For Those Deeply Unhappy After Week 1

Warfish

I have a question (or two or two or three):

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1. no prediction.  the first game of a season is really just another preseason game.  i thought they'd win but that's as far as it goes.

2. the oline letting so much pressure get through to wilson.  6 sacks means he could be having a pretty short season.

3. it's going to take more reps by the oline to get them straightened out.  first game with 4/5ths of the line new or in a new system and some bad play can be expected.  i think they'll get it turned around.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

if there's was a chance that you'd have a conversation that didn't look like pure conjecture, i might engage. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 - I thought we stood a good chance of winning.  Didn't expect to but wouldn't have been surprised.  We were slaughtered.  The Panthers shut it down in the second half.  What looked like progress in the 3rd and 4th quarters, wasn't.

2 - Lack of preparation and, worse, a core strategy that seemingly puts square pegs in round holes instead of adapting the gameplan to the players we have.  OL, the obvious one.  WR, another.  If Saleh and LaFleur weren't smart enough to see that we weren't prepared to play a real NFL game and put that turd out there, that's extremely concerning and if they treated a real game as if it were a preseason game, how dare they be so cavalier.

3 - If the OL can't handle the Shanahan lateral movement, if we have awful pass protection, if we have awful run production, then get off it and go to something more traditional until such time as they are comfortable with it and competent enough to protect the quarterback and develop a rushing attack.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1 - I thought we stood a good chance of winning.  Didn't expect to but wouldn't have been surprised.  We were slaughtered.  The Panthers shut it down in the second half.  What looked like progress in the 3rd and 4th quarters, wasn't.

2 - Lack of preparation and, worse, a core strategy that seemingly puts square pegs in round holes instead of adapting the gameplan to the players we have.  OL, the obvious one.  WR, another.  If Saleh and LaFleur weren't smart enough to see that we weren't prepared to play a real NFL game and put that turd out there, that's extremely concerning and if they treated a real game as if it were a preseason game, how dare they be so cavalier.

3 - If the OL can't handle the Shanahan lateral movement, if we have awful pass protection, if we have awful run production, then get off it and go to something more traditional until such time as they are comfortable with it and competent enough to protect the quarterback and develop a rushing attack.

SAR I

I thought the 4th and 1 play epitomized what you wrote.  We all knew the jets were running that play and all the panthers knew it too.  The play had zero chance.  The obvious call was to fake the handoff and have wilson roll out and give him the option to run or throw.  The stubbornness and myopia of the coaching staff to adhere to their roots in the 49ers style offense was on full display there.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thanks in advance.

None of these questions are relevant or would change anything it starts with the ownership, until that changes nothing else will.

I thought we had a chance, thought it would be a one score game maybe in the 20s So not too far off.

This is the big one for me, I expected us to look like a competitive NFL team (even lower tier), but instead we looked like an overmatched JV/ Minor league team. Other bottom tier teams can at least compete physically and score points - they lose for other reasons. We just looked like we didn't belong in the NFL during the first half. Wilson/ David were the lone bright spots, and I think he's the real deal. Non of this should surprise, considering much or our starting lineup would be 3rd/4th stringers on other teams.

I don't know what should be done going forward. But for starters we shouldn't have cut Bless, and we should have signed/ traded for more established players along the o-line and LBer group in particular. You can't help injuries I guess but our depth has been tested/ exposed early on. I also would not have traded up for AVT, I still hope he proves to be a beast, but we had too many holes to give up that much draft capitol, and our depth is horrid. Combine that with staying put for Elijah Moore (who was and is a luxury on a team like ours - even though I really like the player - when we couldn't traded down and added someone like JOK + more picks for depth) I think overall JD and Selah think they're above the fray and getting too cute with the youth movement, to the point where it may hinder ZW more than they accounted for in their veteran to rookie calculus.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

I thought we had a chance, thought it would be a one score game maybe in the 20s So not too far off.

This is the big one for me, I expected us to look like a competitive NFL team (even lower tier), but instead we looked like an overmatched JV/ Minor league team. Other bottom tier teams can at least compete physically and score points - they lose for other reasons. We just looked like we didn't belong in the NFL during the first half. Wilson/ David were the lone bright spots, and I think he's the real deal. Non of this should surprise, considering much or our starting lineup would be 3rd/4th stringers on other teams.

I don't know what should be done going forward. But for starters we shouldn't have cut Bless, and we should have signed/ traded for more established players along the o-line and LBer group in particular. You can't help injuries I guess but our depth has been tested/ exposed early on. I also would not have traded up for AVT, I still hope he proves to be a beast, but we had too many holes to give up that much draft capitol, and our depth is horrid. Combine that with staying put for Elijah Moore (who was and is a luxury on a team like ours - even though I really like the player - when we couldn't traded down and added someone like JOK + more picks for depth) I think overall JD and Selah think they're above the fray and getting too cute with the youth movement, to the point where it may hinder ZW more than they accounted for in their veteran to rookie calculus.

Overmatched is a good description and it usually applies to the offense.  

• Upvote 1

1# It was a winnable game, didn't wanna say i execpted the Jets to win because they have been so bad for so many years but it was a winnable game for sure. We're starting two day 3 coverted safetys at linebacker its not going to go well.

2# Offensive line, again and again we roll out there with mfers who can't pickup simple stunts. While I didn't expected us to be the #1 offensive line in the NFL to come out and get demolished like that is infuriating.

3# The suggestion is really simple JD has to take his head of his ass and go look for good Offensive lineman. He has to stop being a cheap f and go after the big boys in free agency. Heck even via trade, Rodney Houston was available and he didn't even show interrest. It doesn't matter if you have 20 picks or 120m in cap if you don't know how to use them

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I thought the 4th and 1 play epitomized what you wrote.  We all knew the jets were running that play and all the panthers knew it too.  The play had zero chance.  The obvious call was to fake the handoff and have wilson roll out and give him the option to run or throw.  The stubbornness and myopia of the coaching staff to adhere to their roots in the 49ers style offense was on full display there.

HB dive on 4th and 1 is the worst play call in football.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Reasons why I am unhappy about game one.

- Oline was dreadful and will get the new QB killed or ruined.  That is bar FAR the biggest issue. 

- Dropped passes.  zero excuse for pro receivers to drop as many passes as the jets do.

- Our mr wonderful duo of Mosley and Quinnen did nothing and let the other teams star dominate the game.

There were things to like about game one but also things to be truly upset about.

As if often the case, you and I pretty much agree.

My own answers:

1. I predicted/expected a loss.  Too much "new", new O, new D, new QB, new system.  It was gonna take time to gel.  It was a "winnable" game, but not a likely win in my eyes.

2. O-line was dreadful, I agree, by far and wide the biggest and most material concern.  It's weakness hurt the run game, and as noted, put our Franchise QB Investment as serious risk.  

The lack of umph by the few supposed playmakers on D, Mosely and QW first amongst them, was disappointing.  With that said, Carolina's entire O was basically the future HOF'er McCaffrey.  He beats alot of teams, better than ours, so I can somewhat forgive that sin overall.  I don't feel Sam had a great day or was particularly impressive against us, when he really should have been tbh.

3. What I would do or call for right now:  Nothing.  I am content to give our new Coaches some leeway after only one week, to do what they think they need to.  I'm as doubter and cynical as they come, but even I think new people and players deserve some amount of sort-out-the-kinks time.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't think I'd call myself "deeply unhappy" as much as "really disappointed" but... 

I thought it would be a close game and that we'd have a legit shot to win. You could argue that technically happened, but in reality this was a fairly one sided game where Carolina's inability to capitalize let us hang around and crawl back in.  I thought we would score 24 points. I thought our offense would look competent.

First half offensive ineptitude, in particular the inability of the offensive line to do anything.

I'm not sure there's anything to do in the short term (i.e. intraseason)

I think it's important to stick with Douglas, Saleh and LaFleur and invest in what they're trying to do. Not only do I think they have enough pedigree to give them a real chance to create change with a team that has been poor for a decade, I think a lack of continuity is a problem and clearly the Johnson's track record does not inspire confidence any new hires would be better.

We prioritized offense in the draft. We need to keep doing that until we have the pieces we need to compete at a high level. Offense drives success in today's NFL and we should relentlessly, aggressively look to solve for that.

The best thing we have going for us is that I generally feel good about Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson. Sunday proved we have further to go than I was hoping.

• Upvote 2

The 2 dropped passes by Moore early that could have stabalized the O in the first half.  

The OL looked like an uncoached fire drill.

Seemed like they didn't have a defensive game plan to deal with McCaffrey.

Q having zero impact getting pressure up the middle.  

Our running backs are trash.

Thought the secondary was okay.  Thought the DL was okay.  Thought Zach showed toughness, athletic ability and a great arm.

Hard to say what the adjustments were because in truth Carolina wasn't really threatened and that impacts how they play.  It did look like our D settled down in the second half.

On the positive side we got a great punter without wasting a draft pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Wasn’t concerned about a win or loss, wanted to see how Wilson and the offense operated. We all saw the results of that. I didn’t think it would be that bad seeing the best QB prospect we have had  in years get his ass handed to him.

These men that run the Jets from the GM on down to the coaches are professionals and should have known this was coming, that is what’s frustrating. Hopefully someone, anyone, in that building has an answer how to keep that kid protected is all I care about at this point. Let him develop, no way he does running for his life. Can’t have the kid playing scared. Fix it GM and CS, that’s all we can hope for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The 2 dropped passes by Moore early that could have stabalized the O in the first half.  

The OL looked like an uncoached fire drill.

Seemed like they didn't have a defensive game plan to deal with McCaffrey.

Q having zero impact getting pressure up the middle.  

Our running backs are trash.

Thought the secondary was okay.  Thought the DL was okay.  Thought Zach showed toughness, athletic ability and a great arm.

Hard to say what the adjustments were because in truth Carolina wasn't really threatened and that impacts how they play.  It did look like our D settled down in the second half.

On the positive side we got a great punter without wasting a draft pick. 

Uncoached fire drill. Perfect example describing the OL. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

if there's was a chance that you'd have a conversation that didn't look like pure conjecture, i might engage. 

Conjecture-an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

I love that you think you're opinions are based on complete information. You always act as if you watched every angle of game film, are in the locker room and at the practices which gives you the TRUE reasons X or Y happens. Just admit that you, like everyone else, are just spewing opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. Try to tone down the animosity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Conjecture-an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

I love that you think you're opinions are based on complete information. You always act as if you watched every angle of game film, are in the locker room and at the practices which gives you the TRUE reasons X or Y happens. Just admit that you, like everyone else, are just spewing opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. Try to tone down the animosity. 

I love you. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Thanks in advance.

1. I expected our D line to dominate the Carolina O line and I (stupidly) expected Elijah Moore to live up to his hype in a game won surprisingly easy by the Jets because the young man under center for the Jets is THAT good.

2. Our O line was worse than horrible in both pass protection and the run game and Moore's only presence on the game tape is him screwing up. The young man under center girding his loins at half time and balling out in the second half made it a game the Jets could have won if anyone other than Wilson and Davis actually contributed.

3. Drill the sh*t out of the O line against stunts and twists. If zone blocking in the run game is an issue, mix it up with some man blocking. Use more roll outs on pass plays. Peruse the rosters of other teams for their 6th best lineman, if he is an interior lineman and the starting O line is not a bottom 10 O line, pick up the phone and make a trade offer. We need to protect Wilson at all costs.

The BOTTOM LINE is that Wilson is the real deal and JD, Saleh and LaFleur need to move heaven and earth to protect him. I fear this team misses Gregg Knapp more than we will ever know.

• Post of the Week 3

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1. I expected our D line to dominate the Carolina O line and I (stupidly) expected Elijah Moore to live up to his hype in a game won surprisingly easy by the Jets because the young man under center for the Jets is THAT good.

I think alot of people felt this way.  I think alot of peoples expectations were not in-line with reality. 

This D-line is not talented enough o dominate anyone, for example.  Nor is Zack good enough (yet) to overcome no OL and no running game against a team knowing they can blitz and still stop the run.

2. Our O line was worse than horrible in both pass protection and the run game and Moore's only presence on the game tape is him screwing up. The young man under center girding his loins at half time and balling out in the second half made it a game the Jets could have won if anyone other than Wilson and Davis actually contributed.

Entirely fair.  The Oline I think almost 100% of us expected it to be materially better.  Moore, I hate to say it, was all premature fan hype, a perfect example of why I tell folks "wait till they've taken a snap that counts before handing them a RotY trophy, lol".  Fans do this alot (I recall when it was Herndon folks were doing this about! Look at him now.).  

3. Drill the sh*t out of the O line against stunts and twists. If zone blocking in the run game is an issue, mix it up with some man blocking. Use more roll outs on pass plays. Peruse the rosters of other teams for their 6th best lineman, if he is an interior lineman and the starting O line is not a bottom 10 O line, pick up the phone and make a trade offer. We need to protect Wilson at all costs.

The BOTTOM LINE is that Wilson is the real deal and JD, Saleh and LaFleur need to move heaven and earth to protect him. I fear this team misses Gregg Knapp more than we will ever know.

I don't think trades under duress is the way to go.  But I agree, the protection of Wilson needs sorted, and sorted fast.  Whatever it takes, within reason.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thanks in advance.

1. I expected us to lose.

2. The offensive line was in shambles. It looked worse.

3. Not draft Becton. Okay Fant at LT last year, draft a RT last year and select Ceedee Lamb in R1. Not draft Zach at 2, trade back to 8-9 and select Mac Jones, then use the other 1, 2 and two 3’s and whatever we got for trading back on OL,TE, WR, CB, and EDGE.

Nobody listens to me Warfish. It’s just not fair!!!

Google Pout GIF

• Haha 2

I didn't expect a win.  I've been a Jets fan long enough that Sam Darnold would look competent, Anderson would catch a deep TD or two, and the defense would have no solution for McCaffrey.

What bothered me about the game was obviously the underwhelming play of the O-line-  the warning signs were there- new scheme, haven't played together, but we all thought the talent had been upgraded.  The other concern in my eyes was the play calling. You have to find ways to make things easy for your rookie QB. You need to get your 'playmakers' the ball. If things aren't working, you have to adjust. And don't get me started on the 4th and 1 call. 

On what to do differently?  Stay the course.  It's a young team, and there will be bumps. But I hope LeFleur is taking a good look at the film and figuring out ways to make things easier on his QB.. especially with BB foaming at the mouth. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1. I expected us to lose.

2. The offensive line was in shambles. It looked worse.

3. Not draft Becton. Okay Fant at LT last year, draft a RT last year and select Ceedee Lamb in R1. Not draft Zach at 2, trade back to 8-9 and select Mac Jones, then use the other 1, 2 and two 3’s and whatever we got for trading back on OL,TE, WR, CB, and EDGE.

Nobody listens to me Warfish. It’s just not fair!!!

Google Pout GIF

Love the gif, lol. :lol:

I was with you on most of that (albeit a different WR than Lamb, I was a Jeudy guy).

Apparently they don't listen to me either!

The only thing that was a real kick in the nuts was the OL play. And I guess Moore looking like a butterfingered dickhead in his first game after hearing about him catching everything thrown within his vicinity in camp.

The defense as a whole actually played better than I expected. McCaffrey tearing us up was a given. He’s the best RB in the league and one of the best all-around offensive weapons in the league, period. This is what he does to the majority of the teams out there.

Hopefully we make some adjustments and the OL performs a helluva lot better moving forward despite the loss of Becton for as much as half the season. Douglas should seriously consider trading a mid-round pick for an interior OL because Van Roten is backup material.

This is probably a 4-6 win team. But how anyone could watch that 2nd half, particularly the 4th quarter, and not be excited about Wilson is beyond me. The kid has special arm talent and balls of steel. He and Davis are going to feast for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 4

1.  I expected the Jets to lose.   I expected the DB's to get eaten up by a good Panthers WR group.   Was pleasantly surprised by how well the DB's played, obviously getting down to the 3rd string safety was a problem.   

2.  It was criminal to put that sh*t OL out there with our rookie franchise QB.   To let him take such a beating with the same JAGs on the OL from last year is totally unacceptable.   

3.  Find a way to protect Zach or roll the Captain out there to take the beating, they just cannot afford to ruin this kid.   

• Upvote 2