Jets Inactives Today (Mims And Crowder)

jetsrule128

This situation with Mims strikes me as being related to "establishing the culture" ... guys with talent but lower effort get dropped, guys with effort but lower talent play.

I'm not 100% on the whole "can't learn the plays" ... seems it's more about effort than smarts IMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Another head coach who thinks his sh-t doesn't stink . Crowder and Mims should be active . 

One is getting over COVID.  WTF does this have to do with putting Saleh and Gase, the only two who have coached Crowder on the same level is beyond belief. 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

our depth at WR is so much better this year than it has been. If this guy ever gets the playbook down he could explode. 

This says it all!!

This is Insanity!!

Ughgggghh 

Jets are going to Jet!!

Coaches coach but players win games. 
I Love Saleh…..

Love him!! But I trust no coach or anyone on the Jets fully until they win some games  

Anyway..

Good Grief :( 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

This says it all!!

This is Insanity!!

Ughgggghh 

Jets are going to Jet!!

Coaches coach but players win games. 
I Love Saleh…..

Love him!! But I trust no coach or anyone on the Jets fully until they win some games  

Anyway..

Good Grief :( 

If he hasn't learned the playbook I don't blame them. Sucks, we all want to see him play but do you really want them to prune down the playbook because a WR hasn't learned it?

By god there are so many out of work Pro scouts here I had no idea!  Guys who can see more from the National game feed than the Coaches see up close with the players, live.  It's astonishing.  Who knew we had so many HoF'ers on our PS and inactive list if only the staff would play them...

Seriously, WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cole will make us forget about Crowder and Mims. 

Apparently so.  He has made the coaching staff forget about them too.  All indications were that he had the best camp outside of Moore among the WRs.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

So it's:

Davis, Moore, Cole, Berrios, and Smith? 

Yes.  It is Smith over Mims.  Berrios returns punts and gives you depth.  But it is Cole and Smith who have put Mims on the bench.

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How friggin' bad or incompetent must Mims be to the coaches if he's inactive?   That, or as I've said before, they are looking to dump him either through trade or outright release.

Outright release?  Trade?  I doubt both for the same reason.  Not much is going to come back in return.  Mims is still an excellent prospect.  But it is a disappointment that he has been unable to learn the playbook well enough to line up correctly and run the proper pattern.  He is going to take time but if the light bulb goes on he is still a tremendous talent.

As for the players who put him on the bench, both Cole and Smith had excellent camps.  And the evidence proves that the Jets protect J. Smith and have refused to waive him for two years now.  Remember, J. Smith is a converted college QB who was always a project.  It looks like his time is now but given his size speed combination and his plus athleticism, he has real upside and is no slouch.  

48 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mims has been here for 2 years why waste the time JD should have signed another free agent WR. 

I give Joe D a pass on Mims here.  There is no way for Joe D to either just dump him or to know that Mims would be unable to learn the brand new playbook.  Remember, Mims is a rookie with that thing. 

48 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Mims is going to get traded by Tuesday. You can mark that down. 

No.  But his being inactive might compel another team to make a decent offer.  I doubt it is enough to compensate the Jets.

47 minutes ago, Icer said:

Jeff Smith over Mims is criminal. Dont care how many plays Mims knows, its football not an intellectual battle

Jeff Smith has outperformed Mims.  It looked that way in preseason.  It became obvious when J. Smith made our final 53 and is now a fact with Mims left inactive.  Jeff Smith beat him out.  Probably through superior preparation.

46 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Another head coach who thinks his sh-t doesn't stink . Crowder and Mims should be active . 

Crowder is hurt.  One of the Jet dynamics that has yet to play out is whether Moore has beaten out Crowder for the starting role in the slot.  Until Crowder is active, we do not know.  Unless Crowder has beaten out Moore, there is no reason to activate him over more versatile players in Smith and Berrios. 

45 minutes ago, harris5214 said:

Great. More force feeding the ball to berrios. This will go well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hopefully, the addition of Cole will leave Berrios on the field only to return punts.  Last week, Berrios was ahead of Mims on the depth chart.  It is why we saw him in the game.  This week it should be Davis, Cole and Moore.  If we go with a fourth WR, it will be Smith. 

45 minutes ago, undertow said:

Nobody is giving you anything for Denzel Mims.

Agreed.  He is betwixt and between in his rookie deal and lengthy development time.  It is obvious he has had playbook learning issues.  Trading him is not going to magically make his problems disappear..

44 minutes ago, thshadow said:

In case people have missed it, Crowder has been listed on the injury report with a groin issue.  So presumably that's why he's inactive.

Yes.  I wonder who has won the slot job, Crowder or Moore.  I looks like we will have to wait another week to find out. 

39 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I think JD may be making sure Crowder is 100% and then gearing him up for a trade. 

I bet he wants to see if Elijah Moore takes off in the first few games, then flip Crowder. 

Will be interesting to see. 

This is the most logical outcome.  Unlike Mims, Crowder has value to a needy team.  His career stats are impressive and his is a top 15 NFL slot receiver.  Is he worth a 2d round pick?  No.  But you might get a team to give you a 2d round pick for a 3d and Crowder.  That would benefit the Jets more than his play this season and is not a high price for a solid contributor.  We even reduced his salary to $5 million from $10 which many believe was done so we could trade his contract.  

FELLAS.  While there has been a lot of speculation regarding Mims and his place on the Jets, this is not speculation.  We now have evidence that the coaching staff have moved on from Mims.  Whether additional practice may improve the coaches' confidence is unknown, but this season appears to be slipping away from Denzel Mims.  

I try to look at the positive side of things.  I offer congratulations to Jeff Smith and wish him well.  Go Jets.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If he hasn't learned the playbook I don't blame them. Sucks, we all want to see him play but do you really want them to prune down the playbook because a WR hasn't learned it?

Perine is also inactive and could be a healthy scratch.  Seems like the guys drafted this year (moore, carter) are favored over the guys drafted last year (mims, Perine). 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We put 5 guys on the OL last week that didn’t know the playbook. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Nooo I Don’t!!

I don’t…… and that is why I said the Jets are going to Jet and gave it a Good Grief because it is simply unbelievable!

I mean what other primary WR on another team has had this happen in the last 25 years when they have been producing when out there.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Perine is also inactive and could be a healthy scratch.  Seems like the guys drafted this year (moore, carter) are favored over the guys drafted last year (mims, Perine). 

It makes sense - last years draft was tailored towards the Gase system, whatever TF that was. This year they drafted with the new systems in mind. The hidden cost of repeatedly changing coaches. One reason why teams like the Steelers have more consistent success.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I give Joe D a pass on Mims here.  There is no way for Joe D to either just dump him or to know that Mims would be unable to learn the brand new playbook.  Remember, Mims is a rookie with that thing. 

The NY Jets never seem to do their due diligence on some draft picks theres always that guy no matter who the GM or HC is. 

• Upvote 2

My hunch isn’t that Mims is incapable of learning the other WR positions, it’s that he has refused to do so. Likely something along the lines of:

CS - “We need you to learn all of the wide receiver positions. That’s how you can contribute and get onto the field.”

Mims - “Nah, I’m an X. Always played X, that’s the position I want to play.”

CS - “That’s not how this works…”

• Upvote 1

The Jets drafted a knucklehead in the second round it doesn't take Perry Mason to figure this out.  Either way somebody messed up in this situation JD or Saleh.  Think I'm gonna support the coach on this one since we already have evidence of JD not picking the right players.  People are just attached to Mims because they thought the trade down and pick was brilliant.

• Upvote 1