For Those Deeply Unhappy After Week 1

Warfish

1) Honestly yes, Panthers are not that great of a squad. This entire forum ragged on Darnold for months, he lost a ton of games last year. So we can't beat him now? Whats that say about the state of the Jets?

2) Oline was shockingly bad. Fant was another weird JD signing, (he seems to believe in people no one else does, and it never works out) However with AVT and Becton (TWO FIRST ROUNDERS ON THE LINE) I just expected a little more then 2 yard runs and 6 sacks watching Zach run for his life every play. 

3) JD did not put a good roster on the field for 2021. It's honestly is to late for any major changes at this point. This was the gamble they took, to roll with the young guys, plug and play guys on cheap, and roll with a young QB with barely a relevant backup. I hand this to JD, he has a set, but like many gamblers in AC I know, that often leads to terrible decisions in the long run. 

Let's see how week 2 against the Pats plays out. If we are rolled again this town will get hot quickly. Everyone got a pass last year with no fans. But if its another 2-15 type season not only will the boo birds be out, its going to get ugly all around putting fans through another awful season. 

There is a  "developing roster" and then there is also just fielding a bad football team. Lets hope its the former. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think alot of people felt this way.  I think alot of peoples expectations were not in-line with reality. 

This D-line is not talented enough o dominate anyone, for example.  Nor is Zack good enough (yet) to overcome no OL and no running game against a team knowing they can blitz and still stop the run.

Entirely fair.  The Oline I think almost 100% of us expected it to be materially better.  Moore, I hate to say it, was all premature fan hype, a perfect example of why I tell folks "wait till they've taken a snap that counts before handing them a RotY trophy, lol".  Fans do this alot (I recall when it was Herndon folks were doing this about! Look at him now.).  

I don't think trades under duress is the way to go.  But I agree, the protection of Wilson needs sorted, and sorted fast.  Whatever it takes, within reason.  

"Within reason" is a sliding scale. What do you pay an above average UFA O lineman entering or in his prime when your O line is terrible and is also responsible for the health and safety of a 23 year old franchise QB? It's a heck of a lot more than you pay one who is an addition to 1) an already good O line or 2) an O  line that is to protect Teddy Bridgewater, Ryan Goff, Ryan Fitzpatrick and players of their ilk.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have a question (or two or two or three):

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

1. 19-14 isn't far off - can't say I'm entirely too surprised with the final score.

2. The quarterback was hit far too much. The offensive line looks terrible in run & pass protection. This scares the sh*t out of me.

3. Genuinely do not know what we can do right now, but for next season, I'd say we continue to invest heavily in the big fellas up front. 

• Upvote 1

I did expect a win but I am not unhappy with the performance. The way things turned around in the second half changed my entire perspective. Had we played all 4 quarters like we did the first 2, I'd be singing a different tune.

Wilson dismissed all doubts about his toughness and put a rock solid game together. I felt pretty good about his ability to go get the W had he gotten the ball back with 4 minutes left. That is enough for me for game 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

"Within reason" is a sliding scale. What do you pay an above average UFA O lineman entering or in his prime when your O line is terrible and is also responsible for the health and safety of a 23 year old franchise QB? It's a heck of a lot more than you pay one who is an addition to 1) an already good O line or 2) an O  line that is to protect Teddy Bridgewater, Ryan Goff, Ryan Fitzpatrick and players of their ilk.

It is, my within reason isn't alot of folks within reason.

Late round pick trades, fine.

1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick trade, absolutely not under any circumstance (near enough).

Never trade when desperate.

Scrapping the Waiver wire or other team's practice squads is fine, as is (as said) late round pick trades, but I don't see us getting much improvement via any of those methods, honestly.

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not deeply unhappy, but

1) Yes. On the order of 24-21

2) Our OL play, the lack of an interior pass rush, and the run fits

3) There's not much to do about the first two of those at this point, beyond hoping that the line starts to gel and that QW rounds into shape. Until he does, I would strongly consider sliding JFM inside next to Rankins on at least some passing downs, and rolling with a line of Huff-Rankins-JFM-Ward on at least some passing downs. The third is partly coaching and partly injuries, so perhaps something can be done there.

• Upvote 1

Thanks in advance.

1) I expected a loss. I expect them to lose the next 3 as well. 

2) OL play was atrocious

3) OL is going to need some time to gel. I know people don't want to hear it but it is true. Once they start working well as a unit the running game will get better and Wilson will more than a nanosecond to drop back and make a throw without having to run for his life.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

3) How to fix the OL issues -It's too late for that now this year,  but I think JD just made some bad choices and signings.  Bottom line is he'll have to overspend next off-season to bring in a competent OL, no more bargain basement shopping.  He swung and missed and now has to pay.  He can't be cheap anymore.  

I also think you'll have to draft an LT with one of the two firsts and then draft 2 more more OL throughout the rest of the draft (we have the picks)

If the oline continues to play the way they play last week, which is pretty much the way they played last season, by next year Zach Wilson would have endured at least one injury and would be ahead of schedule to become the next Sam Darnold in the hands of JD. A guy that had potential but was vastly under protected. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

That was one stop away from a drive with a chance to win, so I disagree with 

@SAR I

The Panthers had a huge halftime lead.  The odds of winning the game were in excess of 92% so long as they killed the clock and didn't turn the ball over.  They stopped trying to score.  They were just running CMC everywhere and giving Zach a nice soft zone to pick at underneath.  If they wanted to continue to dominate us we'd have lost 40-0.

You will see this firsthand on Sunday.  Bill Belichick is truly going to step on the gas and never apply the brake like Rhule did.  The place is going to empty out at halftime.  The boos cascading down on the team, coaching staff, and particularly the GM, will be palpable.  It's going to be a seminal SOJ moment.  They'll be talking about it for years.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Love the gif, lol. :lol:

I was with you on most of that (albeit a different WR than Lamb, I was a Jeudy guy).

Apparently they don't listen to me either!

I wanted either of them. Didn’t want my overall oint to be lost because Heydy has a sprained ankle… you know how the derp arguments are here.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Panthers had a huge halftime lead.  The odds of winning the game were in excess of 92% so long as they killed the clock and didn't turn the ball over.  They stopped trying to score.  They were just running CMC everywhere and giving Zach a nice soft zone to pick at underneath.  If they wanted to continue to dominate us we'd have lost 40-0.

You will see this firsthand on Sunday.  Bill Belichick is truly going to step on the gas and never apply the brake like Rhule did.  The place is going to empty out at halftime.  The boos cascading down on the team, coaching staff, and particularly the GM, will be palpable.  It's going to be a seminal SOJ moment.  They'll be talking about it for years.

SAR I

You almost seem to be rooting for that outcome. I wonder why.....

• Upvote 2

The o-line was bad. Lafleur did not do them many favors with playcalling. RBs are incomplete, you cant rag them when they're first getting contact a yard behind the line of scrimmage. Zach looked good when I wasn't scared he was gonna get murdered. The rest of the team looked about like I'd expect. Hope Moore can get into the swing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

1) I expected a loss. I expect them to lose the next 3 as well. 

2) OL play was atrocious

3) OL is going to need some time to gel. I know people don't want to hear it but it is true. Once they start working well as a unit the running game will get better and Wilson will more than a nanosecond to drop back and make a throw without having to run for his life.

Will that be too late for Wilson?

Injury or too shell shocked?

Seriously, JD and Saleh should have understood what you and many are claiming  (the the OL was going to be very bad early) and not started ZW.

Should have had a sacrificial lamb for a half a year while the OL got their sh*t together.

A ZW injury this year will be 100% on JD.

• Post of the Week 1

I knew we werent going to be good this year.  But I do think we can win some games b/c there are a lot of bad teams in the NFL right now, and the Panthers were one of them.

The thing that's got me bummed is Becton's play and Becton's injury.  He played really well for us last year, leading many of us to make the assumption that he would get better in year 2 and prove to be a top 10 player b/c his ceiling is so high.  That dream came crashing down yesterday (and obviously from reports during training camp) and it now seems like we have a problem.

But that's pretty miserable.   Franchise LTs are *rare*!  We have just sunk an enormous amount of draft capital into getting one, and its not like we're going to continue getting high first round picks to waste on the position.  So yea, that really sets our rebuild back significantly and there is no way to sugar coat it. 

I have hopes that he recovers from the injury and that he gets his mind right and figures out the system, but right now that's just a dream that doesn't correspond to what we see on the screen.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I didn't break out the crystal ball.

They fought back to make it a ball game in week one.  Credit where credit is due. 

I'm not arguing against the season being up in the air.  If they don't improve the OLine over where they were in the 2nd half things can get very ugly.  

Side note: Zach might see some of the disguised blitzes and get some big gainers.   I think he's not a typical rookie in terms of what he sees.  

3 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

I didn't break out the crystal ball.

They fought back to make it a ball game in week one.  Credit where credit is due. 

I'm not arguing against the season being up in the air.  If they don't improve the OLine over where they were in the 2nd half things can get very ugly.  

Side note: Zach might see some of the disguised blitzes and get some big gainers.   I think he's not a typical rookie in terms of what he sees.  

That's only if the OL picks it up.  Which they don't seem capable of right now.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You almost seem to be rooting for that outcome. I wonder why.....

Actually, I am.  The GM is that bad.  Not rooting for his firing, but he needs to feel the hot seat more than any executive in NY sports.  The Florham Park Country Club Cocoon that he's created for himself ends Sunday.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

Sunday was not a glass-half-full situation.  That was a disaster.

A GM in over his head picking the wrong players.  A HC knowingly going into a game with an OC that didn't address the OL woes felt all summer, who benched all his starters in his last presesason game, and treated his first game like an exhibition.  A DC who sees CJ Mosley and Quinnen Williams get 2 tackles between them and 0 pressures against a weak Carolina OL and makes no adjustments.  An OC blowing the dust off the Rich Kotite playbook and putting his potentially elite WR in some childish doghouse.

Only the Jets could finally find the franchise quarterback of our dreams at the very moment our GM has bumbled his way into turning us into an expansion team without the benefit of an expansion draft.

SAR I

I wanted to be entertained. I wanted Zach to look like he belonged and get better as the game progressed. I wanted to look forward to game 2 and beyond.

Mission Accomplished.

Oh, and by the way, the worst defense in the history of NFL football played well enough to win.

I am optimistic for the first time in a long while.

Not surprised we lost, predicted it. Mad about the offense line. I was outspoken here concerned we didn’t address it to the extent that was necessary especially after taking another young quarterback.

Not a second guess. Saw it coming. My exact words on many occasions was “build a monster”.. Parts and pieces are interchangeable save for a generational talent here or there- of which there are 3-5 each draft. Maybe next year???

I'm not deeply upset but I want to play anyway because this is fun!!!

I predicted 31-10 Panthers and that both Sam and Robby would have career days and while did score both TD's, they obviously didnt have career days, though Sam could have if he didnt miss a couple of easy TD's.

The most disappointing aspect of the game was the lack of production from the 2020 class.  They really needed to hit on that draft and it's really not looking good.  Who knows what's going on with Mims but this Becton sh*t is bust level and that's scary because if Mims is in the dog house for whatever reason with this coaching staff, that basically leaves you with Bryce Hall.  Also, the talent gap between a 5 win team and a 2 win team from last season was drastic.  There isnt a single position group that the Jets are better except maybe hopefully QB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

1) I did not expect us to win - but thought it would be close. 

2) Outside of the OL

I was actually quite happy with just about everything else.

• QB played well
  • Young DB's played well - missed a few assignments (which should be expected) but overall was happy with their performance
  • Young LB's - tough to tell because of CM - but I thought they held their own (need to see more from Mosely but hopefully that's just rust)
  • DL - CM gets them a pass, but they weren't terrible.
  • RB's - more OL than RB's.
  • WR's - too many drops but otherwise were getting open and making plays.  Corey Davis was very good.
  • TE's - got what was expected.  Not much, but that's fine.

3) How to fix the OL issues -It's too late for that now this year,  but I think JD just made some bad choices and signings.  Bottom line is he'll have to overspend next off-season to bring in a competent OL, no more bargain basement shopping.  He swung and missed and now has to pay.  He can't be cheap anymore.  

I also think you'll have to draft an LT with one of the two firsts and then draft 2 more more OL throughout the rest of the draft (we have the picks)

I think 2 tackles should be selected in the first. Or an LT and a C. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

1 - I thought we stood a good chance of winning.  Didn't expect to but wouldn't have been surprised.  We were slaughtered.  The Panthers shut it down in the second half.  What looked like progress in the 3rd and 4th quarters, wasn't.

2 - Lack of preparation and, worse, a core strategy that seemingly puts square pegs in round holes instead of adapting the gameplan to the players we have.  OL, the obvious one.  WR, another.  If Saleh and LaFleur weren't smart enough to see that we weren't prepared to play a real NFL game and put that turd out there, that's extremely concerning and if they treated a real game as if it were a preseason game, how dare they be so cavalier.

3 - If the OL can't handle the Shanahan lateral movement, if we have awful pass protection, if we have awful run production, then get off it and go to something more traditional until such time as they are comfortable with it and competent enough to protect the quarterback and develop a rushing attack.

SAR I

Totally disagree on 1. What game were you watching?, and either way you are way off. Nobody shuts anything down with a 16 point lead. It was a tail of 2 halves and we kicked their butts in the 2nd half. They were lucky they got the 1st down on the last drive or Jets would have had a chance to win with a TD cause at that point they were struggling to handle our O, and our D held then to 3 second half points. Did they try to be less aggressive with Darnold, maybe, but not because they shut anything down, but because they figured he would make a serious mistake or two in the end and would be better off to see if their D could not allow 3 TDs to lose the game since we were at most getting 4-5 possessions. They are very fortunate it worked out. 

• Upvote 1

No, I visited the panthers forums for a few weeks and saw that their D was pretty good.  Expected a bomb to Andersen and for Sam to be adequate... he was and they won.  Their OL is not great either so they have a quick passing game to offset their issue... On thing that their fans complained about was how their OC, after getting the lead, gets conservative...you saw that second half  and that I suspect helped the D. 

Without Q the OL ineptitude and PCing.   

Today I saw the HC presser and frankly he didn't look like the guy we been used too... reality must have set in .  Anyway, stay the course I mean what choices to you have... 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

1 - I thought we stood a good chance of winning.  Didn't expect to but wouldn't have been surprised.  We were slaughtered.  The Panthers shut it down in the second half.  What looked like progress in the 3rd and 4th quarters, wasn't.

2 - Lack of preparation and, worse, a core strategy that seemingly puts square pegs in round holes instead of adapting the gameplan to the players we have.  OL, the obvious one.  WR, another.  If Saleh and LaFleur weren't smart enough to see that we weren't prepared to play a real NFL game and put that turd out there, that's extremely concerning and if they treated a real game as if it were a preseason game, how dare they be so cavalier.

3 - If the OL can't handle the Shanahan lateral movement, if we have awful pass protection, if we have awful run production, then get off it and go to something more traditional until such time as they are comfortable with it and competent enough to protect the quarterback and develop a rushing attack.

SORE I

SORE I, AKA…

B004B9C8-90AC-4A73-9BBB-3DDC7CBD9F9A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Reasons why I am unhappy about game one.

- Oline was dreadful and will get the new QB killed or ruined.  That is bar FAR the biggest issue. 

- Dropped passes.  zero excuse for pro receivers to drop as many passes as the jets do.

- Our mr wonderful duo of Mosley and Quinnen did nothing and let the other teams star dominate the game.

There were things to like about game one but also things to be truly upset about.

Nice post.  One caveat though re the OL.  Didn't we lose 3-4 linemen before the start of the season due to injury or retirement?  Not you specifically but folks here BASHING JD for the OL need to back off a little.  Sure the OL sux but I can't complain about JD's efforts....sh!t happens.     

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nice post.  One caveat though re the OL.  Didn't we lose 3-4 linemen before the start of the season due to injury or retirement?  Not you specifically but folks here BASHING JD for the OL need to back off a little.  Sure the OL sux but I can't complain about JD's efforts....sh!t happens.     

No..

I've stated this many, many times.

4 or the 5 starters on the OL Sunday were the same as the starters last year.  That is without injury.  Only change was adding a rookie guard.

This was the depth chart before pre-season.  Nothing to do with injuries.

• Upvote 1