Jets O-line should just hold every play

The Crusher

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Hands down his best play of the game but man, if the OL doesnt scare the hell out of you, it's these clips of him leaving his feet when he throws, especially scary when he actually does stay in the pocket and still leaves his feet to get the ball out.  I mean, look how he's getting mashed, if he falls the wrong way or the defenders comes down on him the wrong, it's a broken collarbone or worse, waiting to happen. 

Ugh.  I really dont see how this kid survives the season healthy.

the protection w1 was awful - if it doesn't improve Wilson needs to be Favre to finish the season. I just think it's a lot of stuff that's fixable so I'm not freaking out. New system, new oc, guys not playing in preseason - all adds up. There's just so much that can be cleaned up to make it better. I'm optimistic it will be cleaned up if the coaching staff is worth a sht. W2 will definitely be a challenge against scumbag.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the protection w1 was awful - if it doesn't improve Wilson needs to be Favre to finish the season. I just think it's a lot of stuff that's fixable so I'm not freaking out. New system, new oc, guys not playing in preseason - all adds up. There's just so much that can be cleaned up to make it better. I'm optimistic it will be cleaned up if the coaching staff is worth a sht. W2 will definitely be a challenge against scumbag.

Maybe the OL is fixable and maybe some of Zach's pocket presence is fixable, the problem is, does he survive before it's fixed?  And then the leaving the feet stuff, so scary, so dangerous even with adequate time and protection. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

Maybe the OL is fixable and maybe some of Zach's pocket presence is fixable, the problem is, does he survive before it's fixed?  And then the leaving the feet stuff, so scary, so dangerous even with adequate time and protection. 

it's not just the OL - it's the protection. It's the QB identifying rushers, it's the RB and the TE picking up rushers, it's the OC giving them the ability to properly protect, it's the OL too, obviously.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

it's not just the OL - it's the protection. It's the QB identifying rushers, it's the RB and the TE picking up rushers, it's the OC giving them the ability to properly protect, it's the OL too, obviously.

Sure, all of it factors in and it needs to be fixed quickly.  My point is, does it matter if the kid is leaving his feet to get the ball out?  It's a scary habit that he's carried over from college. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

First time. Saw Becton in pads thought that my be what we got. Instead we got… “ off to IR we go”

53E75646-75BB-4E45-B0DB-AA5F97F1DDEA.gif

Now, c'mon.  Our big guy got rolled up from behind.  Can happen to any lineman and does.  The real issue was why the interior blocking left its feet and ended up on the ground along with the defender. 

He got hurt due to poor play inside.  I do think the knee is worse than they are letting on.  We shall see. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Sure, all of it factors in and it needs to be fixed quickly.  My point is, does it matter if the kid is leaving his feet to get the ball out?  It's a scary habit that he's carried over from college. 

it is scary - only a matter of time before some 350 slob pulls him out of the air and lands on him with all their weight. It happens less now with all the protection rules is the only thing that helps.

5 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Now, c'mon.  Our big guy got rolled up from behind.  Can happen to any lineman and does.  The real issue was why the interior blocking left its feet and ended up on the ground along with the defender. 

He got hurt due too poor play inside.  I do think the knee is worse than they are letting on.  We shall see. 

crusher was already convinced he was a softie. This happening only feeds his preconceived notion. He may be right about him being soft but this injury would have happened to anyone and isn't because he's soft.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve been saying for a decade… the NFL product cannot afford stoppages of play at the frequency the Pats commit holds, so it’s clearly coached into them … hold every play, the NFL has to time box games and cannot call them all, live with the 5% of holding calls they make because the benefits of a dominant OL full of nobodies outweigh the cost of a few holding penalties.

"They can't call them all".

-Bill "Scumbag" Bellicheat 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve been saying for a decade… the NFL product cannot afford stoppages of play at the frequency the Pats commit holds, so it’s clearly coached into them … hold every play, the NFL has to time box games and cannot call them all, live with the 5% of holding calls they make because the benefits of a dominant OL full of nobodies outweigh the cost of a few holding penalties.

that's was because they had Brady. hes gone so that sh*t has to stop. 

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

The theme of this post - basically - is "give up and die or we will get Zack killed."  It is truly a sad state of affairs when the exact same idea occurred to me and only a little bit different. 

Instead of mass quantities of holding penalties - face it fellas, we never win the penalty exchange battle with Voldemort  - I suggest we bring in two tight ends and run between the tackles with Adams.   Will we win?  I doubt it.  But Zack will live if we limit his throws and run the old Herman Edwards offense.   Yes, the draw on third down.  Ack!  I would suggest Perine but he is banged up again (Ugh - c'mon young man - Carpe Diem!).  But I digress.  

I would like to believe we can match up with New England at the present time.  I just don't believe it.   It is not dumping on the veteran offensive line or getting gloomy about this season.  It is an honest appraisal that last week we could not run the ball well enough to avoid being one dimensional.  As a result - to complete passes - Zack was getting popped by free runners.  There are only so many of those hits a QB can take.   

I too want to see Zack's continued development.  I thought he played poorly in the first half.  He was short-arming his passes and aiming the ball.  When he let it fly in the second half, we saw the arm talent that made him the #2 pick.  The TD throw after the Brown burping was exciting and encouraging.  But I also thought that a magical, mystical force kept him on the field instead of heading to the tent for evaluation after the burping head bounce (hey fellas, where was the "burping" flag?).  I note that magical, mystical forces tend to abandon you when you need them. 

We know Voldemort is going to go after Zack.  We also know the offensive line has less than one half of play together.  The rookie guard - AVT - took the field with two weeks of practice and zero preseason.   Last week's protection breakdowns were both mental and physical.  We are not ready for New England.  Maybe later in the year when we have eliminated the mental errors and our 1s have had time to play together. 

The second half last week reminded me of when Baker Mayfield made his debut in the second half against us and kicked our ass.  I remembered thinking, "I wish my rookie QB had done that".  Last week, Zack gave us that glimpse.  But I also saw him getting popped. 

Let's run a conservative game plan until we can take off the training wheels without getting Zack killed.   I remind everybody that Ourlads warned that Zack should hold the clipboard for a year.  They sat Pat Mahomes and Ourlads said the same about him.

I think that we all sense that the Jets need to be careful with Zack.

The Jets might beat the Pats, but nobody is going to out cheat New England. 

Or chop blocks.

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

He got hurt due too poor play inside.  I do think the knee is worse than they are letting on.  We shall see. 

I get that but we all knew it was going to happen to him. I knew after I saw his cool training  video and a poster  asked me,” Crusher, still think he’s soft now?” I did. Bad luck I guess, but a lot of it, it seems. We could blame the training staff for not getting him two  of those fancy/spancy knee braces college lineman wear. I blame everyone. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

crusher was already convinced he was a softie. This happening only feeds his preconceived notion. He may be right about him being soft but this injury would have happened to anyone and isn't because he's soft.

That’s correct. 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I get that but we all knew it was going to happen to him. I knew after I saw his cool training  video and a poster  asked me,” Crusher, still think he’s soft now?” I did. Bad luck I guess, but a lot of it, it seems. We could blame the training staff for not getting him two  of those fancy/spancy knee braces college lineman wear. I blame everyone. 

See?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It's a known fact that the bigger the pussy you are, the more likely freak injuries will happen to you. It's been proven that high levels of testosterone can actually prevent and reduce the severity of injuries. Pure testosterone can even be the difference between a bullet piercing your heart, resulting in your death, and reflecting off your ribcage back at the shooter, killing them and making you a hero. It's science.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's a known fact that the bigger the pussy you are, the more likely freak injuries will happen to you. It's been proven that high levels of testosterone can actually prevent and reduce the severity of injuries. Pure testosterone can even be the difference between a bullet piercing your heart, resulting in your death, and reflecting off your ribcage back at the shooter, killing them and making you a hero. It's science.

“Watch it fellas, that Beaver  is jam pack full of science!”

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

And they do the same on the defensive side by coaching their DBs to be particularly physical with the other team’s receivers, daring the refs to call defensive holding or PI on every passing down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Talking Episode 7 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't even think holding every play wouldn't have helped much last week. Most of the pressure came from not knowing who or where to block. A lot of miscommunication, lack of communication type pressures. That's why I'm not so worried ... yet - these are things that can be cleaned up.

if this is true - and im not so sure it looked like alot of the pressure came from guys getting beat - but I am optomistic that it can be cleaned up. the talent is there on the line they just need to learn to play togehter and build that wall. If zach gets time he can owrk.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying 1 game - it's been two years.  These are the same guys, making the same mistakes.

Fant, McGovern, GVR are the consistent problems.

and now we're adding in a rookie and a guy that couldn't beat out George Fant.

I mean, it IS a brand new and complex blocking scheme.  So, yeah, it kind of is just 1 game.  I get that these are supposed to be professional, veteran offensive linemen out there, but zone blocking is definitely not easy to grasp out of the gates.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...