defense into overdrive. 

So what exactly did he say?

"I don't know if I can speak any of it in mixed company. But it was intense. It was intense, it was very intentional and it was very blunt. He kind of told it like it is. He didn't sugarcoat anything. We weren't playing well defensively," Harris said. "He got his point across and guys came out and we played a really good second half of defensive football."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

so it does happen. 

i found this that i thought was interesting you guys might like...

Oh I know it happens, I'm not saying it never does, you here about these stories from time to time but it sounds like the majority of the time it's like Birk and the Mannings described.  Bathroom, snacks, trainers, lockerroom/unit meeting, HC talk, back out there.  And I'm just repeating what they said, not trying to tell anyone how it goes,  I dont know, I'm not there so I just found it interesting because I think the perception is this strategy meeting of the minds when it's more fluid then that and happens more so in real time, rather then a "half time adjustment". 

• Upvote 3

Interesting.  I always remember when BB was the Jets DC and they had like five or six second-half shutouts that season.

Brian Cox said he was amazed at how BB would rip up the entire week's game plan and come up with something fresh on the spot for the second half.