George Fant: Playing LT is hard

Team archer

4 minutes ago, Origen said:

Fant started at LT most of the preseason games, so chill.  He said what he said because it's true, when you focus on doing things one way to a really high level, it can be difficult to switch it all into mirror-image movements.  I highly doubt the reporter slid next to him as he was crying in his locker and had a sob story about "How haaaaaard it all is".  Jeez don't you people have professional meetings where you discuss things like adults at work?  Or do you just whisper any difficult conversation and text?  Edoga is the other T backup.  When I saw Fant get absolutely undressed on a spin move sack I was terrified, he actually setled in better at LT where he played more in the preseason, crazily.  1 GAME PEOPLE.

It wasn't a back room conversation.  He said it to the press.

Now, I'm sure he was exaggerating as it's an absurd comparison - but the fact that he felt the need to say is what's so worrisome.  

It sure does feel like a pre-emptive excuse.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It wasn't a back room conversation.  He said it to the press.

Now, I'm sure he was exaggerating as it's an absurd comparison - but the fact that he felt the need to say is what's so worrisome.  

It sure does feel like a pre-emptive excuse.

I know!  He said it in a professional setting where a reporter came to him and said, "Hey George, what's it like switching to the left side?" and he said what he said.  I fail to see how a professional answering with clarity regarding the difficulties associated with a change such as this is a glaring failure and should be treated as such.  If it HAD been unnamed whispers saying that he was over his head and had no idea how to play the position- sure, go ahead and complain.  For a guy to stand up and say his job is hard and doing it against better athletes in a way that counteracts what you have been training your body to do for 2 years is challenging?  I have no problem.  I prefer that kind of reality from people.  Better than pointless boasting or whining.  Time for him to put up or shut up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Perhaps he’s aware that he’s a band aid and he’ll get exposed when he has to start more than 1/2 the season against the top opposing pass rushers. 

Becton ain’t coming back this year IMO

Fant is good depth. I kinda thought he would be better than Moses at RT but I was clearly wrong. We could do worse at LT but every single person on that line needs to be way better next week. 

49 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I’ve thought about this since Becton went down. 
If Fant can’t hold up at LT, then AVT could slide over to LT like he did in college. IF, BIG IF, AVT can hold down LT for the rest of ‘21 well enough to stay there, would you move Becton to RT for ‘22 and beyond?

Becton = Darnold 2.0

Trade to someone else who thinks we messed him up when we know better, use the pick to try again.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Origen said:

I know!  He said it in a professional setting where a reporter came to him and said, "Hey George, what's it like switching to the left side?" and he said what he said.  I fail to see how a professional answering with clarity regarding the difficulties associated with a change such as this is a glaring failure and should be treated as such.  If it HAD been unnamed whispers saying that he was over his head and had no idea how to play the position- sure, go ahead and complain.  For a guy to stand up and say his job is hard and doing it against better athletes in a way that counteracts what you have been training your body to do for 2 years is challenging?  I have no problem.  I prefer that kind of reality from people.  Better than pointless boasting or whining.  Time for him to put up or shut up.

Well...

If my boss came to me and said - "Hey Bob, that job you've been asking for, well the guy just quit so it's yours - how do you feel about that?"

I would say something along the lines of - "Great, I'm excited and will do everything I can to make sure I'm successful"

What I wouldn't say is "Well, thanks and I know I've been asking for this job so I'll take it, but don't expect too much from me because it's a really tough transition"

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In fairness to Fant.

He really is taking the pre-emptive excuse lead from his HC and GM.

Who both went out of their way, on a multiple occasions, to express that we shouldn't expect too much from the team this year.

That is an excellent point.

The Saleh Culture seems to be "it's okay to suck until we don't".  Comes from Joe Douglas who has managed to fool fans and the media into thinking this is Year 1 when he's been here screwing up the roster since 2019.  Watch Saleh, when he has a team that might actually be competitive in 2024 or 2025, try to do the same thing.  He'll craft "Year 1" as his t-shirt slogan, follow his bosses lead.

Ever wonder what it would look like if the FO and coaching staff took a page from the Sheldon Richardson get-paid-huge-bank-then-retire-in-place playbook?  This is it.  Without the weed.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Well...

If my boss came to me and said - "Hey Bob, that job you've been asking for, well the guy just quit so it's yours - how do you feel about that?"

I would say something along the lines of - "Great, I'm excited and will do everything I can to make sure I'm successful"

What I wouldn't say is "Well, thanks and I know I've been asking for this job so I'll take it, but don't expect too much from me because it's a really tough transition"

Let's make it simple.  You used to be a Defense Lawyer, Now you are the DA.  Similar job, just opposite sides and all.  Reporter asks you, "What's up?" you go with "generic general upbeat lie" over "anything nuanced" as being the preferred response?  Ok, gotcha.

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Which part is fact?  That making the switch is hard or it's as hard as throwing with the opposite hand?  Because I just really disagree with the throwing comparison.  lol

It really is a horrible analogy.  Let's just compare the number of NFL OL we've seen switch from one side to the other vs MLB pitchers made the switch from lefty to righty or vice versa.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Origen said:

Let's make it simple.  You used to be a Defense Lawyer, Now you are the DA.  Similar job, just opposite sides and all.  Reporter asks you, "What's up?" you go with "generic general upbeat lie" over "anything nuanced" as being the preferred response?  Ok, gotcha.

Yes, but that's not what you tell your client.  You don't tell your client - "I'll take the case but it's going to be damn near impossible because I'm new to it."

In this case the fan base, it's just not the right thing to say.  

I'm not saying give the guy the death penalty just that it's worrisome that he would publicly say something like that.

If you don't see it, I'm not going to change your mind so we can leave it as we just disagree.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Run the ball, throw a ton of short passes with quick reads, some jet sweeps and screens or we are going to get Zach killed

I swear I’ve been watching this team for decades now and I actually caught myself, for the first time ever, saying a little prayer last Sunday on Every drop back, never done that before, didn’t even care about the outcome of the play, just don’t want to see rushers coming in untouched on this kid.

This is now the 4th consecutive year seeing this, or is it more? 

A Jet QB takes more heat in a single year than Tom Brady has seen in 20+ years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Becton = Darnold 2.0

Trade to someone else who thinks we messed him up when we know better, use the pick to try again.

SAR I

Think you’re right, unfortunately, have to dig into the file now of how geniuses are able to make very difficult processes easy to articulate with not many words...when clarifying his drafting philosophy

Gil Brandt...”Smart guys stay smart, dumb guys stay dumb and injured guys stay injured”

Becton is also going to have more trouble carrying that weight as he gets older too.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Team archer said:

He’s gonna get Zach killed some more

Perhaps I don't remember correctly, but "Didn't Fant say when he first signed with the Jets that he wanted to play left tackle?"

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what he said.  Now he's complaining that it is too hard?  

Making excuses beforehand so that when he screws up, it's not his fault?

That is so aggravating to read this.

26 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Would Edoga make ANY other NFL roster?

As long as he doesn't have to play, I think he is a great player!

Like buying homeowner insurance.  buying the cheapest policy with the worst company is not a problem until you have a severe damage to your home.  Then you have a problem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

all i'm going to say it that it was obvious to quite a few of us that we needed a left tackle and that becton wasn't it

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

But I'm with you now.  We have two ones - gotta take an LT with one of them - and you can roll the dice with Becton at RT next year but no way you can go into next season with him penciled in as the starting LT...

• Upvote 2