George Fant: Playing LT is hard

Team archer

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe rather than being able to cover for himself if he failed on the left side, Fant was claiming that he belongs on the left.  That is why he signed here.  To be the LT.  Then they drafted Becton, flopped him and everyone acted like Fant was a bubble guy.  As someone that always supported the signing, let me point out that whenver Seattle seemed ready to pencil him in, something would derail Fant's season.

I admittedly wasn’t big on the signing. On the heels of losing a camp competition to semi-bust Ifedi, he was signed for $9MM/yr - clear starter money - and was a below-average RT in 2020. Then he moves to the other side and becomes an above average LT.

Honestly I can’t recall seeing that happen before, but have no complaints with the flip. Maybe he moves more naturally the other way, but what’s really curious is he made it sound like he was going to have a tougher time at LT than he had at RT.  

Who cares now, though? I’d leave him at LT next year unless Becton absolutely wipes the floor with him all summer, which is possible but doubt it’ll happen. It was put to me that Becton’s got RT experience, and should have most of a spring + summer to get his RT sea legs under him. He was drafted to be the team’s LT but situations change, and anyway the goal is to put the best team out there. If he is a bit of an upgrade from Fant at LT but Fant is a major downgrade from Becton at RT, the greater good is not being served.

Anyway, plenty of time for those evaluations 6+ mos from now. Good problem to have, for a team to have two tackles who can both legit play LT. 

• 7 months later...
7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Felt like this was a good bump to put some minds at ease of Fant going back to RT.  

Amazing to see the freakazoids freaking out too.

It’s only a problem if it doesn’t work. Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks hypothesized about kicking AVT out to RT, with Jeremiah arguing it’d be a mistake to weaken the interior to patch up right tackle, which ai thought was interesting. His view was that it was easier to compensate for a bad tackle than a bad IOL

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s only a problem if it doesn’t work. Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks hypothesized about kicking AVT out to RT, with Jeremiah arguing it’d be a mistake to weaken the interior to patch up right tackle, which ai thought was interesting. His view was that it was easier to compensate for a bad tackle than a bag IOL

thats obvious from what happen last season

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s only a problem if it doesn’t work. Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks hypothesized about kicking AVT out to RT, with Jeremiah arguing it’d be a mistake to weaken the interior to patch up right tackle, which ai thought was interesting. His view was that it was easier to compensate for a bad tackle than a bag IOL

So I guess in that instance, Herbig would be the new RG?

Interesting fun fact from PFF on where Zach saw most of his pressures. He was pressured on 166 of his dropbacks, 39 of those were the fault of the right guard (GVR); 36 of them due to the right tackle. 29 were AVT’s fault, 20 from Fant, 13 from McGovern, and 29 were credited to Zach himself. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting fun fact from PFF on where Zach saw most of his pressures. He was pressured on 166 of his dropbacks, 39 of those were the fault of the right guard (GVR); 36 of them due to the right tackle. 29 were AVT’s fault, 20 from Fant, 13 from McGovern, and 29 were credited to Zach himself. 

curious did they break it down to by game cause those 1st 4/5 games the oline was a trainwreck and were letting free runners every other play beauce they could not prevent the stunts.  I wonder if it improved noticeably as time went on.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s only a problem if it doesn’t work. Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks hypothesized about kicking AVT out to RT, with Jeremiah arguing it’d be a mistake to weaken the interior to patch up right tackle, which ai thought was interesting. His view was that it was easier to compensate for a bad tackle than a bad IOL

Well, again, seemingly RT is more natural for Fant so this seems a dont over think it situation but they have 30 days to figure it out.

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

curious did they break it down to by game cause those 1st 4/5 games the oline was a trainwreck and were letting free runners every other play beauce they could not prevent the stunts.  I wonder if it improved noticeably as time went on.

They do have game by game, but I’d have to upgrade my subscription and that would make me extra annoying.

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Well, again, seemingly RT is more natural for Fant so this seems a dont over think it situation but they have 30 days to figure it out.

Pretty much. I’d be pretty chapped if I was Fant, though.