Mims in a 1-on-1 go route on the outside is better than 5’8 Moore doing it. This is bad coaching.

jetscrazey

everyone needs to calm down.  i agree that mims would have been a better option than moore or anyone else besides davis.  he's big and fast and looks to have decent hands.  we don't know what's going on between the coaches and mims.  what has been printed and said can be taken both ways.  the bottom line is it's saleh's team and since they're not expected to win many games he's got a lot of latitude to play the team the way he wants.  and just adding mims wouldn't changed the game's result.  wilson was way too erratic not just in accuracy but in throw selection.  hopefully he turns this around.

The offense isn’t creative.  Everything is east/west, nothing north/south.  All run plays are to the sides, nothing up the middle. No slant routes, no in routes.  

Mims should be out there because all the WRs are the same - small and quick. Berrios, Moore, Crowder, Smith - they’re all the same guy.  Need a big guy out there. 

It might be creative, but what’s not creative is Zach throwing right into defenders breadbaskets every play

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Moore/Crowder in the slot and Mims on the outside along with Davis is what I had envisioned.  I have no idea what Lafleur is thinking. 

this is a bad OC guys, that's, it bad coaching is what I saw yesterday, where is that kids' QB coach and why wasn't he MADE to stop falling back and lofting every throw? Where were the RB screens? What happened to the 2 TE set that could have gotten him in some kind of a rhythm? Where is that WR corps that looked so promising last month that we weren't sure if we'd even be able to keep all that talent? This looks like the Jets offense under Todd Bowles when the team seemed to be made up of UPS drivers on loan. After next week's loss I might have to forget about pro football AGAIN this year, and the whole "I'm running out of years too see another Jets SB thing", well I know there will never BE another one-not with this ownership-there's just something missing and it's not the fan base's fault.

• Post of the Week 2

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

WTF do you think we are going to get for a guy who gets benched for Braxton Berrios and Jeff Smith??????   This entire thing is beginning look very embarrassing for this team.   Other teams have eyes and see this guy can't even get off the bench.   At this point I would not be shocked if they just cut him out right.   This CS has dug in and made a stand (a foolish one in my opinion) and now it is like they have painted themselves into a corner.    I really feel bad for the kid.  There is no evidence that he has done anything wrong; even Saleh said he had a good week of practice.  Really great way to build confidence in player; bench him for scrubs and then throw him under the bus after the game. 

he's not getting cut.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ask the folks who've been saying that.  My post was an observation on the speedy flip here on Moore, not MY view.

Hmm

Could you show us a few posts of people saying Moore is a bust?

Seen a few saying Moore would be better in the slot with Mims on the outside, but I missed the ones saying he was a bust.  

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Moore is much more likely to get separation on a go route than Mims tbh.

You need to be able to jump to consistently win the 1-on-1 go route in the NFL.  Don’t even try to say 5’8 Moore has a better chance than Mims.  If it’s Mims out there Zach’s 3rd pick yesterday is probably an incompletion.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t know why I have to see Moore in crunch time run a go on the outside when he belongs in the slot, and Mims rots on the bench when he might have the best chance on the team of winning the outside  1 on 1 battle.

I couldn't agree with you more.  I think the hope that Moore is an outside receiver has ended, and Moore should be in the slot 100% of the time.  Mims on the outside.  I think the problem is that outside of Davis and Mims, all of our other wideouts are slot receiver types.  I hate to say this, but we need to draft in the first round another wideout who can play opposite Davis.  Put Moore in the slot, and let Crowder walk after this season, since he is just a slot receiver.  

1st round picks next year:  #1 Wide receiver  #2 Center

2nd round picks next year:  #1 Linebacker   #2 Tight End

3rd round pick next year:    Guard

If the Jets can get premium players at these 5 spots, either through the top of the draft or in free agency, then the Jets will continue to get better and progress towards a playoff spot.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Hmm

Could you show us a few posts of people saying Moore is a bust?

Seen a few saying Moore would be better in the slot with Mims on the outside, but I missed the ones saying he was a bust.  

If you haven't seen or noted the negativity towards Moore (especially vis a vi Mims) so far, I don't know what to tell you. 

But no, I'm not going to go searching for you, you can do that on your time if you're interested.

9 minutes ago, Alka said:

1st round picks next year:  #1 Wide receiver

I couldn't think of a worse position than WR to select in the first round in 2022. This team needs OL, TE, CB, EDGE, and LB infinitely more than a WR at this point. I'd call for JD's firing if he selected a WR in the first round in 2022. Zach Wilson's interceptions have NOTHING to do with our WR group. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I couldn't think of a worse position than WR to select in the first round in 2022. This team needs OL, TE, CB, EDGE, and LB infinitely more than a WR at this point. I'd call for JD's firing if he selected a WR in the first round in 2022. Zach Wilson's interceptions have NOTHING to do with our WR group. 

If you saw in my response, I did in fact say that the Jets needed to take an OL in the first round.  I also said that the Jets needed to take a TE and Linebacker in the second round.  I also said that if not in the draft, then the Jets needed to get OL, TE, and Linebacker in free agency as premium players if not in the draft.

As far as EDGE, we still have 2 years left with Carl Lawson, and we did pay him $15M per year to be our EDGE player, and he should be back 100% next year.  For that kind of money, I feel the Jets need to get other premium needs at the top of the draft.

I also disagree with you regarding CB.  The Jets have some young players that they are trying to develop as CB's, and thus far, I think they are off to a very good start.  Unless a top CB falls to the Jets in the second round, or we can sign a great young CB in free agency, I will pass on taking a CB early on in the draft, especially in the first round, where I believe the Jets need a OL and for me, a stud wide receiver or pass catching tight end, for that matter.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you haven't seen or noted the negativity towards Moore (especially vis a vi Mims) so far, I don't know what to tell you. 

But no, I'm not going to go searching for you, you can do that on your time if you're interested.

You said to ask the people who are saying Moore is a bust.  So far your the only person I can find who said Moore is a BUST. Not people who said he would be more effective in the slot.  People who said he's a bust.

So I'm asking you besides yourself Who said Moore is a BUST?  I'm curious

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

The offensive coaching, scheming and gameplanning seems deficient.  The defense appears to be more effective and better coached, and they may have worse talent. 

The running game seemed to work really well yesterday, you just didn't see as much of it because it would be good run, good run, "OMG what did Wilson just do"?? 

It's pretty  impossible to say that it was the OCs fault for those INTs. One of those was on a roll out where Wilson had Moore wide open short and Wilson opted to throw it deeper to a well covered Davis which turned into a bad pass/INT. It definitely seemed like they gave Wilson 2 options and Wilson just chose horribly wrong. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

You said to ask the people who are saying Moore is a bust.  So far your the only person I can find who said Moore is a BUST. Not people who said he would be more effective in the slot.  People who said he's a bust.

So I'm asking you besides yourself Who said Moore is a BUST?  I'm curious

Anyone who is saying that Moore is a bust just doesn't know what they are talking about.  Didn't Moore have 4 catches for 47 yards yesterday?  And if we are all right, and we believe that Moore can be more effective in the slot, "Then doesn't it make sense to try him out specifically as a slot receiver and see if his numbers get better?"

The only problem with putting Moore in the slot, is that we need another receiver to "step up" as an outside threat opposite Davis to allow Moore to flourish.  That is why, at this early stage of the season, I feel that the Jets need to either draft a wide receiver early on next year, or get another premium player in free agency,   Unless they can somehow figure out if Mims can be that guy.  For now, Mims is buried on the depth chart, and if he continues to do so for the remainder of the year, he will be cut next year, and the Jets will be forced to draft another wide receiver for the outside as I am now calling for.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The running game seemed to work really well yesterday, you just didn't see as much of it because it would be good run, good run, "OMG what did Wilson just do"?? 

It's pretty  impossible to say that it was the OCs fault for those INTs. One of those was on a roll out where Wilson had Moore wide open short and Wilson opted to throw it deeper to a well covered Davis which turned into a bad pass/INT. It definitely seemed like they gave Wilson 2 options and Wilson just chose horribly wrong. 

The 3rd pick was the OC's fault for lining up Moore in a fade over Mims

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So far your the only person I can find who said Moore is a BUST.

Look, I'm doing doing this silliness with you today flagreen.

As noted previously:  My post was an observation on the speedy flip here by a few folks on Moore, not MY view.

I do not think Moore is a bust.  

If you think no one here has flipped from very positive to very negative on Moore (at least temporarily) because of, at that time, week 1's performance alone, great.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Alka said:

If you saw in my response, I did in fact say that the Jets needed to take an OL in the first round.  I also said that the Jets needed to take a TE and Linebacker in the second round.  I also said that if not in the draft, then the Jets needed to get OL, TE, and Linebacker in free agency as premium players if not in the draft.

As far as EDGE, we still have 2 years left with Carl Lawson, and we did pay him $15M per year to be our EDGE player, and he should be back 100% next year.  For that kind of money, I feel the Jets need to get other premium needs at the top of the draft.

I also disagree with you regarding CB.  The Jets have some young players that they are trying to develop as CB's, and thus far, I think they are off to a very good start.  Unless a top CB falls to the Jets in the second round, or we can sign a great young CB in free agency, I will pass on taking a CB early on in the draft, especially in the first round, where I believe the Jets need a OL and for me, a stud wide receiver or pass catching tight end, for that matter.

Again, drafting a WR in the first round is grounds for firing. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Moore looked like he didn’t want to be there yesterday. Is this why he dropped to the second? His effort on some of those interceptions was embarrassing.

The 3rd pick was the only INT intended for Moore.  It was a fade pattern jump ball on the outside.  Ask our coaches why a 5'8 guy was sent to run that route while 6'4 Mims was in street clothes.

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That INT was 100% on Wilson. The only pass that should have been thrown was to Moore for the short gain. The coaching staff needs to sit Wilson down and explain that he is not ready to pass up the safe play for the high risk play. In a different place, and a different time, that pass to Davis would have been the correct decision, but that comes after solidifying your rapport with your receivers. Zach Wilson has not spent enough time with his receivers, and the receivers haven't spent enough time with their QB. This happens when you leave your QB on the bench in the pre-season. 

4 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The 3rd pick was the only INT intended for Moore.  It was a fade pattern jump ball on the outside.  Ask our coaches why a 5'8 guy was sent to run that route while 6'4 Mims was in street clothes.

The 4th was intended to nobody basically but Moore literally grabbed some popcorn and watched a jump ball land into the hands of the defender.

Just now, Matt39 said:

The 4th was intended to nobody basically but Moore literally grabbed some popcorn and watched a jump ball land in the hands of the defender.

Wilson said that was a miscommunication and that’s probably what happened.  It’s hard to throw that with no wrs in the vicinity without some confusion.

the first 2 picks were solely b/c wilson forced it to davis and that’s what he has to get over.  He can’t lock onto his favorite target and wing it in there and simply expect good things to happen.  I thought those 2 throws showed a fair amount of arrogance on Wilson’s behalf, especially the 2nd pick where he had moore open for a shorter gain but completely ignored it to force it to davis.  

19 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t know why I have to see Moore in crunch time run a go on the outside when he belongs in the slot, and Mims rots on the bench when he might have the best chance on the team of winning the outside  1 on 1 battle.

Not only can't Mims crack the starting rotation (some saying he doesn't know the offense) - but he was a healthy scratch. PATHETIC. This is not the hallmark of a good football player, not at all.

7 hours ago, Claymation said:

How is it not Mims’ fault?
He isn’t that good, can’t get separation.

Who cares that much about separation when he is capable of coming up with most 50/50 balls?  A competent QB can throw him open.  Flacco did it last year.  Wilson did it last week in his debut.  He's a guy capable of coming down with it on deep tosses, posting up smaller DB's, and/or drawing flags.  If he isn't "that good" it certainly isn't being demonstrated by a lack of productivity when he's on the field.  

He's the 2nd most talent WR we have, maybe even the MOST talented, and there's not a single good excuse for why he doesn't belong on the field for at least 10 or so snaps a game. None whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Seems very likely my hope that Mims would leverage his prodigious athletic gifts -- he is an A++ athlete at the WR position equal to DK Metcalf and Chris Godwin -- was misplaced. 

The world is filled with unrealized potential. Pity.

Most of the time I'd agree this is a player problem.  It's not.  This is the rare instance where I'm going to blame the coaches on this one.  He may never be a starting WR for this team but he will somewhere else.  And in the meantime he's still on a cheap rookie deal and needs to see the field.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares that much about separation when he is capable of coming up with most 50/50 balls?  A competent QB can throw him open.  Flacco did it last year.  Wilson did it last week in his debut. 

He's the 2nd most talent WR we have, maybe even the MOST talented, and there's not a single good excuse for why he doesn't belong on the field for at least 10 or so snaps a game. None whatsoever.

Since july the coaching staff has given us a few reasons why mims is out.  First it was food poisoning, then he got injured in the preseason.  Now he allegedly does not know the entire playbook.  And today we hear he has to beat out Jeff smith and cole who combined for 1 catch yesterday.  You know what it all says, the guy is in the doghouse. Obvious i know.  But why?  We all want to know why he’s in the doghouse.  If i had to guess, it’s that at some point he told the coaching staff that he didn’t want to learn the entire offense, that he’s good at certain things and not good at certain things and believes he should focus on what he’s good at.  And that rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way, so they’re calling him out on it.