Jump to content

Free agency isn’t all bad


Integrity28

Recommended Posts

that's all well and good but you do need to realize that many of those same players weren't going to play for the jets no matter what they offered.  the thing about free agency is it allows the players to pick and choose the team he wants to play on.  obviously some will only go for the money but some also want the right coaches or geographical location and so on.  so just how many of those top free agents could the jets reasonably land?  maybe 2 or 3?  that means they still need to build through the draft or udfa's.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not just free agency.  It's trades.  We would have to trade for Chandler Jones, Ngakoue or Trent Williams.   There are times when it makes sense to do that, but I don't think we are quite close enough yet.  For the time being, I believe we should be trying to find bargains and remain flexible so when something pops up (like Morgan Moses) we can jump on it.  For truly good players, sometimes a bargain will still be costly, but care should be taken.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that's all well and good but you do need to realize that many of those same players weren't going to play for the jets no matter what they offered.  the thing about free agency is it allows the players to pick and choose the team he wants to play on.  obviously some will only go for the money but some also want the right coaches or geographical location and so on.  so just how many of those top free agents could the jets reasonably land?  maybe 2 or 3?  that means they still need to build through the draft or udfa's.

Logan Ryan signed with the Giants.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not just free agency.  It's trades.  We would have to trade for Chandler Jones, Ngakoue or Trent Williams.   There are times when it makes sense to do that, but I don't think we are quite close enough yet.  For the time being, I believe we should be trying to find bargains and remain flexible so when something pops up (like Morgan Moses) we can jump on it.  For truly good players, sometimes a bargain will still be costly, but care should be taken.

Yes, all sensible. I’m not advocating all or nothing… which is basically where we are… all draft, no real spending.

Forever we rebuild.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, all sensible. I’m not advocating all or nothing… which is basically where we are… all draft, no real spending.

Forever we rebuild.

My favorite argument is “we are not good enough yet to improve our team.” That isn’t even circular logic. It’s Möbius strip logic.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually liked the approach to free agency this past offseason.

WR and Pass Rusher were two of the biggest needs on the team, and Joe Douglas signed a top 5 free agent option at both positions.  Would I have liked to see a top end free agent at OL?  Absolutely, but it's never going to go exactly how you want it.  The rest of the free agent class was a high volume of second and third tier players which I fully expected given the state of the roster and the need to almost completely turn it over.

The biggest issue is all of the injuries to the free agents: Lawson, Davis, Curry, Joyner, Cole.  Is this Joe Douglas' fault?  Perhaps partially.  Lawson, for example, has an extensive history of major injuries.

You can build through the draft; you just have to draft the right players.  You can build through free agency; you just have to sign the right players.  As with most things in life, it's a balance.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I actually liked the approach to free agency this past offseason.

WR and Pass Rusher were two of the biggest needs on the team, and Joe Douglas signed a top 5 free agent option at both positions.  Would I have liked to see a top end free agent at OL?  Absolutely.  The rest of the free agent class were second and third tier players which I fully expected given the state of the roster and the need to almost completely turn it over.

The biggest issue is all of the injuries: Lawson, Davis, Curry, Joyner, Cole.  Is this Joe Douglas' fault?  Perhaps partially.  Lawson, for example, has an extensive history of major injuries.

You can build through the draft.  You just have to draft the right players.  You can build through free agency.  You just have to sign the right players.  As with most things in life, it's a balance.

Yeah, there’s a lot of complaining about people who say we should never sign any free agents, but the corollary is “the Jets should have signed more free agents! [is provided with a long list of free agents the Jets signed] uhhh I meant different ones!”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...