Steve Young: Zach Wilson is winning Rookie of the Year

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If the OL continues to be this bad, one has to think/hope the coach staff adjusts - bring in TE who can give extra blocking (blocking TE can be found on practice squads this time of year) and play from the shotgun more. 

I honestly believe they’ll get better up front. Almost have to, because it can’t get much worse.

Could use a vet RB also that can pass block. We need all the guys between Zack and the pass rush as possible.

Just now, Claymation said:

I thought the line played better in the 2nd half, you believe otherwise. I expect steady improvement throughout the season, not only the OL but the protection in general. We are facing a team that is a shell of its former self. This isn't a TB led team anymore. Are they better than us, probably. But tis no longer a juggernaught of seasons past.

I’m cool with that. I also believe they will get better as they learn the system. Patriots we’re never the Patriots because of Brady. Patriots are the Patriots because Kraft owns Goodell. Brady was just a very lucky break. Mac Jones is the New Brady, he will get the exact treatment Brady did. Plus, that defense is legit and Belicheck destroys young QBs, it’s ok though, we will get there. 

• Upvote 3
57 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

There was a stretch where his fundamentals went haywire and he wasn't setting his feet. He's got to learn when to give up and throw the ball away. It's great that he can make explosive plays out of limited opportunities, but defenses are going to keep the pressure on him until the Jets show they can punish it.

He has to learn to settle for easy passes. At BYU, part of the reason he was successful was because he could hang in the pocket forever and chuck it downfield to his WRs. That's not going to work all the time in the NFL. You obviously want him to take deep shots, but he has to be more judicious about it. I think it was also why he was late on some throws on Sunday as he was waiting for something big to develop downfield. 

• Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If hes not getting drilled and whiplash because our O line cant stop a nose bleed....yes then he will be amazing

Zack Wilson early favorite to win CBPOTY in 2022?

• Haha 1

Wilson looked good to me and he needs the reps this season, but I don't want to see him on the field again until this line is fixed. Even if he manages to stay healthy, that kind of rush can only create bad habits and shake confidence. This is why I was pounding the table for a real center and maybe another guard.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I watched every snap from Wilson yesterday on the youtube.  Some of those sacks were on Zach and the protection was there for the most part.  It was something that plagued him in college and he got away it but he's got to get better at this in the NFL.  He needs to learn to trust the pocket.  He fades, big time.  He doesnt have a great presence in the pocket, slides the wrong ways often, doesnt really climb the pocket, throws with his feet off the ground a lot....all these things are going to lead to very dangerous hits and they're not all on the OL.   

Say what you want. The OL sucked. Did Zach cause them to not block well in the running game?

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

He also said that Zach could have avoided some of the pressure by stepping up in the pocket vs bailing to the side. Bart said that the protection was there and Zach needed to learn to trust it.

Part of why Saleh said that the OL wasn't 100% of the problem.

If that's the case Mr. Steve Young, then get on the damm phone with your BYU boy and help him out. I'm sure you're better at it than Matt Cavanaugh...

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, KO91 said:

Maybe if he stays healthy. Not feeling too good about it thought based on the beating he took in week 1. 

Someone calculated he'd get sacked over 100 times this season based on the first game stats. WRONG. This keeps up, he wont make through mid-season. 

2 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Say what you want. The OL sucked. Did Zach cause them to not block well in the running game?

The OL did suck, I didnt say otherwise.  I simply said it was probably a little better then we think because of the rookie QB and that a few of the sacks/pressure, were on Zach.  He needs to trust the pocket more.  This was an issue in college and it showed up Sunday.  It's fixable, not to concerned but I simply pointed out an observation.  He fades and tends to hold the ball to long, yes, those impact the OL's ability to hold the pocket. So therefore in turn, Zach being an uncomfortable rookie QB in his first game, absolutely impacted the running game.  

My expectations is that it all improves as the season goes on.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Claymation said:

Most positive news we have had.  JETS aren't known for surrounding their talent with more talent, so I  will wait in anticipation. 

BUT... Zach was the best thing on Sunday and we haven't said that in a long time.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Most positive news we have had.  JETS aren't known for surrounding their talent with more talent, so I  will wait in anticipation. 

BUT... Zach was the best thing on Sunday and we haven't said that in a long time.

Zach was legit on Sunday, and so was Davis. Everyone else...well...not so much.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Zach was legit on Sunday, and so was Davis. Everyone else...well...not so much.

That pass to Moore in 1st half was ridiculous. Dropped but should have been PI.  WTF are these refs watching? The DB clearly stuck his hand into Moore’s BEFORE the ball arrived. It obviously screwed up Moore’s concentration. He should have caught it but it should have been a penalty. Definitely, IMO, changed the whole tempo of the game. 

10 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I watched every snap from Wilson yesterday on the youtube.  Some of those sacks were on Zach and the protection was there for the most part.  It was something that plagued him in college and he got away it but he's got to get better at this in the NFL.  He needs to learn to trust the pocket.  He fades, big time.  He doesnt have a great presence in the pocket, slides the wrong ways often, doesnt really climb the pocket, throws with his feet off the ground a lot....all these things are going to lead to very dangerous hits and they're not all on the OL.   

All fair criticisms.  The "fades" looks like his idea to extend plays and produce positive yardage.  Obviously has a lot to learn cause this team is incredibly young but the dude never quit trying to lift this team to victory.  I think we got lucky in the draft.

27 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

The possible concussion and his play afterward is what convinces me that Zach Wilson is the real deal.

That last touchdown was next level anal probed  by alien type shit. 

• Post of the Week 1
12 hours ago, KO91 said:

Maybe if he stays healthy. Not feeling too good about it thought based on the beating he took in week 1. 

Exactly. It all boils down to the OL doing their job.

15 hours ago, Claymation said:

I thought the line played better in the 2nd half, you believe otherwise. I expect steady improvement throughout the season, not only the OL but the protection in general. We are facing a team that is a shell of its former self. This isn't a TB led team anymore. Are they better than the Jets, probably. But this is no longer the juggernaught of seasons past.

They certainly did not get any early returns on the offseason spending spree