What if the Jets actually do win at home against the Pats on Sunday?

Nixhead

7 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Yeah, it would be amazing. But it's close to a physical impossibility, I'm pretty sure. Psychological impossibility, too. Unless you can remember a rookie QB who beat Belichick the first time he ever faced him?

Mac Jones looked great, and Pats have way more weapons on O and D to beat us badly. They would have to play like garbage, and commit a bunch of penalties and turnovers to lose to the Jets. I think we all know that just won't happen.

We have no O-line, no running game, no TEs, no pass rush and a patchwork LB core/secondary. I see it as an unwinnable game, but maybe it's a low-scoring slop fest that we steal on a late field goal?

My guess is 

Patriots 27

Jets 17

Sounds about right 

Just now, kdels62 said:

So to be clear, based on 1 game a source within the building discussed the possibility that Elijah Moore might be a weekday warrior with the coaching staff. That source then told a beat writer about this and then that beat writer told you about it instead of writing an article that would get monster clicks. You then broke the confidence of your mentor and posted the info on the most active fan message board on the internet. I buy it.

Lolololol!

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So to be clear, based on 1 game a source within the building discussed the possibility that Elijah Moore might be a weekday warrior with the coaching staff. That source then told a beat writer about this and then that beat writer told you about it instead of writing an article that would get monster clicks. You then broke the confidence of your mentor and posted the info on the most active fan message board on the internet. I buy it.

I can't guess at what takes priority with posts and this was a pretty casual brunch conversation without anything being expressly described as "off-the-record".  I obviously won't disclose who my mentor is, or try to guess at the contents of his upcoming blogs or articles.  It could be that there wasn't enough sourcing to merit an article at this point.  

In any event, I think I've emphasized that this was casual and haven't tried to convince anyone that I have first hand "scoops" here.  I'm not trying to do an IncarcertatedBob thing.  Even at the reporter level you have to suss out noise, right?  So for all I know he got the information from a players' agent that is trying to make noise for different talent. 

Separately, an ethos that was instilled in me by my mentor is that, as a journalist, your first obligation is to the truth.  So I (truthfully) relayed bits of what I was told and included caveats where appropriate to avoid seeming incendiary.  Honestly, I am sure that my mentor has access to much more confidential materials that he simply wouldn't tell me because you don't become one of the longest tenured beat reporters being a gossip to unimportant (former) students like me...

Edit:  I think you might be overstating the importance of "monster clicks" to real journalists.  You want to have consistent traffic by being a reliable source of news, that is how you maintain longevity and credibility in this industry.  We've seen people flame out chasing the dragon of monster clicks.  

2 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I can't guess at what takes priority with posts and this was a pretty casual brunch conversation without anything being expressly described as "off-the-record".  I obviously won't disclose who my mentor is, or try to guess at the contents of his upcoming blogs or articles.  It could be that there wasn't enough sourcing to merit an article at this point.  

In any event, I think I've emphasized that this was casual and haven't tried to convince anyone that I have first hand "scoops" here.  I'm not trying to do an IncarcertatedBob thing.  Even at the reporter level you have to suss out noise, right?  So for all I know he got the information from a players' agent that is trying to make noise for different talent. 

Separately, an ethos that was instilled in me by my mentor is that, as a journalist, your first obligation is to the truth.  So I (truthfully) relayed bits of what I was told and included caveats where appropriate to avoid seeming incendiary.  Honestly, I am sure that my mentor has access to much more confidential materials that he simply wouldn't tell me because you don't become one of the longest tenured beat reporters being a gossip to unimportant (former) students like me...

I personally love the sprinkling of information that makes it clear who your mentor is without saying who your mentor is. So subtle.

59 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

Yeah, it would be amazing. But it's close to a physical impossibility, I'm pretty sure. Psychological impossibility, too. Unless you can remember a rookie QB who beat Belichick the first time he ever faced him?

Mac Jones looked great, and Pats have way more weapons on O and D to beat us badly. They would have to play like garbage, and commit a bunch of penalties and turnovers to lose to the Jets. I think we all know that just won't happen.

We have no O-line, no running game, no TEs, no pass rush and a patchwork LB core/secondary. I see it as an unwinnable game, but maybe it's a low-scoring slop fest that we steal on a late field goal?

My guess is 

Patriots 27

Jets 17

Mark Sanchez says hello.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

This all sounds….ugh bad 

Sounds about what you’d expect in a circumstance like this. Don’t forget how bad and for how long we were. It wasn’t by mistake. 

Things were run so poorly here that when someone comes in and tries to do it the right way, its a shock. It takes time. The whole “first 8 weeks” portion of that post hits it right on the head. You pretty much hope to have your full installs on both sides of the ball by then, while able to adjust to the opponent. 

That’s when you hope to see real progress and things start clicking. Anyone who had playoff aspirations this season were just being too hopeful. I get it…the hype…the excitement…great offseason. 

But it takes time and it sucks that every year we have to say, “be patient.” The problem before was the patience was always wasted on a fractured, unprofessional, and under-skilled organization. 

I think we have it right this time. I really do. Let’s be patient…and hopefully for the last time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

And look good doing it! It would be the biggest Jets win in maybe 6 years. All social media and sports media will be talking about this Jets team. Green Bean will be saying " I told you so". I will be on cloud 9 - for a week anyway. Maybe the Jets won't be such a laughing stock going forward. Maybe there would even be overblown playoff talk. A win Sunday wouldn't be enough for me to get a Jets tattoo - need a Super Bowl win for a tattoo but it would be a start. I really hope we have a Jets win to deal with come 4 O'clock Sunday afternoon!

Some of you guys really have some sort of media insecurity.

I don’t care what they say. I’ll be super happy for the W regardless of what they say.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

schitts creek no GIF by CBC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

There’s no way the coaching staff would draw any conclusions after 1 game about Elijah Moore or anyone. This is the kind of stuff NY beat writers like to speculate on to generate interest for their articles.  I guess your mentor is trying to teach you how to rile up the fan base without any real information. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I stand by my former assessment of your 'mentor'. 

Run. Fast. Far. 

3 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

Hmmm, not sure what to think, you are a very interesting player, “You like  Gladiator movies?” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hmmm, not sure what to think, you are a very interesting player, “You like  Gladiator movies?” 

I like Airplane but, at the risk of sounding insecure about my own sexuality, I am going to have to rebuff your (comical?) advances.  

• Haha 1

There is a greater chance that we are getting blown out with fans chanting “Joe Must Go” down the escalators at halftime than the Jets winning this thing.   

We can’t pressure the quarterback and we can’t run the ball.  Our kicker has never made a single attempt, ever.  Belichick won’t call off the dogs like Rhule did.  This has shutout written all over it.  

SAR I

52 minutes ago, freestater said:

I stand by my former assessment of your 'mentor'. 

Run. Fast. Far. 

To be honest, lately I've been thinking that I don't have what it takes to be a sports journalist.  Posting here has sort of helped with the (difficult) acceptance that it might not be the path forward for me.  I get the impression that I'm a bit too earnest and do not have the ability to (at the risk of sounding arrogant, it is genuinely not my intention) simplify my assessment of things in order to bring home an enjoyable and concise insight that is useful to fans and consumers of sports media.  I guess I'm just asking myself is it sunk-cost fallacy driving me forward and, if I am having questions now won't it be worse if I ever get a gig and have deadlines and real challenges rather than challenges of confidence?  

In any event, I get that you guys might not be fans of the Jets beat reporters, and I remember not too long ago being incensed by Mike Francesa trolling Jets fans.  But at least a few of the Jets beat (and reporters in other sports) have been kind to me about my aspirations.  

7 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

To be honest, lately I've been thinking that I don't have what it takes to be a sports journalist.  Posting here has sort of helped with the (difficult) acceptance that it might not be the path forward for me.  I get the impression that I'm a bit too earnest and do not have the ability to (at the risk of sounding arrogant, it is genuinely not my intention) simplify my assessment of things in order to bring home an enjoyable and concise insight that is useful to fans and consumers of sports media.  I guess I'm just asking myself is it sunk-cost fallacy driving me forward and, if I am having questions now won't it be worse if I ever get a gig and have deadlines and real challenges rather than challenges of confidence?  

In any event, I get that you guys might not be fans of the Jets beat reporters, and I remember not too long ago being incensed by Mike Francesa trolling Jets fans.  But at least a few of the Jets beat (and reporters in other sports) have been kind to me about my aspirations.  

The most successful people have learned to dum it down for the masses.  

It is a real skill. From Warren Buffet to Ray Kroc.   

• Upvote 1