Quinnen Williams…

k-met57

16 hours ago, k-met57 said:

At the risk of detracting from all the Zach Wilson drama, Quinnen is probably the guy i am most disappointed with so far this year. I thought he was supposed to be a beast in this system, esp coming off last year.

I dont know if he’s been good or not because he has been kind of invisible. He hasn’t even been the best DL, JFM probably has been.

lets hope he is just shaking the rust off.

Rusty, Very rusty.

12 hours ago, LockeJET said:

When you don’t win anything big for 50 years it’s not just the GM’s. it’s both the coaches have sucked and GMs. and terrible ownership. Players don’t play well elsewhere because they shouldn’t have been drafted in the first place. That of course is on the GM. 

Exactly.  So you agree.  We draft horrible players.  That's the bigger problem. 

The coaches have been bad too but when you don't have talent in the first place (or a QB), the best coaches in the league can't help you.

The BIGGEST problem I've had with the coaches are the ones that have gotten to call their shots on the players they acquire here, and done poorly in that endeavour.  Rex Ryan helped run the roster into the ground because Tannenbaum listened to him too much.  Bowles is the reason we drafted Darron Lee in the first round.  Etc etc.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:32 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

If that were the case, a lot more former Jets would have success elsewhere.  You can count on one, maybe 2 hands the guys in recent years who went on to success with other teams over the years.  James Farrior, Jonathan Vilma, Demario Davis....who else?  Danny Woodhead?  

The coaching here has indeed mostly sucked, but the GM's have been the far bigger problem.

Sam Darnold! :D 

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 5:01 AM, DLJ said:

Defense least of our problems today

Agreed - the score didn't look great, but given the ridiculous field position we were giving NE it could easily have been a 30+ point loss / massacre.

2 TDs and 4 FGs against Belichick is a good outcome anytime you play them, D deserves a lot of credit. We actually outgained NE in rushing yards, passing yards and 3rd down %. Competent QB / WR play and we likely win that game.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Agreed - the score didn't look great, but given the ridiculous field position we were giving NE it could easily have been a 30+ point loss / massacre.

2 TDs and 4 FGs against Belichick is a good outcome anytime you play them, D deserves a lot of credit. We actually outgained NE in rushing yards, passing yards and 3rd down %. Competent QB / WR play and we likely win that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Obviously that play was horrific...

But it's really really hard to play defense in today's NFL if your offense can't do anything. The rules, officiating, etc. are all slanted toward offense. Offensive players are coming in more prepared than even (well, skill players anyway) to succeed right away. The league is dominated by offense. Even bad QBs put up numbers.

Our defense, with CJ Mosley, Marcus Maye, Quinnen Williams -- and a collection  of late round picks, UDFAs, and castoffs -- has played pretty great IMO. The offense goes three and out or turns the ball over constantly. They get no rest. They're never playing with a lead. But they are feisty, play hard, and have us ranked in or near the top ten in every category.

The fact that the defense looks kind of solid is one of the overlooked stories of the season so far because the offense absolutely sucking yet again has completely dominated the narrative.

You put this defense on the field with an offense that is half decent they might be 2-0.

Bingo 

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2021 at 9:32 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

If that were the case, a lot more former Jets would have success elsewhere.  You can count on one, maybe 2 hands the guys in recent years who went on to success with other teams over the years.  James Farrior, Jonathan Vilma, Demario Davis....who else?  Danny Woodhead?  

The coaching here has indeed mostly sucked, but the GM's have been the far bigger problem.

You’re officially old, counting Farrior’s departure to Pittsburgh as “recent” years. Tell-tale sign: things that happened ~20 years ago seem like 20 days ago. 

Welcome to the club, boomer. 

Next up for JF80 debate: which is the best Ensure flavor?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re officially old, counting Farrior’s departure to Pittsburgh as “recent” years. Tell-tale sign: things that happened ~20 years ago seem like 20 days ago. 

Welcome to the club, boomer. 

Next up for JF80 debate: which is the best Ensure flavor?

Dammit, now because of this I'm gonna get the @Bleedin Green treatment now where people assume I'm old!

Then again, BG might actually be old by now these days.  Even that joke started on JN a long time ago.  lol.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dammit, now because of this I'm gonna get the @Bleedin Green treatment now where people assume I'm old!

Then again, BG might actually be old by now these days.  Even that joke started on JN a long time ago.  lol.

Well I mean, not that old, but definitely a bit closer than when that started like a decade+ ago.

• Haha 2

We draft guys like Williams (both), Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Robertson……. Meanwhile throughout the entire time we have been loaded with late round/undrafted DT’s that play consistently as good or better than these 1st round guys. Unless it’s Aaron Donald or Warren Sapp, DT is not a position we should be throwing high picks or big money at. Trade Quinnen at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  So you agree.  We draft horrible players.  That's the bigger problem. 

The coaches have been bad too but when you don't have talent in the first place (or a QB), the best coaches in the league can't help you.

The BIGGEST problem I've had with the coaches are the ones that have gotten to call their shots on the players they acquire here, and done poorly in that endeavour.  Rex Ryan helped run the roster into the ground because Tannenbaum listened to him too much.  Bowles is the reason we drafted Darron Lee in the first round.  Etc etc.

simplistic and wrong.

First of all, if we're talking about the majority of Jets history and not just the last 10 years, I remember a certain BB taking half the Jets defense with him when he won the first of his SBs. I remember the Washington Redskins and NY Giants stealing our WR and OL one year. There are plenty of ex-Jets in the league: Robby Anderson, Sam Darnold, even the Jets sucky RG wound up on the Bills last year. 

The Jets draft good enough players. BUT they have tended over the years, and especially the losing years, to draft good 'football' guys vs. over-the-top talent guys. So much so that when the Jets DO draft an over-the-top talent guy, the fans quickly start dissing him for being himself (Becton). There have been some "horrible" choices: Vernon Gholston, Ryan Yarborough, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson (CB) come to mind. But because it's the NFL and a team sport that requires 11 players, it's easy to get a second and third chance. And it's also easy to be a decent player on a mediocre team because they all basically have similar measurables.

IMO, the problem has been a disconnect between coaching and GMing. Last year was the result: JD had to draft for Gase's team or at least neutrally. Gase goes and now he has someone who he has a connection with. This is the best we could hope for and what has been missing. JD has HIS guy, his QB, his everything. And we have a fresh start.

Now, all we need is patience.

20 minutes ago, phill1c said:

simplistic and wrong.

First of all, if we're talking about the majority of Jets history and not just the last 10 years, I remember a certain BB taking half the Jets defense with him when he won the first of his SBs. I remember the Washington Redskins and NY Giants stealing our WR and OL one year. There are plenty of ex-Jets in the league: Robby Anderson, Sam Darnold, even the Jets sucky RG wound up on the Bills last year. 

The Jets draft good enough players. BUT they have tended over the years, and especially the losing years, to draft good 'football' guys vs. over-the-top talent guys. So much so that when the Jets DO draft an over-the-top talent guy, the fans quickly start dissing him for being himself (Becton). There have been some "horrible" choices: Vernon Gholston, Ryan Yarborough, Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson (CB) come to mind. But because it's the NFL and a team sport that requires 11 players, it's easy to get a second and third chance. And it's also easy to be a decent player on a mediocre team because they all basically have similar measurables.

IMO, the problem has been a disconnect between coaching and GMing. Last year was the result: JD had to draft for Gase's team or at least neutrally. Gase goes and now he has someone who he has a connection with. This is the best we could hope for and what has been missing. JD has HIS guy, his QB, his everything. And we have a fresh start.

Now, all we need is patience.

Who are these good football guys? The Jets if anything haven’t accounted for that at all. Go through the last 10 years of rounds 1-3 and most of them flamed out because of commitment to football and or injury. They haven’t accounted for football character at all.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

We draft guys like Williams (both), Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Robertson……. Meanwhile throughout the entire time we have been loaded with late round/undrafted DT’s that play consistently as good or better than these 1st round guys. Unless it’s Aaron Donald or Warren Sapp, DT is not a position we should be throwing high picks or big money at. Trade Quinnen at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This.  I despised the Richardson pick from the moment it was made and even when he was looking better last year, I still felt the selection itself was an awful choice (which of course is by no measure his fault).  While some were arguing which DT would be best to take at that spot, I was rather adamant that the position should've been off the board entirely at that pick.  While it's different if you're talking about a completely dominant player at the position, the truth is there are quality starter-level players that can not only be found throughout later rounds of the draft, but even regularly showing up in FA.  The Jets felt the need to continually pummel resources into what by a wide margin has been nowhere near a position of need for a very, very long time, while endlessly ignoring their biggest issues.

With that said, the pick was already made and he's here.  If they get a very good offer for Quinnen, then it should certainly be considered, but he's also not worth forcing out the door for cheap either.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, phill1c said:

The Jets draft good enough players.

lmao.

Do you not remember Jason @ overthecap's stat?  During the Macc era, no team in the NFL had more players out of the league within 2-3 years than the Jets did.  And the latter half of the Tannenbaum era and the Idzik years were not much better in that regard.

No, the Jets absolutely do not draft "good enough players".  This franchise hasn't had a quality draft since 2007.  The 2013 draft was merely OK.  2020 isn't looking good. 

Hopefully the 2021 draft ends up bucking the trend, and we'll definitely need the 2022 class to be a smashing success.