Mims in a 1-on-1 go route on the outside is better than 5’8 Moore doing it. This is bad coaching.

jetscrazey

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Since july the coaching staff has given us a few reasons why mims is out.  First it was food poisoning, then he got injured in the preseason.  Now he allegedly does not know the entire playbook.  And today we hear he has to beat out Jeff smith and cole who combined for 1 catch yesterday.  You know what it all says, the guy is in the doghouse. Obvious i know.  But why?  We all want to know why he’s in the doghouse.  If i had to guess, it’s that at some point he told the coaching staff that he didn’t want to learn the entire offense, that he’s good at certain things and not good at certain things and believes he should focus on what he’s good at.  And that rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way, so they’re calling him out on it.

Well then get him out of the doghouse because nothing else matters this season than seeing if Wilson can be the guy, and Mims can help him in that regard.  This coaching staff preaches "easy throws" but Wilson wanted to go all hero ball last week.  Well, at least Mims' skillset can help when Wilson decides to do this.  

Good coaches adapt their scheme to the personnel.  They don't stubbornly try to put square pegs in round holes at every step of the process.  I'm cool with the smaller WR's getting a lot of playing time and leaning on the system 80+ % of the time.  It's a system that has proven success.  But Mims needs to serve a purpose here too even if he doesn't fit what the coaches like to do.  As @Paradis pointed out, it's highly concerning that they see Mims occupying a similar role as Deebo Samuel did, even though Deebo is 4 inches shorter and a smaller and slower guy than Mims.  

I don't care what Mims did wrong.  Play him.  You don't have to start him.  But play him.  8 snaps next week.  That's all I ask.  And if you don't want to do that, then trade him, because essentially sitting him on the bench through the end of his rookie deal (or however long they continue to play this silly game with him) is a massive waste of resources.

One last thing:  If Mims is truly in the doghouse, he and the team have been handling it remarkably well.  Saleh has been dragging Mims' name in the media for weeks now and there hasn't been a peep from Mims or the team about it.  So whatever he did wrong, he's handling things very well at the moment.  For whatever that's worth.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he isn't "that good" it certainly isn't being demonstrated by a lack of productivity when he's on the field.  

I don't how people can overlook his incredible 2.4 catches for 39.7 yards and 0 TD's per game played average he's put up since he hit the NFL.

It just screams "play me!".

Let me ask directly, do you have any faith in Saleh and LaFluer?  

Did you support their hiring?

If yes, do you no longer support their hiring?

I guess ultimately it comes down to "if we fans don't trust these coaches, not even to make starter/backup/inactive decisions, why do we/would we want to keep these coaches employed?"

I don't care what Mims did wrong.  Play him.

Wow.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who cares that much about separation when he is capable of coming up with most 50/50 balls?  A competent QB can throw him open.  Flacco did it last year.  Wilson did it last week in his debut. 

He's the 2nd most talent WR we have, maybe even the MOST talented, and there's not a single good excuse for why he doesn't belong on the field for at least 10 or so snaps a game. None whatsoever.

The most talented? I disagree. I hope he turns it around, but almost every time he runs a route, a CB is sitting on his hip.

Even after his catch, he nonchalantly goes out of bounds. He should have done everything in his power to rock that DB and get into the end zone. Prove to the coaching staff that you belong.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Well then get him out of the doghouse because nothing else matters this season than seeing if Wilson can be the guy, and Mims can help him in that regard.  This coaching staff preaches "easy throws" but Wilson wanted to go all hero ball last week.  Well, at least Mims' skillset can help when Wilson decides to do this.  

Good coaches adapt their scheme to the personnel.  They don't stubbornly try to put square pegs in round holes at every step of the process.  I'm cool with the smaller WR's getting a lot of playing time and leaning on the system most of the time.  But Mims needs to serve a purpose here too even if he doesn't fit what the coaches like to do.  As @Paradis pointed out, it's highly concerning that they see Mims occupying a similar role as Deebo Samuel did, even though Deebo is 4 inches smaller than Mims.  

I don't care what Mims did wrong.  Play him.  You don't have to start him.  But play him.  8 snaps next week.  That's all I ask.  

I agree with you.  I believe the coaching staff is miffed at his attitude b/c he is not fully on board with how they want to use him.  There was even a quote from somewhere in training camp where saleh wanted mims to be more aggressive from the slot.  This is probably not what mims had in mind when he was drafted based on what he did at Baylor.  So yeah i think there’s some friction.  And yeah i think they intend to use mims in the slot sometimes.  At some point mims will either replace smith or start requesting a trade.  Give it a few more weeks.  Doesn’t help saleh that smith and cole are invisible on game days either.  The press and fans aren’t buying his reasoning nor do they care.  When berrios is the focal point of your offense, you’re in Gase territory 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Throughout camp, Moore was the best WR we had.  People here at JN were calling him a clear-cut RotY candidate.  

Now, two games in, he's a bust. 

And Mims is our savior.

Guess we'll never know till we sit Moore and start Mims I guess.

What’s wrong with the Davis, Moore and Mims trio? I don’t know either. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Most of the time I'd agree this is a player problem.  It's not.  This is the rare instance where I'm going to blame the coaches on this one.  He may never be a starting WR for this team but he will somewhere else.  And in the meantime he's still on a cheap rookie deal and needs to see the field.  

It’s possible but that’s worse news for the Jets than a busted 2nd rounder.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't how people can overlook his incredible 2.4 catches for 39.7 yards and 0 TD's per game played average he's put up since he hit the NFL.

It just screams "play me!".

Let me ask directly, do you have any faith in Saleh and LaFluer?  

Did you support their hiring?

If yes, do you no longer support their hiring?

I guess ultimately it comes down to "if we fans don't trust these coaches, not even to make starter/backup/inactive decisions, why do we/would we want to keep these coaches employed?"

Wow.

Mims' played 2 snaps last week and still ended up a close 3rd in receiving yardage on the day.  There's no good reason Braxton Berrios should be a key target while Mims is inactive.  None.  And as for 2020 we've been through this.  Sam Darnold sucked at deep ball accuracy here and he barely targeted Mims as a result.  But Flacco did, and in the 2 games they played together, his productivity put him on the level of one of the 5 or 6 best rookie receivers that year, in a loaded class.  Not bad for the 12th WR taken in the draft.

And no, I don't trust Saleh and the other coaches.  They have to earn that.  And so far this silly game they're playing with Mims puts them off to a pretty lousy start in my mind.  Nothing Mims could have done was as bad as they're painting it.  Otherwise he would already no longer be a Jet.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

everyone needs to calm down.  i agree that mims would have been a better option than moore or anyone else besides davis.  he's big and fast and looks to have decent hands.  we don't know what's going on between the coaches and mims.  what has been printed and said can be taken both ways.  the bottom line is it's saleh's team and since they're not expected to win many games he's got a lot of latitude to play the team the way he wants.  and just adding mims wouldn't changed the game's result.  wilson was way too erratic not just in accuracy but in throw selection.  hopefully he turns this around.

Disagree. Until something else works it’s literally negligent to not try this. Not expected to win? WTF is that nonsense? Zach and this young team needs to learn to win! FREE DENZEL!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The most talented? I disagree. I hope he turns it around, but almost every time he runs a route, a CB is sitting on his hip.

Even after his catch, he nonchalantly goes out of bounds. He should have done everything in his power to rock that DB and get into the end zone. Prove to the coaching staff that you belong.

I don't know much but making a 40-yard catch in one of your 2 snaps proves you indeed belong, especially when the rest of the offense struggled for much of the day.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mims' played 2 snaps last week and still ended up a close 3rd in receiving yardage on the day.  There's no good reason Braxton Berrios should be a key target while Mims is inactive.  None.  And as for 2020 we've been through this.  Sam Darnold sucked at deep ball accuracy here and he barely targeted Mims as a result.  But Flacco did, and in the 2 games they played together, his productivity put him on the level of one of the 5 or 6 best rookie receivers that year, in a loaded class.  Not bad for the 12th WR taken in the draft.

And no, I don't trust Saleh and the other coaches.  They have to earn that.  And so far this silly game they're playing with Mims puts them off to a pretty lousy start in my mind.  Nothing Mims could have done was as bad as they're painting it.  Otherwise he would already no longer be a Jet.  

The coaches are acting too smug as if their system is certain to ultimately triumph and that mims is the only one swimming against the current here.  3 points in 4 first half quarters does not scream ‘give me more Jeff smith please’.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The coaches are acting too smug as if their system is certain to ultimately triumph and that mims is the only one swimming against the current here.  3 points in 4 first half quarters does not scream ‘give me more Jeff smith please’.

Right?  All week on JN people have been saying that Mims will cost us games if he sees the field a bunch.  Does that mean the other WR's are going to win us games?  Because I just don't see that with this group yet outside of Davis.  And Wilson can't just lock in on him all game every game.

• Upvote 1

Right?  All week on JN people have been saying that Mims will cost us games if he sees the field a bunch.  Does that mean the other WR's are going to win us games?  Because I just don't see that with this group yet outside of Davis.  And Wilson can't just lock in on him all game every game.

If Jeff smith and cole were good yesterday and producing, the coaches would sound more credible.  But this increasingly seems like a standoff that hurts wilson as he could really use that big target with the huge wingspan.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mims' played 2 snaps last week and still ended up a close 3rd in receiving yardage on the day.

One busted-coverage pass play has a tendency to do that.  Math, and such.

There's no good reason Braxton Berrios should be a key target while Mims is inactive.  None.

I'm literally the biggest "Berrios Hater" on this forum, lol.  I too would prefer o see Mims play than Berrios, and certainly more than JAG's like Smith.

But I also believe in letting a Coach/Staff establish their expectations, to hold players accountable, and to build their team as they see fit.

So I side with Saleh/LaFluer for now.

And as for 2020 we've been through this.  Sam Darnold sucked at deep ball accuracy here and he barely targeted Mims as a result.

Which kinda implies Mims is a one-trick pony.  Deep bomb jump balls only?

Is that what we want Wilson throwing?  Not sure we do.

But Flacco did, and in the 2 games they played together, his productivity put him on the level of one of the 5 or 6 best rookie receivers that year, in a loaded class.  Not bad for the 12th WR taken in the draft.

Guess you're more impressed with what you saw than I was.  Fair enough.

And no, I don't trust Saleh and the other coaches.  They have to earn that.

Maybe this is exactly what Saleh/LaFluer are saying to Mims.  We don't trust you, you have to earn it.

And so far this silly game they're playing with Mims puts them off to a pretty lousy start in my mind.  Nothing Mims could have done was as bad as they're painting it.  Otherwise he would already no longer be a Jet.  

/shrug, maybe.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Indeed which is why I'm even more pissed than I would be if Mims was simply not good.  He is good.  And he deserves some opportunities to show it, like he showed last week.

I mean I’m a Mims truther and I want to be right for lots of reasons but that’s a small sample size and what’s the motive for Saleh to not play a good player?

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

I mean I’m a Mims truther and I want to be right for lots of reasons but that’s a small sample size and what’s the motive for Saleh to not play a good player?

If mims is reluctant to do what the coaches ask and then gets major playing time it sends the wrong message to all the other young guys that you can beat the system if you’re good and talented.  So yeah i think the coaches are making a major example of mims, a 2nd round pick who they want to show all the other young guys that you have to do what they ask to play.  

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which kinda implies Mims is a one-trick pony.  Deep bomb jump balls only?

It's a pretty important trick.  Didn't Joe Douglas admit he wished he hadn't let Robby Anderson go?  What is Robby, if not a one trick pony?  Maybe he was lying about that, but still.  And like I said, I'm not advocating Mims becoming an immediate starter.  Only serving as a deep threat/red zone guy/decoy/run blocker on about 8 snaps a game.  That's not a lot to ask.

And I don't think Mims even IS a one trick pony.  He can post up smaller DB's on shorter throws too, if needed.  He also has the potential to be a terrific red zone threat for a team that currently has 1 or none.  You don't need to know much about the playbook to do any of that.

It's a pretty important trick.  Didn't Joe Douglas admit he wished he hadn't let Robby Anderson go?  What is Robby, if not a one trick pony?  Maybe he was lying about that, but still.

And I don't think he even is.  He can post up smaller DB's on shorter throws too.  He also has the potential to be a terrific red zone threat for a team that currently has 1 or none.  

Not every wr is a complete wr stud but nevertheless has value.  Put mims out there yesterday and you instantly have a size advantage throwing deep that puts more of a strain on the secondary.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Must be that robust 10 pts a game average so far that the coaching staff is relying on......Cole 1 catch 5 yds......Smith 1 catch 35 yards after game was no longer competitive........Must be some playbook they learned!......;)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If mims is reluctant to do what the coaches ask and then gets major playing time it sends the wrong message to all the other young guys that you can beat the system if you’re good and talented.  So yeah i think the coaches are making a major example of mims, a 2nd round pick who they want to show all the other young guys that you have to do what they ask to play.  

Please watch North Dallas Forty.  Elite players are not treated like everyone else.  Parcells would say, everyone gets treated fairly, not equal.

2 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Must be that robust 10 pts a game average so far that the coaching staff is relying on......Cole 1 catch 5 yds......Smith 1 catch 35 yards after game was no longer competitive........Must be some playbook they learned!......;)

Just you wait.  When we have all 15 of our slot receivers healthy this offense will be HUMMING. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

This conspiracy is much less likely than Mims sucks or has an attitude problem 

Robert Saleh has been quoted as saying he sees Mims playing a Deebo Samuel role here.  Yes, Deebo Samuel, all 6-0 of him.  

That's not a conspiracy.  That's what's going on.  This offense likes tiny receivers and sees little use for a 6-3 deep threat.  All the other stuff Saleh is claiming is just window dressing. 

Sure, maybe Mims' attitude isn't great because he doesn't want to be treated like a slot receiver (nor should he), but if the coaches were able to simply find use for him in the way he SHOULD be used, that wouldn't be an issue.

Being inflexible is not good leadership.  

Just BS that he isn't getting a shot. I understand he may not know the playbook, or all 3 positions. But WE must find out if he is good or not. We can't let another organization find that out. Also, saying it will hurt ZW's development is bullsh*t. Mims must be given a chance. 

Don’t tell me Mims isn’t  showing enough in practice when the guys he’s stuck behind don’t do anything on game day. Keelan Cole may as well have been inactive yesterday and he’s been anointed a starter since he got here lol Smith and Berrios over Mims, Fant starting over Moses, the CS has earned a little criticism here 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a pretty important trick.  Didn't Joe Douglas admit he wished he hadn't let Robby Anderson go?  What is Robby, if not a one trick pony?  Maybe he was lying about that, but still.  And like I said, I'm not advocating Mims becoming an immediate starter.  Only serving as a deep threat/red zone guy/decoy/run blocker on about 8 snaps a game.  That's not a lot to ask.

And I don't think Mims even IS a one trick pony.  He can post up smaller DB's on shorter throws too, if needed.  He also has the potential to be a terrific red zone threat for a team that currently has 1 or none.  You don't need to know much about the playbook to do any of that.

In an effort to find a point of agreement, I'll say this:  Mims should be active, and should get some # of plays a game, even if he is in the doghouse rightfully or wrongfully.

• Upvote 2