Yes we should have kept Darnold

Dcronin

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We coulda traded out....taken Mac Jones, let Darnold play this season, if he does good, give him a contact, flip Mac for picks, if didnt you play Mac next year who had a whole year to learn. 

But they didn't, and here we are, so let's see how things unfold. I for one think Wilson will be very good.  Hard to compare a 4th yr qb against a two game qb. 

• Upvote 1

He beat the Jets, the Saints and the Texans after being in the league for over 3 years. Maybe we should trade Zach since we support our QB’s that we once considered busts. Sam is a Panther,  good for him fitting in the right system but we are only in week 3 and we already want to ship out Wilson. Living in the past, it’s painful being a Jet fan on so many levels. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Based on what exactly? People keep saying that, but what exactly is it based on? His one year wonder season at BYU? Really? He has a strong arm? I mean, ok. He got systematically dismantled and was throwing back foot prayers up because he had zero clue wtf was going on around him. I don’t think on either side of the ball honestly. I think this was an awful QB class and we forced ourselves to draft a QB rather than playing Sam out for one more year and punting the QB search to next years draft which by simple odds alone would have better prospects than these.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Lol, this QB class will likely go down as one of the strongest ever in the end. It's funny that you want to completely bail on Zach after 2 games but after 3 years as the worst QB in the NFL with many performances like Zach had last weekend he is the guy. Reality is that Zach has WAY more arm talent than Sam, is way more athletic, even better throwing on the run than Sam (and that is Sam's like one strength) is not prone to fumble and works harder than Sam.  And Zach has already made throws that Sam could not. But yeah let's bail on Zach for a bad game. Idiots.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

TRADE BACK MANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

team logo
  • NYJ
    DeVonta Smith
    WR Alabama
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Christian Darrisaw
    OT Virginia Tech

• NYJ
    Joseph Ossai
    EDGE Texas
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Travis Etienne
    RB Clemson

• NYJ
    Zaven Collins
    LB Tulsa
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Quincy Roche
    EDGE Miami (FL)
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Zion Johnson
    OG Boston College

• NYJ
    Anthony Schwartz
    WR Auburn

• NYJ
    DJ Daniel
    CB Georgia
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Brevin Jordan
    TE Miami (FL)
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Victor Dimukeje
    EDGE Duke

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Kellen Mond
    QB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • 2022 JAX 1st
  • 2022 IND 3rd
  • 2022 LAR 5th
  • 2022 CLE 5th

... and we'd be killing Joe D when Etienne went out for the year injured! :D  

2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

But they didn't, and here we are, so let's see how things unfold. I for one think Wilson will be very good.  Hard to compare a 4th yr qb against a two game qb. 

Or not, as witnessed on this very board! ;-) 

Too often people think a rookie should come out of college and be perfect in the NFL day 1, otherwise he's a bust. If that were the case we'd not need any coaches or off season at all. But for some reason, every year, 32 teams still turn up to training camp ... why don't they just draft better? :D 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Darnold sucks.  His absolute best is competent with a decent team around him.  He had wide open guys with time to throw yesterday.  Still missed other open players, was lousy when under pressure, and got away with 1 or two fumbles.

The guy is Matt Hasselbeck.  

Lol..Lol.Lol.Lol. oh BTW. Funny post.

11 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Or not, as witnessed on this very board! ;-) 

Too often people think a rookie should come out of college and be perfect in the NFL day 1, otherwise he's a bust. If that were the case we'd not need any coaches or off season at all. But for some reason, every year, 32 teams still turn up to training camp ... why don't they just draft better? :D 

Its the mentality of society as a whole, immediate gratification.  When I was young, 70's and 80's most qb's did not see the field until their 2nd and 3rd years. The speed of the game is so much faster from college to the pro's and some guys take longer to get comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

At least you had the good sense to keep out of last nights game thread.

Your player analysis has again proven to be woefully inaccurate.

Yeah, not spending my Thursday evening watching Carolina vs. Houston will do that.

And, as the .gif states.  Too soon.

21 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Darnold sucks.  His absolute best is competent with a decent team around him.  He had wide open guys with time to throw yesterday.  Still missed other open players, was lousy when under pressure, and got away with 1 or two fumbles.

Uhh....

Matt Hasselbeck led his team to *SIX* playoff appearances in eight years, one of them to the SuperBowl ( A place the Jets won't ever sniff in our lifetimes, it seems).

If he becomes Matt, then this trade is an absolute STEAL for the Panthers. 

EDIT : What's that sound?   oh right....the CHIRPING of CRICKETS!!      RoadFan just made himself look dumb.

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Darnold was a train wreck with our team.  (Insert Darnold Gase, other coaching, system, etc. excuse here.)  Best thing to happen to that putz was a ticket out.   If he were still our QB?  No doubt we'd still be 0-2 and he'd continue on his march toward pick 6 immortality.  

The season is still young.  Still plenty of time for young Sam to show his true colors.

I think the true statement would that the team and coaching around darnold was the train wreck

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, Dcronin said:

Zach Wilson is a bust and a half

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Should have kept Darnold... why? Because apparently the Jets hadn't finished ruining him? You're calling Wilson a "bust and a half." Do you honestly think the Jets would have won a game with Darnold out there getting pummeled? Or Mac & Cheese Jones?

I know this must seem like trolling from a Bills fan, but honestly, I was so hoping the Jets could be competitive. I was so hoping week two vs. the smarmy Patriots* would be something other than an ego-boost for their obnoxious, delusional, dipsh*t fans. 

Comparing how the Patriots* are developing Mac & Cheese to how the Jets are "developing" Zack & Wheeze is pretty remarkable (quotation marks unfortunately necessary). Mac & Cheese spent the offseason with a seasoned vet (Cam), and now has an even older vet (Hoyer) in the QB room. He's more or less protected on the field, and is running the equivalent of a high school playbook. Zack Wilson spent the offseason with two of the scrubbiest QBs in the league who are barely qualified to hold a clip board, and he's now battling for his life every Sunday. The Jets offense on the field is so chaotic, and Wilson has so little protection, that the playbook is practically an afterthought.

A conspiratorial part of me wonders if the Jets aren't just tanking the season, and drafted Wilson because they thought the Patriots* wanted him. If the Jets had drafted Mac & Cheese, with his low-velocity throws, his sleepy demeanor, and his dad-bod, he would be dead by now.

• Sympathy 1

On 9/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, RoadFan said:

More like Elizabeth Hasselbeck

On 9/20/2021 at 5:41 AM, oatmeal said:

Smfh any QB can look good playing with a generational RB who can literally do it all. Check down passes, take a few shots not impressive at all. I will turn my judgment on darnold around when I see the #3 overall pick win games consistently with his arm. 

Until then darnold is nothing more than a game manager, still a bust being he was chosen #3 in a nfl draft littered with all-pro players 

Ask charlie Batch if he ever looked good 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:11 PM, isired said:

Darnold played well today. It's not just McCaffrey.. He's got weapons, which every QB needs.

I don't see how there is any other takeaway than this: Darnold didn't magically become better. No QB, not Sam, not Zach, not Brady, Mahomes or Lamar, would win games with who the Jets surrounded Sam and now Zach with. The Pats have much better personnel than we do right now.

I thought we'd be a little bit better this year, but injuries are threatening that. We need a healthy OL to let them start to gel. We need a pass rush from our Edge/DL for our D to work.

I think most of the posters here agree that we had terrible everything while Darnold was QB, the hope was the change came with a breath of fresh air and energy plus the draft haul/FA players.  What's disappointing is that we suck even worse this year with supposedly better coaching and players.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, NotEasyBeingGreen said:

I think most of the posters here agree that we had terrible everything while Darnold was QB, the hope was the change came with a breath of fresh air and energy plus the draft haul/FA players.  What's disappointing is that we suck even worse this year with supposedly better coaching and players.

The real problem is we never tried to build an actual roster. It’s boring but that’s how you do stuff like win

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, NotEasyBeingGreen said:

While I agree we thought we had more potential with our players, but that was only "potential".  Just far too young to know.

This is a VERY young team, with a very young coaching staff with a very young QB. and very little veteran talent.  We just don't know what we have other than potential. Anything happening now should have been 100% expected.

What we don't know is, are any of the young players any good.  if they turn out to be good the Jets will be a competitive team.  if they don't JD will be out of work in two years.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It’s not like Sam has no talent. He was the overall #3 pick in the league and at the time not many objectors to the pick. And JD stated he liked Sam but not as much as he does Zach. I think he’s right! 

I don't believe that JD would've kept Sam if Zach wasn't in the draft.  That's called trying to raise his trade value.  He was going to reset that rookie clock with this many quality prospects available. 

They would've drafted someone else, probably Lance if their evaluations were similar to San Fran's. 

• Upvote 2

Would it be rude of me to laugh at all the Sam fans on here and say that if it had been me I would have drafted Lamar Jackson?  After he beat Syracuse as a freshman I wanted him.  But the loudest guys on this place are the sma... no, they tend to be the dumbest and just keep yapping it until they get slapped upside the head by reality.  But hey, my points just keep getting proven for me.  Later.

• WTF? 1