Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I have been told by an inside source that the Jets doctors are terrible.  They will switch back to HSS when the current contract is over. 

They have always been terrible. Going back to Dr. Elliot Pellman they’ve been horrendous in diagnosing, rehabilitating, and reintegrating (rush back too soon from injury) players since FOREVER! ☹️

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I blame JD myself. Why he didn't know ahead of the 2020 draft that Becton would get his leg rolled up on at some point is beyond belief. Don't these guys do their research?? 

:D  

Yes. But there's a reason you don't draft massive 370 pound O-linemen in the 1st round. These guys never stay healthy.

I love J.D., but he should've known better.

7 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Yes. But there's a reason you don't draft massive 370 pound O-linemen in the 1st round. These guys never stay healthy.

Depends if you think that this specific injury was caused by Becton's size, or the size of the guy that rolled over his leg. I agree that bigger guys will tend to get more of those niggling injuries, but this was a straightforward "football injury" that could happen to anyone IMHO.

Would Fant have been OK if it had been him that this happened to? Or Moses? Would either of those two have a quicker recovery time? I'm not seeing it to be honest.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I blame JD myself. Why he didn't know ahead of the 2020 draft that Becton would get his leg rolled up on at some point is beyond belief. Don't these guys do their research?? 

:D  

becton wasn't able to stay on the field consistently last year either. then he was hurt this summer and then he had a concussion and now he is out for 2 months. the kid can't stay healthy. and even when he is on the field he is a poor pass blocker

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t understand all the negative comments regarding Becton.

They guy got rolled over. It was a fluke injury and he’s lucky that it wasn’t more serious. Moses will do well filling in.

get over it everyone. Becton is the least of this team’s problems 

The GM swinging and missing big on a top 10 LT that was supposed to be one of the cornerstones of the rebuild is the least of the team’s problems? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

JD has done nothing to earn anyone’s love yet . He has a lot to prove , the 2020 draft may go down as one of the worst in team’s history. So far is no better than Dick Steinberg . 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, undertow said:

I like Becton and think he will be a good player for us but the days of not drafting a LT because we have him should be over.  

This is pretty much exactly where I am and I think a reasonable, middle of the road take that lines up with how the team should handle him moving forward. Becton’s talented and hopefully he gets things together and earns an extension but he’s not someone who should be relied upon short term or long term at this point. 

To be honest, I think they’re already there given the Moses signing and keeping Fant - how helpful are those decisions right now with a rookie QB and when’s the last time the Jets had tackle depth like this?

He’s already in a little trouble for the extension - banged up last year, inconsistent and now hurt this year. The team is going to want to see some consistency before they’re committed to him and he’s only got three years on the rookie deal to show the first two weren’t what he’ll be going forward.

I don’t think they’ll draft a first round tackle, though as mentioned by someone else earlier Neal is the guy this year (and also gigantic which is maybe a good thing maybe not). But bringing back Moses or Fant and drafting someone in the second or third round to provide depth and push guys would be prudent.

Don’t want to overreact to the line play after one game but they’ve got to protect the young QB. Didn’t think they were there yet which is why I thought taking one at 2 was risky, much as I love Wilson’s attitude and skill set.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, freestater said:

Pretty sure we need one of those too. Did you see the free runners coming off the right side?

We had a RT, and we needed a left one more.  Easy to sit on the sidelines and be an armchair GM.  It's also easy to suggest Wirfs would have stepped in here and righted the ship, when in fact, perhaps he did so well because he was playing on a team with an already good line and perhaps the greatest QB to ever play in the NFL behind him?

So, since Wirfs wasn't drafted, and playing Marvel's "What If" game is pointless, let's talk about the guy who was drafted. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

We had a RT, and we needed a left one more.  Easy to sit on the sidelines and be an armchair GM.  It's also easy to suggest Wirfs would have stepped in here and righted the ship, when in fact, perhaps he did so well because he was playing on a team with an already good line and perhaps the greatest QB to ever play in the NFL behind him?

So, since Wirfs wasn't drafted, and playing Marvel's "What If" game is pointless, let's talk about the guy who was drafted. 

JD sucks.  Will be gone in 2 years. Ditto for Saleh

wondering what the next regime will be.  Maybe Woody finally grows a brain and hires Harbaugh 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

we needed a lot of positions. it's about positional value. simple really.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

This is pretty much exactly where I am and I think a reasonable, middle of the road take that lines up with how the team should handle him moving forward. Becton’s talented and hopefully he gets things together and earns an extension but he’s not someone who should be relied upon short term or long term at this point. 

To be honest, I think they’re already there given the Moses signing and keeping Fant - how helpful are those decisions right now with a rookie QB and when’s the last time the Jets had tackle depth like this?

He’s already in a little trouble for the extension - banged up last year, inconsistent and now hurt this year. The team is going to want to see some consistency before they’re committed to him and he’s only got three years on the rookie deal to show the first two weren’t what he’ll be going forward.

I don’t think they’ll draft a first round tackle, though as mentioned by someone else earlier Neal is the guy this year (and also gigantic which is maybe a good thing maybe not). But bringing back Moses or Fant and drafting someone in the second or third round to provide depth and push guys would be prudent.

Don’t want to overreact to the line play after one game but they’ve got to protect the young QB. Didn’t think they were there yet which is why I thought taking one at 2 was risky, much as I love Wilson’s attitude and skill set.

This is a fair assessment.  Becton in college was a man playing with boys.  Becton in the pros is a man playing with men.  He isn't going to get buy on his size.  Having to work hard to block guys stronger than him will mean he needs strength, not just his weight.  If he doesn't buy into the need for a proper NFL weight conditioning program, he won't last.  But it's up to him.  And it will be up to the Jets to drill that into him.

I would think it would be prudent, since the Jets have 5 picks in the first three rounds, to draft another LT.  Doesn't hurt to show Becton he doesn't get a free ride, and doesn't hurt to have depth and a possible replacement, while sliding Becton to RT or the interior.  Would also be prudent to draft a center as well. 

• Upvote 2