booing Zach

doitny

20 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I guess you never seen football in the South or the Mid-west... Football is their life... not in NYC... so don't be a jackass.

You just said the Provo, Utah media covering amateur sports is no different than NYC media covering professional sports, and I'm being the jackass?  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sure in 5 years when Wilson is earning tens of millions of dollars every year he'll really think back to being booed during what was probably his worst performance as a professional footballer player.

Without going off on a tangent about how much I hate youth sports nowadays, but I'm sick of everyone getting a participation medal. You don't know the effort and commitment it takes to win, unless you experience what it's like to lose. I coached soccer for a few years over here and it got to a point where they wouldn't even print scorelines in the local paper anymore because it "upset children seeing themselves if they lost by a lot". Ridiculous.

Be bad. Get booed. Get better. Get cheered. It's not rocket science and if you can't take it, perhaps professional sports infront of millions isn't for you.

14 minutes ago, British Jet said:

I'm sure in 5 years when Wilson is earning tens of millions of dollars every year he'll really think back to being booed during what was probably his worst performance as a professional footballer player.

Without going off on a tangent about how much I hate youth sports nowadays, but I'm sick of everyone getting a participation medal. You don't know the effort and commitment it takes to win, unless you experience what it's like to lose. I coached soccer for a few years over here and it got to a point where they wouldn't even print scorelines in the local paper anymore because it "upset children seeing themselves if they lost by a lot". Ridiculous.

Be bad. Get booed. Get better. Get cheered. It's not rocket science and if you can't take it, perhaps professional sports infront of millions isn't for you.

So we shouldn't boost a child's self-confidence & esteem, especially in struggling areas? Booing and telling they are bad is a better for their development and psyche, in your opinion.

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

So we shouldn't boost a child's self-confidence & esteem, especially in struggling areas? Booing and telling they are bad is a better for their development and psyche, in your opinion.

Zach Wilson is not a child. 

Not giving every child a medal, is not booing a child. 

You're twisting my words to suit a narrative.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Zach Wilson is not a child. 

Not giving every child a medal, is not booing a child. 

You're twisting my words to suit a narrative.

You wrote that they shouldn't print the score lines in local paper because it upset the children. And you called it "ridiculous".

The emphasis of youth sports besides exercise, should be teamwork & communication. Participation trophies is an acknowledgement that the child put in the hard work, time and effort that goes along with being a part of youth sports team. No child is confusing getting their modest award with being the team MVP.

13 minutes ago, Claymation said:

You wrote that they shouldn't print the score lines in local paper because it upset the children. And you called it "ridiculous".

The emphasis of youth sports besides exercise, should be teamwork & communication. Participation trophies is an acknowledgement that the child put in the hard work, time and effort that goes along with being a part of youth sports team. No child is confusing getting their modest award with being the team MVP.

And yet, I didn't state that was equal to booing a child did I?

I disagree with your final sentence. You're calling it a "modest award". Where is the source of the drive to improve if you're going home with a trophy win or lose? Where does that fire to be the best come from? You think Tom Brady would want to win Super Bowls at 44 if he got a ring for taking part?

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

No, we were talking about participation medals for children.

What happened to a slice of pizza or an ice cream cone.  Participation medals hell no.  Take Zach out for a DQ after a tough loss and don't forget to bring back a Dilly bar for Mekhi.  

On 9/24/2021 at 12:53 PM, Warfish said:

I would never think to boo the home team.  Not my Nats.  Not the Jets.

Part of my NY'er heritage I guess maybe I left behind, the idea of booing my team would never even occur to me.

Maybe if they were dogging it or quit.  But they aren't, they just arent talented or experienced enough right now.