For Those Deeply Unhappy After Week 1

Warfish

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Totally disagree on 1. What game were you watching?, and either way you are way off. Nobody shuts anything down with a 16 point lead. It was a tail of 2 halves and we kicked their butts in the 2nd half. They were lucky they got the 1st down on the last drive or Jets would have had a chance to win with a TD cause at that point they were struggling to handle our O, and our D held then to 3 second half points. Did they try to be less aggressive with Darnold, maybe, but not because they shut anything down, but because they figured he would make a serious mistake or two in the end and would be better off to see if their D could not allow 3 TDs to lose the game since we were at most getting 4-5 possessions. They are very fortunate it worked out. 

"In the 39-plus years that the NFL has had a 16-game schedule, the season-long winning percentage for teams that were ahead at halftime has ranged from a low of 72.7 percent to last season’s record-setting 82.3 percent."  -The Athletic

That's a couple of years old, I'm looking for newer stats, but that's a 75% chance of winning the game with a halftime lead of any number of points.  Including 1, 2, and 3.  The Panthers were up by 16.  There was no way they were going to lose that game to anyone not named Brady or Mahomes let alone a rookie in his first game behind a line that belonged in high school.  All they had to do is what they did-  stop throwing, let CMC get some first downs, let the Jets get soft yards against a prevent.

You will see what I mean on Sunday.  Should be 24-0 at the half.  And Belichick isn't going to brake.  All gas.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

1. I expected us to lose.

2. The offensive line was in shambles. It looked worse.

3. Not draft Becton. Okay Fant at LT last year, draft a RT last year and select Ceedee Lamb in R1. Not draft Zach at 2, trade back to 8-9 and select Mac Jones, then use the other 1, 2 and two 3’s and whatever we got for trading back on OL,TE, WR, CB, and EDGE.

Nobody listens to me Warfish. It’s just not fair!!!

Google Pout GIF

monkey GIF

Sad Cry GIF by PG Tips

• Haha 2

I'm happy about week one because this team after a horrific first half actually adjusted and turned this into a game they could have won which is something we have not seen in quite some time. We did it with a lot of young players trying to find their way, get used to a new defense, a new offense and new coaching staff. How many of you expected the Jets to make a game out of it ? I didn't  and what I saw was a very impressive adjustment at all levels except the running game which stunk all game long

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have a question (or two or two or three):

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

1) Didn’t know what the score would be, but this was one of the 6 games I thought the team would win— more specifically, I thought Darnold would lose it.

2) the ineptitude of the Offensive line in the first half. It was inexcusably close to last year. JD HAS to get better at personnel decisions in this area. 

3) I have no idea outside of continuing to draft and sign better players that are a fit for this type of offense. I think they’ll get better as time progresses, but they need long-term solid solutions to Center, RG, and RT. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Panthers had a huge halftime lead.  The odds of winning the game were in excess of 92% so long as they killed the clock and didn't turn the ball over.  They stopped trying to score.  They were just running CMC everywhere and giving Zach a nice soft zone to pick at underneath.  If they wanted to continue to dominate us we'd have lost 40-0.

You will see this firsthand on Sunday.  Bill Belichick is truly going to step on the gas and never apply the brake like Rhule did.  The place is going to empty out at halftime.  The boos cascading down on the team, coaching staff, and particularly the GM, will be palpable.  It's going to be a seminal SOJ moment.  They'll be talking about it for years.

SAR I

16-0 is a HUGE halftime lead? what planet do you live on?

this is the 2nd time you said they laid back in the 2nd half. and i will ask this question for the 2nd time cause you never answered it.

so they let us score a TD to bring it to a one score game. why? is a 8 point 3rd qt lead a HUGE lead.?

so i guess they let us tie it in the 4th cause a tie is no problem for them right? im shocked they didnt just let us get the 2 pt conv to tie it.

maybe we should send Sam all thank you cards.

they would have had a 27-0 lead at the half but Sam miss 2 open receivers in the end zone. and fumbled on the goaline.

you really think they held back thinking if we did come back that , that spaz Sam wouldn't mess it up?. that they could score anytime they want on us? 

you know your not a Jet fan anymore right. they broke you.

your Randy Quaid from Major League 2. even if we win 10 game you will still find something to kill us for.

• Upvote 2

1. I wasn’t expecting a win, but was hoping we’d at least compete. The game was over at the half for all intents and purposes. Some are happy about the final score being fairly close, okay fine. I’m not, I looked at it’s as letting a mediocre team go into prevent mode.

2. The OL was a joke, obviously. The defense played hard, but couldn’t contain the one weapon Carolina had in CMC. Sam isn’t a good QB, and we made him look competent, that’s alarming. If it happens again this week against Mac at home, this unit might really fall apart. There isn’t a lot of talent if QW and Moseley don’t ball out.

3. What can be done at this point? Not much really. Just watch the year play out, and hope this years draft isn’t as bad as last years. If it is, we’re in big trouble.

I’m a lot more down on JD than most, and I’ve been so from the beginning.  I don’t believe Douglas had to turn this into an expansion team in order to rebuild it, but I’m in the minority there.
All I heard for 2 1/2 years was “In JD we Trust” and “Thank you Joe Douglas, thank you.” so I thought perhaps I was wrong. I don’t want to be that guy, but  I’m beginning to think I wasn’t.

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, doitny said:

so they let us score a TD to bring it to a one score game. why? is a 8 point 3rd qt lead a HUGE lead.?

so i guess they let us tie it in the 4th cause a tie is no problem for them right? im shocked they didnt just let us get the 2 pt conv to tie it.

We didn’t win the game, right?  We ran out of time, right?

The New York Jets have played 958 games in their history and have come back from a deficit of 16 points or more exactly 4 times.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/comebacks.htm

SAR I

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The New York Jets have played 958 games in their history and have come back from a deficit of 16 points or more exactly 4 times.

SAR I

Even more so, when you don’t score in the first half you’re not winning. 

The jets offense has been so bad in recent memory, the gm spent the first 4 picks on offense.  And the first 2 picks last year.  And they still didn’t score a point in the first half.

something has to change and quickly.  This coaching staff will be under fire in short order if the jets offense lays another egg in the first half.  Because this time, unlike other years, very few out there will be blaming the quarterback now.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even more so, when you don’t score in the first half you’re not winning. 

The jets offense has been so bad in recent memory, the gm spent the first 4 picks on offense.  And the first 2 picks last year.  And they still didn’t score a point in the first half.

something has to change and quickly.  This coaching staff will be under fire in short order if the jets offense lays another egg in the first half.  Because this time, unlike other years, very few out there will be blaming the quarterback now.

I don’t see how we are going to score at all on the Patriots.  We can’t run the ball, we can’t pass protect, and they have one of the best secondaries in the league. 

Wilson looks great but we know what Belichick does to rookies.  

And we have a rookie kicker who hasn’t had a single attempt in a live game yet.  

And we have a rookie OC who was unprepared.  

And we don’t have a starting-caliber RB on the roster.  

Sunday Bloody Sunday.   Going to be ug-ly.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I thought the 4th and 1 play epitomized what you wrote.  We all knew the jets were running that play and all the panthers knew it too.  The play had zero chance.  The obvious call was to fake the handoff and have wilson roll out and give him the option to run or throw.  The stubbornness and myopia of the coaching staff to adhere to their roots in the 49ers style offense was on full display there.

I've watched tons of football, watched tons of 3 & 1's, or 4th and 1's where in either scenario I knew the team was running up the gut and they got it.  Some where they didnt.  But I dont play mmqb and say the other team knew what was coming so it had no chance.  Everyone knows how those scenarios will play out.  If the OL get as push you make it, if not, you dont.  

• Upvote 1

some revised history here-there were PLENTY of folks that said the Jets would win and Sam would be terrible but now most saying they knew they would lose. 

I am upset because the jets are who I though they were and for some reason Joe could not see what a fan (me knew) he failed to build a good line and our rbs are trash. I posted a week before the game that are our rbs are trash and almost every single person said I was wrong and I don't know how the "49ers" running scheme works-some even went as far as to say I should be banned for posting what was not just accurate but a fair assessment. 

the fact that Joe thinks Coleman was the answer at RB after trying a washed Gore last year makes me believe he is clueless and will make the same mistakes over and over again

The only positive from the game for me is Wilson showed heart back there and is a gamer who appears to have talent but after the jets leaving him in their after that brutal hit and not even checking on him leads me to believe the Jets are not smart enough to even try to protect their franchise qb-Joe told Sam and his parents he would protect Sam-looks like he didn't learn about protecting the qb again this year

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don’t see how we are going to score at all on the Patriots.  We can’t run the ball, we can’t pass protect, and they have one of the best secondaries in the league. 

SAR I

GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm happy about week one because this team after a horrific first half actually adjusted and turned this into a game they could have won which is something we have not seen in quite some time. We did it with a lot of young players trying to find their way, get used to a new defense, a new offense and new coaching staff. How many of you expected the Jets to make a game out of it ? I didn't  and what I saw was a very impressive adjustment at all levels except the running game which stunk all game long

lol the panthers were in essentially prevent defense and went very conservative on offense-the game was never in jeopardy for them.  

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Offensive line wasnt ready to play, too many drops, lack of concentration and overall lack of preparation/energy. I thought the Jets ran a pretty light training camp and it carried over into Week 1 imo. They need to turn it up at practice a bit. 

You also thought that they didn't practice in pads most days because Saleh was soft

Which was a case of you just not knowing that the new CBA dictates how many days can be in pads 

I also don't know how someone who didnt go to camp would know it was a soft camp

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, kmnj said:

lol the panthers were in essentially prevent defense and went very conservative on offense-the game was never in jeopardy for them.  

Except when most of the 2nd was spent with the Jets within one score of the panthers.  All of a sudden that kept the game out of reach.  A turnover, a busted coverage luck play like the one that let Anderson get free would have tied the game.  But thats a never in doubt game.  LOL

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

They were in prevent how exactly, what proved to you they were in prevent to secure that one score lead?

Throw the cliche out and what exactly was the Panthers not playing with that unchallengable 8 point lead?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

16-0 is a HUGE halftime lead? what planet do you live on?

We got the ball to start the game.  Carolina didn't just have a 16 point halftime lead they had the clock to open the 3rd Quarter.   We made it a one score game at the 6:05 mark of the third quarter.  It was a 2 score game at the 1:25 mark of the third quarter and it was a 2 score game for the entire 4th quarter.

The reality of the second half is it was a 1 score game for 4 minutes and 40 seconds of the third quarter. 

The odds of a 2 point conversion is under 50% compared to 94.1% for an extra point.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

They have a rookie QB and we have a HC who comes from the defensive side of the ball.  We have a great opportunity to knock off the Pats if we can stop their run game and Moore catches the ball.  

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I have a question (or two or two or three):

Question #1:  What final score did you expect vs. Carolina?  Did you expect us to win?

Question #2:  What was it, specifically, about the week 1 performance that you're most angry about?

Question #3:  What do you suggest we (the team) DO, in changes, cuts, signings, firing, etc., about the issue(s) you are angry about in #2 above?

Thanks in advance.

In all due respect, I feel that it is relatively simple as to why I am very disappointed in game #1.

I predicted the Jets winning 31-27.  Why?

I felt that we would see improvement in areas that we EXPECTED improvement:

1. The offensive line-  They couldn't block in the running game, and couldn't block in the passing game.  I expected a top 10 offensive line with Becton, Vera Tucker, Moses, etc..  

If the line was able to block better, then the 14 points that the Jets scored would have doubled in my book.

2.  The defensive line-  They didn't pressure Darnold for one.  Who?  Where was Rankins and Quinnen, who declared that he was the "best of the best?"   They sucked, and I did not hear their names called not once, or perhaps I missed the one or two times their names wrere called.

Overall, I expected improvement where the Jets put their rescources in the offseason via trade and draft.  it didn't happen.

Expectations for improvement:  that is what I expected.  If the Jets lost 31-27, and the offensive line looked good, and the defensive line gave pressure, then I would be satisfied.  The fact that the cornerbacks exceeded my expectations is a great thing.  But we put valuable resources on the trenches, and they didn't come through.  You win and lose games in the trenches, and the Jets lost in both those areas.

Going forward, no reason to discuss cuts or additions or firings until after the season.  After one game, it is just foolish to even talk about it.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

WOW.

i don't know what to say but that's crazy. so now teams look at a teams history as to how they play a team today? you think Rhule looked at that? 

did you know that in our 958 game history that only one other time did a RB get over 187 yds from scrimmage ....just ONE other time. it was Carlos Hyde in 2016 who got 200 yds, and we beat the 49ers 23-17 in OT. 

i bet Rhule didn't know that or he wouldn't have held back his team. oh wait ,maybe he did and he knew if CMC got to 200 yds we would win the game cause we are undefeated when that happens.

hey @SAR I you wanna bet the TB game? you can have the Jets. we are 10-2 in our history against TB. that's a 83% chance to win for you. i mean knowing how you look at history to judge your games you should love your odds. 

im disappointed in you. no team in any sport looks at a teams history to how to play them. Rhule is not planning his game plan on what the 1962 Jets did in a game.

i would respected your answer more if you said Rhule had no confidence that Sam wouldn't mess it up. you being a history major know Sam has a history of boneheaded mistakes.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What you should say is "wow, I learned something new today" and thank me.

SAR I

your right, i did learn something today.

i learned it doesnt matter what todays team looks like, i need to look at there history. 

thanks man!

gotta run. going to my bookie to bet everything on the Jets to beat TB. thanks for enlightening me on this new way to pick winners.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Aren’t you the dude that said fans who were pessimistic last year didn’t deserve to be happy when (if) the Jets are good again?

5 hours ago, kmnj said:

Great post showing you have no clue what a prevent defense is or when a team within one score in the 4th quarter was never in the game . Don't lol at people when you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

your right, i did learn something today.

i learned it doesnt matter what todays team looks like, i need to look at there history. 

thanks man!

gotta run. going to my bookie to bet everything on the Jets to beat TB. thanks for enlightening me on this new way to pick winners.

Aaron Judge might go 5 for 5 tonight with 5 grand slams, right?  I mean, it's possible, right?

SAR I

• Haha 1