The real reason Denzel Mims is buried on the New York Jets’ depth chart

pretty good explanation.  who knows what his routes were last season.  new coach, new system and as saleh says, the guy behind the starters needs to know all three positions so he can fill in anywhere.  we'll see , as the season goes on, if mims wins the starter role back.  probably not.  there's too much invested in crowder and davis.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

pretty good explanation.  who knows what his routes were last season.  new coach, new system and as saleh says, the guy behind the starters needs to know all three positions so he can fill in anywhere.  we'll see , as the season goes on, if mims wins the starter role back.  probably not.  there's too much invested in crowder and davis.

probably one of these things where guys will get injured as mims catches up and then he'll get rotated in.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  Dumb, Lazy, or both.

Only explanation for a guy with his body and skills being buried behind guys who, frankly, are fringe bodies and talents at best.

Thank you for the summary, another in the long line of receiver busts, unless a miracle doth happen...

• Upvote 1

Sounds like he’s not buying into what the new CS is preaching and the CS has no problem throwing him under the bus: LaFleur & now Saleh have both said it comes down to learning the playbook (where to line up, proper routes, etc.) and learning all 3 WR positions. 

conclusion:

He’s got $h!t for brains, but what seems more egregious, no “fight” or an attitude that relegates him to 3 snaps despite depth issues. :-( 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

probably one of these things where guys will get injured as mims catches up and then he'll get rotated in.

right.  has crowder played all 16 games for the jets in any season?  i'm not sure about davis' history.  mims will get his chances and he needs to make the most of them.  the fans may not like their favorite not playing but as long as saleh is fielding his best team, so what.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You can't give the guy live reps if he doesn't know what he's doing.

Seems pretty clear from Saleh's comments Mims isn't putting in the work off the field to even justify getting the reps.

I'm talking about practice.  He was saying he didnt want to sign veteran CB's because it would take away from valuable camp reps.  Why was the WR position different?   Why not poor all of that into Mims/Moore the way you did with the corners?

1 hour ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Basically Mims is either a bit slow or is lacking the desire and effort to prove himself as a #1 WR in this league. I like to believe that the lights will turn on for the kid and he’ll see his way to the top of the depth chart. Either way, it’s an interesting read with some solid breakdowns.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/09/15/denzel-mims-new-york-jets-depth-chart/ 

another great pick from the 2020 draft by JD

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not sure why you listed them together.  Being inexperienced doesn't seem to be preventing Elijah Moore from getting live reps and working his way up the depth chart. Seems like he played the 2nd most snaps at WR after Davis.

I don't think this about a lack of opportunity for Mims.

Me either, I'm sorry.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

jets-stephen-hilljpg-23b9099db9a3abe9.jp

Sure, but Hill basically had one good game here (opener against the Bills in 2012) - Mims has shown a little more than that to me. He looked good in his limited time last year, he looked good in his limited time in the preseason this year, and he looked good in his 2 snaps on Sunday. 

I don't know, I'd like to see more of him

• Upvote 1

Wow. Heard Denzel called a dope, slow, dumb, lazy, stupid … but you loved him when he caught the forty yard bomb. The article explains his lack of college experience running complex route trees. It also points out his injury record and just how difficult the system is. All those casual put-downs are pretty ugly and uncomfortable. Among other things. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sure, but Hill basically had one good game here (opener against the Bills in 2012) - Mims has shown a little more than that to me. He looked good in his limited time last year, he looked good in his limited time in the preseason this year, and he looked good in his 2 snaps on Sunday. 

I don't know, I'd like to see more of him

Hey I agree overall I am hard on mims because i expected a lot more from him this year.  I expected him to come into camp and just take off after last year.  Instead he let other players pass him on the depth chart.  The coaches are going to play the best players.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The coaches are going to play the best players.

This should be true, but I always worry when it comes to the Jets. This coaching staff is still in its honeymoon period, so it’s still a bit taboo to be too critical. I just hope they know what they are doing. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He can be dumb and lazy, but if he's going to be making 40 yard catches, the coaches need to get him on the field and let him run straight down the field. 

You can't teach 6'3, 4.3

Remember that when Zack throws to were Mims should be, and he isn't there, and it goes for 6 the other way.

If you're cool with hanging Zack out to dry like that, ok.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Basically Mims is either a bit slow or is lacking the desire and effort to prove himself as a #1 WR in this league. I like to believe that the lights will turn on for the kid and he’ll see his way to the top of the depth chart. Either way, it’s an interesting read with some solid breakdowns.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/09/15/denzel-mims-new-york-jets-depth-chart/ 

Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey I agree overall I am hard on mims because i expected a lot more from him this year.  I expected him to com into camp and just take off after last year.  Instead he let other players pass him on the depth chart.  The coaches are going to play the best players.

There is a reason the kid fell almost all the way to rd 3.  I can see the temptation with all those physical skills...  I mean its not the QB position... there are a lot of really dumb WRs that are highly successful in the NFL.  They at least learn how to learn the playbook.  I guess the WR coach doesn't have the support or time to give him more 1-1 attention?  You would think the jets have someone working on him every day, right?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Crowder is a goner after this season. Mims has an opportunity to take the number 2 job....

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This should be true, but I always worry when it comes to the Jets. This coaching staff is still in its honeymoon period, so it’s still a bit taboo to be too critical. I just hope they know what they are doing. 

Honestly, we have a group of coaches who are in the "never been" category.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Remember that when Zack throws to were Mims should be, and he isn't there, and it goes for 6 the other way.

If you're cool with hanging Zack out to dry like that, ok.

This is the only reason he isn't on the field. Rookie QB throwing to WR who cut when he was supposed to curl. That's all it takes.