Bringing 11 year old to his first home Jets game - looking for something fun to do with him

Walk around Times Square, hit the M&M's store, FAO Schwartz if it's still around.  Check out Grand Central.  Go to the top of the Empire State building.  Those are all the tourist things I did first when I moved there.

• Upvote 1

At the stadium there will be a whole bunch of activities oriented towards kids if you enter through the MetLife Main entrance gate(it’s between the Pepsi & Verizon gate entrances) you’ll see a turf field where kids play and run around and it’s also right by the main Jets Team/Gift shop. Hope you have blast and your boy has a memorable experience (either good or bad one, but he’ll grow accustomed to trauma anyways, being a Jets fan & all 😁)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, SC Jet said:

My 11 year old son is a HUGE Jets fan, even though we live in South Carolina.  I'm bringing him to NY for the first time this Saturday and have tickets to the Patriots game.  I'm looking for something else fun to do with him to help make it memorable.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I figure this could be a once in a lifetime so I want to do it right!  Thanks!

Enjoy it  

• Upvote 1

Find Gray's Papaya or Papaya King and have the best hot dog in the world.  I don't think it's open anymore, but the Carnegie Deli or a Stage Deli style place where the sandwich comes with 3 pounds of meat and is a foot tall and you get a stack of pickles when you sit.  Those places are fun too.

• Upvote 1

It's all about where your hotel is.

If you're in Manhattan, the Central Park Zoo followed by the Museum Of Natural History is a full and non-stressful day, and then at night head back out to the Hayden Planetarium for a show.

If you prefer only outdoor activities, the Central Park Zoo followed by the High Line and/or a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is amazing.

If you're in New Jersey, there are several parks and sights to see which I can recommend.  Let me know.

SAR I

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, Origen said:

Find Gray's Papaya or Papaya King and have the best hot dog in the world.  I don't think it's open anymore, but the Carnegie Deli or a Stage Deli style place where the sandwich comes with 3 pounds of meat and is a foot tall and you get a stack of pickles when you sit.  Those places are fun too.

Gray’s is on 72nd & Broadway on the southeast corner. I walked by there a few weeks ago and saw the “Recession special - 2 Hotdogs + a medium house drink” that I used to pay $1.95 for as a HS kid back in ‘95 is now $6.95?!?!? Lol 

how time flies and the $ depreciates. Lol

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Lol, I need to know the back story to this

so random

It's a brilliant reference to an earlier thread about maggots in ketchup at MetLife.   That joke is about as skillful as it gets.  Wished I wrote it.

1 hour ago, SC Jet said:

My 11 year old son is a HUGE Jets fan, even though we live in South Carolina.  I'm bringing him to NY for the first time this Saturday and have tickets to the Patriots game.  I'm looking for something else fun to do with him to help make it memorable.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I figure this could be a once in a lifetime so I want to do it right!  Thanks!

If you are looking to have fun with him, have you considered skipping the game altogether?

• Upvote 2

if u are staying in NYC and are there the day before and looking for something to do then-do a river cruise on the hudson-kids enjoy that stuff and you can see lots of cool stuff like statue of liberty etc... I would say a helicopter tour but honestly there is some danger in that so go with the boat

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

google american dream mall NJ-you are basically right there-there are tons of things a kid that age would enjoy-

there are rides, water park , indoor skiing all sorts of stuff-it was 20 years in the making and I dont see it surviving but some cool things there for sure

• Upvote 1

also just a heads up-i expect this game to have a good amount of pats fans and sadly that can cause issues so just keep an eye out on your surroundings-most fans are good people  sadly about 5-10% cant handle their boos and are looking for trouble-  I am not trying to be negative just giving u a heads up

have a great time-I will always cherish the memories I have of football with dad on sundays-we had a great run over over 40  years going back to shea -I gave up my tickets as he is sadly  no longer around and it just wont be the same for me

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Lol, I need to know the back story to this

so random

During the Giants home opener there were maggots inside the ketchup. 

Edit- oops didn’t realize someone already filled you in about that lol

• Upvote 1

I would take him to Chelsea Piers. Lots of fun stuff to do there. Afterwards you can go to one of the theme restaurants like Hard Rock, Jekyl and Hyde, or Gayle's Broadway Rose (Ellen's Stardust is still closed) if your kid likes singing and dancing waiters

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Take him to Time Square and make a Tik Tok video with the Joker to the song Wishing Well. 

It's like, I laughed when I read this and I want to hate it but I love it.

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Head down to St. Marks and get matching tattoos and/or piercings.

Mom will love it!

That would leave less scarring than being a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1