Jump to content

OT: Whatever happened to announcers that actually get excited about football?


Recommended Posts

I’m a big baseball fan, and I appreciate both types of calls. Letting the game breathe and not being a homer with a smooth voice and some announcers that kibbitz around and basically have a talk show. 
 

if you want that kind of game calling you’ll get that with the local radio guys. The national broadcasts aren’t going to be too high or low either way until we get to playoff time.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Watch Gus Johnson do college games

I used to hate Gus Johnson because he was so over the top in his calls and now I love listening to him. Either he's turned it down one notch or we're both just getting older.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buck is beyond horrendous.

The main thing they have to do is shut the hell up and call the play during the play.  There is plenty of time to tell your stories between plays.

And we absolutely do not need the female sideline reporters at all.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Buck is beyond horrendous.

The main thing they have to do is shut the hell up and call the play during the play.  There is plenty of time to tell your stories between plays.

And we absolutely do not need the female sideline reporters at all.

That’s why Doc Emmerick was the best announcer in any sport. It was always  about  the game and the players with him, not about him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd listen to Michaels every time over Berman and his stupid ninknames and could, go, all the way screeching over the top calls all game.  

Worst announcing gig in all of sports, listening to Berman do baseballs home run derby.  Its like getting root canals without Novocain.  Every home run getting the "back, back, back" treatment 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Watched a few games this week, and one thing I've noticed, especially during the Bucs games (I live in Tampa) is that the announcers are so goddam monotone, and clearly aren't excited at all about football. Romo is the obvious exception.

 

If I have to hear another ******* word that Chris Collinsworthless or Al Michaels says, I'll shoot my damn brains out. I wanna hear Chris Berman yelling "stumblin, bumblin, fumblin, touchdown!!!!" not some monotone jackasses that barely know anything about football. 

 

Seriously, I don't care about the rules changes or the flags or anything else, but they seriously need new announcers nearly all across the board. This monotone, emotionless announcing with absolutely no insight makes the broadcasts incredibly boring.

Best call ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6BgnqAFWA8

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Watched a few games this week, and one thing I've noticed, especially during the Bucs games (I live in Tampa) is that the announcers are so goddam monotone, and clearly aren't excited at all about football. Romo is the obvious exception.

 

If I have to hear another ******* word that Chris Collinsworthless or Al Michaels says, I'll shoot my damn brains out. I wanna hear Chris Berman yelling "stumblin, bumblin, fumblin, touchdown!!!!" not some monotone jackasses that barely know anything about football. 

 

Seriously, I don't care about the rules changes or the flags or anything else, but they seriously need new announcers nearly all across the board. This monotone, emotionless announcing with absolutely no insight makes the broadcasts incredibly boring.

I dig fully.  Love it when things are more colorful when watching a game.  I'd pay $50 per game if Gus Johnson would call the Jets games.  At least I know I'd have fun even if the Jets suck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Watched a few games this week, and one thing I've noticed, especially during the Bucs games (I live in Tampa) is that the announcers are so goddam monotone, and clearly aren't excited at all about football. Romo is the obvious exception.

 

If I have to hear another ******* word that Chris Collinsworthless or Al Michaels says, I'll shoot my damn brains out. I wanna hear Chris Berman yelling "stumblin, bumblin, fumblin, touchdown!!!!" not some monotone jackasses that barely know anything about football. 

 

Seriously, I don't care about the rules changes or the flags or anything else, but they seriously need new announcers nearly all across the board. This monotone, emotionless announcing with absolutely no insight makes the broadcasts incredibly boring.

Chris Berman, to my recollection, never did any in-game play by play on a football game. He did post game highlights on a show that wrapped up the day in the NFL and also led you into the late night game, so he had to get you hype for your last serving of Sunday football. Of course he could get away with being more bombastic and over-the-top enthusiastic. 

Yikes. If you're gonna make this comparison, at least do apples to apples. You're comparing apples to Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Eagle irritates me more than any other play by play guy. Cannot stand when he calls Jets games.

Honestly, I wish there was an option to watch with no commentary. Very rare any of these guys add anything of note to the broadcast. I'm always calling out the obvious penalty before they even see the flag.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the guy before Bob W. 

He had a great radio voice. That was when I first started being a Jets fan so forgive me for not knowing his name. He was gone the next season I think.  That old guy that used to do the college games was pretty good. Whoa nelly! He used to say. I like the old school style of commentating. Now a days announcers just talk incessantly to fill the dead air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Watch Gus Johnson do college games

Fox had the poor guy try the Champion’s League a few years back.

He gave it, what I thought, was a valiant effort.  The other kind of football is not easy to learn at an analyst level if your only exposure is an 8 year old’s rec games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, PCP63 said:

Watched a few games this week, and one thing I've noticed, especially during the Bucs games (I live in Tampa) is that the announcers are so goddam monotone, and clearly aren't excited at all about football. Romo is the obvious exception.

 

If I have to hear another ******* word that Chris Collinsworthless or Al Michaels says, I'll shoot my damn brains out. I wanna hear Chris Berman yelling "stumblin, bumblin, fumblin, touchdown!!!!" not some monotone jackasses that barely know anything about football. 

 

Seriously, I don't care about the rules changes or the flags or anything else, but they seriously need new announcers nearly all across the board. This monotone, emotionless announcing with absolutely no insight makes the broadcasts incredibly boring.

I know this is an area of personal taste but Al Michaels is an iconic announcer with over 50 years of experience with many famous calls including  “do you believe in miracles?” at the 1980 Olympic hockey final. He is universally considered one of the best announcers  of all time so if you don’t like him you’re probably pretty tough to please. Collinsworth has many detractors but he tends to tell me things about football that I don’t already know so I enjoy his analysis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chirorob said:

Its why John Madden was so popular back in the day.   He LOVED football, and it came through.

Don Criqui, Endberg and Michaels were my favorites. No hyperbole, good raconteurs and we’re able to adapt to the pace of the game with their commentary.

The players featured for a game were not the greatest in the NFL and every play was not the greatest in league history.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ian Fleming said:

Don Criqui, Endberg and Michaels were my favorites. No hyperbole, good raconteurs and we’re able to adapt to the pace of the game with their commentary.

The players featured for a game were not the greatest in the NFL and every play was not the greatest in league history.

That drive me nuts, and they do it even more in baseball.

"Is this the best ever?   The greatest blah blah blah ever?"   Do you know sports history?   Have you actually watched multiple players over the last 30 years? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the rest but watching NY Jets football and then watching a game like the Raiders-Ravens on Sunday night makes me actually think i'm watching something completely different in all aspects. 

If you want announcers to get excited during NY Jets games its going to be awhile.

joewilly12

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Ian Eagle irritates me more than any other play by play guy. Cannot stand when he calls Jets games.

Honestly, I wish there was an option to watch with no commentary. Very rare any of these guys add anything of note to the broadcast. I'm always calling out the obvious penalty before they even see the flag.

Do what we did back in college……turn on the game with no sound, and play tunes. Works every time.😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2021 at 9:15 PM, Wit said:

I’m a big baseball fan, and I appreciate both types of calls. Letting the game breathe and not being a homer with a smooth voice and some announcers that kibbitz around and basically have a talk show. 
 

if you want that kind of game calling you’ll get that with the local radio guys. The national broadcasts aren’t going to be too high or low either way until we get to playoff time.

Great post, agreed.

I appreciate everyone has their own preferences, but I can't stand most NFL Pregames nowadays due to exactly the kind of "passion" the OP seems to want.  I don't need yelling and screaming and loudness from my announcers, especially on supposedly unbiased National coverage.  Frankly, I'm tired of the dumb ex-jocks pretending they a. have anything of value to add and b. shilling for one team over another hard.  I like more neutral, more mellow, non-jock announcers myself.

But as you say, if you want fire and passion and outright-rooting-for-our-team-bias, listen to the local radio broadcast of the game, you'll get all of that to the nines.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always loved the individual styles of broadcasters and enjoyed listening to esp radio calls from different teams. And now with MLB, Tune-in  etc you get a better opp to hear these guys. But much of the talk IMO is boring and pro home team some of these guys are cheerleaders. Sure it’s a lot of time to fill but still. So I often on TV hit the mute button. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...