George Fant: Playing LT is hard

Team archer

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

But I'm with you now.  We have two ones - gotta take an LT with one of them - and you can roll with the dice with Becton at RT next year but no way you can go into next season with him penciled in as the starting LT...

Exactly. One of our picks needs to be a left tackle. And honestly I'd consider a center with Seattle's pick

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, SeattleJet said:

This was George Fant's reaction to Connor Hughes twit about him switching to Left tackle is hard.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFant74/status/1438253510886309901

Fant’s reaction is likely more about Hughes quoting him as saying that it was like a pitcher switching hands.  That’s not what Fant said, at least not during the press conference.  Fant compared it to Hughes having to write with his other hand, and he said “picture trying to switch to your left hand”.  I think Hughes mis-heard that and thought Fant said that it was like a pitcher switching hands.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

maybe he's trolling NE.

imagine he plays a better game at LT than Becton did.

The Becton hate is all stemming from training camp reports. He wasn’t great last week, but still graded out as the Jets best olineman. The injury he suffered also had nothing to do with his weight or being injury prone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This thread is giving me a sore head.

I'm pretty sure Fant was just being honest in answering a reporter's question.  It is challenging to switch from the right side to the left, as many other Tackles have previously acknowledged.  If it was easy, every right tackle would want to move to the left as left tackles generally earn more than right tackles.

But Fant has played left tackle before - it's probably a more natural fit for him than the right. He came here expecting to get a chance to start at left tackle (prior to Becton being drafted) and that was reflected in the contract that he got.

Fant looked OK on the left once Becton went down and I'm sure that, with a focus on completing the switch in practice this week, he will be well prepared to take on the challenge of being the full-time LT for the immediate future.

Pretty disappointing that we have people apparently ready to punt on the season, or calling for us to sit Wilson for the year, just because Becton went out. Fant doesn't have Becton's power, but he is an experienced NFL tackle who has played the LT spot before. The whole line needs to play better, but it's the interior that was the real issue on Sunday.

And moving AVT to LT is not a good idea right now. He's a rookie who missed most of pre-season and who, understandably, looked a bit overwhelmed in week 1.  A position switch, to the outside protecting the franchise QB's blindside, is the last thing he needs at the moment.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is legitimate concern.  No player should say what Fant said.  This is a preemptive “it’s not me, don’t blame me, it’s not my fault” setup for Sunday’s postgame press conference.  Shifting blame to the coaching staff for the disaster that awaits.  This is not good. 

SAR I

Or he’s trying to rope-a-dope him. Get the guy thinking he’s in trouble and then dominate that bitch! I do it at the buffet all the time when I walk in with  a limp and then I go to my strong side hard AF to the snow crab legs. I see you Mr. Fant, I see you. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This thread is giving me a sore head.

I'm pretty sure Fant was just being honest in answering a reporter's question.  It is challenging to switch from the right side to the left, as many other Tackles have previously acknowledged.  If it was easy, every right tackle would want to move to the left as left tackles generally earn more than right tackles.

But Fant has played left tackle before - it's probably a more natural fit for him than the right. He came here expecting to get a chance to start at left tackle (prior to Becton being drafted) and that was reflected in the contract that he got.

Fant looked OK on the left once Becton went down and I'm sure that, with a focus on completing the switch in practice this week, he will be well prepared to take on the challenge of being the full-time LT for the immediate future.

Pretty disappointing that we have people apparently ready to punt on the season, or calling for us to sit Wilson for the year, just because Becton went out. Fant doesn't have Becton's power, but he is an experienced NFL tackle who has played the LT spot before. The whole line needs to play better, but it's the interior that was the real issue on Sunday.

And moving AVT to LT is not a good idea right now. He's a rookie who missed most of pre-season and who, understandably, looked a bit overwhelmed in week 1.  A position switch, to the outside protecting the franchise QB's blindside, is the last thing he needs at the moment.

First off, our GM have already made it clear they're punting on the season.  They've stated many times not to expect too much from the team this year.

Secondly, the frustration with Fant is it just feels like preemptive excuse making.  I mean it's a very bad analogy, but that's not the point is, as a fan, the last thing I want to hear is the new LT telling me the job is close to impossible.  Even if it's an exaggeration

Lastly, no one is calling for pulling ZW the season, but pulling him until the OL gets things figured out.  If they don't and they look like they did you're risking his career. Moreover, it has little to do with Becton being hurt as he was as much a part of the problem as anyone else.  The OL was an absolute, unmitigated disaster last week.  JD missed on the OL this year, don't compound one bad decision with another.

12 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Exactly. One of our picks needs to be a left tackle. And honestly I'd consider a center with Seattle's pick

I strongly disagree with this take.  

First off, Im very disappointed that Becton is hurt again, and I highly doubt we can count on someone his size every playing 16 games, regardless of if its LT or RT.  I think thats just something you have to live with when you have someone who walks around at 360lbs.  That being said, using another first round pick on an OL is a waste, given the other needs on the team.

Good teams consistently find RTs in free agency, such as Morgan Moses.  We would be much better off extending Fant to lower his cap number and as long as he plays well, also extending Morgan Moses.  Its a better use of cap allocation to keep spend $18 million in 2022 and 2023 on 2 players like Moses and Fant who can help us if Becton goes down again, rather then spend a first round pick on a player who needs to play.

We should all thank god that we are going to play Fant and Moses at tackle on Sunday as opposed to Fant and Edoga.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

First off, Im very disappointed that Becton is hurt again, and I highly doubt we can count on someone his size every playing 16 games, regardless of if its LT or RT.  I think thats just something you have to live with when you have someone who walks around at 360lbs.  That being said, using another first round pick on an OL is a waste, given the other needs on the team.

Good teams consistently find RTs in free agency, such as Morgan Moses.  We would be much better off extending Fant to lower his cap number and as long as he plays well, also extending Morgan Moses.  Its a better use of cap allocation to keep spend $18 million in 2022 and 2023 on 2 players like Moses and Fant who can help us if Becton goes down again, rather then spend a first round pick on a player who needs to play.

We should all thank god that we are going to play Fant and Moses at tackle on Sunday as opposed to Fant and Edoga.

So, who plays LT next year then?

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Or honestly buy another tackle - a more serious one than Fant - should a good opportunity again materialize. It won't kill them, and the cost will be greatly offset by several veteran OLmen that should be jettisoned after this season.

They're already due to be some $70MM under next year. That's even without creating any more space for Fant ($10MM), McGovern ($9MM), GVR ($3.5MM), and other thusfar-useless bodies in Edoga, Clark, Ferguson ($1MM each), or other contracts likely to be readdressed like Shaq Lawson ($9MM) once Carl returns.

I know plenty of us get giddy with the potential of a cheap, all-drafted OL - it's hard not to with all the high picks they have - but they need two sure thing OL starter replacements before heading into the draft. Last thing I want to see next year are two rookie starters on the OL, who already get penciled in as starters before the draft even begins.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

Here’s your big shot  George.  If you play LT even semi-effectively you will get that next big contract when you are a UFA this coming offseason 

I don't think he will ever see a truly big contract.  He's too old.  I think he will hang on like Kelvin Beachum taking deals that are bigger than normal people earn, but not as big as what he got from us.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think he will ever see a truly big contract.  He's too old.  I think he will hang on like Kelvin Beachum taking deals that are bigger than normal people earn, but not as big as what he got from us.

He’s not that old he’s 29.  The Rams made a great signing 5 years ago with Whitworth and he’s still there 

13 minutes ago, Albaniajet said:

He’s not that old he’s 29.  The Rams made a great signing 5 years ago with Whitworth and he’s still there 

Whitworth had years of playing at a high level.  Fant has never been truly successful for any extended period. I don't see anybody paying him as an LT.  He is a swing tackle and insurance.  You know, like if your behemoth 1st round pick has trouble staying on the field. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Whitworth had years of playing at a high level.  Fant has never been truly successful for any extended period. I don't see anybody paying him as an LT.  He is a swing tackle and insurance.  You know, like if your behemoth 1st round pick has trouble staying on the field. 

Yes but if he plays competently at LT for 16 games he becomes a much more valuable asset on the open market

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Fant.  I played both tackle spots back in my day. It's nowhere near as hard as switching your throwing hand. I'd say it's more like driving a car here, and then driving one in the UK, where everything is switched to opposite side.  I had to do that when my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Ireland. It took a few minutes to adjust, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly.

1 minute ago, Albaniajet said:

Yes but if he plays competently at LT for 16 games he becomes a much more valuable asset on the open market

Fair enough.  It's a matter of opinion.  I like Fant, but I am a "traits" guy and he has been getting paid on potential.  There are reasons he would be a late bloomer.  Basketball player, TE in college.   Maybe he will last a long time, but I don't see him getting a big deal when Moses got almost nothing.  Still it does serve him well to perform.

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

"Well, thanks and I know I've been asking for this job so I'll take it, but don't expect too much from me because it's a really tough transition"

Except you editorialized this and added in the part where Fant in your mind added in the "but don't expect too much from me because it's a really tough transition".  Because he just said it would be hard.  As would anyone making the shift from one side to another.  Kind of thing people tell their bosses all the time

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Huh? Fant sucks. Who s our left tackle in this scenario? Our interior oline is also not very good. It's not a waste to use a 1 st round pick in oline. It's the biggest problem on the team. Our shiny new QB is gonna get killed if we dont do something about it. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Except you editorialized this and added in the part where Fant in your mind added in the "but don't expect too much from me because it's a really tough transition".  Because he just said it would be hard.  As would anyone making the shift from one side to another.  Kind of thing people tell their bosses all the time

No...

Because a pitcher throwing a ball with his opposite hand would be damn near impossible.  I suspect if asked to do that they might not even throw a strike for 9 inning.

Jesus people read between the lines, this is what he really said.

You signed me to he the starting LT

then you draft a LT in the first round, I took it

then I was projected to be the starting RT...I took it

then you sign an RT and make me battle through training camp to keep the job...I took it

then your prized rookie LT goes down AGAIN and you expect me to just jump back and forth like a god damn yo-yo? I took it

yeah..................this shyt is HARD