Bringing 11 year old to his first home Jets game - looking for something fun to do with him

SC Jet

7 hours ago, Origen said:

Walk around Times Square, hit the M&M's store, FAO Schwartz if it's still around.  Check out Grand Central.  Go to the top of the Empire State building.  Those are all the tourist things I did first when I moved there.

I was so happy to read FAO Schwarz (no 't') is still alive and kicking. Relocated to 30 Rockefeller Center. Much smaller location than the 5th Ave/58th locations I grew up with.  The move to the GM Building made it ginormous. The famous big piano (from the Tom Hanks film Big) is now in Macys kids store location at Herald Square.  Glad my kids (I think all of them.... LOL) got to visit it, not that they remember it really.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Origen said:

Find Gray's Papaya or Papaya King and have the best hot dog in the world.  I don't think it's open anymore, but the Carnegie Deli or a Stage Deli style place where the sandwich comes with 3 pounds of meat and is a foot tall and you get a stack of pickles when you sit.  Those places are fun too.

And koranets pizza on the upper west side.  Get the large slice!

i miss grays. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SC Jet said:

My 11 year old son is a HUGE Jets fan, even though we live in South Carolina.  I'm bringing him to NY for the first time this Saturday and have tickets to the Patriots game.  I'm looking for something else fun to do with him to help make it memorable.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I figure this could be a once in a lifetime so I want to do it right!  Thanks!

I fondly recall times my father brought me into New York City when I was a child and trust that you will make this a truly meaningful trip that lasts with him for a lifetime.  Admittedly, New York City is not quite the same in the pandemic era (is anywhere) but you will still be able to make memories.  Here are some of my thoughts:

1.  Get excellent sushi.  It is virtually unavailable in South Carolina, and makes for a unique experience that broadens your son's sensibilities while also making for a delicious culinary experience.  If budget is constrained you can do KazuNori Handroll.  If no budget, you won't struggle to find an excellent place, but might decide to do Sushi Yasuda simply because it is an institution.

2.  Go to the Strand.  While I don't doubt that there are bookstores in South Carolina, the Strand is something of a New York institution that has been featured in the films of notable directors including Woody Allen (he isn't cancelled in my book at least).  You will find a plethora of fascinating books and even be able to view gorgeous vintage editions.  The experience will likely be eye-opening for your son and may result in a great and edifying souvenir!

3.  The Morgan Library.  There is currently an excellent exhibit of Shahzia Sikander who is noted for bringing Indo-Persian manuscript painting into contemporary artwork.  It may be possible to view Sikander works in other settings but it would be hard to come by in my experience.  

4.  The Tenement Museum.  Sometimes it is important to look at the dark side of history and to remember the difficulties faced by Americans in the 19th century and early 20th century.  I know that there are controversies about what children are being taught in school these days but if you want to help mold your child's outlook the best way to do it is to confront harsh realities together.  If you embrace the opportunity, you will likely be able to show him that intense deprivations were a historical reality for the vast majority of Americans not too long ago.  While this sounds depressing, it actually is a good wake-up call that puts today's struggles into perspective.

5. Dizzy's Club.  This is great location to view jazz in a child-appropriate setting.  Rather than going to a dive joint where the musicians are on dope and not so subtly describing their sexual prowess to the tune of bebop, Dizzy's offers veteran musicians that play everything from Samba to Big Band.  The food is acceptable if you were going to eat, but the real showpiece is the excellent views behind the musicians.  Indeed, there is a floor to ceiling window overlooking Central Park.  If you get an early enough show (I think 7:30 pm) you might catch the final glimpses of sunlight in the city and be able to watch the sunset while being serenaded by bosso nova.  

6.   The Cloisters.  Though it will require a bit of travelling into Washington Heights, it is well worth the trip.  Replete with treasures of medieval artwork and objects you will find yourself transported to a different era.  I do not need to oversell this one, it sells itself.

7.  The Beast Speedboat.  After giving your son such a perspective-broadening experience from sushi to tenements you might consider doing something that is more traditionally fun for children.  I personally find it dull, but you will get good views of New York City skyline and certain landmarks (probably Statue of Liberty).  You may find it tiresome compared to the Jazz you were enjoying, but it will probably be a good reward for your son and the promise of the speedboat may help maintain his patience with other things as a reward he will enjoy.  By the time he has enjoyed the other things, he may grow cynical about speedboats and not enjoy it anymore (try to read the room to see if he's matured past speedboats).  

There are other things I'd love to recommend including excellent cocktail bars and things like that, but figured that it would not be a good fit with son in tow.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SC Jet said:

My 11 year old son is a HUGE Jets fan, even though we live in South Carolina.  I'm bringing him to NY for the first time this Saturday and have tickets to the Patriots game.  I'm looking for something else fun to do with him to help make it memorable.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I figure this could be a once in a lifetime so I want to do it right!  Thanks!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sites/default/files/photos/large_002jetpot.jpg

13 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i heard a rumor that they now have small slices.  

i am sure the pizza sucks but it was fun to get such a massive slice at 2am

I live 2 blocks away from Koronet. 

They’ve always had regular slices, but are notorious for their Gigantic slices which feed the hoards of drunken Columbia & Barnard students.

it’s a regular NY slice that is nothing extraordinary from your classic slice (it’s due to the tap water in making the dough) so I never got the hype. It was usually out of towners who lost their $hit because they’re drunk & hungry and about to eat q slice the size of their head. Lol. 

I prefer Famigilas across the street. Even the newer joint - Mama’s Too Pizza  b/t 105th & and 106th a few blocks south - is a better slice, but it’s more Sicilian style with artisan ingredients. It’s good, but not worth waiting on line for like John’s of Bleecker (back in the day) or Grimaldi’s 

38 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i heard a rumor that they now have small slices.  

i am sure the pizza sucks but it was fun to get such a massive slice at 2am

It's  average NY pizza. The firsy time I went there I was with a client that wanted to get Pizza and we happened to be walking by the place and I was like damn that is a big slice. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2021 at 3:16 PM, Origen said:

Walk around Times Square, hit the M&M's store, FAO Schwartz if it's still around.  Check out Grand Central.  Go to the top of the Empire State building.  Those are all the tourist things I did first when I moved there.

These are all of the worst things to do in NYC

16 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

These are all of the worst things to do in NYC

Great addition.  Okay, All-night show at Cafe Wha? Just park your kid in the booth and give him a pillow while you pound sangria and dance till dawn to the best house band in the world?

2 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I live 2 blocks away from Koronet. 

They’ve always had regular slices, but are notorious for their Gigantic slices which feed the hoards of drunken Columbia & Barnard students.

it’s a regular NY slice that is nothing extraordinary from your classic slice (it’s due to the tap water in making the dough) so I never got the hype. It was usually out of towners who lost their $hit because they’re drunk & hungry and about to eat q slice the size of their head. Lol. 

I prefer Famigilas across the street. Even the newer joint - Mama’s Too Pizza  b/t 105th & and 106th a few blocks south - is a better slice, but it’s more Sicilian style with artisan ingredients. It’s good, but not worth waiting on line for like John’s of Bleecker (back in the day) or Grimaldi’s 

i believe Famiglias should not be called Pizza it is that bad.  :-)

Koronet pizza is average, it's just the large slices.   i did not realize it was lots of out of towners.  25 years ago it was only columbia students.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, SC Jet said:

Tomorrow night at Yankee Stadium is camo cap giveaway night and Saturday is Mattingly bobblehead day.