Face it JD Fans..He doesn't know how to draft

9 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Ashtyn Davis, James Morgan, Zuniga, Perine, in 2020..the list goes on this year..Round 4 Michael Carter looks decent, but the rest?..que pasa?..looks like we got a bust factory going on.. 

Angry Black Friday GIF by Buyout Footage

Idk but that name Zuniga always screamed bust to me 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

But also don’t forget how much money we saved by going Perriman/Fant instead of Robby/Conklin.

Every little helps.

Draft picks and roll over cap league champs. Hey, when you don't have football wins, that's all we have to cheer.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Idk. Bryce Hall, Bryce Huff, MC1, MC2, Javelin Guidry, AVT all played well yesterday.

Becton was a top 10 left tackle last year.

Jury is still out on Mims and Moore, Hamsah.

Douglas also picked up Berrios and JFM off waivers. 

All decent players but not a difference maker among them.

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

All decent players but not a difference maker among them.

I’m afraid we’re going to have to be patient about difference makers. Wilson is supposed to be that guy and he’s going to be the guy who will turn Moore into a difference maker or some other players.  That’s the way the nfl works and the jets just joined this season after being laid off for 10 years.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Idk. Bryce Hall, Bryce Huff, MC1, MC2, Javelin Guidry, AVT all played well yesterday.

Becton was a top 10 left tackle last year.

Jury is still out on Mims and Moore, Hamsah.

Douglas also picked up Berrios and JFM off waivers. 

If Mims with his A++ athletic profile can't even dress on this team to run 3-4 go routes a game... 

Look, the 2020 draft, right now, is looking a little dismal for sure; however, there are some legitimate things that could explain it.

At this point, I don’t know if I list Covid as one since the rest of the league dealt with it as well, so it does level the field a bit. The ones that I see having more of an impact are it being JDs first draft as head honcho, and that he probably drafted players with Gase in mind. Becton was good last season and didn’t have a history of injuries in college. I can’t blame JD for this one. The Mims situation is just weird and not one of us really knows whats up. Davis, Zuniga, and Morgan are odd picks, but I still think Davis can be effective if he can get on the field. Hall has been good, and the punter has been serviceable. Clark is injured, obviously so who knows. This draft was not great by any means, but there are contributors there.

This past draft class has been pretty good so far, actually. Wilson, as we saw, stunk, but the rest of the active class is progressing. AVT played well, the Carters played well, Moore flashed, etc. it’s still only two games games though. It could go either way. Its not as bad as you think. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

As hard as I am on GM's drafting ability, I'm somewhat of mind to give him a pass on the 2020 draft.  It was his first ever draft, it was totally wonky with Covid impacting the ability to do the normal process, if I'm not mistaken he didnt have his scouts yet, right?  Either way, he was also drafting for a different scheme/coaching staff which could impact some of the decision making.

If Becton and Hall hit...and he gets something out of a Davis/Perrine/Mims, it's not a total disaster.  Just seems it now because the only player on the field is Hall.

Way to early to know what you have in 2021 but I thought AVT, Carter and the young defenders play quite well yesterday.  Obviously, it's ultimately all about Zachkapono but even as bad as he's been, its way too soon to know.

Also not like he had much of a choice. He kept CJ Mosley who led this team in tackles yesterday exactly the way he is being paid to. People all talking about cutting him, all washed up, fat and happy whatever. Dude is back and balling!

Thank you Joe Douglas. Thank you 

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2021 at 6:50 AM, JiFapono said:

As hard as I am on GM's drafting ability, I'm somewhat of mind to give him a pass on the 2020 draft.  It was his first ever draft, it was totally wonky with Covid impacting the ability to do the normal process, if I'm not mistaken he didnt have his scouts yet, right?  Either way, he was also drafting for a different scheme/coaching staff which could impact some of the decision making.

If Becton and Hall hit...and he gets something out of a Davis/Perrine/Mims, it's not a total disaster.  Just seems it now because the only player on the field is Hall.

Way to early to know what you have in 2021 but I thought AVT, Carter and the young defenders play quite well yesterday.  Obviously, it's ultimately all about Zachkapono but even as bad as he's been, its way too soon to know.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:19 AM, the Claw said:

Look, the 2020 draft, right now, is looking a little dismal for sure; however, there are some legitimate things that could explain it.

At this point, I don’t know if I list Covid as one since the rest of the league dealt with it as well, so it does level the field a bit. The ones that I see having more of an impact are it being JDs first draft as head honcho, and that he probably drafted players with Gase in mind. Becton was good last season and didn’t have a history of injuries in college. I can’t blame JD for this one. The Mims situation is just weird and not one of us really knows whats up. Davis, Zuniga, and Morgan are odd picks, but I still think Davis can be effective if he can get on the field. Hall has been good, and the punter has been serviceable. Clark is injured, obviously so who knows. This draft was not great by any means, but there are contributors there.

This past draft class has been pretty good so far, actually. Wilson, as we saw, stunk, but the rest of the active class is progressing. AVT played well, the Carters played well, Moore flashed, etc. it’s still only two games games though. It could go either way. Its not as bad as you think. 

The problem with his drafts, and i think i said this somehwere else - is the lack of success. Not necessarily that the book is closed on 2020 class yet - but where are the landmark picks? Where's the guys that are showing up to validate his prowess? 

• Wilson has a long way to go to start looking like a Herbert type success. 
  • WRs... well i won't go there, think Moore is fine, just being over-thrusted 
  • Oline.. no great campfire stories there. at all
  • Secondary - potential there, but no one's balling out yet
  • Running back - again, decent but no story to herald. Maybe some hope with MC

In 2.5 years with a lot of $$$$ and a lot PICKS -- his resume is as middle of the fkcing road as it gets. 

And thats not good enough.

• Thumb Down 1

JD can’t be held responsible for injuries. I think this year’s draft looks promising. Like the 2 Carter guys and some of the later picks. Think though that Zach would have benefitted from a veteran Qb presence. AVT will be fine. Should have drafted more off. Linemen though. The depth is really worrisome. He totally ignored TEs, supposedly a QBs best friend

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Ashtyn Davis, James Morgan, Zuniga, Perine, in 2020..the list goes on this year..Round 4 Michael Carter looks decent, but the rest?..que pasa?..looks like we got a bust factory going on.. 

Didn't Echols and Ariaga II both play a ton of snaps yesterday? We ran for like 5 YPC behind AVT, Moore went 4/47, etc. What a weird thread. Great username though

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Yeah.. Pretty much goes the same for every organization LMAO. The overwhelming majority players in the draft bust. They're lottery tickets. If you get a few quality guys you're doing good and i think Joe has done that so far 

Drafted Players (From Pro-Football Reference):

Misc       Passing Rushing Receiving      
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2021 1 Zach Wilson 2 QB 2021 0 0 0 0 2 39 70 468 2 5 3 19 0           BYU
2021 1 Alijah Vera-Tucker 14 OL 2021 0 0 0 0 2                           USC
2021 2 Elijah Moore 34 WR 2021 0 0 0 0 2                 5 44 0     Mississippi
2021 4 Michael Carter 107 RB 2021 0 0 0 0 2           15 65 0 3 43 0     North Carolina
2021 5 Jamien Sherwood 146 DB 2021 0 0 0 0 1                           Auburn
2021 5 Michael Carter 154 S 2021 0 0 0 0 2                           Duke
2021 5 Jason Pinnock 175 CB   0 0 0                               Pittsburgh
2021 6 Hamsah Nasirildeen 186 DB 2021 0 0 0 0 2                           Florida St.
2021 6 Brandin Echols 200 CB 2021 0 0 0 0 2                           Kentucky
2021 6 Jonathan Marshall 207 DL   0 0 0                               Arkansas
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2020 1 Mekhi Becton 11 T 2021 0 0 1 4 15                           Louisville
2020 2 Denzel Mims 59 WR 2021 0 0 1 2 10                 24 397 0     Baylor
2020 3 Ashtyn Davis 68 S 2020 0 0 1 3 10                           California
2020 3 Jabari Zuniga 79 DE 2020 0 0 0 0 8                           Florida
2020 4 La'Mical Perine 120 RB 2020 0 0 0 2 10           64 232 2 11 63 0     Florida
2020 4 James Morgan 125 QB   0 0 0                               Florida International
2020 4 Cameron Clark 129 T   0 0 0                               Charlotte
2020 5 Bryce Hall 158 CB 2021 0 0 1 4 10                       1   Virginia
2020 6 Braden Mann 191 P 2021 0 0 0 2 17                           Texas A&M

Not a great look so far for the 2020 class to be fair.

Becton looked good with lots of upside last year, had a bad camp, bad week 1, then got hurt for a big chunk of this season looks like.

Mims is benched/inactive, the center of the dram right now here at JN.  But not playing. 

Same as Perine, but no one is drama'ing for Perine.

David, hurt, wasn't great so far. 

Zuniga, Morgan, Clark, egh.  

Hall looks good IMO.  Mann was ok (till hurt). 

Verdict:  Becton might stay, Hall, Mims maybe?

For 2021, it's too early to tell for any of them really IMO.  Got to give these kids a t least a season to start basing viewpoints on, but not a ton of early "wow!" from this group either honestly.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

The problem with his drafts, and i think i said this somehwere else - is the lack of success. Not necessarily that the book is closed on 2020 class yet - but where are the landmark picks? Where's the guys that are showing up to validate his prowess? 

• Wilson has a long way to go to start looking like a Hubert type success. 
  • WRs... well i won't go there, think Moore is fine, just being over-thrusted 
  • Oline.. no great campfire stories there. at all
  • Secondary - potential there, but no one's balling out yet
  • Running back - again, decent but no story to herald. Maybe some hope with MC

In 2.5 years with a lot of $$$$ and a lot PICKS -- his resume is as middle of the fkcing road as it gets. 

And thats not good enough.

I fail to see how he’s had a lot of picks. He’s had two drafts and his second draft class is in their third week of league play. I agree that that his first draft looks rough right now but I don’t think he really reached for anybody. 

and what do you mean landmark picks? Wilson wasn’t a “landmark pick?” Lawrence sucked this past week too should he have passed on him if he picked first?  

has he made questionable personnel choices? Yes. What GM hasn’t? I have not been happy with his OLine FA signings so far, although I liked the Moses signing. Honestly, with the team that Mac left it’s no wonder it’s taking longer to see results. I saw the team at 6-11 this year and I still think that’s where they’ll be. I do think they will be more competitive than during Gase’s tenure.

The guy’s been doing the job for two years, basically. Why did you think a second year GM was going to be any better than middle of the road? 

• Upvote 1