What if the Jets actually do win at home against the Pats on Sunday?

Nixhead

I'm not so hung up on winning vs losing this year. I want Zach protected. Throw for 250+ yards, 2 TD'S and 0 int's. 

I hate the Pat's, Belli and Kraft but my overall hate dropped significantly when Tammy boy left. The ageless wonder is such an arse said the NFL was pretty easy and he could play to 50 but his wife is getting upset hes not home for his nightly pegging. Where is karma when you need her?

12 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I'm trying to understand why some of you think the jets have no shot. They are playing a mediocre Pats team with a rookie QB that are 0-1 after losing at home. The Jets absolutely have a shot. 

IMG-2610.jpg

Because the Jets posted this on social media yesterday. “Getting better“?  That’s the goal?

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

If the Jets do win it probably says more about the Pats than us.  Good news though that would be,.

The Jets in white uniforms are going to be hard to watch.  I like cricket but white uniforms should stay there.

Hopefully week #2 of Zach and we get to watch him do some things against an old enemy. Don't get killed.

39 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I'm trying to understand why some of you think the jets have no shot. They are playing a mediocre Pats team with a rookie QB that are 0-1 after losing at home. The Jets absolutely have a shot. 

I agree. If you look at the Carolina tape: Zach did not settle into the game until half way through the 3rd quarter, then the offense was decent. In fact, there were a couple of great plays. It wasn't all perfect, but they were moving the ball for 20 minutes. If some of that momentum can continue, that's a big "if" with BB getting the ghosts ready for Zach, then Jets have a shot. I know there is no Becton, but I can't see the OL and run game doing any worst. I think they've worked out some of the kinks and confusion and might be a little better.

Zach's not the only rookie out there. The Jets defense is going to try to rattle Mac.

5 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

Is your source none other than the disgraced Manish Mehta? Sounds like hogwash to me

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Is your source none other than the disgraced Manish Mehta? Sounds like hogwash to me

"Source" is a bit of a stretch here.  I was speaking to a guy that has sources (and I can't say whether he was relaying his own analysis or something he heard from sources or just rumors going around the beat).  I was probably a bit over-excited and a bit tipsy when I posted earlier after day-drinking with my mentor.  It really wasn't like any earth shattering news I heard.  Also, I assume you were making a joke, but I was not visiting with Manish Mehta.  

1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

That’s downright embarrassing. Don’t they have any sort of screening process before they send out messages? 

Can you imagine Bill Parcells, after inheriting Rich Kotite’s mess, coming in here and saying that his expectation of his team is to just “get better“?

They were absolute 1-15 garbage and figured out a way to finish 9-7 and the next year within 30 minutes of the Super Bowl  

What happened to “all gas no brake“?

Now it’s “William Wants A Doll”?

SAR I

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Can you imagine Bill Parcells, after inheriting Rich Kotite’s mess, coming in here and saying that his expectation of his team is to just “get better“?

They were absolute 1-15 garbage and figured out a way to finish 9-7 and the next year within 30 minutes of the Super Bowl  

SAR I

The New York Jets PR Team is a joke, and someone in the C-Suite needs to realize that fans of sports teams do not view an engaging social media page as a 1:1 substitute for a winning product on Sundays.  Nonetheless, the banal statement that you need to have goals that are not just winning games is not terribly unique and even Bill Parcells embraced a similar outlook.  I recalled reading an article Bill Parcells wrote in the Harvard Business Review for a sports journalism course and it (while much more sophisticated) discussed the need to have goals such as improving and defining your team and that winning comes after you establish that foundation.  

For example, he stated:  "In training camp, therefore, we don't focus on the ultimate goal--getting to the Super Bowl.  We establish a clear set of goals that are within immediate reach:  we're going to be a well-conditioned team; we're going to be a team that plays hard; we're going to be a team that has pride; we're going to be a team that wants to win collectively; we're going to be a team that doesn't criticize one another.  When we start acting in ways that fulfill these goals, I make sure everybody knows it.  I accentuate the positive at every possible opportunity, and at the same time I emphasize the next goal that we have to fulfill.  If we have a particularly good practice, then I call the team together and say 'We got something done today; we executed real work.  If you accomplish that, then we'll be ready for the game on Sunday."  https://coachwootten.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Turn-Around-a-TEAM-dave-prehiem.pdf

So I agree with you, and found your posts amusing, but its a bit of an overstatement to suggest that Bill Parcells never embraced the goal of getting better as a means of accomplishing the goal of winning.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

The New York Jets PR Team is a joke, and someone in the C-Suite needs to realize that fans of sports teams do not view an engaging social media page as a 1:1 substitute for a winning product on Sundays.  Nonetheless, the banal statement that you need to have goals that are not just winning games is not terribly unique and even Bill Parcells embraced a similar outlook.  I recalled reading an article Bill Parcells wrote in the Harvard Business Review for a sports journalism course and it (while much more sophisticated) discussed the need to have goals such as improving and defining your team and that winning comes after you establish that foundation.  

For example, he stated:  "In training camp, therefore, we don't focus on the ultimate goal--getting to the Super Bowl.  We establish a clear set of goals that are within immediate reach:  we're going to be a well-conditioned team; we're going to be a team that plays hard; we're going to be a team that has pride; we're going to be a team that wants to win collectively; we're going to be a team that doesn't criticize one another.  When we start acting in ways that fulfill these goals, I make sure everybody knows it.  I accentuate the positive at every possible opportunity, and at the same time I emphasize the next goal that we have to fulfill.  If we have a particularly good practice, then I call the team together and say 'We got something done today; we executed real work.  If you accomplish that, then we'll be ready for the game on Sunday."  https://coachwootten.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Turn-Around-a-TEAM-dave-prehiem.pdf

So I agree with you, and found your posts amusing, but its a bit of an overstatement to suggest that Bill Parcells never embraced the goal of getting better as a means of accomplishing the goal of winning.  

Bill Parcells, with no prior experience as a GM, came in here, took a 1-15 Rich Kotite disaster, and turned it into a 9-7 winner.  That first game in Seattle you could just tell we were in a very different place with a very different culture and everything was going to be different from then-in, 41-3, no f----ing around.

And here's Robert Saleh giggling when asked about a winning record.  And here's Joe Douglas hand-groomed to be a GM by some of the top talent in the NFL taking a 7-9 squad to 2-14 and whiffing on entire drafts and free agent periods.

And Jets fans just lap it up.  Just swallow whatever nonsense is being shoved down their throats.  "It's Year 1 of the rebuild!" they say.  My God.  The Jets announced it in 2016.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bill Parcells, with no prior experience as a GM, came in here, took a 1-15 Rich Kotite disaster, and turned it into a 9-7 winner.  That first game in Seattle you could just tell we were in a very different place with a very different culture and everything was going to be different from then-in, 41-3, no f----ing around.

And here's Robert Saleh giggling when asked about a winning record.  And here's Joe Douglas hand-groomed to be a GM by some of the top talent in the NFL taking a 7-9 squad to 2-14 and whiffing on entire drafts and free agent periods.

And Jets fans just lap it up.  Just swallow whatever nonsense is being shoved down their throats.  "It's Year 1 of the rebuild!" they say.  My God.  The Jets announced it in 2016.

SAR I

Those super bowl years with Parcells were the best 

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

Those super bowl years with Parcells were the best 

record2.jpg

Bill Parcells changed the culture and set us on a course where we had a winning record and were in the playoff conversation with a healthy quarterback for 15 years.  Take out the seasons when Testaverde and Pennington were lost for the year and take a look, we didn't win it all but these were our glory days.

11 seasons without a losing record.

10 seasons with a winning record.

7 seasons in the playoffs.

7 playoff wins.

5 head coaches with winning records in their first year.

This is the type of culture change we are expecting from Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh.

SAR I

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

All fair observations but, if I recall correctly, Bill Parcells tended to develop teams quickly by relying heavily on veteran talent.  The current iteration of rebuilding the New York Jets is operating through a youth movement.  I am not aware of any team as young throughout the roster winning quickly.  That may be a reason to doubt the roster construction approach, but it may also mean that this is going to (justifiably) take a bit longer (insofar as the youth movement bears fruit).  That's not to say that there is no grounds for criticizing the manner in which the team develops over the coming weeks.  Its just to say that I would hold out until end of the season (or at least the bye week) to assume that there will be no progress or foundation for future success. 

All the being said, I would not be surprised if the whole youth movement is scrapped next season and it is more commonly questioned on the Jets Nation Forum why we decided to engage in roster construction like a drunk gambler thinking that we're going to hit 100% on rookies at key positions including QB, WR, RB, OL, LB, and CB starting their first year.  

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

record2.jpg

Bill Parcells changed the culture and set us on a course where we had a winning record and were in the playoff conversation with a healthy quarterback for 15 years.  Take out the seasons when Testaverde and Pennington were lost for the year and take a look, we didn't win it all but these were our glory days.

11 seasons without a losing record.

10 seasons with a winning record.

7 seasons in the playoffs.

7 playoff wins.

5 head coaches with winning records in their first year.

This is the type of culture change we are expecting from Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh.

SAR I

I think your analysis slightly understates the degree to which Eric Mangini set the stage for success between 2008 and 2011.  His role in the roster construction and disciplined approach to the game was important independent of anything Bill Parcells did almost a decade earlier.  Of course, he outsmarted himself with play-calling, but it seems to me that he was nearly as important as Rex Ryan or Tannenbaum in setting a foundation for the New York Jets to be competitive.  

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So to be clear, based on 1 game a source within the building discussed the possibility that Elijah Moore might be a weekday warrior with the coaching staff. That source then told a beat writer about this and then that beat writer told you about it instead of writing an article that would get monster clicks. You then broke the confidence of your mentor and posted the info on the most active fan message board on the internet. I buy it.

He might need to take the “sources and methods” class again at his journalism school 

how many beat writers graduated from, syrance?

8 hours ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

I was fortunate to have an extended conversation with my mentor, a seasoned member of the New York Jets beat reporters, earlier today.  The impression that I gleaned from his remarks is that the Jets are not going to win many games during the first eight weeks (including tomorrow) primarily because there are too many moving parts and the team has not installed enough on offense or defense to keep up with the multiple and varied looks they can expect to see from teams like the Patriots.  It is unclear whether there is enough "buy-in" to New York Jets Head Coach Robert Saleh's "message."  It might be that they just have not had enough time to install and will be more prepared for teams like the Patriots later in the season, or it might be that players are simply not accustomed to the demands of a more professional coaching staff.  Hard to underestimate the degree to which the old guard created a culture of complacency.  It will be telling if the Offensive Line continues to struggle communicating basic reads at the line and we see a bunch of missed assignments.  

Also, and this will disappoint a lot of people here, but as much as the team loves Elijah Moore, there was a bit of shock about how much worse he was during an actual game.  There's a growing fear that he may be a Monday-Friday warrior and a Sunday schlub.  Separately, keep an eye out for articles in the next few weeks about McGovern and AVT not seeing eye-to-eye.

Edit:  I didn't mean to be vague, just didn't want to out too much from what I heard.  To avoid making this seem like a bigger deal than it is, McGovern and AVT are putting differences aside and working together effectively but they have political differences.  Probably won't be an article (my mentor wouldn't write an article about it) but who can say what some reporters consider newsworthy.  

Regardless of your article whether right or wrong,  any person who has to post there guiding principles tells me all I need to know.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The thing about Parcells is he actually inherited a pretty decent roster. Kotite was such a disorganized bumbling mess he could have coached the early 90’s Cowboys to a 5-11 record

I’d gladly take the 1996 Jets roster over even our current roster, let alone any roster we had last 10 years