Jets O-line should just hold every play

The Crusher

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve been saying for a decade… the NFL product cannot afford stoppages of play at the frequency the Pats commit holds, so it’s clearly coached into them … hold every play, the NFL has to time box games and cannot call them all, live with the 5% of holding calls they make because the benefits of a dominant OL full of nobodies outweigh the cost of a few holding penalties.

It’s really all I’m saying. 

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Seriously! Either that or start Mike White. Our starting left tackle has already hedged his performance for the game. We already gave up 6 sacks to the Panthers last week. Zach lacks confidence to step up in the pocket. 

The Patriots do and will hold all game. The Jets need to do the same exact thing and Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas need to have the balls post game and simply tell the media,” it’s a little something we picked up from the Patriots offensive line tapes.” We aren’t winning anyhow, why get Zach killed in the process?

Start  Mike White or hold every play. Make the media look hard at what the Pats do and maybe save Zach’s career in the process.  Either that or sit Zach for the home opener.  Any other choice is terribly irresponsible and proves we missed again. 

90s ny knicks strategy....we could bring Oakley in as assistant OL coach to show how it's done

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

says the guy who wants to bench the #2 overall pick and have the o-line hold every play after one game ...

People keep saying 1 game - it's been two years.  These are the same guys, making the same mistakes.

Fant, McGovern, GVR are the consistent problems.

and now we're adding in a rookie and a guy that couldn't beat out George Fant.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I love this idea.  This is next level thinking.   If the entire OL holds on every single play, they cant throw a flag on every single down, so why not?  The Pats have been doing this for decades.   It's the only way to save Zach Wilson's life on Sunday.  He doesnt trust his pocket.  He needs the trust, so just hold on every play!  

What could go wrong?  The Jets opened vs. the Panthers w/ Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, INT, TOD, Punt, Punt Punt - that is next level ineptitude, so what do you have to lose?   I only see positives in this strategy. 

All holds, no brakes!!!

Yes and still only lost by 5 points to a C Mac lead team. Patriots don’t have a single offensive player on the stratosphere. We hold as much as the Pats and we won this one going away. “ Wake the hell up Joe Douglas and take charge of this team!” “ All holds, no brakes!” Love it!!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying 1 game - it's been two years.  These are the same guys, making the same mistakes.

Fant, McGovern, GVR are the consistent problems.

and now we're adding in a rookie and a guy that couldn't beat out George Fant.

again, a lot of the pressures from week 1 looked like communication issues which are likely due to new scheme & lack of time playing together. It wasn't a lot of guys just physically losing - it was mental. McG & GVR are definitely a problem on the inside and need to be upgraded though. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes and still only lost by 5 points to a C Mac lead team. Patriots don’t have a single offensive player on the stratosphere. We hold as much as the Pats and we won this one going away. “ Wake the hell up Joe Douglas and take charge of this team!” “ All holds, no brakes!” Love it!!

True they dont have a CMC but if you look at Harris and White, they're basically the same threat.  1 is a great runner of the Football, ran of 100 vs. the Dolphins and the other is basically a WR, 6 for 50 vs the Phins and they have a great defense and we do not.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

True they dont have a CMC but if you look at Harris and White, they're basically the same threat.  1 is a great runner of the Football, ran of 100 vs. the Dolphins and the other is basically a WR, 6 for 50 vs the Phins and they have a great defense and we do not.

That defense lost to a Tua led team. Better than average but I’d have to see more before I anoint  them great. Better than us? For sure, but who isn’t? 

• Upvote 1

The theme of this post - basically - is "give up and die or we will get Zack killed."  It is truly a sad state of affairs when the exact same idea occurred to me and only a little bit different. 

Instead of mass quantities of holding penalties - face it fellas, we never win the penalty exchange battle with Voldemort  - I suggest we bring in two tight ends and run between the tackles with Adams.   Will we win?  I doubt it.  But Zack will live if we limit his throws and run the old Herman Edwards offense.   Yes, the draw on third down.  Ack!  I would suggest Perine but he is banged up again (Ugh - c'mon young man - Carpe Diem!).  But I digress.  

I would like to believe we can match up with New England at the present time.  I just don't believe it.   It is not dumping on the veteran offensive line or getting gloomy about this season.  It is an honest appraisal that last week we could not run the ball well enough to avoid being one dimensional.  As a result - to complete passes - Zack was getting popped by free runners.  There are only so many of those hits a QB can take.   

I too want to see Zack's continued development.  I thought he played poorly in the first half.  He was short-arming his passes and aiming the ball.  When he let it fly in the second half, we saw the arm talent that made him the #2 pick.  The TD throw after the Brown burping was exciting and encouraging.  But I also thought that a magical, mystical force kept him on the field instead of heading to the tent for evaluation after the burping head bounce (hey fellas, where was the "burping" flag?).  I note that magical, mystical forces tend to abandon you when you need them. 

We know Voldemort is going to go after Zack.  We also know the offensive line has less than one half of play together.  The rookie guard - AVT - took the field with two weeks of practice and zero preseason.   Last week's protection breakdowns were both mental and physical.  We are not ready for New England.  Maybe later in the year when we have eliminated the mental errors and our 1s have had time to play together. 

The second half last week reminded me of when Baker Mayfield made his debut in the second half against us and kicked our ass.  I remembered thinking, "I wish my rookie QB had done that".  Last week, Zack gave us that glimpse.  But I also saw him getting popped. 

Let's run a conservative game plan until we can take off the training wheels without getting Zack killed.   I remind everybody that Ourlads warned that Zack should hold the clipboard for a year.  They sat Pat Mahomes and Ourlads said the same about him.

I think that we all sense that the Jets need to be careful with Zack.

The Jets might beat the Pats, but nobody is going to out cheat New England. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That defense lost to a Tua led team. Better than average but I’d have to see more before I anoint  them great. Better than us? For sure, but who isn’t? 

No, I meant the Phins have a good D and the Pats still ran at a great clip, meaning, they're going to do the same vs. the Jets.  Meaning, we're out matched on both sides of the ball.

HOLD!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Exhibit A of Zack lacking confidence to step up in the pocket:

Hands down his best play of the game but man, if the OL doesnt scare the hell out of you, it's these clips of him leaving his feet when he throws, especially scary when he actually does stay in the pocket and still leaves his feet to get the ball out.  I mean, look how he's getting mashed, if he falls the wrong way or the defenders comes down on him the wrong, it's a broken collarbone or worse, waiting to happen. 

Ugh.  I really dont see how this kid survives the season healthy.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Seriously! Either that or start Mike White. Our starting left tackle has already hedged his performance for the game. We already gave up 6 sacks to the Panthers last week. Zach lacks confidence to step up in the pocket. 

The Patriots do and will hold all game. The Jets need to do the same exact thing and Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas need to have the balls post game and simply tell the media,” it’s a little something we picked up from the Patriots offensive line tapes.” We aren’t winning anyhow, why get Zach killed in the process?

Start  Mike White or hold every play. Make the media look hard at what the Pats do and maybe save Zach’s career in the process.  Either that or sit Zach for the home opener.  Any other choice is terribly irresponsible and proves we missed again. 

hulk smash GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1