Mims comp video and a plea.

Paradis

2 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Well, it might be a win-win for you. If Wilson fails, you'll be able to say "I told you so." If he succeeds, you'll be able to say, "I'm glad I was wrong."

Now you get it. This is the calmest I’ve been as a Jets fan ever. Every week is a positive for me!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I would love to see him on the field more also. But if he is not up to speed on the playbook, and that shows itself in practice than Coach has to do what he feels is best for the TEAM not the player. Don’t get me wrong he has the Talent and athleticism and very good hands, tall ,fast he has got the goods, by all accounts if he focuses on what he needs to do mentally he will be in there consistently. Can’t wait till that happens because he is a Beast. Until than we gotta see how this plays out

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Something tells In Gase's system Mims didn't have to do anything complex almost streetball "do a down and out" ,,"go long" type of thing,, While in Lafleur's is more complex and Mims just isn't picking it up fast enough and missed alot of time in TC . But for guys acting like he's the next coming of Antonio Brown is just dumb.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Why are fans so much smarter than them? If the coaches get it wrong, they're fired, they have to move their families. NFL coaching pays .

I just don't think the coaches are idiots for not playing him more. Even though some of the experts in Jet Nation disagree.

those are the Quotes of the year. 

Saleh has been in the NFL for 16 years. he sees these players EVERYDAY. but some fans who see them a fraction of the time on TV for 30-40 years know better.

were already giving him the Gase treatment after one game, treating him like he doesn't know what hes doing for sitting a 2nd rd pick. if he was a 6th rd pick nobody would care.

there is more to this story then Saleh is telling us.

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know - topic is beaten worse than a teenager’s palm. Just came across this and wanted to share. 

frankly I don’t care anymore why, just please Saleh/LaFleur - let’s get this thing figured out and forget that someone wanted him to Deebo (lol I can’t even)

Are these highlights from actual games or from Madden 2020? Sign this beast!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

those are the Quotes of the year. 

Saleh has been in the NFL for 16 years. he sees these players EVERYDAY. but some fans who see them a fraction of the time on TV for 30-40 years know better.

were already giving him the Gase treatment after one game, treating him like he doesn't know what hes doing for sitting a 2nd rd pick. if he was a 6th rd pick nobody would care.

there is more to this story then Saleh is telling us.

Exactly. The coaches have already said he's been behind and is just getting up to speed. It could be that there are huge glaring issues with his preparation or ability to absorb the offense, but Saleh and LaFleur aren't going to throw him under the bus, rather they are going to say "he's getting better," even if he's a head case (not that I'm saying he's a head case).

Have you noticed this coaching staff is very positive and quick to complement players that are the right kind of guys and have the inner drive they like? The coaches have not said anything bad about Mims, but why isn't he getting comments about his study habits, or his drive, or his professionalism, or the way he goes about his business?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

This is about the most logical summary I've seen.  I just don't buy the "he needs to learn the route tree" or "he can't play the slot" arguments.  There's something more going on here.  JMO...

It's something mysterious. There has to be a reason why he dropped like a hot potato in the draft.  Is it the Geno curse?  Mims was projected to go 1st round and one of the top 3 wr's to go off the board.  Obviously something leaked.  He seemed to have a really strange aura about him at home when the Jets finally chose him.  He seemed aloof and disinterested when his name was called.  I think you just throw him into the fire, ready or not. He needs experience, reps, time to feel his way around the league.  This is beyond stupid to keep him on the bench. Someone said it earlier:  theyr'e starting all these other rookies who are 4th/5th round picks and sitting Mims so guys like Berrios and Cole can play? WTF. Now Crowder is back, a guy who definitely wont be on this team next year, so Mims takes yet a seat farther away on the bench.  WTF.  

• Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Exactly. The coaches have already said he's been behind and is just getting up to speed. It could be that there are huge glaring issues with his preparation or ability to absorb the offense, but Saleh and LaFleur aren't going to throw him under the bus, rather they are going to say "he's getting better," even if he's a head case (not that I'm saying he's a head case).

Have you noticed this coaching staff is very positive and quick to complement players that are the right kind of guys and have the inner drive they like? The coaches have not said anything bad about Mims, but why isn't he getting comments about his study habits, or his drive, or his professionalism, or the way he goes about his business?

Saleh is navigating thru his first sh*t storm. he is going to wish he was back in SF after he sees what a big deal the media will make of this.

cause they havent even started yet.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mims not starting is not a "sh*tstorm" of any kind.

And I doubt he'll regret taking the job over Mims.

Saleh would have never talked about it if the media didnt start to ask. now there talking about in the papers, on twitter. its a story.

and unless someone gets hurt or he learns the entire playbook in 7 days he wont play much if at all with Crowder and Cole back.

if we lose Saleh will have to answer 3-4 questions as to why we didnt see Mims. and the story continues during the week. you know the NY media is not going to let this go. they are going to keep digging into this story.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mims had 1 more catch than hill in his 1st year, hill had 3 tds mims had zero.  Hill had more catches for 1st downs than mims (17 to 15)

mims and hill are pretty close as players at this stage.  mims has a better catch percentage.  let's hope mims doesn't become one of the long line of jets second round receiver (and player) busts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Mims not starting is not a "sh*tstorm" of any kind.

And I doubt he'll regret taking the job over Mims.

A player (any player, any position) that cannot execute to the precision of the expectations of the  coaching staff, and then responds poorly to being "coached up" is hardly newsworthy. It happens to talented players all over. 

You don't make better players by excusing lapses and rewarding them with more play time. You help make them a better player by communicating expectations to them, then hoping they grasp those.

Frankly, I can't recall the last time the Jets dealt with a player with talent in this manner. Here's hoping it works for both sides.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, doitny said:

Saleh would have never talked about it if the media didnt start to ask. now there talking about in the papers, on twitter. its a story.

and unless someone gets hurt or he learns the entire playbook in 7 days he wont play much if at all with Crowder and Cole back.

if we lose Saleh will have to answer 3-4 questions as to why we didnt see Mims. and the story continues during the week. you know the NY media is not going to let this go. they are going to keep digging into this story.

Personally, I think you over-value the power and effect of the media. 

If a few questions from the drama-queen NY Sports "media" about Mims breaks Saleh, then he was never the right guy to start with.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I think you over-value the power and effect of the media. 

If a few questions from the drama-queen NY Sports "media" about Mims breaks Saleh, then he was never the right guy to start with.

you could be right. not everybody is cut out for this city.

i just read that Saleh cant commit to weather Mims will even be activated on Sunday.

some guys on this board are gonna flip if that happens.. lol

12 minutes ago, doitny said:

i just read that Saleh cant commit to weather Mims will even be activated on Sunday.

That would be really funny: the "experts" on this board out flipping over coaches trying to do the best for the team just because Mims runs fast. Then all the reasonable people on this board, who know these coaches aren't idiots, can waste more time trying to talk sense. The Mims debate is so ridiculous that it's enjoyable to read comments if you have nothing else to do.

BUT . . . The problem with not playing/activating Mims: We lose trade value. We should get that dude out the door for a 4th or 5th rounder sooner than later. JD can play it like he loves Mims but that the trade was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

I'm thinking if they lose and Mims didnt play, other than asking why he didnt play once, was he injured type question.

And then that'll be it.  No one will think we lost because Mims didnt play

33 minutes ago, doitny said:

So I keep hearing, from NY'ers. 

Why should he commit just because some media schmuck asked the question?

So what?  Some guys here flip no matter what happens, lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

That would be really funny: the "experts" on this board out flipping over coaches trying to do the best for the team just because Mims runs fast. Then all the reasonable people on this board, who know these coaches aren't idiots, can waste more time trying to talk sense. The Mims debate is so ridiculous that it's enjoyable to read comments if you have nothing else to do.

BUT . . . The problem with not playing/activating Mims: We lose trade value. We should get that dude out the door for a 4th or 5th rounder sooner than later. JD can play it like he loves Mims but that the trade was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

im thinking they know Mims isnt good. or has a bag attitude. they seen something last year off the field that we couldn't.

Mims is an outside receiver right? i get the Davis signing but why sign Cole? if you know Mims is so good he shouldn't have had no challenge for that 2 spot.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Current state of the Denzel Mims debate.  Film at 11...

Untitled11.jpg

If you want Zach to succeed you should root for Mims to get a shot to play.  Zach’s accuracy on throwing to deep routes is the best part of his game and that’s Mims’ specialty

Lefleur was trying to do way too much dink and dunk last Sunday 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

im thinking they know Mims isnt good. or has a bag attitude. they seen something last year off the field that we couldn't.

Mims is an outside receiver right? i get the Davis signing but why sign Cole? if you know Mims is so good he shouldn't have had no challenge for that 2 spot.

The Cole signing was dumb

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Huh....Who would have thought talent meant crap.  I could have SWORE that is what we were looking for.  

Maybe its time we change direction again as a franchise.

You're right, but Peyton Manning type talent: Good physical skills, better mental skills, better preparation and study skills.

Not Ryan Leaf type talent: Good physical skills, but poor in attitude, poor in preparation, poor in attitude and professionalism.  

On 9/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I sure hope this coaching staff ignores all of the expertise coming from the media and fans. I like Mims, but the coaching staff isn't trying to lose, they're trying to put the players on the field that give this team the best chance of winning.

Denzel Mims played 2 snaps and yet finished 3rd on the team in receiving yardage last week.  Berrios was on the field much of the day, was targeted 7 times, caught 5x as many balls as Mims and yet only had 11 more yards than him (I like Berrios, but I'm just saying).  You really don't think Mims can help this team win more than he can hurt us?  C'mon.

Like I said in another thread:  I don't think anyone here, even @Paradis, is saying Mims necessarily has to be immediately inserted into the starting lineup.  But he does need a sizable number of snaps.  Use him as a deep threat when plays are designed for him or as a decoy when they're not.  Use him as a downfield blocker on run plays (if we ever break a nice run this century, that is).  I don't care.  He needs to be out there, even if his role makes him a WR3/WR4 for now.  Meanwhile, continue to stress to him in practice that he needs to continue to get better at his craft and learn all of the WR positions in order to earn more snaps and/or a starting WR spot.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:31 PM, jetspenguin said:

Did anyone notice.....not one broken tackle.

I also saw a giant, fast receiver with good hands.

F**k broken tackles.  What's more valuable:  Berrios, Crowder, or Cole breaking a tackle to extend a 12-yard catch to 18 yards?  Or Denzel Mims catching 30+ yard bombs (or drawing deep PI flags)?

On 9/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, CanadaSteve said:

Um...so if Zach Wilson's development > everything.  Period; wouldn't it make sense to put Mims in to help Zach's development by having competent players out there to throw to?

Right?  Wilson had 20 % of his catchable passes dropped by receivers last week and Jets fans be like "MIMS IS WAY BEHIND THE OTHA RECEIVAS"

• Haha 1