Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

4 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Let’s face it, Becton is a complete bust. He’s injury prone, overweight and lazy. He also struggles mightily against speed rushers. At best, he’s a starting right tackle who is good in the run game but gets hurt a lot. It was a big swing and miss for Douglas. Wirfs should have been the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

guy gets injured year 2 after getting his knee rolled up because the RG is terrible so he's a complete bust. my lord. 

This thread really has some of the worst takes.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Fant is a borderline starter/backup type guy. He's a much better backup tackle than we've had in the past - credit to Douglas for that.

Not too much credit. Backup tackles don’t carry $10MM cap numbers.

Starting at LT for a season, and generally doing a good job of keeping edge rushers off the QB, that money is about right after docking him points for his run blocking. 

And I’m still not getting why Fant should be so comparatively bleh in the running game. Maybe he’s just not that strong, I mean for a man his size; he’s huge, and far more massive than any ends or OLBs. I don’t know.

I’d still rather Douglas ponied up for Conklin, whom every late Feb/early March insider then-expected to sign here at upwards of $18-19MM/yr. Then Cleveland gets him for millions less per and there isn't any leak that the tackle-less Jets even made him an offer.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Make the hall of fame lmao. Let’s see what happens when he doesn’t have the goat qb in his corner who gets the ball out insanely fast. 

This 100%

Not saying Wirfs isn’t any good but when you don’t have to block for long periods of time o line tends to look much better. No better example than what Mike “ effing “ White is doing now in getting ball out faster  to make our o line look much better as opposed to Zach who was holding the ball too long 

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He got rolled on. That isn't injury prone, that is unlucky. 

Its an unlucky injury, but the problem is that the injuries keep happening and for a "4-8 week injury" he should be ready to return soon and it doesnt seem like that is the case.

I dont want to rush him either, as we have players filling in at a respectable level, but he needs to play at least 5/6 games this season to get reps for the future.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Its an unlucky injury, but the problem is that the injuries keep happening and for a "4-8 week injury" he should be ready to return soon and it doesnt seem like that is the case.

I dont want to rush him either, as we have players filling in at a respectable level, but he needs to play at least 5/6 games this season to get reps for the future.

I really don't  think we can say he keeps getting injured. Last year he was injured for a few weeks and got back on the field, this year I actually don't  even put this on him and I would be fine with him sitting as long as possible.  We need this guy to become a cornerstone LT. We don't  want to switch him to RT and start over and we don't  want to draft another LT because we have a slew of other needs. Just like Zach is learning from sitting, I'm sure Becton is too. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

guy gets injured year 2 after getting his knee rolled up because the RG is terrible so he's a complete bust. my lord. 

This thread really has some of the worst takes.

A bit like an insurance company claiming someone is accident prone because someone smashed into his car after running a stop sign.

I could see it if he was constantly getting injured in college. At this point he's had one injury as a rookie that I guess one could wonder was influenced by lack of training, itself following an almost non-existent TC due to covid.

But ok we've seen enough on his career. He doesn't have Fant's ability or durability or something, and we should move him to backup RG until his contract is up because Wirfs. It's not like Fant ever got injured here, nor ever missed a whole season in Seattle when he was supposed to start at LT himself.

Best thing for Becton may be seeing Fant not crapping the bed while he was out, if he only gets his job back if/after crushing it on the field in practice.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A bit like an insurance company claiming someone is accident prone because someone smashed into his car after running a stop sign.

I could see it if he was constantly getting injured in college. At this point he's had one injury as a rookie that I guess one could wonder was influenced by lack of training, itself following an almost non-existent TC due to covid.

But ok we've seen enough on his career. He doesn't have Fant's ability or durability or something, and we should move him to backup RG until his contract is up because Wirfs. It's not like Fant ever got injured here, nor ever missed a whole season in Seattle when he was supposed to start at LT himself.

Best thing for Becton may be seeing Fant not crapping the bed while he was out, if he only gets his job back if/after crushing it on the field in practice.

Good analogy.

If the type of stuff going on year 1 were going on again I'd be more apt to start leaning towards the injury prone label. I am not even saying he's NOT injury prone, just that this injury is not really telling either way. Maybe he is a big softee and will continue having y1 type crap keeping him off the field. Hopefully not, but we don't know either way yet IMO.

It is a bit concerning that he's at the tail end of the 4-8 weeks now and isn't back in practice. On the field with a trainer doing whatever that is in the video isn't much more than walking.

Giving up on Becton at this point is just weak sauce, SOJF garbage. The guy has all the potential in the world and played NFL starting quality LT last year with a lot of signs of being that guy. Losing him after 48 plays this year sucked big time. Can't wait to see him back on the field rag dolling NFL defenders again.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Some people are writing off a QB 5 games into his career, 3 of which were against the number 2, 5 and 11 pass defenses in football. 

This is Mike White's team.  The sooner you accept that, the easier things will be for you going forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

This is Mike White's team.  The sooner you accept that, the easier things will be for you going forward.
Child please. The worst scenario Zach can be in is that he has comptetion ... it will go to a competition before Zach is jetisoned.. Mike W. has a lot to prove ... but i like what i have seen ... if he is for real .. holy cow.

It could be Mike W for another year before Wilson takes over ... or he could grab the job and become 'the man' ... or he could sh*t the bed against buffalo and Zach could be back in a week or so.

Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Child please. The worst scenario Zach can be in is that he has comptetion ... it will go to a competition before Zach is jetisoned.. Mike W. has a lot to prove ... but i like what i have seen ... if he is for real .. holy cow.

It could be Mike W for another year before Wilson takes over ... or he could grab the job and become 'the man' ... or he could sh*t the bed against buffalo and Zach could be back in a week or so.

Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The Mike White Army cannot and will not be stopped.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

This 100%

Not saying Wirfs isn’t any good but when you don’t have to block for long periods of time o line tends to look much better. No better example than what Mike “ effing “ White is doing now in getting ball out faster  to make our o line look much better as opposed to Zach who was holding the ball too long 

Also this zone blocking does not play to his strength.  At least last year, they used more of a power running scheme and he was very effective in the run game.  

5 hours ago, CSNY said:

This 100%

Exactly people tend to overlook this. It helps the OL immensely. This was a major factor why the pats always had a top 5 rated OL. Sure they were good, but top 10 every year? That is due in large part to bradys fast decision making. 

19 hours ago, BP said:

With Becton I agree. But it just seems the whole team is not in very good shape. It’s been posted before, a comparison of the Jets and the Steelers training staff and it was a joke. The Jets were the joke, not the Steelers.

But such time and money needed to be devoted to color coordinating jerseys and pants, along with getting these new groovy Saskatchewan RRs kits over a simple classic they already had. Training? Staff? C'mon. Have you seen the black on black? So cool, all the kid..nah, nobody is buying it. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But such time and money needed to be devoted to color coordinating jerseys and pants, along with getting these new groovy Saskatchewan RRs kits over a simple classic they already had. Training? Staff? C'mon. Have you seen the black on black? So cool, all the kid..nah, nobody is buying it. 

Yep, woody is obsessed with the uniforms. Everything else is fodder 

If Becton ended up a good RT for the next 2-3 years that would still get this draft pick a solid B or better.  Starting decent LT B+ or better.  But we are already discussing moving him to RT. I would not pass over a better looking LT because we had Becton.  We wanted to pay $15mm+ for Conklin.  We can have two high draft picks playing T. 

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Some people are writing off a QB 5 games into his career, 3 of which were against the number 2, 5 and 11 pass defenses in football. 

I look at it more as people are "writing on" a QB who threw for 400+ yards in his first career start and was well on his way in his 2nd start.

• Haha 1