Zach Wilson’s Debut

Mark78

19 hours ago, Lith said:

The fact that he came back on the very next play and threw the TD into a very tight window to Dvis was probably his most impressive sequence in that game, imo.

Agreed, that showed that getting hit and having pain i.e the wind knocked out of him has no bearing affect on how he executes since he appears to filter things like that out mentally. Like you said after that and that perfect pass for a TD to Davis was very impressive. Put it this way, that sequence of events could not have been done by Darnold, but then again, even without getting hit I had never seen Darnold throw that type of pass since he just doesn't have the ability to do so.

18 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

Yeah JT didn't like it but damn it any blitz will get through. That is some easy to beat pass protection.  The system might not be good.   I hope they can fix it without killing the new QB 1st.  

Part of it and for any O is you generally are going to see much of that type of fierce pass rushing when an O only runs for 45 yards for the entire game. That allows pass rushers to pin their ears back and not have to honor the run since they know it isn't a threat. hopefully that improves as you have to have the team/O rush as a whole for 100+ yards to prevent that type of thing from occurring as badly as we saw it. 

5 hours ago, Wit said:

The most upsetting issue here is that this entire season is about developing Zach. Every dollar should have been spent on oline. Every draft pick should have been o line. This entire season should have been about Zach learning the speed if the game in an offense run for his safety and progress. 

We should get better there, as these Olineman should not be horrible once they gel with the scheme and each other more. 

18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Nice watch.  ZW’s release is a thing of beauty.  He makes those shortstop throws, avoiding the double play break up slide and slingin’ it on a rope to first.

Such a natural thrower of the football.  And he showed balls.  If this stupid franchise doesnt eff this up… the Jets are in business with this kid.

Agreed. 

but such a big IF, unfortunately 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Facts said:

He was … not good.

I get that it was his first game, so i’m not freaking out, but how anyone saw that game and came away saying “he looked good” is beyond me.

The First half of the game, yes he didnt look good because he was under 100% duress. Second half though, the guy was money. Anyone who was not excited watching him pick up his play in the second half must have been watching a different game than I was. 

ZW has a way higher ceiling than Sam. Sam's ceiling was this game, ZW's ceiling is higher and broader. We will see how ZW lights someone up, I cant wait for that day. 

LL

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Matt LaFleur might have a case of imposter syndrome - the play design throughout this whole segment is all over-engineered. I see it with new hires, over-complicating work to showcase and validate being hired.

I think a week of film study might help calm thus down. I hope.

I thought LaFleur was horrific on Sunday. No bootlegs to take advantage of Wilson's mobility. Asking a rookie in his first NFL game to make full scan reads instead of giving him easier half field reads. The ongoing Mims drama. Color me not impressed. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

How can anyone watch him and think he was bad? You could make a solid argument he was the best player on the field

I don’t understand how you can even type those words.

He was objectively bad. With 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, I remember a graphic popping up saying that he had 60 total passing yards.

60 yards… In nearly 3 quarters of play!

He had the awful INT, and he should have had a second to that same player. Remember the guy dropping that second INT?

Then with 3 minutes to go and down two scores, he throws three 2 yard (or less) passes in a row. Finally he figured out that he needs to actually move the ball down the field and threw a couple longer ones, but that was pure garbage time. 

For goodness sake, 90 of the kids 190 total yards came in the last 3 minutes and 30 seconds of the game, when it was already out of reach. 

I’m not saying he’s a bust or anything, but he was bad on Sunday.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Latinlawyer said:

The First half of the game, yes he didnt look good because he was under 100% duress. Second half though, the guy was money. Anyone who was not excited watching him pick up his play in the second half must have been watching a different game than I was. 

ZW has a way higher ceiling than Sam. Sam's ceiling was this game, ZW's ceiling is higher and broader. We will see how ZW lights someone up, I cant wait for that day. 

LL

Second half…

First drive: 3 plays, -2 yards, PUNT

Second drive: 3 plays, 2 yards, PUNT

Third drive: 8 plays, 70 yards, TD

Fourth drive: 4 plays, 2 yards, PUNT

Then came the garbage time TD drive when we were down TWO scores. Darnold had PLENTY of those garbage time drives. 

• Thumb Down 1

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Matt LaFleur might have a case of imposter syndrome - the play design throughout this whole segment is all over-engineered. I see it with new hires, over-complicating work to showcase and validate being hired.

I think a week of film study might help calm thus down. I hope.

My biggest concerns about this team is the OL not ruining Wilson for 2022 and Mike LeFleur.  

The defense was well coached.  The offense was not. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Second half…

Then came the garbage time TD drive when we were down TWO scores. Darnold had PLENTY of those garbage time drives. 

So you are ignoring the drops and the pressure cause they don't fit your agenda? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

So you are ignoring the drops and the pressure cause they don't fit your agenda? 

I also think the late TD did not feel like garbage time. An on sides kick is hard to execute, but there was a legitimate chance of winning that game. It felt like a clutch drive and that Zach and the offense had set us up for a chance at the on sides.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I immediately turned to my wife and said he was out for the season and she was like, dude he’s getting up 

Slim I thought the same exact thing! That was a picture perfect sack if I ever saw one right through the middle of that sumbitch's chest!! Oof!!! Poor bastard! Enjoy the jello in the ER

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I also think the late TD did not feel like garbage time. An on sides kick is hard to execute, but there was a legitimate chance of winning that game. It felt like a clutch drive and that Zach and the offense had set us up for a chance at the on sides.

Teams are 0-104 in onside kicks since the NFL changed the onside kick rules.

The onside kick is dead.

It was a garbage time drive. One we saw Darnold do over and over and over again.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/28/nfl-teams-are-0-104-when-needing-an-onside-kick-in-last-two-years/

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Second half…

OCD is a bitch!

8 minutes ago, Facts said:

Teams are 0-104 in onside kicks since the NFL changed the onside kick rules.

The onside kick is dead.

It was a garbage time drive. One we saw Darnold do over and over and over again.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/28/nfl-teams-are-0-104-when-needing-an-onside-kick-in-last-two-years/

Cowboys Recover Onside Kick & Cap off EPIC Comeback! - YouTube

Nope. Not dead. Definitely hard to execute though. The report you cite is outdated and incorrect as of today.

When Zach let that last TD drive, no one was acting like it was garbage time. 

6 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Cowboys Recover Onside Kick & Cap off EPIC Comeback! - YouTube

Nope. Not dead. Definitely hard to execute though. The report you cite is outdated and incorrect as of today.

When Zach let that last TD drive, no one was acting like it was garbage time. 

Ok so 1 or 2 out of the last 100+ teams to try it, recovered it. Great. That makes it so much better. 

4 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

Don’t forget the incredible running game we had to take the pressure off of him.
When the rushing game is nonexistent, and there’s no pass protection, just exactly what are we expecting?  A 300 yard day in the air?

He did as well as we could hope for (in the second half).  His first half performance is a gimme IMO.  Give the kid 2 quarters to sort things out.

oh and it should be mentioned that he currently holds the Jets all time record for average passing yards per game.

;)

So, despite the mess the offense was, his passing yards were above average for any Jet QB.  Garbage time or not.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:47 PM, T0mShane said:

Pretty good. Put to rest a lot of fears I had about him. He was tough, accountable, and showed he could take a beating and not lose his sh*t for the rest of the game. I thought he’d be a twinkle-toes-ass bitch, but he fought to the end. 

He's a tough kid for someone from Utah.. Now just RUN the ball until we get a damn OLine to protect him. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, Claymation said:

The blocking by the interior OL leaves much to be desired. The way they were fooled by simple stunts is not close to being good enough. This crap needs to be fixed by the coaching staff.

Zach is fun to watch. I look forward to Elijah joining the party with Davis.

Yup.Kid looked great once he settled down. But the Fran Tarkenton act, while a lot of fun, is not a long term plan for success.  Need to have some semblance of a running game go keep defenses guessing. Not gonna last very long dropping back 40+ times a game. And if your running is from hunger, nobody cares about playaction. May be an image of 1 person, car and text

16 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

If Moore catches a bomb ball that practically hit him between the numbers on 3rd and long, might have been a very different game. As to garbage time, fair to note Panthers almost certianly figured there was no way the kid was going to come all the way back from a 16 point 2nd half lead. And then played it close to the vest. Still, he almsot did it. 

• Upvote 1