Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

30 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The definition of injury prone is someone who is frequently injured. 

I would say in his first 2 seasons that label fits him like a glove.

Wrong.

Being injury prone means you are more susceptible to injuries where other players wouldn't typically be injured. Basically, you're soft. The injury that happened to Becton on Sunday would have injured any player in the NFL had they been in that position. It wasn't like he was blocking someone and his knee just gave out because he's soft. He had a 350 pound DT crash down and roll up on his knee.

That's not to say he's not soft or injury prone. Maybe he is - maybe he's not. I personally don't think we have enough evidence to make that declaration yet but I can say with certainty that the injury that happened Sunday did not happen because he's an injury prone player.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Barton said:

Beyond weird it was. There's something off with him mentally, IMO. 

He had a girlfriend when he was drafted.  Louisville basketball player.  I heard that they broke up, and I think that affected him.  One of his problems this year.

I think if you charted successful OL over time one trait that comes through his high intelligence.  Not a requirement, but an indicator.  I don’t know whether Becton has that.  It appeared to me that Wirfs was the much more focused professional.   Yes, he did not play LT per se, but we need good players.  

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

He had a girlfriend when he was drafted.  Louisville basketball player.  I heard that they broke up, and I think that affected him.  One of his problems this year.

I think if you charted successful OL over time one trait that comes through his high intelligence.  Not a requirement, but an indicator.  I don’t know whether Becton has that.  It appeared to me that Wirfs was the much more focused professional.   Yes, he did not play LT per se, but we need good players.  

No question Wirfs is more of a pro-at this point. Also more technically sound. Didnt know of the GF thing. 

55 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wrong.

Being injury prone means you are more susceptible to injuries where other players wouldn't typically be injured. Basically, you're soft. The injury that happened to Becton on Sunday would have injured any player in the NFL had they been in that position. It wasn't like he was blocking someone and his knee just gave out because he's soft. He had a 350 pound DT crash down and roll up on his knee.

That's not to say he's not soft or injury prone. Maybe he is - maybe he's not. I personally don't think we have enough evidence to make that declaration yet but I can say with certainty that the injury that happened Sunday did not happen because he's an injury prone player.

You are wrong and a simple google search would tell you that.

The LITERAL definition is someone who is frequently injured. 

injury-pronein British English

(ˈɪndʒərɪˌprəʊn)

ADJECTIVE

often sustaining injuries

injury-prone

idiom

Definition of injury-prone

: frequently injured

:an athlete who is injury-prone

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/injury-prone#:~:text=%3A frequently injured an athlete who is injury-prone

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The definition of injury prone is someone who is frequently injured. 

I would say in his first 2 seasons that label fits him like a glove.

That definition is incorrect. It’s simply  not right. 

Meckhi’s injuries are bad luck and not on him. His injuries aren’t due to an underlying impairment or previous injury which is more on par of the definition of being “Injury prone”

example: that guy who gets frequent hamstring strains because of poor soft tissue healing  from previous strains or poor hamstring strength/readiness for return to play.  Injury prone  

another example: Patellar dislocations/subluxations, often when you get one you are at increased likelihood to get another , if Meckhi has a repeated subluxation it’s likely because he is now prone to them since he got his first one. Or if Meckhi gets a left leg injury again and it can be attributed to poor MCL healing or residual weakness/poor readiness for return to play - that would be an injury that occurred because he is prone to it, at greater risk of it. 

His injuries so far have nothing to do with any underlying impairment or previous injury. So it’s premature to put that label on him. 

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Cartiledge cleanout on a 400 lbs frame ? This could end up a lingering nightmare that haunts him every year.

Fingers crossed it dosen't create some kind of bone on bone situatuon. Im not a dr. So what do i know ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you don't know the difference between 365 lbs and 400! :D  

26 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

That definition is incorrect. It’s simply  not right. 

Meckhi’s injuries are bad luck and not on him. His injuries aren’t due to an underlying impairment or previous injury which is more on par of the definition of being “Injury prone”

example: that guy who gets frequent hamstring strains because of poor soft tissue healing  from previous strains or poor hamstring strength/readiness for return to play.  Injury prone  

another example: Patellar dislocations/subluxations, often when you get one you are at increased likelihood to get another , if Meckhi has a repeated subluxation it’s likely because he is now prone to them since he got his first one. Or if Meckhi gets a left leg injury again and it can be attributed to poor MCL healing or residual weakness/poor readiness for return to play - that would be an injury that occurred because he is prone to it, at greater risk of it. 

His injuries so far have nothing to do with any underlying impairment or previous injury. So it’s premature to put that label on him. 

It is the literal dictionary definition.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

You are wrong and a simple google search would tell you that.

The LITERAL definition is someone who is frequently injured. 

injury-pronein British English

(ˈɪndʒərɪˌprəʊn)

ADJECTIVE

often sustaining injuries

injury-prone

idiom

Definition of injury-prone

: frequently injured

:an athlete who is injury-prone

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/injury-prone#:~:text=%3A frequently injured an athlete who is injury-prone

You can use this foolish definition or you can use your brain and think about it. When you label a player as injury prone the obvious implication is that their body is somehow faulty. 

Football is a contact sport with a 100% injury rate. Some players have a tendency to get injured more frequently than others in spots where it doesn't seem like they should. These are often soft tissue injuries. Those are injury prone players.

When a guy has happen to him what Becton had happen it's just plain bad luck and any player would have been injured in that spot, injury prone or not.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It is the literal dictionary definition.

Whatever you do for a living. Think of something (a concept/term whatever) that when ya look it up it doesn’t give the whole picture because the whole picture is more complicated than the quick and dirty explanation. 

I don’t need to argue a point that I know, I was stating the explanation to give insight because it’s in my line of work and hopefully it’s helpful. I’ll just see it my way and you can see it your way. NBD

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can use this foolish definition or you can use your brain and think about it. When you label a player as injury prone the obvious implication is that their body is somehow faulty. 

Football is a contact sport with a 100% injury rate. Some players have a tendency to get injured more frequently than others in spots where it doesn't seem like they should. These are often soft tissue injuries. Those are injury prone players.

When a guy has happen to him what Becton had happen it's just plain bad luck and any player would have been injured in that spot, injury prone or not.

He is too big for his own good and will likely have injury problems his whole career.

He is absolutely injury prone and his first 2 seasons are the proof.

But I am not expecting someone with him as their avatar to listen to reason about him.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Whatever you do for a living. Think of something (a concept/term whatever) that when ya look it up it doesn’t give the whole picture because the whole picture is more complicated than the quick and dirty explanation. 

I don’t need to argue a point that I know, I was stating the explanation to give insight because it’s in my line of work and hopefully it’s helpful. I’ll just see it my way and you can see it your way. NBD

Semantics aside, the guy has been constantly knicked up. If someone wants to blame it on his body or his luck in the end it doesn't matter because the results have been the same. His first 2 seasons in the league have been a disappointment at best and I dont think that is refutable.

The pick isnt looking good right about now. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He is too big for his own good and will likely have injury problems his whole career.

He is absolutely injury prone and his first 2 seasons are the proof.

But I am not expecting someone with him as their avatar to listen to reason about him.

Your definition of injury prone is just dumb. By your definition he is injury prone, but it's a meaningless label IMO. To me being injury prone is a label that means the player is "faulty" and more prone to getting injured than their peers. Every single LT in the league would have been injured on that play Sunday. No label necessary.

I am not ruling out that he's injury prone, I just don't believe there is enough evidence to come to that conclusion yet.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wrong.

As big as his legs are, they still have to support like 340 lbs. Too big for his own good.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

We are seeing it with Trent Brown.  Guys that big don’t hold up in the NFL.  

Jonathan Ogden did.  6-9, 345 lbs.  Only missed 4 games his first 8 seasons in the league.  He only started missing chunks of games after he turned 30. 

I know Ogden is very much the exception to the rule, but still.  He's an example of a durable giant.  

Wrong.
No one is saying its his fault ... we all feel bad for the kid ... but availability is huge ... how many games did Brick miss ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wrong.

Totally disagree, soft has nothing to do with it one way or the other.  If you are always getting hurt you are injury prone and so far he has been that, as the other poster said.  Multiple injuries last year, injury in camp then the big injury.  I would not say he is soft, but he gets hurt,... a lot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jonathan Ogden did.  6-9, 345 lbs.  Only missed 4 games his first 8 seasons in the league.  He only started missing chunks of games after he turned 30. 

I know Ogden is very much the exception to the rule, but still.  He's an example of a durable giant.  

Look at Ogden though. Looks like an Athlete at that weight. Not just a huge human

JOF_Web_2017_About_Jonathon_Headshot.png

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, genot said:

Look at Ogden though. Looks like an Athlete at that weight. Not just a huge human

JOF_Web_2017_About_Jonathon_Headshot.png

For sure.  He carried his weight better.  Plus he's 2 inches taller than Becton and is a bit lighter.  Just pointing out that not all huge NFL players have to have their knees turn to jell-o before they hit their mid-20s.

• Upvote 1

The “Becton’s weight causes injuries” stuff is bs.  Last season his injury during the season was a shoulder injury. (Aggravated by Gase playing him when he should have been OUT) Last I checked your shoulders don’t support your weight.  This current injury was caused by a 300 lb guy accidentally rolling onto his leg