Steve Young: Zach Wilson is winning Rookie of the Year

Claymation

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

It was a simple yes or no question.

I was unaware that he got a concussion. I know a 300 lb landed on him and the referee failed to throw a flag. 

And then completed a pass to Davis immediately afterwards followed by a seed to Davis in the endzone. My QB.

The play his head bounced of the turf is as close as you can get without getting the protocol. Six sacks a game is what I saw, I also saw the O line suck the entire game and the young QB succeed in spite of them. Yet, if he keeps getting half a dozen sacks a game he won’t be our Quarterzack for long. Plus, we both know who we are facing this week. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Bart Scott brought up a good point. The coaching staff may be partly responsible for the line performing the way they did. There is a lot of horizontal movement in a zone blocking scheme - said they should mix it up with a more 'man' vertical blocking scheme which would be more natural and easier with the line having so little experience together.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

The way the kid played and handled himself was very impressive, other QB’ s we drafted would have folded. Just do whatever it takes to protect this kid, that’s my main  concern for this year. If we can protect this kid he will do well,  can’t see much progress if the kid has to keep running for his life. 

I don’t care if things aren’t exciting or him making big time throws until the protection is sorted out. There is no rush, seeing what appeared to be a halfway competent offense in preseason and then the first game of the season it was an unsettling reminder of years past as are QB was getting body slammed on the deck with the O-lines open door policy to sack Wilson.

The second half gave me some hope. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Bart Scott brought up a good point. The coaching staff may be partly responsible for the line performing the way they did. There is a lot of horizontal movement in a zone blocking scheme - said they should mix it up with a more 'man' vertical blocking scheme which would be more natural and easier with the line having so little experience together.

He also said that Zach could have avoided some of the pressure by stepping up in the pocket vs bailing to the side. Bart said that the protection was there and Zach needed to learn to trust it.

Part of why Saleh said that the OL wasn't 100% of the problem.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The play his head bounced of the turf is as close as you can get without getting the protocol. Six sacks a game is what I saw, I also saw the O line suck the entire game and the young QB succeed in spite of them. Yet, if he keeps getting half a dozen sacks a game he won’t be our Quarterzack for long. Plus, we both know who we are facing this week. 

I watched every snap from Wilson yesterday on the youtube.  Some of those sacks were on Zach and the protection was there for the most part.  It was something that plagued him in college and he got away it but he's got to get better at this in the NFL.  He needs to learn to trust the pocket.  He fades, big time.  He doesnt have a great presence in the pocket, slides the wrong ways often, doesnt really climb the pocket, throws with his feet off the ground a lot....all these things are going to lead to very dangerous hits and they're not all on the OL.   

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jethead said:

He also said that Zach could have avoided some of the pressure by stepping up in the pocket vs bailing to the side. Bart said that the protection was there and Zach needed to learn to trust it.

Interesting, I noticed the same thing when I watched the snap by snap.

• Upvote 1

Without a material improvement in support from the O-line (protection) and the Running Backs (a productive running game), it's hard to see Wilson doing well enough, long enough, and staying healthy enough, to win ORotY.

With that said, he has a good chance I think, if we support him a bit better.  I still liked what I saw from him, given the challenges, in week 1.  But the same could be said for most of the rookie QB's honestly.  Good time for your QB's in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Lawrence threw a lot, had some bad plays. Fields isn't really playing yet.

Jones was the most "polished" of the rookie QBs on Sunday but wasn't amazing.

Jones looked great but may have already hit his ceiling, Im guessing when he starts getting sacked a bit we may seem some chinks in the armor. 

He definitely has some things to work on in terms of climbing the pocket and knowing when he has time to actually set his feet.  Its good that they hired Cavanaugh to help him work on all of these things.  Hopefully we see some improvement next week in stepping up in the pocket more and delivering some strikes.  This whole offense is a work in progress. 

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I watched every snap from Wilson yesterday on the youtube.  Some of those sacks were on Zach and the protection was there for the most part.  It was something that plagued him in college and he got away it but he's got to get better at this in the NFL.  He needs to learn to trust the pocket.  He fades, big time.  He doesnt have a great presence in the pocket, slides the wrong ways often, doesnt really climb the pocket, throws with his feet off the ground a lot....all these things are going to lead to very dangerous hits and they're not all on the OL.   

I think this is probably true on many plays, but there were also times the OL just got beat. I'd give the OL the benefit of the doubt more if there wasn't so much penetration in the run game.

With regard to the run game -- It's hard to tell watching the TV broadcast if guys are just missing blocks or if it's more of a timing/coordination issue with the stretch zone blocking scheme. I'm hopeful they'll get better with time.

40 minutes ago, Jethead said:

This is why Saleh is going to be successful. No one gets thrown under the bus, unless everyone gets thrown under the bus. It's a team game and everyone needs to do better.

That said it was totally all on the O line. Could the coaches have done better? Sure they could have. But a good O line with leadership sees these problems (communications issues) before the game and helps the coaching staff solve them. Could Zach have done a better job calling protections? Yes, he's a rookie. But a good O line covers for the inexperience of their rookie QB. Make no mistake this is all on the O line. They self scout themselves poorly and they fail to recognize their own shortcomings. The coaching staff's only fault is not realizing McGovern and Van Roten are not starting quality NFL lineman and that the game plan needs to be molded to hide or minimize this weakness.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Absolutely, saw the same thing, he was certainly use to be tucked in safely at night at BYU. All comfy and shit! He has a lot  to learn and playing under pressure is at the top of the list, we knew that going in. It would be easier to trust the pocket if he had a slightly competent O line who had half a clue of their assignments , he certainly contributed to his sack total but nobody did him Any favors. 

Rookie QB in his first game. No running game therefore no play action. No running game therefore drop as many people back as you like. Kid got better as the game went on so at least we know he has the ability to learn. From what I’m told the line also got better as game on, so maybe they will all progress together?

Be nice too if the damn recovers could catch the ball as well. I’m my opinion the line and the receivers didn’t give him any reasons to have trust  in a God damn thing yesterday. Hopefully that approves next week. Haha Boo bitches! 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There was a stretch where his fundamentals went haywire and he wasn't setting his feet. He's got to learn when to give up and throw the ball away. It's great that he can make explosive plays out of limited opportunities, but defenses are going to keep the pressure on him until the Jets show they can punish it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I thought the line played better in the 2nd half, you believe otherwise. I expect steady improvement throughout the season, not only the OL but the protection in general. We are facing a team that is a shell of its former self. This isn't a TB led team anymore. Are they better than the Jets, probably. But this is no longer the juggernaught of seasons past.