Mims comp video and a plea.

Paradis

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He needs to be out there, even if his role makes him a WR3/WR4 for now.  Meanwhile, continue to stress to him in practice that he needs to continue to get better at his craft and learn all of the WR positions in order to earn more snaps and/or a starting WR spot.

I don't disagree with your take. He was in a WR 3/4 role last game. The issue was the offense never sustained many drives where coaches were subbing in and out receivers b/c starters were running and blocking a lot. If the blocking and running game gets going this week, you'll see more receivers on the field (with Crowder and Cole coming back I'm not sure what that means for Mims and Berrios). 

I think Mims produced last week. He played. As for Berrios, I believe he made some plays in a slot role that Crowder might have been filling if he was in.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I don't get why people are throwing the "you can't coach 4.3, 6'3"" stuff out there. Jamarcus Russel was a physical juggernaut, Vince Young was physically talented.  

Both of those are QB's.  Obviously physical talent is meaningless if a QB can't process the field or make accurate throws, while some of the best QB's of all-time lacked athleticism.

Can you think of a WR with Mims' size/speed/hands combo who was NOT successful at WR?

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he does need a sizable number of snaps. 

He needs to be out there

Says who? Fans.

The coaches have seen Mims in practice, they've seen him in the film room and meetings where his mind needs to engage, they've seen his preparation, they've seen his desire and drive, they've seen what gray matter he has, they've seen how he's absorbing the scheme and play book.

Let the coaches decide if he needs to be out there more. Or let him earn it. If he wants it, let Mims get it. Heck, I think he's 6'3" and runs a 4.3, or at least I've seen endless comments stating that. With that talent, he doesn't need anyone on this board defending him. This coaching staff loves character and players who earn it. Mims playing time is in Mims' hands. 

What if the coaches are realizing other players getting need more snaps than him in order to move the whole team in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I don't disagree with your take. He was in a WR 3/4 role last game. The issue was the offense never sustained many drives where coaches were subbing in and out receivers b/c starters were running and blocking a lot. If the blocking and running game gets going this week, you'll see more receivers on the field (with Crowder and Cole coming back I'm not sure what that means for Mims and Berrios). 

I think Mims produced last week. He played. As for Berrios, I believe he made some plays in a slot role that Crowder might have been filling if he was in.

Well, I kind of mean that Mims will fill in for Davis when he's tired AND will also come in for a handful of plays here and there when we need a deep threat, decoy, run blocker, etc.  Let's say, increase his snap count to about 10-12 next week and go from there.  That's what I'd like to see.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Both of those are QB's.  Obviously physical talent is meaningless if a QB can't process the field or make accurate throws, while some of the best QB's of all-time lacked athleticism.

Can you think of a WR with Mims' size/speed/hands combo who was NOT successful at WR?

I'm pretty sure there are many WR busts through the years.

Here's an old article, I'm sure there are more. Please don't make me go do a bunch of research. Mims size and speed doesn't mean he can absorb the playbook. Maybe he can.

Too Far Wide: Top 10 NFL Wide Receiver Busts of the Last Decade | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Top 15 Biggest Wide Receiver Flops In NFL History (thesportster.com)

3 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Says who? Fans.

The coaches have seen Mims in practice, they've seen him in the film room and meetings where his mind needs to engage, they've seen his preparation, they've seen his desire and drive, they've seen what gray matter he has, they've seen how he's absorbing the scheme and play book.

But they, like the rest of us, also saw him on the field last Sunday, when he played 2 snaps and still finished 3rd on the team in receiving while the rest of the receiving corps struggled to hold onto the ball.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, I kind of mean that Mims will fill in for Davis when he's tired AND will also come in for a handful of plays here and there when we need a deep threat, decoy, run blocker, etc.  Let's say, increase his snap count to about 10-12 next week and go from there.  That's what I'd like to see.

If the offense can sustain drives, I think you'll see this, or you'll see plays with more guys that emphasize their attributes also. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But they, like the rest of us, also saw him on the field last Sunday, when he played 2 snaps and still finished 3rd on the team in receiving while the rest of the receiving corps struggled to hold onto the ball.  

He had a good play where he got behind the defense. It was a good call at the right time. I watched the game, it was mostly a hot mess for our OL and even for Zach at times. There was no where else in the game where that play would have worked.

He finished 3rd with yards b/c he had a big play. I'm confused why that statistic should influence the coaches decision in any way. I certainly hope our coaches aren't that dumb. We're dead if that's the case.

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

He had a good play where he got behind the defense. It was a good call at the right time. I watched the game, it was mostly a hot mess for our OL and even for Zach at times. There was no where else in the game where that play would have worked.

He finished 3rd with yards b/c he had a big play. I'm confused why that statistic should influence the coaches decision in any way. I certainly hope our coaches aren't that dumb. We're dead if that's the case.

Don't forget he only played 2 snaps.  So 2 times on the field and 1 he made a big play.  Pretty efficient on a very inefficient day for the offense as a whole.  Considering we were desperate for some offense that day I'd say its meaningful to the coaches, or should be.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Denzel Mims played 2 snaps and yet finished 3rd on the team in receiving yardage last week.  Berrios was on the field much of the day, was targeted 7 times, caught 5x as many balls as Mims and yet only had 11 more yards than him (I like Berrios, but I'm just saying).  You really don't think Mims can help this team win more than he can hurt us?  C'mon.

Like I said in another thread:  I don't think anyone here, even @Paradis, is saying Mims necessarily has to be immediately inserted into the starting lineup.  But he does need a sizable number of snaps.  Use him as a deep threat when plays are designed for him or as a decoy when they're not.  Use him as a downfield blocker on run plays (if we ever break a nice run this century, that is).  I don't care.  He needs to be out there, even if his role makes him a WR3/WR4 for now.  Meanwhile, continue to stress to him in practice that he needs to continue to get better at his craft and learn all of the WR positions in order to earn more snaps and/or a starting WR spot.

I've made some accusatory remarks about the staff and such - but the only thing i've said about Mims in terms what I believe is simply that the coaching staff need to change up their approach. There isn't a stone table for success in the manner you inspire/coach/coax talent. Players respond differently to different styles. The same strong armed tactic might make a all star out of one, and couch surfing bust out of another.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've made some accusatory remarks about the staff and such - but the only thing i've said about Mims in terms what I believe is simply that the coaching staff need to change up their approach. There isn't a stone table for success in the manner you inspire/coach/coax talent. Players respond differently to different styles. The same strong armed tactic might make a all star out of one, and couch surfing bust out of another.

One thing's for sure in my mind:  Either Mims will succeed here or he'll succeed on his next team (a rarity for so many former Jets, who rarely succeed anywhere after busting here).  I don't see him as a couch surfing bust by any means.

We need to eventually figure it out within this season or next OR trade him.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, jetspenguin said:

Did anyone notice.....not one broken tackle..that's why he isn't playing. Doesn't know the scheme and the extra effort Saleh wants Mims isn't giving.

And I'm a Mims supporter. I just dont see the extra effort and desire to be the best.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

yes, there seems to be a "softness" about him after the catch is made

4 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

yes, there seems to be a "softness" about him after the catch is made

Can you point out some plays where this was the case or are you just making this up?  Or are you still on the "that 40-yard catch should have been him fighting for a TD" train that's completely dumb?

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can you point out some plays where this was the case or are you just making this up?  Or are you still on the "that 40-yard catch should have been him fighting for a TD" train that's completely dumb?

1st, look at how he ends the plays in the compilation that I refered to, posted by another member. 

2nd, i didnt mean to hurt your feelings, i didnt know you were emotionally connected to that player

37 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

1st, look at how he ends the plays in the compilation that I refered to, posted by another member. 

2nd, i didnt mean to hurt your feelings, i didnt know you were emotionally connected to that player

I like players who I believe can help the Jets win football games, yes.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:34 PM, Alentador31 said:

You aren't showing anything that people don't know. He's obviously talented but if you haven't figured it out....Zach Wilson's development > everything. Period. 

"We destroyed Sam because he had no weapinz!! He couldn't develop!!"

"We will make the new guy throw to lesser receivers on the roster because we need to develop him!!"

years khan GIF