Yes we should have kept Darnold

Listen I was always torn on sam. He got zero weapons from us but sometimes he make throws that make me scratch my head. 

The case to keep Sam was he was always most likely going to be better in the first year then a rookie. You acquire some picks and build around him. Sam playing for us last week and we may beat the pats.

We went the other route choosing more pain for what’s supposed to be long term good. I don’t know what the right call was.

All I know is if Zach doesn’t turn into a top 5 QB it was most likely a bad deal 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach Wilson is a bust and a half     Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Moving on from Darnold was 100% the correct decision. Time will tell if Zach was the correct replacement, but moving on was the right idea for the Jets and for Darnold.

I don't know about keeping darnold but the Jets 100% should have gone out and got a starter calibre vet like a Dalton or Mariota or such , they had the cap space they should not have done the often re

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Tired of hearing about this ginger blockhead. Let it go. 

This.

He was Chad Pennington without the completion percentage.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

You just have a group who are starting to look stupid and deflect from their stance that he is the worst QB in the NFL, so they can’t get off him. Aaron Rodgers looked like garbage against the same Saints defense. And news flash, Rodgers passed to his running back repeatedly last night. You are allowed to use your weapons.  It’s a thing.

But yes, Sam is gone. Time to move on.  And Zach will be fine.  I believe that 

he's right you know - Morgan Freeman He's Right You Know | Meme Generator

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

so basically if joe gave sam weapons he would have been fine here and now wilson is going to fail just like sam until joe gives him a real line and better players around him

that goes without saying for any qb.  but they obviously saw that wilson had a higher ceiling and not just look at the financial aspect of re-signing darnold.  we'll see how well stafford does with the rams and goff with the lions.

1 hour ago, LEBRICK JAMES said:

I was a keep Sam supporter because it made the most sense….. we could’ve traded back and got an extra first this year ….. if Sam sucked we could’ve drafted a new qb or traded for Rodgers or deshaun …. But they didn’t do that …. They could’ve kept both Sam and Zach and they didn’t do that when there’s no rush at all…. Sam was in his 4th year not 5th …. Zach could’ve sat the year out….. ultimate fail by the gm but only time will tell but with this team it’s bound for failure….how tf do I apply for gm ?

Better hope the interview process doesn't have an essay portion.

5 minutes ago, LEBRICK JAMES said:

Lmao if I wanted to properly write that I would’ve of course but I’m on a jets forum I’m not here authoring a book but you get the point

Yes. You named like 8 different scenarios that you think are better than what JD did and think this qualifies you to be GM of the NYJ.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, jgb said:

So then Macc Jones played better than Russell Wilson this weekend. Interesting view point.

The frick does Mac  Jones have to do with anything I said?

• Upvote 1
On 9/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, SAR I said:

The only reason to keep Sam was to get a haul of draft picks and Joe Douglas sucks with draft picks.

So it is a blessing that Sam is gone.

SAR I

I think Sam feels the same way at the moment in regards to him being dealt away from this Franchise.🤷‍♂️

18 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

It’s not about wins fool

a paraplegic senile quarterback outperformed you’re darling child with the same exact weapons 

THOSE ARE THE COLD HARD FACTS

What the frick is wrong with you?  

18 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Darnold is still exactly what we thought he was - you guys are literally so fickle idk how some of you function. 

Darnold is good. We knew that - we all blame Gase and roster.  Everyone always said his ceiling is Tony Romo, and I think that could be sorta true. He's a good quarterback but he's turnover prone and when it counts he's not gunna do it for you. 

I'm not trying to go to the playoffs, I'm trying to go to the super bowl. We needed to make a decision this offseason and when you throw in financial factors and our slot in the draft - it was a no-brainer. 

Message me when Darnold gets to the Conference championships. Until then, idc if he gets a wild card spot which he probably will. 

The unfortunate reality of it all is that you need to get TO the playoffs in order to have the chance to go to the aforementioned Super Bowl you crave.   

And Sam is now on a team that will give him that opportunity whereas the Jets need to just field a Competitive team just to even stay remotely in the hunt for a playoff spot at this point....

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

He was Chad Pennington without the completion percentage.  

SAR I

Well now he's on a team where he can be Chad Pennington *WITH* the Completion percentage.    lol.

Certainly helps to have CMC, Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, and Terrace Marshall Jr. to throw to.

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Quick watch of Sam's passes vs NO. Better than I thought....Several really, really nice passes. Doesn't show his 'bad int' though. I don't know how to imbed so click and watch on Y-Tube if you wanna...

(118) Sam Darnold Highlights | NFL 2021 - YouTube

It wasn't even a throw....he attempted to shovel-pass/fling it toward Chuba Hubbard(the other RB who was giving CMC a breather) but he got wrapped up by a Saints DB and instead of taking the sack, he tried to fling it toward Chuba and the ball instead wound up in a Saints DT's hands. 

I wouldn't even consider that an INT in the purest sense of the word.    

It was a very inadvisable decision on his part, though.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Vin said:

I think Sam feels the same way at the moment in regards to him being dealt away from this Franchise.🤷‍♂️

The **** is wrong with you?  

The unfortunate reality of it all is that you need to get TO the playoffs in order to have the chance to go to the aforementioned Super Bowl you crave.   

And Sam is now on a team that will give him that opportunity whereas the Jets need to just field a Competitive team just to even stay remotely in the hunt for a playoff spot at this point....

Well now he's on a team where he can be Chad Pennington *WITH* the Completion percentage.    lol.

Certainly helps to have CMC, Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, and Terrace Marshall Jr. to throw to.

It wasn't even a throw....he attempted to shovel-pass/fling it toward Chuba Hubbard(the other RB who was giving CMC a breather) but he got wrapped up by a Saints DB and instead of taking the sack, he tried to fling it toward Chuba and the ball instead wound up in a Saints DT's hands. 

In the purest sense it was a variation on the butt fumble. 

• Haha 1

I fully supported resetting the quarterback clock and bringing in a highly drafted rookie.  The bottom line is Darnold didn't do enough in three years to warrant building around for the long term.

Earlier this year, I was advocating to draft Wilson, keep Darnold for his final year, and let Wilson sit, learn, and develop for a bit.  I think the Jets got decent trade compensation for Darnold, but I still stand by that statement.

Darnold would have been the perfect bridge quarterback: young, lots of potential, experienced, and cheap.  He could have been taking the lumps of a young, inexperienced team while having the ability to develop some of the young skill position players.  He would have been the one getting battered by the Panthers in Week 1.  Wilson could have been sitting on the bench, getting eased into action when ready, and not forming bad habits playing behind a spotty offensive line learning a new system.

I really hope Joe Douglas does something special with that 2nd rounder he got for Darnold.  Was it worth seeing your young new franchise quarterback getting hammered in Week 1 and subsequently go into Week 2 imagining a pass rush that wasn't really there?  The Jets are already halfway on the road to ruining Wilson and we're still in the first quarter of his rookie season.

• Upvote 4

It was JD’s job to evaluate Darnold and decide whether to keep him or trade him.  

the NFL does not have good tape on Sam+Brady, so he is going to look good.   We need to make this call at the end of the year.

But my gut tells me that we were better off with draft picks and keeping Sam than trading him.  It all depends on how good Wilson can be.   But I don’t think JD operates in a vacuum.  The guys that write the checks are involved, and based on what they saw of Sam, you can understand if they said trade him and avoid committing $20mm to him in year 5 and restart the clock.  If you are trying too build a good football team, that approach works if your new QB is as good or better than the prior one.   Sam also had terrible games against BB’s defense, after 2+ years of experience, not 2+ games.  

Which keeps us coming back to the same question-are JD and the Johnsons trying to win a Championship, or trying to win the Cap?

• Upvote 1
On 9/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, mrcoops said:

Moving on from Darnold was 100% the correct decision.

Time will tell if Zach was the correct replacement, but moving on was the right idea for the Jets and for Darnold.

If Sam develops and Zach is not it then it’s not “100 percent” the right decision. It was the wrong decision.

Thats how this works 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, varjet said:

It was JD’s job to evaluate Darnold and decide whether to keep him or trade him.  

the NFL does not have good tape on Sam+Brady, so he is going to look good.   We need to make this call at the end of the year.

But my gut tells me that we were better off with draft picks and keeping Sam than trading him.  It all depends on how good Wilson can be.   But I don’t think JD operates in a vacuum.  The guys that write the checks are involved, and based on what they saw of Sam, you can understand if they said trade him and avoid committing $20mm to him in year 5 and restart the clock.  If you are trying too build a good football team, that approach works if your new QB is as good or better than the prior one.   Sam also had terrible games against BB’s defense, after 2+ years of experience, not 2+ games.  

Which keeps us coming back to the same question-are JD and the Johnsons trying to win a Championship, or trying to win the Cap?

Same with the gut. I leaned to keeping Sam, giving him actual weapons and moving forward.

I don’t suspect the Johnsons wanted to cut ties with Sam. He’s like a model citizen and they value that stuff. I think this was more of JD simply not believing in Sam. My gripe is with a new look offense and some new tools would it of looked different for Sam? I think so. 

He really has to hit on Zach here or it will go down as a blunder 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, mrcoops said:

Moving on from Darnold was 100% the correct decision.

Time will tell if Zach was the correct replacement, but moving on was the right idea for the Jets and for Darnold.

I think so, but it is always the Jets fans way to second guess everything. I thought it was time to move on from Darnold and only time will tell is Zach is the right guy. Two games behind a very shaky O-line tells me nothing except that JD needs to fix that problem before we are all looking a Zach like we did Sam.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Vin said:

The frick does Mac  Jones have to do with anything I said?

I don’t care what you say about my very astute points nor am I under obligation to explain anything to those who obtusely pretend to not understand.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Vin said:

What the frick is wrong with you?  

No one cares about Sam Darnold.  Why do you?

SAR I

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If Sam develops and Zach is not it then it’s not “100 percent” the right decision. It was the wrong decision.

Thats how this works 

It was the right decision at the time.

Making decisions with the benefit of hindsight is always easy. Real GMs don't get to do that.

19 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Darnold is still exactly what we thought he was - you guys are literally so fickle idk how some of you function. 

Darnold is good. We knew that - we all blame Gase and roster.  Everyone always said his ceiling is Tony Romo, and I think that could be sorta true. He's a good quarterback but he's turnover prone and when it counts he's not gunna do it for you. 

I'm not trying to go to the playoffs, I'm trying to go to the super bowl. We needed to make a decision this offseason and when you throw in financial factors and our slot in the draft - it was a no-brainer. 

Message me when Darnold gets to the Conference championships. Until then, idc if he gets a wild card spot which he probably will. 

You kinda need to go to the playoffs first before winning a super bowl

We aren’t making the playoffs another 5-6 years minimum

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Thats how this works 

What if Zach doesn't develop and goes somewhere else and is better than Sam?  There is no right decision.  Fact is if that happens which has a reasonable probability it proves one thing.  There is no right decision.  There is only Jets hell. 

Thats how this works 
We'll have to wait until after Zach's third year for a fair evaluation.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
On 9/21/2021 at 4:07 PM, Biggs said:

In the purest sense it was a variation on the butt fumble. 

That's actually true.   LOL!

But unlike Mark Butt-chez, Sam's career is yet to be set in stone much like Zach's career cannot be defined by one bad game against the Patsies.

On 9/21/2021 at 4:39 PM, jgb said:

I don’t care what you say about my very astute points nor am I under obligation to explain anything to those who obtusely pretend to not understand.

So in other words, you just posted nonsense.

Okay then.   😴

On 9/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, SAR I said:

No one cares about Sam Darnold.  Why do you?

SAR I

This is a thread on Sam Darnold and I'm posting in it like everyone else who "doesn't care" yet still talk about him here.   🤷‍♂️

Do I actually care?   Bottom Line : Nope.  

But I also am not going to stick my head in the sand about things that are obvious either just 'cause they're stuff no one wants to hear. 

I mean...if people don't want any more Sam Darnold talk, then maybe it's a good idea to lock this thread then.

Personally, I think it was a silly thread to begin with because moving on from Sam was the correct move both Professionally and Financially (and it's working out for both teams).    Now obviously, you don't *want it* to work out for the team we traded him to because we want the draft pick to be very high but that's not how it's working out thus far, though it's only been two games....

On 9/21/2021 at 4:03 PM, Vin said:

now thats the Sam Darnold we remember.

thats 2 boneheaded plays in 2 weeks. the other was the fumble vs us.

hes still the same, just bad opponents and a few good weapons mask what he is. 

11 hours ago, doitny said:

now thats the Sam Darnold we remember.

thats 2 boneheaded plays in 2 weeks. the other was the fumble vs us.

hes still the same, just bad opponents and a few good weapons mask what he is. 

And maybe that's exactly what he needs to be successful in this league?

Good weapons to make him look good.

Oh wait.....isn't that true for all QBs?    *Mind Blown*