Jets pass rush better than the box score suggested

AFJF

It was frustrating to see the Jets get so few hits on Sam but saw guys like JFM, Quinnen and Huff doing a really good job on the all 22 but the damn ball just kept coming out on for short conpletions in roughly 2 seconds to McCaffrey or somebody else underneath.  Sam's totals on passes under 10 yds.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

It was frustrating to see the Jets get so few hits on Sam but saw guys like JFM, Quinnen and Huff doing a really good job on the all 22 but the damn ball just kept coming out on for short conpletions in roughly 2 seconds to McCaffrey or somebody else underneath.  Sam's totals on passes under 10 yds.

That's what Lafluer should have been doing with Zach.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

That's what Lafluer should have been doing with Zach.

Interestingly enough, Zach ALSO had a ton of throws in that range - 23. He was 11/17 on passes LOS-10 yards, and 2/6 on passes behind the LOS, both of which are not good enough. 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Horseshoes and hand grenades.

I'm sick of the Leo Williams career scenario of he almost got there.

6-1 in sacks is all that matters

What percentage of NFL sacks happen within 2 seconds of the snap? Arguing that the DL should have sacked Darnold on a throw that came out that quickly is almost like saying they should've sacked him on a handoff. That's on the back 7 to cover better.

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Sounds cute but how many sacks should anyone expect when Sam was throwing 22 passes inside of 10 yards, 7 of those behind the LOS?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Interestingly enough, Zach ALSO had a ton of throws in that range - 23. He was 11/17 on passes LOS-10 yards, and 2/6 on passes behind the LOS, both of which are not good enough. 

What percentage of NFL sacks happen within 2 seconds of the snap? Arguing that the DL should have sacked Darnold on a throw that came out that quickly is almost like saying they should've sacked him on a handoff. That's on the back 7 to cover better.

They're incomparable... the plays for Sam were set plays... the plays for Zach were checkdowns from the rush forcing many of those throws.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If the D line wants sacks, they have to improve their opportunities by forcing teams into passing downs by shutting down the run game. The D line failed to do that.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Want Sacks? Stop the quick short stuff and put the O in long distance late downs. The D failed miserably in that regard.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Want Sacks? Stop the quick short stuff and put the O in long distance late downs. The D failed miserably in that regard.

The carolina game plan on offense was smart, have darnold get the ball out quick to mccaffrey and not put the game on his shoulders.  Darnold was reduced to a game manager and that’s what he should be in the nfl.  The difference in the game was that carolina had the best playmaker in the nfl and the jets didn’t have anything close.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

I realize that all of this is true.  And as it being true, "why didn't the Jets defend for the short passes?"

14 of 15 on passes inside of 10 yards tells me that the coaches did a piss-poor job of adjusting to what the Panthers were doing.  This is a garbage excuse to me!!

Honestly? Tired of hearing this bullsh*t every year about the Jets pass rush. 

Hit the f*cking QB or get out. I don't care about almost sacks and almost QB pressures. Make a play. 

Obviously, the Lawson injury was just devastating for us. I can't reiterate enough how much that injury changed the trajectory for this defense this year. Such a bummer. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alka said:

I realize that all of this is true.  And as it being true, "why didn't the Jets defend for the short passes?"

14 of 15 on passes inside of 10 yards tells me that the coaches did a piss-poor job of adjusting to what the Panthers were doing.  This is a garbage excuse to me!!

Perhaps they didn't have anyone good enough to cover one of the best RBs in the NFL?  Notice they signed a LB yesterday whose strong suit is coverage.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Honestly? Tired of hearing this bullsh*t every year about the Jets pass rush. 

Hit the f*cking QB or get out. I don't care about almost sacks and almost QB pressures. Make a play. 

Obviously, the Lawson injury was just devastating for us. I can't reiterate enough how much that injury changed the trajectory for this defense this year. Such a bummer. 

You can be tired of facts all you like, but they're still facts.

BTW, they hit Darnold 7 times despite the short pass game and quick hitters.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You can be tired of facts all you like, but they're still facts.

BTW, they hit Darnold 7 times despite the short pass game and quick hitters.

Maybe. 

It just always sounds like the same story. Listen, the defense isn't the reason we lost last Sunday. The single biggest reason we lost is because our offensive line was not functional for most of the game - we couldn't run the ball a lick all day and didn't score a single point until late in the 3rd quarter. So, I get it. 

But, I'm tired of hearing that we almost have a good pass rush. I've been hearing that same song and dance since Rex was here. True or not, it's going to piss me off. I'm getting too old for, "actually PFF says we were secretly good!"

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The carolina game plan on offense was smart, have darnold get the ball out quick to mccaffrey and not put the game on his shoulders.  Darnold was reduced to a game manager and that’s what he should be in the nfl.  The difference in the game was that carolina had the best playmaker in the nfl and the jets didn’t have anything close.  

I'd be curious to know how many of Darnolds completions, if not even throws, were to his 1st read.  Seemed like most.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

they forced darnold to go to his short guy but that happened to be mccaffery and the jets didn't cover him very well.  only a few passes went more than a few yards and that fact that darnold didn't go long very often means the dline was giving him some pressure.

I don't think they forced anything.  I think that's exactly what they were trying to do.