Mims comp video and a plea.

Paradis

9 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Look at the Giants and Toney. 

That’s why the Jets are doing what they’re doing. They don’t want that sort of situation/player. 

what an awful/terrible reference to leverage into this discussion. No fcking relevance whatsoever. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeah no sht. But It’s not about what they can do it’s about how they’re acting. That’s the point of all this. 

no, it's the opposite. It's about what Toney can (or can't i should say) do. He should have been drafted in the 5th-6th round as a special teams/role player who sees 2-3 touches a game. Like i said, terrible reference and not relevant (as far as I'm concerned)

He may be pissed, but the reason he's not on the field isn't attitude related.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

what's your view on all this. I mean I've kind of put it together through posts here and there, but lets hear it. ?

I think Mims needs to work hard at getting the trust of the CS for some reason.  

In fact I think there is more to this than what Saleh spoke about the other day.

I find it hard to believe that a 6' 2" WR with that huge a catch radius who ran a 4.3 40 doesnt have a place on our team.  I dont think for a second its a system fit.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

In fact I think there is more to this than what Saleh spoke about the other day.

I find it hard to believe that a 6' 2" WR with that huge a catch radius who ran a 4.3 40 doesnt have a place on our team.  I dont think for a second its a system fit.  

This is about the most logical summary I've seen.  I just don't buy the "he needs to learn the route tree" or "he can't play the slot" arguments.  There's something more going on here.  JMO...

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This is about the most logical summary I've seen.  I just don't buy the "he needs to learn the route tree" or "he can't play the slot" arguments.  There's something more going on here.  JMO...

It isn't just the route tree.  They are option routes that rely on the WR and QB to read the D and alter the route based on specific cues.  It has to be done quickly and they have to be on the same page.  There is way more to it than rounding a break or going 9 steps instead of 10 on a comeback.   I don't know why people think WR is so easy but will be quick to accept that a QB can't read a D.  This O requires the WR to read the D too, in a more limited sense.   Somebody posted that Mims had 6 or 7 of these miscues in his limited camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Go on, you have my undivided attention. lol. 

I concur. I really hope its not an ego thing. I'm not close enough to vindicate either party - but that thing about the CS seeing him as Deebo had me--

200.gif

• Sympathy 1

This is all good and well.  He looks good in this video.  All 10 or 15 plays.

Let's say what the coach is implying is true, and he doesn't know the play book, would you be able to provide a video with missed assignments?  Is there such a thing?  

If what the coach is implying is true, and he is out there, is the QB going to trust him, or would we be essentially playing with 10 players on the field.

My arm chair evaluation, let the guy who knows the answer make the decision.  At least for a couple more games.

JMO

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Some guys are elite because of their route running/separation and some are elite because of their ability to make contested catches. Mims seems to win those 50/50 balls when given the chance. 

There are times Wilson will be in trouble and no one is open and a toss up to Mims deep would be far more productive long term than forcing one into the smaller guys like Crowder/mims. 
As for Hill, he couldn't catch when open and didn't win 50/50 balls and wasn't a great route runner. Meaning, he was just bad. I don't see that with Mims. Hopefully he gets his chances. 

Half of Wilson's BYU highlight real was tossing deep balls up for grabs. Mims would seem to be a great candidate for those type of plays, I'm not sure why they aren't trying them. 

• Upvote 3

Mims has ideal size. He has speed. He was productive in college.

Clearly there's a reason he fell to us where he did.

The idea that he has a bad attitude and isn't working hard isn't totally shocking, even if it's disappointing. I was high on the pick and am still hopeful he'll turn it around. But the plea shouldn't be to the Jets to just throw him out there regardless of whether he has his act together. It should be to him to be a professional and put in the work.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

maybe to someone who divides their time between golf and playing cribbage.

Toney's a gadget player and shares no relevant space with Mims.

Dude your highlights were 80% one type of pattern. 

Show me mims running the whole tree and making plays in all situations then you can not classify him as a gadget guy.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Half of Wilson's BYU highlight real was tossing deep balls up for grabs. Mims would seem to be a great candidate for those type of plays, I'm not sure why they aren't trying them. 

Those plays do happen in the NFL, but not as often as.  The D backs are much tighter in the NFL than in college. College receivers have much more room. So it's nice to have an NFL guy with size and arm radius, but he's got to have more skills than jump ball skills, like being able to run the right routes. 

In fact I can't think of many jump ball highlights I saw this last weekend (not saying there weren't any). In the NFL those are often hail mary type plays.

Mims speed and size are great, but they have to be coupled with the mental ability to make the right moves and get in sync with the QB and the play.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem with those highlights though some impressive plays is most off them were toss ups one on one man coverage to the sidelines.  Seems to be a lack of money maker 1st down routes.  Now is that mims fault?  Maybe not but you have to know and run good patterns all over the route tree and I suspect that is part of the problem.

Also as I said the other day you can't sprinkle in a guy on these type of plays because the Defense will know right away what the jets are running.

Mims career will go one of two ways, he learns, looks at a guy like Davis who started off slow in his career and now looks number one ish or he turns into Stephen Hill.

Yeah, was just gonna say that there didn't seem to be a lot of variety in his routes in those highlights. He also looks kinda slow to me. He probably has the best hands for a Jets receiver since Brandon Marshall, though. He's definitely exciting to watch, but he's not even close to being a dynamic playemaker right now. But, if Robby Anderson can do it...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Those plays do happen in the NFL, but not as often as.  The D backs are much tighter in the NFL than in college. College receivers have much more room. So it's nice to have an NFL guy with size and arm radius, but he's got to have more skills than jump ball skills, like being able to run the right routes. 

In fact I can't think of many jump ball highlights I saw this last weekend (not saying there weren't any). In the NFL those are often hail mary type plays.

Mims speed and size are great, but they have to be coupled with the mental ability to make the right moves and get in sync with the QB and the play.

Oh, I absolutely agree they don’t happen in the NFL nearly as often. That’s why I didn’t want to draft Wilson, but I’m not getting into that debate anymore at this stage.

20 hours ago, maury77 said:

Would love to know what video you were looking at.  The ones where half his passes were long and up for grabs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Oh, I absolutely agree they don’t happen in the NFL nearly as often. That’s why I didn’t want to draft Wilson, but I’m not getting into that debate anymore at this stage.

Well, it might be a win-win for you. If Wilson fails, you'll be able to say "I told you so." If he succeeds, you'll be able to say, "I'm glad I was wrong."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem with those highlights though some impressive plays is most off them were toss ups one on one man coverage to the sidelines.  Seems to be a lack of money maker 1st down routes.  Now is that mims fault?  Maybe not but you have to know and run good patterns all over the route tree and I suspect that is part of the problem.

Also as I said the other day you can't sprinkle in a guy on these type of plays because the Defense will know right away what the jets are running.

Mims career will go one of two ways, he learns, looks at a guy like Davis who started off slow in his career and now looks number one ish or he turns into Stephen Hill.

i doubt if he turns into stephen hill.  he showed too much for that last season.  but if what saleh says is true then he's got some work ahead to become the receiver he thinks he is.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i doubt if he turns into stephen hill.  he showed too much for that last season.  but if what saleh says is true then he's got some work ahead to become the receiver he thinks he is.

Mims had 1 more catch than hill in his 1st year, hill had 3 tds mims had zero.  Hill had more catches for 1st downs than mims (17 to 15)

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mims had 1 more catch than hill in his 1st year, hill had 3 tds mims had zero.  Hill had more catches for 1st downs than mims (17 to 15)

I think Mims will have far better career numbers than Hill when all is said and done. I am just not sure that those numbers will come with the Jets.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I think Mims will have far better career numbers than Hill when all is said and done. I am just not sure that those numbers will come with the Jets.

I agree but could with the jets too, imo we are just making too much out of this early season scenario.  He will get his chance at some point.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1